• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On today's episode of "the Ride Never Ends", GameStop potentially accidentally leaked Dragon Quest Heros 1 and 2 coming to Switch.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3656...adds-listing-for-dragon-quest-heroes-i-and-ii

Granted, this isn't new. I want to say this originally leaked back in February with a European retailer but another confirmation that it's likely coming along with a Square announcement dump is nice.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
On today's episode of "the Ride Never Ends", GameStop potentially accidentally leaked Dragon Quest Heros 1 and 2 coming to Switch.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3656...adds-listing-for-dragon-quest-heroes-i-and-ii

Granted, this isn't new. I want to say this originally leaked back in February with a European retailer but another confirmation that it's likely coming along with a Square announcement dump is nice.
Don't think this really means anything sadly, I know this has been on the Gamestop website since before Christmas, I remember seeing it on there around then.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The problem is that I'm just tired of waiting. I'd rather have multiple, small, good/not bad directs than wait A FREAKING YEAR SINCE THE LAST MEDIOCRE ONE to get this bombshell of a direct, especially after most things have already been leaked about it. It'll have been 14 months since E3 last year, which I consider as the last "good or better" direct, which is absolutely horrendous to have made us wait this long. Yes COVID blah blah, but it's just not an excuse to not give us anything for this long, especially when Microsoft and Sony both have their consoles launching in the holiday and we still don't even know what the big holiday title is this year (first time during the Switch's lifecycle we didn't find out in the Q1 direct). Also, remember when in February we were all like "psh there's no way we'll be waiting til March for a Q1 direct"? That then turned into a "psh, there's no way we'll have to wait for June for info". Now it's "psh there's no way we have to wait for September", like enough is enough. I'm so fed up with this goalpost pushing in defense of Nintendo that it's just causing my expectations for this direct to either be god's gift to gaming, or I'll just end up disappointed that I waited FOURTEEN MONTHS for it. It's going to have impossibly high expectations, and then Nintendo will think "yeah we did it, we made an amazing direct" and then not drop anything else at least until E3 next year. It's just exhausting to be this starved for news.
I completely agree, I don't care if I come off as entitled. Every chance they get, Nintendo goes on about how the Switch has only just begun its life cycle, and that the Switch still has a long life ahead. But it's been so long since Nintendo showed something that made the internet explode with hype.

I feel like this happens with every console generation for Nintendo. They start off really strong for the first 3 years of a console's life, having strong 1st party launch titles that sets the pattern of content for a couple of years, and then it's like they stop trying. Nintendo either releases mediocrity (the million New Super Mario Bros. games), or content that nobody really wanted which end up being subpar.

When it comes to the Switch allegedly having a long lifespan, it's a classic case of tell, don't show. Show us! I mean, I get it if they don't have the means to create big cinematic trailers for upcoming games right now, but at least give us something to look forward to. Announce games! Continue to give people a reason to want to go out and by a Switch instead of sitting just being like "yeah, stuff is coming. When? Soon!" (Nintendo's version of "soon" can be years.) As it stands right now, with what Nintendo has shown us, the Switch has a pretty bleak future and we can only rely on leaks which aren't always 100% credible.

Nintendo expected Animal Crossing to carry 2020 and after months of that game being out, fans are wanting more because one good game just isn't enough. That's not fans being entitled, that's fans expecting more from a company claiming to have more. Not even Paper Mario was able to put a dent into the Switch's hype. No offense to fans of Origami King, but in the long run that game had a quiet release and it's not anything mind-blowingly insane. 2020 gave us Animal Crossing, a Paper Mario game that's probably not going to have a legacy similar to Sticker Star and Color Splash, and no substantial news for 2/3rds of the year.

Just had to get that all out of my system.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
smh I see “pseudo-insiders” mentioned in Newcomer Speculation. ‘Guess they don’t even care about Nekoo anymore, who’s still cool and was trusted by them previously. Ridiculous, and they ignore all the evidence for people being legit once again.

Was gonna post in there but was able to convince myself it’d be a bad idea. Maybe posting in here about it is too, I know I shouldn’t care, but good frickin gosh.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
While we're commenting on discourse from the Newcomer Spec thread, I might as well throw out this minor annoyance. It's not big enough to warrant me waltzing into a thread I've never posted in and starting ****, so I'm mentioning it here.

People who don't want Geno in always insist on calling him, almost verbatim, "a one-shot side character from a Mario spinoff from 20 years ago." Most of that is true, but a side character? He's a playable character, the only character with a direct link to the story's greater conflict, and the whole emotional payoff of the ending is centered around him - he's obviously a main character. Trying to call Geno a side character in SMRPG is like trying to call Aerith a side character in FF7. Just no.

Once again, not that important in the grand scheme of things, so I'm not gonna bug people in Newcomer Spec with it, but I figured people here would share my frustration.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Inb4 the "keep expectations in check" peeps come popping in here, I really do think we could get another Direct soon. We must keep in mind, maintenance is scheduled for August and it has been tradition that every time maintenance goes on, we usually get some big Nintendo announcement. Not only that, but we even have evidence in favor of a Smash reveal soon, as the "new" tag on the fighters section on the Smash website has disappeared, which again, is a tradition that we usually get a Smash reveal following after that. Besides, is Nintendo REALLY gonna leave us with WWE Battlegrounds for the entire rest of the year?
I mean, it is always good to keep your expectation in check, but I agree with you. I have a hard time believe that Nintendo is going to leave us hanging with WWE Battlegrounds (although the SMT news where quite hype personally, I won´t lie) as the big thing for the year. We haven´t even got a piece of updated news for Bravely Default 2 that is supposedly coming out this year. At worst, I see them doing a shadow dropped mini before the maintenance in August.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
smh I see “pseudo-insiders” mentioned in Newcomer Speculation. ‘Guess they don’t even care about Nekoo anymore, who’s still cool and was trusted by them previously. Ridiculous, and they ignore all the evidence for people being legit once again.

Was gonna post in there but was able to convince myself it’d be a bad idea. Maybe posting in here about it is too, I know I shouldn’t care, but good frickin gosh.
I am looking through and I am not seeing where that happened, unless you mean what tehponycorn was talking about not long ago.

The thing is, at face value, a lot of our stuff could be seen as circumstantial. So I understand where they are coming from. They are waiting for the bullet (Shinobi or Reputable Insider Man) to shoot. Sadly, we have not had that, so I get where they are coming from.

EDIT: Unless every insider knows and is just wanting it to be a big surprise...idk.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
While we're commenting on discourse from the Newcomer Spec thread, I might as well throw out this minor annoyance. It's not big enough to warrant me waltzing into a thread I've never posted in and starting ****, so I'm mentioning it here.

People who don't want Geno in always insist on calling him, almost verbatim, "a one-shot side character from a Mario spinoff from 20 years ago." Most of that is true, but a side character? He's a playable character, the only character with a direct link to the story's greater conflict, and the whole emotional payoff of the ending is centered around him - he's obviously a main character. Trying to call Geno a side character in SMRPG is like trying to call Aerith a side character in FF7. Just no.

Once again, not that important in the grand scheme of things, so I'm not gonna bug people in Newcomer Spec with it, but I figured people here would share my frustration.
Now, that you said this, i remember something, didn't Polarthief Polarthief had an analysis of importance of SMRPG characters in which Mario was 1st and Geno 2nd, do you remember that?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I am looking through and I am not seeing where that happened, unless you mean what tehponycorn was talking about not long ago.

The thing is, at face value, a lot of our stuff could be seen as circumstantial. So I understand where they are coming from. They are waiting for the bullet (Shinobi or Reputable Insider Man) to shoot. Sadly, we have not had that, so I get where they are coming from.

EDIT: Unless every insider knows and is just wanting it to be a big surprise...idk.
Yeah I mean I can understand that stuff.

But even if only one person mentioned the pseudo-insider thing, I just know a lot of them are thinking the same thing and agreeing with that. I guess I shouldn’t let it bug me, though...it’s just annoying how there’s evidence they’re legit but it goes ignored, and they possibly don’t even consider Nekoo’s words anymore despite trusting him previously :/ Not even about the Geno stuff mostly, but them thinking they’re fakers.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'd just like to say that I appreciate how Mallow's plot comes to a conclusion and he still sticks around? His story is one that carries on through almost the whole game, before we even know about Geno's 'save the wishes' plot, and persists even after we save Peach, which was Mario's plotline. I dunno, I guess none of the other party members left, either, but finding his birth parents became his goal, and once he does he's like "Okay, I got what I want. Now I'm gonna keep helping you." And I think that's nice.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'd just like to say that I appreciate how Mallow's plot comes to a conclusion and he still sticks around? His story is one that carries on through almost the whole game, before we even know about Geno's 'save the wishes' plot, and persists even after we save Peach, which was Mario's plotline. I dunno, I guess none of the other party members left, either, but finding his birth parents became his goal, and once he does he's like "Okay, I got what I want. Now I'm gonna keep helping you." And I think that's nice.
Is there a reason people like Geno more than Mallow? I always assumed it was because Geno looks cooler and can use cooler attacks.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Funnily enough, Bowser does this too right at the start of Smithy's Factory. He even goes "okay, bye, all I wanted was my castle" before reconsidering to stay until the end. You could say it's only Geno's main goal that remains from his introduction up until Smithy is defeated.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Now, that you said this, i remember something, didn't Polarthief Polarthief had an analysis of importance of SMRPG characters in which Mario was 1st and Geno 2nd, do you remember that?
I guess that you are talking about this:

Having character development doesn't make you a "main character". Mallow doesn't affect the plot nor is affected by the plot in any way. Yes, he has some very light character development of goes from crybaby to not-as-much-of-a-crybaby (honestly, none of the characters have any *real* development in the game), but that doesn't make him main. Mario's main because you play as him from start to finish, he's front and center, and his name's on the title. That said, Geno is also main because the story, the main plot, is all about him. It affects him and in turn, he affects the story as well. You can have multiple main characters; there's plenty of shows and movies that do that. To call Mallow a "main" character because of his very light development, just because no one else gets development (at least Bowser shows another side of him, but it's not 'development'), is extremely unfair to both Mario and Geno. For the record, a "main character" doesn't have to have any real development. Who made up that rule that he does?
Literally the first google result: "The definition of the main character is the character who the story is mostly about or the point of view of the story." Said same website also talks about the difference between protag and main character.

Now it's funny, by that definition, it explains both Geno and Mario in that order: The story is mostly about Geno, but the POV is mostly from Mario since you "play" as him the most (since you literally move him around on the maps and stuff), which is literally what I said in that both Geno and Mario are the main two characters.

TBH to me, it's even funnier that people claim a "main character has to have character development", but man, there's so many characters that don't develop at all that people just absolutely love and adore, and it'd be impossible to call other characters the "main" character of their game. I'm not saying it's good or bad writing; I'm not here to judge that, I'm just saying that because a character gets character development doesn't mean they're more or less main.

Not to go too OT, but let's take a look at Undertale: A game that has virtually zero development for the playable Human character, as you never speak, never emote, never even have a different sprite as you do various deeds or misdeeds (and you can do some horrible and unspeakble misdeeds in this game) throughout your entire adventure. The POV is very obviously from their eyes since you're playing the game the entire time as them. Meanwhile, a lot of characters that aren't you get actual development as the story and timeline(s) go on. The playable Human character is essentially Mario in SMRPG, in that you play as them and see the story from their POV, but still get virtually no character development from the game. At the same time though, the entire story affects the Human (characters interact with the Human specifically) and is affected by them (they will react very differently based on your actions and who you choose to spare or kill). This is the same as Geno being affected (Star Road destroyed) and also affects (redirects Mario to the goal of collecting star pieces and defeating Smithy) the story in SMRPG.

After all that, would you still say the Human in Undertale isn't the "main character"? If so, then you're also saying neither Geno nor Mario are the main characters in SMRPG, but Monster Kid, a character that has no bearing on the story (but is affected by your actions), is more of a main character just because they have some character development at some point Telling Undyne, their idol, to back off of you in Pacifist, or telling you to stop killing monsters in Genocide.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace

There has always been push back against fan favorites, especially Geno. It's a clever use of language to minimize how important he was to the game.

It's pretty obvious where most of the anti-geno fans come from. I won't say where, but they get their panties in a bunch over there, over almost anything. It's almost ironic how sensitive they are.

I've been here WAY longer than I should at this point, almost going on 15 years. Best piece of advice - pay them no attention and just go on liking the characters you like! Geno is great, Mallow is great, and Super Mario RPG is great. Trust me when I say this, you should not give credence to detractors by engaging with them. That kind of discourse can be talked about in the newcomer speculation thread.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There has always been push back against fan favorites, especially Geno. It's a clever use of language to minimize how important he was to the game.

It's pretty obvious where most of the anti-geno fans come from. I won't say where, but they get their panties in a bunch over there, over almost anything. It's almost ironic how sensitive they are.

I've been here WAY longer than I should at this point, almost going on 15 years. Best piece of advice - pay them no attention and just go on liking the characters you like! Geno is great, Mallow is great, and Super Mario RPG is great. Trust me when I say this, you should not give credence to detractors by engaging with them. That kind of discourse can be talked about in the newcomer speculation thread.
Plus, we've already dealt with this kinda crap leading up to E3 last year. We've got a lot more going on in Geno's favor now than any previous game/instance in Smash up until this point, and I'm confident he's one of the two remaining character reveals we will see before 2020 concludes

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Wow, I just stumbled upon a project called "Another Crusade", a spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. It's developed from a Mexican Indie team (Dragon Vain Studios) and is planned to be released in 2021. A Nintendo Switch-version is possible, if the stretchgoal of 44.250 $ is reached (currently the number is only less than 5.000 $). The indie team says the following:
The game is greatly inspired by Super Mario RPG, we are actually trying to become its spiritual successor. If you ever dreamed of a sequel to it, we too share that dream, that’s why we are making this game.
SMRPG.JPG

The reveal trailer:

The Kickstarter page with all the stretchgoals, more information and also music samples:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonvein/another-crusade

And finally, a free Demo version of the game can already be downloaded here:

https://dragonveinstudios.itch.io/another-crusade

Imo it looks pretty awesome, what do you guys think?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Boy howdy, if they're **** talking Nekoo then they're in for a world of hurt because he's probably been involved in this sort of thing a solid year before I was. Hell, Nekoo and Rummy were often the ones scolding me about how I go about things whereas they're much more careful and "professional" about it. Some people are literally basing their entire reputations on certain things being absolutely false like Geno or Waluigi not making it and it's absolutely wild.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Is there a reason people like Geno more than Mallow? I always assumed it was because Geno looks cooler and can use cooler attacks.
Probably the whole 'Star-gun-doll vs. crying cloud' thing. And while they're both a fair bit different than the typical Mario fare, Geno stands out even more so than Mallow. Sure, a cloud with pants and elemental magic is different, but we have seen clouds with faces before and since in the Mario series. Geno, on the other hand, hasn't really had any equivalent before or since except maybe Rosalina. Geno and Mallow have both got their appeal, but supporting Geno more for me is not just Geno's design but also because he represents SMRPG as a whole more. He's connected to the game's main plot, after all, and therefore acts as the 'face' of all the crazy and unique twists the game put on the Mario series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Boy howdy, if they're **** talking Nekoo then they're in for a world of hurt because he's probably been involved in this sort of thing a solid year before I was. Hell, Nekoo and Rummy were often the ones scolding me about how I go about things whereas they're much more careful and "professional" about it. Some people are literally basing their entire reputations on certain things being absolutely false like Geno or Waluigi not making it and it's absolutely wild.
They didn’t mention Nekoo or anyone specific, but one dude mentioned “pseudo-insiders” as part of the reason why we think Geno is coming and others liked his post (plus the general “air” in there feels like a lot would agree anyway).

I just figured that includes Nekoo since he supported the only supposed “pseudo-insiders” I could think of, and seems to be in their circles or something. “Pseudo” means something like “fake” right? I realize I should’ve ignored it, but geez it boggles my mind that they think they and you are faking...

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
All I'm gonna say is, if anyone out their says Geno isn't important to the story of SMRPG, then they clearly haven't even played the damn game. Geno detractors spew that bulls*** all of the time. Sure, Mario is THE main character always, as his name is literally in the title, but after Mario saves Peach, the rest of the story really revolves around Geno's main goal, which is restoring Star Road.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno is just much more important than Mallow. You can cut Mallow from the game and the main storyline is more or less still intact. Cut Geno and it isn't even the same game.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
All I'm gonna say is, if anyone out their says Geno isn't important to the story of SMRPG, then they clearly haven't even played the damn game. Geno detractors spew that bulls*** all of the time. Sure, Mario is THE main character always, as his name is literally in the title, but after Mario saves Peach, the rest of the story really revolves around Geno's main goal, which is restoring Star Road.
Geno represents the centralizing theme of the game - the LEGEND of the seven stars. He is integral to the story and gives context to how important the stars are, whether or not he has a lot of dialogue or not. He drives the story forward at the point in time where our party needs a bit of exposition. An explanation of why things are happening, why certain enemies are appearing, and why we need to stop them.

Anyone that disagrees with that needs to go back to middle school and learn about the elements of a plot. It's basic ****.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I think Geno is just much more important than Mallow. You can cut Mallow from the game and the main storyline is more or less still intact. Cut Geno and it isn't even the same game.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Many, Many Frog Coins

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’m somewhat inclined to agree, but a lot of things in the game (like meeting frogfucius and gaining access to barrel volcano) are achieved through the help of Mallow. The main storyline would have to be altered in some way to accommodate these changes, especially the bit with frogfucius since you’re pretty much told to take Mallow to his real parents, thus becoming an integral part of the main story.

But on the other hand Mario could’ve easily found another way to meet with frogfucius and get into barrel volcano, so your definitely not incorrect or anything. I personally think removing Mallow would effect the main story though

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I’m somewhat inclined to agree, but a lot of things in the game (like meeting frogfucius and gaining access to barrel volcano) are achieved through the help of Mallow. The main storyline would have to be altered in some way to accommodate these changes, especially the bit with frogfucius since you’re pretty much told to take Mallow to his real parents, thus becoming an integral part of the main story.

But on the other hand Mario could’ve easily found another way to meet with frogfucius and get into barrel volcano, so your definitely not incorrect or anything. I personally think removing Mallow would effect the main story though
By that logic Geno could be cut from the story and a star spirit could just tell Mario about star road and how to fix it.

Griselda

Smash Lord

I just realized that the only reason any of this happened the way it did was because a purple crocodile saw a happy cloud kid and thought, 'yeah, that's an easy mark'.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
By that logic Geno could be cut from the story and a star spirit could just tell Mario about star road and how to fix it.
To go back to my FF7 comparison, that game could've just had an NPC tell Cloud and co. about the Ancients and move on, but Aerith's connection to them made both the story and her character more meaningful. The same applies to Geno. You care more about Geno because he's involved with the central plot, but you in turnstart to care about the plot more because it's so important to your cool pal Geno.

QQS

Smash Lord
Thats right.

“Super Mario RPG: Legend of Geno”

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
To go back to my FF7 comparison, that game could've just had an NPC tell Cloud and co. about the Ancients and move on, but Aerith's connection to them made both the story and her character more meaningful. The same applies to Geno. You care more about Geno because he's involved with the central plot, but you in turnstart to care about the plot more because it's so important to your cool pal Geno.
That's exactly my point. If you just go around changing things to make a character not nessesary, you lose part of the story, thus Mallow can't just be removed either.

Paraster

Smash Lord
How funny would it be if Geno brought along "Fight Against Culex" and it was made playable on Midgar instead of Mario stages (like the Mario World Athletic Theme being played on Yoshi stages)?

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Geno is indeed confirmed, you can bet there will be some anger from others, mostly GameFAQS and 4Chan.

QQS

Smash Lord
There is a lot of Geno and SMRPG fan art here. Credits to all artists. Hope to see Geno reveal this or next week, have mercy Nintendo.

The reveal will worth the wait anyway, cause I think it will be the most amazing piece of trailer, design and moveset ever. The best revival and dream fulfilled. Geno is about to be revealed I know, I feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom