• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nintendo getting one final Direct in before the investor's meeting makes sense.
Which is why it won't happen. Nintendo has been very ass backwards with marketing since October. The more something makes sense to do at a certain point, the less likely they are to do it. Nintendo has an infatuation with subverting tropes now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Which is why it won't happen. Nintendo has been very ass backwards with marketing since October. The more something makes sense to do at a certain point, the less likely they are to do it. Nintendo has an infatuation with subverting tropes now.
Which begs the question, why do we continue to stay as Nintendo fans? I feel like I have Stockholm Syndrome after all they've put us through, I swear.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Which begs the question, why do we continue to stay as Nintendo fans? I feel like I have Stockholm Syndrome after all they've put us through, I swear.
The wait will be worth it. People openly reevaluate their stances on eugenics and vivisection whenever I say this but there's enough stuff that's supposed to happen that this upcoming Direct will be one of the best ever. Again, here's a recap of the first/second party stuff that's supposed to be happening "soon":

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2995#post-24018580

Beyond that, there's a decent amount of third-party stuff supposedly waiting in the wings like DOOM Eternal is supposed to be getting some very cool first party content, Namco is supposed to be reviving a very heavily requested dead franchise soon, the Microsoft bombshells, Square's super secret upcoming Nintendo exclusive, several Nintendo/Indie collabs, etc on the pile as well. If Nintendo has decided to do all this **** in a single presentation, that's beyond amazing and the almost year long drought will be forgiven within minutes of the presentation wrapping up.

MattX20

Smash Hero
They have to, not because of us, but because of their investors. They've got no choice in the matter if they want to keep their investors confident in them. That, and the next amiibo wave makes it perfectly clear the next DLC fighter is likely releasing in September. If the DQ heros could be announced in June and released near the end of July, then it's just as plausible for FP7 to be announced in August and released in September.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nintendo hasn't done nearly as bad of stuff to make me want pack up my bags and leave. And of course there's this virus so things being a mess is understandable (.....to a point). Still, I'm not frustrated enough to leave, but a bit to the point where I acknowledge Nintendo's craptacular marketing.

Now, when all this is said and done, we are all stabilized and back to normal and Nintendo is STILL doing this while literally everyone else has moved on? Yea, that's when we start questioning support in Nintendo.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
They have to, not because of us, but because of their investors. They've got no choice in the matter if they want to keep their investors confident in them. That, and the next amiibo wave makes it perfectly clear the next DLC fighter is likely releasing in September. If the DQ heros could be announced in June and released near the end of July, then it's just as plausible for FP7 to be announced in August and released in September.
They don’t have to reveal anything to consumers. Just to their investors.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
First Covid-19 robbed us of a potential 6/9/2020 Geno reveal and now it's robbed us of character 77 in July. Will the atrocities never cease? Also I'm okay with the presentation being next Monday if true because this means I have enough time to ask off work.
I never quite understood how Geno was allegedly going to be revealed in July. It didnt make sense chronologically.
Precorona, when the roster was planned, it was probable we would have gotten two reveals at E3. That's June. In what world would we have then gotten another in July?
The only timeline that fits this, completely unspoken as far as I've seen in speculation, would have been if Min Min were released much earlier, we got two reveals at E3, and then the first of those two characters released on 7/7 and it were Geno.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I never quite understood how Geno was allegedly going to be revealed in July. It didnt make sense chronologically.
Precorona, when the roster was planned, it was probable we would have gotten two reveals at E3. That's June. In what world would we have then gotten another in July?
The only timeline that fits this, completely unspoken as far as I've seen in speculation, would have been if Min Min were released much earlier, we got two reveals at E3, and then the first of those two characters released on 7/7 and it were Geno.
I think it was just for the elegance of CP7, which would be fighter 77 (and perhaps from legend of the 7 stars) being revealed/released in the 7th month of the year, not necessarily a serious analysis of how it was supposed to go.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've missed out on most of these supposed teases for something that's coming tomorrow, but I'm expecting it's going to be another 8-10 minute mini-Direct if we get anything at all. Hopefully the line-up of games will be better if that's the case. (I'm considering Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne due to the Merciful mode, but the fact that this version isn't Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series has me unsure about picking it up)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The wait will be worth it. People openly reevaluate their stances on eugenics and vivisection whenever I say this but there's enough stuff that's supposed to happen that this upcoming Direct will be one of the best ever. Again, here's a recap of the first/second party stuff that's supposed to be happening "soon":

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2995#post-24018580
By no means am I denying that (hopefully*; I'm unsure based on my personal tastes but I know it'll be huge for most people), it's just getting boring. Speculation was boring forever ago when it was basically confirmed that Geno is in, so now every day it's "how much more is he in by?", which was exciting at first but simply isn't any more. I'm at the point where I won't even be screaming/thrilled when he gets in, like I did with BK, because I didn't follow BK's speculation until the week of E3. Now I'll just be like "hah, knew it." when Geno gets in.

The problem is that I'm just tired of waiting. I'd rather have multiple, small, good/not bad directs than wait A FREAKING YEAR SINCE THE LAST MEDIOCRE ONE to get this bombshell of a direct, especially after most things have already been leaked about it. It'll have been 14 months since E3 last year, which I consider as the last "good or better" direct, which is absolutely horrendous to have made us wait this long. Yes COVID blah blah, but it's just not an excuse to not give us anything for this long, especially when Microsoft and Sony both have their consoles launching in the holiday and we still don't even know what the big holiday title is this year (first time during the Switch's lifecycle we didn't find out in the Q1 direct). Also, remember when in February we were all like "psh there's no way we'll be waiting til March for a Q1 direct"? That then turned into a "psh, there's no way we'll have to wait for June for info". Now it's "psh there's no way we have to wait for September", like enough is enough. I'm so fed up with this goalpost pushing in defense of Nintendo that it's just causing my expectations for this direct to either be god's gift to gaming, or I'll just end up disappointed that I waited FOURTEEN MONTHS for it. It's going to have impossibly high expectations, and then Nintendo will think "yeah we did it, we made an amazing direct" and then not drop anything else at least until E3 next year. It's just exhausting to be this starved for news.

*If we get some BOTW2/2D Metroid stuff, I'll definitely be pretty stoked. Rare Replay would also be a nice bonus. Also greatly depends on what those dead franchises are.

but I'm expecting it's going to be another 8-10 minute mini-Direct if we get anything at all.
It's not another partner direct, seeing as how the one on Monday said "July 2020" not "July 20th 2020". Unless they wanna do a "Partner Showcase Part II July 2020", which just sounds really stupid. King Zell also said "nothing this month" in terms of directs (which the showcases do fall under), so unless this is shadowdropped and they're going with a "part 2 for July 2020", it's not gonna be that.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
To follow with the importance of an announcement (news dump/Direct) in order to quell investor concerns, again at the end of the day Nintendo is a Company. Albeit the expressions from fans and most notably "brand ambassadors" may weigh-in as a grain of sand on the Company's decisions, it is the perception from investors as well as their feedback that weighs in the heaviest. If tomorrow once the Tokyo stock exchange market opens up, Nintendo's stock continues to decline, and no relevant news are made public by Nintendo (solid game announcements, or Direct announcements), investors' concerns will strengthen and will most certainly result in a heads up to the board of Directors.

Investor A: "Yo Nintendo, what's this? Why is the stock plunging another [insert numeric value here] Yen? Is everything under control?"
Investor B: "Did you guys take a look at last Monday's NOA Direct Mini? Not too many people seemed too happy about that."
Investor C: "Say, why did the Japan Direct Mini had more game announcements than the NOA one? Was there no communication between branches?"
Investor D: "Now now, I understand we're still in the midst of a global pandemic however, as of right now Sony's in the lead this year in regards to their overall lineup, with Microsoft trailing a potential second and Nintendo almost tying-in."
Investor E: "On the subject of the impact of the pandemic on operations, how are they coming along? In the last meeting Mr. Furukawa mentioned some productions possibly experiencing delays but didn't went into much detail."

These are only a few of possible concerns Nintendo investors and other stakeholders may have. It is in Nintendo's best interest to release some good news (again, a solid Direct would be best) soon, otherwise they'll be meeting with testy and irritated investors on August 6th.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I've missed out on most of these supposed teases for something that's coming tomorrow, but I'm expecting it's going to be another 8-10 minute mini-Direct if we get anything at all. Hopefully the line-up of games will be better if that's the case. (I'm considering Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne due to the Merciful mode, but the fact that this version isn't Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series has me unsure about picking it up)
What a second, THAT's where that meme comes from? Holy ****...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Beyond that, there's a decent amount of third-party stuff supposedly waiting in the wings like DOOM Eternal is supposed to be getting some very cool first party content, Namco is supposed to be reviving a very heavily requested dead franchise soon, the Microsoft bombshells, Square's super secret upcoming Nintendo exclusive, several Nintendo/Indie collabs, etc on the pile as well. If Nintendo has decided to do all this **** in a single presentation, that's beyond amazing and the almost year long drought will be forgiven within minutes of the presentation wrapping up.
Assuming these are legit and their E3 would have been huge, what hasn't helped Nintendo is that when they finally decided to do any kind of showcase post E3, they headlined them with questionable stuff (SMT aside), giving the image that they DON'T have massive plans since why wouldn't they show that FIRST? Really, showcasing Bakugan and giving it longer than needed air time is what screwed them over. The first post E3 event that discusses a major (and right now last) 1st party game and after months of literally silence they actually felt that Bakugan was the right decision to highlight. Not SMT, not an update on BOTW2 or NMH3 or even just saving the Mario Maker DLC for that event.

Basically, despite all the wink wink nudge nudge coyness from various insiders, Nintendo continues to act like 'We have no idea what they are talking about' and the longer this goes on, the less it feels like its actually an act from Nintendo. Honestly? I'm tired of hearing about these Mario 35th anniversary games from many of the insiders. From now on, the only one I want to hear this from is from Nintendo's direct mouth.

And I'm not dismissing leakers and insiders with big news as being untrustworthy. No, its the opposite: I don't believe them because I'm untrustworthy of NINTENDO.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
otherwise they'll be meeting with testy and irritated investors on August 6th.
Just a reminder that there's no actual meeting, it's just a quarterly earnings report. That said, when investors see it and also look at the future of Nintendo's lineup (LITERALLY NOTHING AT THE MOMENT), they'll definitely start to worry, unless they were privy to information that we simply don't have access to (excluding insider stuff).

Really, showcasing Bakugan and giving it longer than needed air time is what screwed them over.
That, and then brainlessly dropping a partner showcase before the big direct. Honestly, it really is starting to make me paranoid that we're chasing thin air regarding this big direct. It's insane how utterly oblivious and tone deaf Nintendo has been.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
-We have decent evidence that Min Min would have been an April release if she hadn't been delayed. There was an Amiibo wave planned for April 17th that wound up postponed in most areas until June 12th.

-6/9/2020 was supposed to be the E3 presentation. If it had been like last year, we would have gotten at least 7 and 8 and, if they simply repeated things from last year, 7 probably would have been a July release, just like Hero.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Even without Dante, I greatly recommand picking up Nocturne HD. While the Dante meme is legendary, he does not do a lot in the game beside being a boss fight twice. Raidou (the one who is there instead of Dante in the chronicles version and the HD remaster) does the same stuff as him, and he has the same moveset but reskinned with pierce as a bonus. Raidou is also very cool by himself, just like how Dante is.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think for me I put my trust in Nintendo because I think almost all first party AAA are great. Smash Ultimate is the best game in the series imo and easily one of my top 3 favorite games ever, Odyssey is a great addition to a genre that is sort of dying but keeps things fresh, BoTW is massive and definitely fun, and Animal Crossing is a nice change of pace (and the reason we bought another Switch). There’s a global pandemic going on and while the status of Nintendo hasn’t been made as public as we would have hoped, they stated at least Smash DLC is on track, Animal Crossing is going to have an August update, and Paper Mario literally just came out. I’m not sure why anyone would lose complete faith in Nintendo, seems silly to me.

As for the next announcement being August 3rd or 5th or whatever, I think after the last bouts of speculations and insiders, I’m just going to assume that no one knows anything about the actual date or the contents of any announcement. I’ll be wrong eventually obviously but I think it’s fair to say that not everything that Insiders have recently talked about have turned out to be accurate.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Assuming these are legit and their E3 would have been huge, what hasn't helped Nintendo is that when they finally decided to do any kind of showcase post E3, they headlined them with questionable stuff (SMT aside), giving the image that they DON'T have massive plans since why wouldn't they show that FIRST? Really, showcasing Bakugan and giving it longer than needed air time is what screwed them over. The first post E3 event that discusses a major (and right now last) 1st party game and after months of literally silence they actually felt that Bakugan was the right decision to highlight. Not SMT, not an update on BOTW2 or NMH3 or even just saving the Mario Maker DLC for that event.

Basically, despite all the wink wink nudge nudge coyness from various insiders, Nintendo continues to act like 'We have no idea what they are talking about' and the longer this goes on, the less it feels like its actually an act from Nintendo. Honestly? I'm tired of hearing about these Mario 35th anniversary games from many of the insiders. From now on, the only one I want to hear this from is from Nintendo's direct mouth.

And I'm not dismissing leakers and insiders with big news as being untrustworthy. No, its the opposite: I don't believe them because I'm untrustworthy of NINTENDO.
I don't disagree. The wait will be worth it but, at the same time, Nintendo's being holding its piss on various things for close to a year. Even the public **** like the 3D Mario Remaster rumors are almost a year old now. The 2D Metroid rumors were last E3. Pikmin, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Mario 3D World were literally late 2018 rumors. I genuinely don't blame anyone for being angry. That's yet another reason why I haven't dropped this stuff despite portions of the Smash community putting more effort into cancelling me than literal sexual predators of minors (OOPS, did I say THAT out loud?) because there's enough out there to suggest that a solid portion of it is true.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I trust Nintendo and the Switch has been an absolutely incredible console. I don't doubt they have things in store and can and will deliver the goods.

That said, I am so damn tired of waiting. Not that I can't wait, mind you, just video games, but y'know.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Origami King has managed to restore a bit of my faith in Nintendo. That game and the limitations on it were conceived in a way that was painfully tone deaf to fans' demand. Yet, despite those tone deaf restrictions (heck, even because of them some cases), Nintendo managed to give us an absolutely amazing game that managed to become my second favorite in the series (only losing out to TTYD, my favorite game of all time). Nintendo works in mysterious, often frustrating ways, but at the end of the day they tend to put out some glorious stuff. Here's hoping that's the case here!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Origami King has managed to restore a bit of my faith in Nintendo. That game and the limitations on it were conceived in a way that was painfully tone deaf to fans' demand. Yet, despite those tone deaf restrictions (heck, even because of them some cases), Nintendo managed to give us an absolutely amazing game that managed to become my second favorite in the series (only losing out to TTYD, my favorite game of all time). Nintendo works in mysterious, often frustrating ways, but at the end of the day they tend to put out some glorious stuff. Here's hoping that's the case here!
Can't say I agree. In fact it's almost the exact opposite for me. Three months with nothing but Origami King has just made the pain that much more awful.

And yes, I played it, on an emulator. It's...alright. I highly doubt i'd prefer it to Super or the original, though.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Origami King may be a good game but it came out in a time where the Mario RPG series is totally dead. OK is a puzzle game, and that's fine, but people are thirsty for some true blue Mario RPG.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo's approach has been weird. The longer this goes on, the more I'm confused to why they potentially decided to announce everything in one brain-destroying presentation. I agree with Imran Khan, it's a bad approach, torpedos confidence, and gives us the appearance that Nintendo doesn't have its **** together.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

Idk, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ... all of that in one Direct seems to ambitious to me. I mean according to insiders like Nate, all he is expecting is the 35th Mario collection, 3D World Deluxe, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and a mystery holiday game. And when GameXplain did a prediction before the last Direct, their expectations were also really muted and similar to Nate's. Of course, Insiders aren't the be all end all, but I feel before every "real" Direct we hype ourselves up and then are disappointed when Nintendo doesn't blow our socks off.

I think for me I put my trust in Nintendo because I think almost all first party AAA are great. Smash Ultimate is the best game in the series imo and easily one of my top 3 favorite games ever, Odyssey is a great addition to a genre that is sort of dying but keeps things fresh, BoTW is massive and definitely fun, and Animal Crossing is a nice change of pace (and the reason we bought another Switch). There’s a global pandemic going on and while the status of Nintendo hasn’t been made as public as we would have hoped, they stated at least Smash DLC is on track, Animal Crossing is going to have an August update, and Paper Mario literally just came out. I’m not sure why anyone would lose complete faith in Nintendo, seems silly to me.

As for the next announcement being August 3rd or 5th or whatever, I think after the last bouts of speculations and insiders, I’m just going to assume that no one knows anything about the actual date or the contents of any announcement. I’ll be wrong eventually obviously but I think it’s fair to say that not everything that Insiders have recently talked about have turned out to be accurate.
I echo this sentiment. While Nintendo has been kind of iffy in terms of news for a bit now, I wouldn't lose faith in their ability to make great games. Personally, I don't love the company Nintendo, I think they're kinda bleh. I do love their games, however. I don't think think people should necessarily have admiration for a billion dollar conglomerate, rather they should focus their admiration towards the games themselves and their creators (in my opinion).

But yeah, the Switch has had plenty of great games. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Party, Kirby Star Allies, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Paper Mario: The Origami King, etc. And then from other developers, we got Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Octopath Traveler, and Astral Chain. I'm probably forgetting some but the Switch has been good with its exclusives and we still have the Breath of the Wild sequel, Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 to look forward to (and probably a new Donkey Kong Country and another 3D Mario).

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Can't say I agree. In fact it's almost the exact opposite for me. Three months with nothing but Origami King has just made the pain that much more awful.

And yes, I played it, on an emulator. It's...alright. I highly doubt i'd prefer it to Super or the original, though.
Origami King may be a good game but it came out in a time where the Mario RPG series is totally dead. OK is a puzzle game, and that's fine, but people are thirsty for some true blue Mario RPG.
Oh yeah, definitely not trying to say that Origami King made up for their poor scheduling, or should replace Mario RPGs, just that the game itself took some pretty tone deaf starting conditions and made something great from them. And of course this is just my experience. If you don't Origami King (which is totally fair) then you might not be feeling that same confidence.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Idk, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ... all of that in one Direct seems to ambitious to me. I mean according to insiders like Nate, all he is expecting is the 35th Mario collection, 3D World Deluxe, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and a mystery holiday game. And when GameXplain did a prediction before the last Direct, their expectations were also really muted and similar to Nate's. Of course, Insiders aren't the be all end all, but I feel before every "real" Direct we hype ourselves up and then are disappointed when Nintendo doesn't blow our socks off.

I echo this sentiment. While Nintendo has been kind of iffy in terms of news for a bit now, I wouldn't lose faith in their ability to make great games. Personally, I don't love the company Nintendo, I think they're kinda bleh. I do love their games, however. I don't think think people should necessarily have admiration for a billion dollar conglomerate, rather they should focus their admiration towards the games themselves and their creators (in my opinion).

But yeah, the Switch has had plenty of great games. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Party, Kirby Star Allies, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Paper Mario: The Origami King, etc. And then from other developers, we got Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Octopath Traveler, and Astral Chain. I'm probably forgetting some but the Switch has been good with its exclusives and we still have the Breath of the Wild sequel, Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 to look forward to (and probably a new Donkey Kong Country and another 3D Mario).
Yeah this was my concern too.

while I love your list of what to expect Fatmanonice Fatmanonice (particularly the dead franchise revivals), it’s kind of bizarre that Jeff Grubb and Game Xplain aren’t expecting anything too exciting for the rest of the year.

Unless - were all of these epic announcements always intended to be for 2021?? Because then that would make sense. A quiet 2020 but an epic start to 2021.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To me, I think it's just an issue of not spoiling stuff. Remember how Nintendo sent lawyers to Sabi's over Paper Mario? At this point it's pretty obvious Nintendo has played favorites with certain things getting out like the ports and remasters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
-We have decent evidence that Min Min would have been an April release if she hadn't been delayed. There was an Amiibo wave planned for April 17th that wound up postponed in most areas until June 12th.

-6/9/2020 was supposed to be the E3 presentation. If it had been like last year, we would have gotten at least 7 and 8 and, if they simply repeated things from last year, 7 probably would have been a July release, just like Hero.
This sucks because we could have been playing as Geno by now had Covid never came. This year sucks.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
See, multiple people seem to be thinking the July 20th direct got delayed or split for whatever reason, and I guess that explains certain things?

• This idea that everyone and their Mom thought this was going to be the "big one" right up until the last minute
  • The haphazardness of the presentation in general, it being announced at god damn Midnight, it seeming like it was thrown together last minute with certain things only being in the Japanese direct for no reason even though they were also coming out in the west
  • The new tag being removed was for whatever character they would have been revealed at the direct
It really feels like things were changed last minute and they just announced the stuff that was shadowdropping that day (the Cadence DLC, Rouge Company) or stuff third parties weren't willing to push back.

But that still raises the issue of the fact they are doing MULTIPLE of these. And the fact they were willing to confirm that now (in-case you haven't realized, Nintendo hasn't been that good at communicating this year) makes it clear the next one is already planned out, likely in August. Why would they hold a general direct if they are just going to reveal everything third-party related at a different showcase? It makes zero sense to me, and I still can't figure out why they would even delay the original direct in the first place.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some people have guessed Nintendo is super paranoid about delays which is understandable but definitely doesn't bode confidence. Kind of like Polarthief Polarthief keeps repeating, the last presentation that had good news for multiple franchises was 14 MONTHS ago. The fall Direct last year was decent but take out Smash and it's overall impact was a lot weaker.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
The July 20th direct is actually the Star Road. A massive presentation capable of granting the deepest wishes of the fanbase, but it has been shattered and now we're trying to piece it back together to save the world.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The July 20th direct is actually the Star Road. A massive presentation capable of granting the deepest wishes of the fanbase, but it has been shattered and now we're trying to piece it back together to save the world.
A fitting metaphor/comparison if I ever heard one.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Some people have guessed Nintendo is super paranoid about delays which is understandable but definitely doesn't bode confidence. Kind of like Polarthief Polarthief keeps repeating, the last presentation that had good news for multiple franchises was 14 MONTHS ago. The fall Direct last year was decent but take out Smash and it's overall impact was a lot weaker.
That's blantantly obvious at this point, Origami King didn't get announced until it straight up went Gold, but with how close we are to September it REALLY doesn't bolster confidence. I just don't really understand Nintendo's sudden resistance to announcing delays when this is the company that just last year was willing to shelve Prime 4, restart from scratch, give it to Retro, and TELL US ALL THAT. It just feels so out of character.

2D Metroid probably isn't happening this year and I'm seeing people seriously considering the idea that one of the Wii U ports is also getting pushed back. Is Nintendo literally going to ride out the Holiday with nothing but the 3D Mario Collection, one other port, and some DLC? There has to be SOMETHING else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, at least we got the confirmation that L was real last night along with other beta content and source codes from the SNES and N64 being dumped. It's a sign of relief with this freaking drought in play right now.

Last edited:

TangyKeys

Smash Cadet
I hoping for at least 1-2 character reveals this following year, If not, guess we're suffering the rest of 2020, which hopefully isn't the case.

Well, at least we got the confirmation that L was real last night along with other beta content and source codes from the SNES and N64 being dumped. It's a sign of relief with this freaking drought in play right now.
I can now sleep in peace knowing Luigi really was in SM64. BTW, anyone made him playable yet?

Better get the Gorilla Donkey Kong Glue.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, August has to provide us with the reveal for FP7 since the next amiibo wave release makes it pretty clear we've got one on the way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can now sleep in peace knowing Luigi really was in SM64. BTW, anyone made him playable yet?
I've heard of people getting him working and playing on SM64 already. Through I can't find any videos of this probably because people are too afraid out of fear Nintendo will sue them if they upload any footage.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Was looking again at the IR Information page of Nintendo to look exactly what type of investors are currently holders of shares and, scratch most of what I mentioned in previous posts. The major shareholders (entities or individuals which hold the largest percent of shares among all investors) are mostly Japan-based financial institutions (27.72% of total shares). The other notable chunk of shares is held by Foreign Institutions and Individuals (50.96%, among which some are foreign financial institutions that are also among the top shareholders such as JP Morgan Chase). Here's the breakdown from Nintendo's IR site for the benefit of brevity.

Nintendo Stock Ownership and Distribution of Shares (current)
  • Foreign Institutions and Individuals (1,272 persons) = 67,100,460 shares (50.96% of total shares)
  • Japanese Financial Institutions (87 persons) = 36,495,041 shares (27.72% of total shares)
  • Treasury Shares (1 person) = 12,545,354 shares (9.53% of total shares) *note: these shares are those that were bought back by Nintendo in order to reduce the outstanding number of shares*
  • Japanese Individuals and Others (46,375 persons) = 8,177,708 shares (6.21% of total shares). These are actual individuals who have purchased stocks of Nintendo and have them in their portfolio (along with other shares). Some may be administered by brokers, while others by "day traders", which are people who buy and sell stocks themselves.
  • Other Japanese Corporations (726 persons) = 4,591,554 shares (3.49% of total shares).
  • Japanese Securities Firms (74 persons) = 2,758,883 shares (2.09% of total shares). By securities firms these are other financial institutions and/or brokerage houses.

Albeit the category of Foreign Institutions and Individuals hold pretty much half of total stocks, most of those shares are held by "foreign" (maybe North American or European) financial institutions thus, the drought in news from Nintendo (games-related) are mainly concerns from consumers and perhaps some individual minor investors. Still however, consumer sentiment towards Nintendo may have a slight impact on the Company's stock by means of how likely would consumers be willing to continue to support the Company's products/services in comparison to its competitors (Sony and Microsoft). After all, most of Nintendo's consumer based is located in North America (with Europe right after). Of course, this is Nintendo we're talking about; as angry and upset fans may get, once Nintendo drops the juicy news, most will settle down and wag their tails in joy (for the moment).

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Inb4 the "keep expectations in check" peeps come popping in here, I really do think we could get another Direct soon. We must keep in mind, maintenance is scheduled for August and it has been tradition that every time maintenance goes on, we usually get some big Nintendo announcement. Not only that, but we even have evidence in favor of a Smash reveal soon, as the "new" tag on the fighters section on the Smash website has disappeared, which again, is a tradition that we usually get a Smash reveal following after that. Besides, is Nintendo REALLY gonna leave us with WWE Battlegrounds for the entire rest of the year?

Honestly, I would be shocked if we aren't getting another Direct coming soon. With how attrocious that Mini was, I'm sure Nintendo most likely has a better Direct up their sleeve that they are saving for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom