• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraster

Smash Lord
*spits a half pound blob of chewin' tabaccy on the ground*

Geno and Mallow are like corn n' beans, see? They compliment each other. Help each other out. Great together or on their own.
...I know everyone says Geno Flash would be the Final Smash, but what if Mallow was summoned in some capacity?

Or, if not that, could Mallow appear on Geno's stage?

QQS

Smash Lord
I have always believe that Mallow will be summoned with Star Rain when Geno does Geno Flash. If not that, a cameo in the stage. And of course a Mii Costume of Mallow (hopefully premium). At the end of the CGI, a nice reference of the SMRPG gang complete with the 4 fighters and the Costume of Mallow, to have the full set somehow.

Also, the theory of Mallow summoned in Geno Flash works as partners like the Mega Man Legends.

EDIT: another cool reference will be Cloud and Hero grabbing Geno and elevating him looking the sky.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If Geno is indeed confirmed, you can bet there will be some anger from others, mostly GameFAQS and 4Chan.
I assure you that everyone on 4chan is either pro-Geno or on so many layers on irony that they wouldn't care either way

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I see Mallow as either part of Geno's taunt or part of the stage. Honestly, I prefer if both of them were playable, but hey, I understand the situation.... So, Go Geno!!!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Censor dodging (tweet was originally embedded)
Last edited by a moderator:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Quick addendum to this idea: If we want to give the MC a sibling like Luigi, I'd love for him to have sister who is a mad scientist. She can use chemical reactions and gadgets as a means of "spellcasting". I can see her having a fasination with our "Geno" character, him being a possessed doll/puppet that runs on magic and otherworldly components she can't understand.

Darn it, I'm so tempted to design these characters. I have to wonder what kind of species we could make them, since they don't necessarily have to be human. They could be just as bizarre as the characters we've seen in the Mario universe.
Or a robot for a geno expy?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So the the text on the statue in the courtyard actually says Eternal Star instead of L Is Real:

Griselda

Smash Lord
So the the text on the statue in the courtyard actually says Eternal Star instead of L Is Real:

I thought we all knew that, though? ..Doesn't matter, though. If we're living in the 'L is Real' timeline where it just happened to line up with that amount of time, then we're also living in the timeline where the 'coincidences' for Geno mean he's in Smash.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If Geno is indeed confirmed, you can bet there will be some anger from others, mostly GameFAQS and 4Chan.
At that point is it really our problem?

If Geno gets in, what's the worst they're going to do? Dislike bomb his trailer/presentation? At worst Geno gets the reception of Byleth in the community, but I doubt that Geno fans will be upset by that. Ultimately, if he gets in; the Geno fanbase will be happy, even if his reception as a character is controversial.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m not sure, it doesn’t match exactly, though it makes sense because of the stone star. Could just be gibberish however.

Doesn’t matter though, it could be read as L is real 2401 due to the compression, and that was what turned into a rumor we’re all hyped about anyway.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At that point is it really our problem?

If Geno gets in, what's the worst they're going to do? Dislike bomb his trailer/presentation? At worst Geno gets the reception of Byleth in the community, but I doubt that Geno fans will be upset by that. Ultimately, if he gets in; the Geno fanbase will be happy, even if his reception as a character is controversial.
It's very unlikely Geno would be nearly as negatively recieved as Byleth was. The character has been wanted for almost 2 decades at this point, where as Byleth was a recent promotional pick

T2by4

Smash Lord
So when did the nintendo mini direct announcement drop last sunday? How long from now?

vivala

Smash Journeyman
So when did the nintendo mini direct announcement drop last sunday? How long from now?
Midnight, Eastern time, so in about 4 and a half hours. Though after the negative response to the last one, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just shadowdropped this one and ran.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It's very unlikely Geno would be nearly as negatively recieved as Byleth was. The character has been wanted for almost 2 decades at this point, where as Byleth was a recent promotional pick
Oh for sure, but you don't need to be "disliked bombed as much as Byleth" in order to be "disliked bombed". I doubt any other character aside from another FE character would get as much of a negative reception as Byleth, but it's still possible for a character to be controversial even if they aren't a FE character.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Midnight, Eastern time, so in about 4 and a half hours. Though after the negative response to the last one, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just shadowdropped this one and ran.
We also haven't had nearly as many Direct rumblings this time around. It's my understanding that any thoughts about it are purely speculatory because of the games we're still waiting on and the timing of the maintenance.

QQS

Smash Lord
I believe for an August reveal and September download at this time.

GENO ALIGNS into BATTLE!

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I've always held the belief that the fanbase for Geno/SMRPG is actually larger than what's perceived. There have been so many people I've known over the years that grew up on the SNES and really loved SMRPG. It's really uncanny the number of times that game has come up in conversation. They may not be actively campaigning for Geno to make it into Smash or even current Smash Bros. fans, but I guarantee that if Geno gets in there are going to be people that see the trailer thumbnail and have a nostalgia rush in response.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm sorry for posting all this off topic spam guys, it's just I'm so excited to see all this beta stuff from the SNES and N64 eras see the light of day.

QQS

Smash Lord
C88A5D5D-803F-4B26-B1BE-3F1D0B9E8DFA.jpeg

Happy #500 post to me on SmashBoards. Mostly like 95% of them in the best thread: Geno Thread, and the only one I’m passionate for. The only character when he gets in playable, I would be satisfied 100% with my requests, demand and wishes in ALL gaming. Though of course there are other characters I like (Skull Kid, Zero and another from Sonic) and my favorite franchise which are: Zelda & Mega Man. BUT, when Geno Joins the Party, I will be 100% paid and happy. It’s happening for me.

Thanks to all people I interact here with, and to all community, specially the front men of Geno Cause: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , papagenos papagenos & TerminalMontage TerminalMontage . Also all the nice people here, it’s amazing all the Geno love worldwide and from all ages.

Here is writing a 30 years old dude from Chile. But here is wishing for Geno playable the 6 years old kid who played as him back in 1996.

GENO RISES TO SMASH!

EDIT: IM A “SMASH ACE” here now. :cool:

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Probably right about it. Watch it be like 2:30am in the states. Nintendo tweets. Here is another mini direction presentation enjoy! xD

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for posting all this off topic spam guys, it's just I'm so excited to see all this beta stuff from the SNES and N64 eras see the light of day.
It's hard to overstate just how much of a big deal the beta leaks truly are, not just for fans of Nintendo, but just fans of game development and preservation in general. Due to the fact that the character we are rooting for has his connections to Nintendo for being part of a Mario game, the type of content being dicsussed is practically unavoidable in a space like this. I don't see any issue with bringing attention to it; it's a very momentous occasion for people that enjoy video games, and that, incidentally, also includes those of us here in the Geno thread.

That said, there's information coming out all the time, and it doesn't sound like we're done with it, yet; There is always that possibility that something in relation to Mario RPG, or Geno, or anything of that nature, will end up being revealed to us later down the line, at which point, we would definitely be in the right to bring it up and discuss while we wait on some actual news regarding our star boy.

In short; I think there's no issue here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've always held the belief that the fanbase for Geno/SMRPG is actually larger than what's perceived. There have been so many people I've known over the years that grew up on the SNES and really loved SMRPG. It's really uncanny the number of times that game has come up in conversation. They may not be actively campaigning for Geno to make it into Smash or even current Smash Bros. fans, but I guarantee that if Geno gets in there are going to be people that see the trailer thumbnail and have a nostalgia rush in response.
I often argue that SMRPG is severally underrated for a lot of reasons:

-Basically the first Mario game with a real story and plot.

-First Mario game where the main characters have any semblance of a personality.

-First Mario game with the times hits mechanic.

-First Mario game where stars have significance beyond a power up.

-More or less established the series' sense of humor for decades to come.

-First major game collab with a third party that was a success.

-One of the last major games for one of the most celebrated video game consoles of all time.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
109283367_1369803229856722_1305984243368849302_o.jpg

Mario won't but Nintendo will.

Guess that thought that Mario RPG is the only one that can fill that quote for an RPG with Mario characters is left with it only.

:bobomb:.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Here we got a beta SM64 Peach model with feet:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Feet, you say?
images (14).jpeg

-First Mario game where the main characters have any semblance of a personality.

-One of the last major games for one of the most celebrated video game consoles of all time.
Also world building and the lore. Always fascinating.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm very much of the same mindset in regards to Geno - I was shocked to see Geno was ranked #3 on that Japanese poll that was shared around during the time of Brawl's development. It was like I had no idea I wanted a character so much in Smash until then. I'm sure many people remember the game fondly, it just doesn't get brought up in an everyday setting for other people to be aware of it.

owjies

Smash Journeyman

Agreed on all counts. Another point that a friend of mine brought up recently was that SMRPG was innovative in its pacing. SMRPG pulled back on some of the hardcore rpg mechanics, random encounters in particular, that tended to make a lot of the classics of that era grindy at times. Looking back on it, It was really interesting to see the platforming and rpg genres come together in the way that they did. The light platforming element was a great way to break up battles with basic enemies, allowing you to choose whether you wanted to fight or not.

Also, can't agree more on your point about the game's impact on the Mario series' humor and tone. Having Bowser fall from grace and become a party member was such a great twist. SMRPG particularly brought his character to life.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think there are many fans who aren't as vocal about wanting Geno in various chats and forums due to some particular people who throw screaming fits at the mere sight of his name. Its really hit or miss to bring him up in a conversation as it might set someone off and they go into deep detail about how they don't care about him and how they hate him and how he stole their lunch money (and it was pizza day too, that monster). I think people are starting to get tired of detractors obsessing over him.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I tend to think back to Alpharad's reaction at the beginning of Piranha Plant's trailer, where he was screaming "It's Geno! It's Geno!" at the mere sight of Mario content. Now tbf he's also the guy who was jokingly shouting "It's Goku!" at Erdrick's reveal, so it could be japes, but he seemed genuinely excited at the thought of Geno and that was his first thoughts re: a Mario character. Alpha's not exactly an outsider to Smash, but it felt kinda reassuring seeing someone who wasn't already a known Geno supporter being hyped for him... even if it turned out to be Plant.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Not guaranteed but people were seemingly teasing a shadowdrop for today or tomorrow. Not likely something Hugh Mungus though.
Watch as it ends up being something like announcement trailer for a new F-Zero, Golden Sun, Wario Land, or Pikmin 4.

"Yeah, you know that game that everyone has been waiting literally years for? It's probably not a big deal, let's just shadow-drop the trailer on our Twitter account. Surely no one will get excited over this like they did with Rogue Company, they'll just pass it off as filler if we put it in a Direct."

... you know, after the new Paper Mario game getting Twitter shadow-dropped and that Direct mini we got last week, Nintendo just shadow-dropping a long-awaited game like F-Zero actually feels very much like a possibility... and that scares me.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I’ve just come to accept the fact that I will never understand Nintendo. They are mysterious and I think that’s part of the draw. We find them alluring because we don’t understand them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom