• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, all we can do as of now is wait. Of course, waiting is starting to bite us away, but hold on for a little longer. I'm sure Nintendo has something to adjust with the ongoing pandemic.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Eh, I'm sure the wait for August 3rd won't be that bad. I mean, it's not like we'll be waiting for an eternity or anything...

View attachment 280288
I'm just so tired of the current speculation cycle, I don't even mean Smash just in general. It feels like I've spent the entire year since last E3 waiting for some game I'm actually really interested in from Nintendo and it just doesn't happen.
  • Oh, September Direct! Well they announced Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing last year, surely they have to have some big stuff AAAAAND it's just ports and remakes. Good for Xenoblade Fans, whatever, they have a big holiday line-up so they want to focus on that. I've still got Dragon Quest and Links Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3, this is fine.
  • Ok, Game Awards time, even if we don't see Smash we still don't know a lot coming out next year so surely they have to show something. Well there's some Marvel DLC, No More Heroes 3 is cool, Bravely Default...2? What about Second? Whatever, good for them, now it's time for the big Nintendo announcement...oh, it's over. Huh? How do they not have anything to show?
  • Well, it's January now, they still gotta reveal character 5 so maybe they'll come with a direct...oh, it's Byleth, ok, fine. Oh, a Mystery Dungeon remake? I've never gotten into it but atleast ONE PART of this franchise is actually fixing itself.
  • February Time, well there's all these rumors swirling around about Paper Mario and Metroid, and we don't know anything really beyond the first half of the year so it's reasonable to expect stuff. Oh, the dates were wrong, whatever. Nintendo has to do something soon. Oh, an Animal Crossing direct... of course, there's always next month.
  • It's the end of March now... wonder if Nintendo is still going to do something for the first half of the year...OK MINI DIRECT FINALLY...it's mostly stuff we already know, all for the first half of the year...and the only real new game is a board game collection. Ok, I get it Nintendo, stuff is messed up due to the pandemic, I can wait a bit.
  • Oh wow Nintendo dropped a new game on Twitter? Paper Mario? Aaaaaaand it's exactly the game I didn't want it to be but exactly what I expected them to do after Color Splash. Mario RPG's are dead, whatever. What else you got Nintendo?
  • Ok Nintendo... it's July now. Paper Mario is out, you have literally Z E R O upcoming games for the rest of 2020, Sony and Microsoft are holding big showcases for their first-party games, please just do something already. All these rumors point towards the 20th, they got the last few directs right, today might be the day we finally get something...Partner Direct. Really? This is the time to do that?
The only big games they've even released so far this year have been 3 RPG remakes, a board game collection, a Paper Mario game that nobody asked for, and Animal Crossing. AND WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE REST OF THE YEAR. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but the only thing Nintendo has released this year outside of DLC for Smash and Mario Maker I've played was Panel De Pon on Switch Online. I haven't had anything new I actually want to play on Switch since October.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
A clarification in regards to August 6th. Earlier today a fellow member clarified that on said date there isn't an actual investors meeting. On that day Nintendo will simply release their quarterly earnings release schedule for Fiscal Year 2021. Looking into previous earnings release schedules, its release might actually bode well for Nintendo IP news prior to that date (which would be during the first few days of August). Within said earnings release schedules, on the Consolidated Financial Forecast section they usually mention upcoming titles (mainly their IPs) that will be driving sales. In their Consolidated Results for Years 2019 and 2020 (comparative) report, on section 3. Outlook for the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2021, the titles (IP) that would be driving the coming months (noting that this report was published on May 7th 2020, and the Fiscal Year 2021 began on April 1st, 2020) would be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition in the month of May, Clubhouse Games in June, and the Pokemon Sword and Shield Isle of Armor expansion afterward, with the Crown Tundra expansion coming in Fall. True that there were no new first party games announced there, but that's the section that typically lays out what games will be driving sales in the following months. This time around, they should delve on which games will be their hits for the months of August, September, October, and perhaps even go into mentioning what Holiday titles they may have in store. Last but definitely not least, I feel this is where they should mention any detail in regards to Super Mario's 35th Anniversary which is coming up soon (September 13th). Besides games, and as PapaGenos discussed in his latest video, there's a number of Super Mario-themed merch releasing on August 1st. Again, we'll have to wait and see. :ohwell:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see some things don't change around here. I mean, if I want to know how my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS feel about these source code leaks, why would I join the GENERAL THREAD to see what my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS think and search through all the muck and garbage spouted over there just to find what my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS are saying.
The source code leaks also include a bunch of promotional images, including some very high res versions of the Zelda: Ocarina of Time official art. The current volume of released content is supposed to be only a small fraction of what was actually gotten. I think finding the source code, or dev builds, of Super Mario RPG is pretty unlikely as I imagine Square are the ones who have those. But we might get high resolution versions of more promotional art.

(Something something beeg yoshi)

I love these sorts of rare finds (though I'm sad how they came about).

D

Deleted member

Yeah, looks like we're not getting a direct tomorrow. Though I'm very sure we're getting something next week. And since we probably are not getting a direct tomorrow, it's more likely that the direct on August 3 could be a 30 minute mini direct or maybe even a general direct.

While we wait, let's reflect on the fact that even Sakurai wants a new Mother title

Well, actually, he's saying happy anniversary to the Mother series (today is Mother 1's anniversary) and that he wants to acknowledge the anniversary of the series in any way he can.

But yeah, Sakurai definitely loves the Mother series, with the attention of detail he's given to it in Smash and stuff like this:

Anyways, back to Geno, that "Another Crusade" game looks really cool! I hope it releases on the Switch next year, but if it doesn't I'll probably still get it on pc. And yeah, SMRPG is a lot more important than people think, hence why Geno being in Smash would represent a big milestone in Mario's history, thus a milestone in Nintendo's history.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thanks for the obvious reminder and un-needed guidance, Doctor Buzzkill.

Glad to see some things don't change around here. I mean, if I want to know how my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS feel about these source code leaks, why would I join the GENERAL THREAD to see what my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS think and search through all the muck and garbage spouted over there just to find what my fellow GENO SUPPORTERS are saying.

But, you know, that's none of my business.

If you want to see what certain people are thinking, PM them, make a discord, tag people at a social, whatever. Even when the Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo threads became pseudo-socials, even they didn't act this hostile to the mods.

Don't be an ass. Listen to the mods. You rely on them when things get hairy. The last thing you want to do is make the people you rely on dislike you.

But you know, that is entirely my business because I'm invested in this site's community and want it to be better.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
You have no idea how frustrating it is to be anti-capitalist and seeing Nintendo playing this secretive game with consumers. I wish I could talk politics on here because I could go on an entire rant, but what they're doing is essentially for no one's gain but their own and it's messed up.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Saw some other posts here and yeah, it occurred to me that Nintendo can't make a high quality Mario RPG anymore; Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi have had mediocre at best titles recently.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Posting it here isn’t hurting anybody, it’s harmless, and something people would rather share with fellow geno fans.
The mod already said not to post it.

If he wants specific people's reactions he can do any of these things I suggested.

PM them, make a discord, tag people at a social,
This thread isn't above the rules.

Plank08

Smash Lord
That’s needlessly complicated for a forum page where you can be among your smash loving peers, not necessarily only talk about smash, but whatever I guess, their forum page.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That’s needlessly complicated for a forum page where you can be among your smash loving peers, not necessarily only talk about smash, but whatever I guess, their forum page.
It's because this isn't the thread to do it in. Threads are meant to be specific topics.

https://smashboards.com/forums/general-social.10/

This social is a good place to talk about the leaks We were talking about them earlier.

Look to take the thread back to where its supposed to go, should Geno have a good or bad recovery?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
To be blunt: This is the Geno thread. Not the Nintendo Leak thread. The only leaks I want to read in here are ones about Directs and/or the confirmation/de-confirmation of puppets which become possessed by spirits under the employ of a higher authority in my Smash Brothers Ultimate Fighting Video Game, thanks.

It's because this isn't the thread to do it in. Threads are meant to be specific topics.

https://smashboards.com/forums/general-social.10/

This social is a good place to talk about the leaks We were talking about them earlier.

Look to take the thread back to where its supposed to go, should Geno have a good or bad recovery?
Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Oh, Crystal ball, will our starman in a doll be coming soon?

Will he have a good recovery? geNO
Will there be a direct on August 3rd? geNO
will people like it if the next dlc is a pokemon? geNO

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Oh, Crystal ball, will our starman in a doll be coming soon?

Will he have a good recovery? geNO
Will there be a direct on August 3rd? geNO
will people like it if the next dlc is a pokemon? geNO
How can we put our faith in a higher authority when that higher authority clearly hates us at best and may not even exist at worst?

:smileye:

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
How can we put our faith in a higher authority when that higher authority clearly hates us at best and may not even exist at worst?

As I said many times before, the big N is strange, weird and stubborn as hell, but when they deliver, they do so in ways that the other guys just don´t do it anymore. This whole can´t make any original character conundrum will stay for awhile and then they will change their minds one day, just cause.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I don't think this about Geno any more guys...

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
As I said many times before, the big N is strange, weird and stubborn as hell, but when they deliver, they do so in ways that the other guys just don´t do it anymore. This whole can´t make any original character conundrum will stay for awhile and then they will change their minds one day, just cause.
I just got told the struggles we Geno fans put up with don't even happen. I've got more to be mad about than Nintendo being cave men.

You're right though.

I don't think this about Geno any more guys...
Oh, but it is. It's about Geno, capitalist greed and class warfare all rolled into one. It goes beyond what I can talk about here though,

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just got told the struggles we Geno fans put up with don't even happen.
That was not what was said.

Regardless, let's try to keep on site drama in the relevant threads.

Trust me, going to other threads to vent has caused more drama than you'll ever know.

:drsad:

But uh, how would Geno recover? My initial thought is kind of like Mii Gunner. I know the cannon is a thing, but it feels strange for Geno to turn himself into a cannon, then fire himself out of... himself.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
That was not what was said.

Regardless, let's try to keep on site drama in the relevant threads.

Trust me, going to other threads to vent has caused more drama than you'll ever know.

:drsad:

But uh, how would Geno recover? My initial thought is kind of like Mii Gunner. I know the cannon is a thing, but it feels strange for Geno to turn himself into a cannon, then fire himself out of... himself.
I think my Edit accurately address this part.

--Ahem, but yes: He would likely use the Cannon.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if Geno’s up-special is the cannon, but he uses himself as a rocket instead of an actual cannon?
That makes more sense.

But also where did the second Geno come from?

:drfacepalm:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Where are people getting the idea that the sun bomb Geno shoots in Geno Flash is the star spirit himself? Yeah, it has a face and is clearly alive, but.. What was the star spirit's most notable feature? That he doesn't have any features of any sort.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That makes more sense.

Uh...Super Geno World...an alternate reality...?

But actually no, haha, I meant he’d turn himself into the cannon, point downwards, shoot out the rocket blast (not himself), and after a certain amount of time, transform back.

Where are people getting the idea that the sun bomb Geno shoots in Geno Flash is the star spirit himself? Yeah, it has a face and is clearly alive, but.. What was the star spirit's most notable feature? That he doesn't have any features of any sort.
I guess it could be a separate entity; we don’t see it going back to the doll, afterall, but idk.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Uh...Super Geno World...an alternate reality...?

But actually no, haha, I meant he’d turn himself into the cannon, point downwards, shoot out the rocket blast (not himself), and after a certain amount of time, transform back.

I guess it could be a separate entity; we don’t see it going back to the doll, afterall, but idk.
Several other characters also appear to summon separate entities for many of their specials, so it wouldn't be out of place. Bowser calls in Mokura for his Poison Gas move, for example.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
That makes more sense.

Back, and to the left! behind the grassy knoll! (Boy, who remembers that one?)

--But no, he probably materializes the canon AROUND HIM as a separate entity from himself.

___

Y'all, if the next fighter is a Gaht Dang pokemon... x.x

MrMemeGod

Smash Rookie
What if Geno's recovery move is just similar to mii gunners where he uses his own fire power to blast himself in an arched position.

It could take a page out of any of his moves and look plausible. For example, maybe the star gun or.. even a mini geno beam maybe?

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
New @papagenos video.

Also, I didn't even watch the video yet but just looking at the thumbnail is making me groan lol
Uh oh, here comes Urshifu.
Gimmick: stance switch mid-match, similar to Gen from SF.

Anybody else feel this way?
Excited for a potential brand new character with a cool fighting style, but at the same time dread the thought of them taking the spot of your MW.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It's been a while since I posted here...

I'll be honest , I was getting a bit burned out of recent speculation with Nintendo , and the latest news. While Min-Min is obviously good for Geno , Spring-Man getting cucked like that rubbed me the wrong way , and the recent PM title is still causing controversy. It just feel like Nintendo isn't doing much as of late , and the second source code leak really make me wonder how much they struggle working at home and stuff.

Despise everything , I'm still very positive with Geno coming as either CP7/8. Polarthief's list just compile everything that keep me positive about the character. All of this give me the same vibes I had with Banjo : A big "MMMMMMMMMH" feel.

---

Oh , another discussion about Geno's recovery ? Pretty insane how it's the only part of Geno's moveset nobody can agree with. For me , it depend on what archetype he has , to balance it well.
I really like the idea of the canon that could be angled , because it double down as both a recovery tool , and a combo ender. The PM moveset did that great. (ev en if it's his down-b , and his up-b is kind of like's R.O.B.) We should just remember that when making a moveset , it's important to expend the character's abilities in a natural way , so they could have a proper moveset for a platform fighter.
As an example : The drilling beak buster from Banjo and Kazooie. In their games , you only use them to drill down... But in Smash , it's their up-smash , and it still fit nonetheless.

Anyway , when it come to Geno movesets , Delzethin take became my favorite. It perfectly show that he wouldn't be a gunner clone , and would be a more aggresive character overall. TBH , I still don't understand how despise having 20 Swordies , people think a third gunner would be impossible to make unique.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've talked on the Pokemon topic before but it bears repeating:

-the Pokemon Company doesn't like DLC

-Basically went on the record to say the only reason Sword and Shield got DLC was because they didn't want to spend the money and dev time in creating a Pokemon Gun.

-all the Pokemon DLC in Smash is super cheap or free.

-the Pokemon Company is VERY picky about what goes into Smash and decides it years out.

This all said, I can not only guarantee 7 isn't Pokemon but an honest to God Pokemon DLC pack is incredibly unlikely.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I've talked on the Pokemon topic before but it bears repeating:

-the Pokemon Company doesn't like DLC

-Basically went on the record to say the only reason Sword and Shield got DLC was because they didn't want to spend the money and dev time in creating a Pokemon Gun.

-all the Pokemon DLC in Smash is super cheap or free.

-the Pokemon Company is VERY picky about what goes into Smash and decides it years out.

This all said, I can not only guarantee 7 isn't Pokemon but an honest to God Pokemon DLC pack is incredibly unlikely.
Ugh They are so damn greedy. I would have been pissed if they made Pokémon Gun instead of the DLC they gave us. And the only saving grace of that DLC was that it feels like they used it as an opportunity to lay the groundwork for future open world games. The Wild Areas got a lot more attention, while all of the routes and most of the towns were totally phoned in.

It’ll be interesting to see their influence on New Pokémon Snap.

I’m not too worried about a Pokémon rep for #7. The stars have quite literally lined up in favour for Geno, or at least in favour for a 3rd party.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean, if they knew about the potential of more DLC down the line, who is to say that Nintendo hadn´t told TPC that if we do fighters pass 2, you get a spot if you like? type of thing. That could (depending on when they told them) be a long time for them to decide and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom