• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Min Min in particular was delayed due to technical issues specific to her, wasn't she? And they definitely don't work on characters one at a time, which would mean that while she was having trouble, at least one or two more were progressing more or less smoothly.
Still doesn´t change the fact that if that was the reason she was delayed due to that, it could seize the work from the rest of the fighters depending on how problematic the technical (if that was the cause... can someone give me a source on that?) issues were.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly as crazy as this sounds, I do plan on getting all the fighters, regardless of who they are. I day one purchased both Pass 1 and Pass 2 as soon as they were made available on the eShop. I just feel like it wouldn't be Smash Ultimate if everyone wasn't here, so that alone is enough of an incentive for me to want to get them all.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think to me it really depends on when we get the next announcement. Like if we get FP7 announced early August with an August / September release, it wouldn't be too crazy to get FP8 released around Christmas. If FP7 is announced later though, like September or October, with a September / October release, I would imagine that FP8 wouldn't be until 2021. Maybe a reveal towards Christmas instead if that's the case. 4 Characters in 2021, especially if they've at least started working on them (and they probably have), wouldn't be too bad. Especially if they just go a Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 release or something like that.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Honestly as crazy as this sounds, I do plan on getting all the fighters, regardless of who they are. I day one purchased both Pass 1, Pass 2 + Piranha Plant as soon as they were made available on the eShop. I just feel like it wouldn't be Smash Ultimate if everyone wasn't here, so that alone is enough of an incentive for me to want to get them all.
Same here. It would annoy me if I didn´t have all the fighters.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Honestly as crazy as this sounds, I do plan on getting all the fighters, regardless of who they are. I day one purchased both Pass 1 and Pass 2 as soon as they were made available on the eShop. I just feel like it wouldn't be Smash Ultimate if everyone wasn't here, so that alone is enough of an incentive for me to want to get them all.
Absolutely the same for me. I also buy all of the Mii Costumes, even though I don't believe I've used a Mii since I finished up getting everyone to Elite.

I think it's safe to say, that for me, for any game I like as much as I like Ultimate, I'd probably buy anything that was released. Even if it was like... "Optional Italian language dubbing for all characters!". >_>

MattX20

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only character I truly care about so far is Banjo. I considered other fighters like Joker, Hero, Min Min, and Terry, but I don’t think I’m really that interested. Even if Geno is in, I would be very hesitant to buy the whole pass in case there is a fighter that doesn’t appeal to me. I prefer to just wait things out. Buying a product without knowing the contents can be scary. If I’m not satisfied, I regret thinking I wasted money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why they couldn't announce two more characters this year. They'd be leaving 3 more to announce for the next, which is half of the pass anyway. I suppose we'll see though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yep, that sounds about right. Now Fatman, are you confident in us getting 3 DLC character reveals and releases before the end of 2020?
3 more packs? Definitely, especially if 7 and 8 were supposed to be E3 reveals and my theorycraft is right that Lloyd is 9 and being held off for the 25th anniversary of Tales in December. Geno in September, Chief in November, and Lloyd being announced in December sounds right to me.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
3 more packs? Definitely, especially if 7 and 8 were supposed to be E3 reveals and my theorycraft is right that Lloyd is 9 and being held off for the 25th anniversary of Tales in December. Geno in September, Chief in November, and Lloyd being announced in December sounds right to me.
That's sort of what I've been thinking.

I think Crash is either after Lloyd or the closer to the pass as a whole: One observable pattern is that companies that are new to join Smash usually end up in the back half of the DLC; most likely to new negotiations and what not

Smash 4: Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu (Capcom already in), Cloud (Square was new to Smash), Bayonetta (Sega already in), Corrin
Ultimate: Joker (Sega returning), Hero (Square returning), Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft new), Terry (SNK new), Byleth

In a hypothetical line up of Min Min, Geno, Chief, Lloyd, (Mystery 5th), and Crash; Crash is the one bringing a new company with Activision

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Didn't you said that you expect Geno as 7th, Chief as 8th, Lloyd as 9th, Dante as 10th and Crash as 11th? Did the Xbox Showcase make you feel diferent about the order?

TangyKeys

Smash Cadet
Interesting theory I had last night:

What if the bonus characters were unlocked if you have a save file from their related game, kinda how like how Rosalina's unlock criteria was to have a save file of Super Mario Galaxy?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well I meant at least 3 characters total by the end of the year, but I always appreciate the optimism nonetheless. People keep forgetting the Sakurai column that make it clear that DLC development has not been hindered

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Didn't you said that you expect Geno as 7th, Chief as 8th, Lloyd as 9th, Dante as 10th and Crash as 11th? Did the Xbox Showcase make you feel diferent about the order?
I originally thought Chief would be last given he didn't enter the conversation until last December but recently a lot has come up that, if true, Chief was probably decided around Banjo's release but Microsoft miraculously managed to not let this get out until a solid 4-5 months after the fact. It's weird because I'm now considering people getting information wrong back in January about Dante. I talk about it a little bit in this post in February:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2404#post-23831272

Did Dante enter development in January? Teeeeechnically but not like actual coding development. I think Dante may have been approved in January, especially with new information coming from one of my contacts about two weeks ago that Capcom was the last company that successfully negotiated a pack for Season 2. Dante having his lever pulled (giggity) around the time the DMC 3 port was announced makes sense in my eyes but, on that note, means he's definitely not a 2020 character because the timeline between approval and release seems to be about a year to 14 months on average. If Dante was approved in mid January, it's reasonable to expect him as a Spring 2021 release at the earliest.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I originally thought Chief would be last given he didn't enter the conversation until last December but recently a lot has come up that, if true, Chief was probably decided around Banjo's release but Microsoft miraculously managed to not let this get out until a solid 4-5 months after the fact. It's weird because I'm now considering people getting information wrong back in January about Dante. I talk about it a little bit in this post in February:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2404#post-23831272

Did Dante enter development in January? Teeeeechnically but not like actual coding development. I think Dante may have been approved in January, especially with new information coming from one of my contacts about two weeks ago that Capcom was the last company that successfully negotiated a pack for Season 2. Dante having his lever pulled (giggity) around the time the DMC 3 port was announced makes sense in my eyes but, on that note, means he's definitely not a 2020 character because the timeline between approval and release seems to be about a year to 14 months on average. If Dante was approved in mid January, it's reasonable to expect him as a Spring 2021 release at the earliest.
It seems weird to me that we'd get two swordies who wear red back to back

But then agian, we got saddled with Byleth so nothing is impossible

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Good to hear Pokemon Company is stubborn about DLC because a Pokemon pick in the pass would be absolutely ruin the hype.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
More likely on the horizon. Nintendo knows they need to sell the pass, and it would be detrimental to not have at least 1 or 2 more reveals and releases before the end of the year.
"We're happy to announce that the next two fighters coming in Volume 2 of the Fighters Pass will be... PLUSLE AND MINUN FROM POKEMON! In this unique take on a fighter, each Pokemon is it's own separate character. They're weak on their own, but when two players are playing as both Plusle and Minun on the same team, their damage output will increase slightly. Also, their Up-Special only works when both of them are together."

Now it's just a matter of figuring what this supposed "last stop" is before the Direct. Apparently the next Dragon Quest game is going to be revealed in the next issue of Shonen Jump and that's supposed to drop, coincidentally, August 3rd:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sackchief/status/1287444834383548419
OH BOY!
output_nV2Jkh.gif

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Imagine the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 actually having been planned out for Challenger Packs to go from jolly-kid-friendly-Rated-E-For-Everyone characters, to more serious, somber Packs by the end (maybe packs 9 - 11, or 10 and 11). I'd be down for that. :denzel:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I personally wouldn't care if we are in for a Pokemon rep in this DLC, but dear LORD please not have it be CP7. Pack 5 was disappointing to me and Pack 6, while it does make sense, it was something that just wasn't hype because we just knew an ARMS rep was coming eventually. If we are really in for a Pokemon rep in CP7, that would be EXTREMELY disappointing, especially a Pokemon from the worst mainline games, in my personal opinion.

If we get Toxtricity, that I would be fine with since at the very LEAST Toxtricity is a fan-favorite among Sword & Shield fans. But if its someone like Urshifu, especially so soon after Byleth, I won't deny the fact that I will be a bit salty. I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything, but I'm just giving my personal opinions.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Honestly, I personally wouldn't care if we are in for a Pokemon rep in this DLC, but dear LORD please not have it be CP7. Pack 5 was disappointing to me and Pack 6, while it does make sense, it was something that just wasn't hype because we just knew an ARMS rep was coming eventually. If we are really in for a Pokemon rep in CP7, that would be EXTREMELY disappointing, especially a Pokemon from the worst mainline games, in my personal opinion.

If we get Toxtricity, that I would be fine with since at the very LEAST Toxtricity is a fan-favorite among Sword & Shield fans. But if its someone like Urshifu, especially so soon after Byleth, I won't deny the fact that I will be a bit salty. I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything, but I'm just giving my personal opinions.
If we do end up getting another Pokemon character, I'll be fine with it so long as it's not Rillaboom. Not because I hate RIllaboom or anything, hell I think he'd be a great choice with a lot of moveset potential. It's just that the amount of seething from people who want a Grass-Type starter Pokemon that would come from something like that would be amazing to witness.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
*sees Geno and Chief. no longer cares about the rest. dies happy.*

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've always wanted Eevee with some sort of phase change or just multi-element moves from the rest of the Eeveelutions. I don't think that's reasonable to expect at this point in time so I've always written it off as a possibility, but if they somehow made that work, I would main the crap out of them.

I think a Pokemon rep in the DLC is possible, but honestly I'm not feeling it's all that likely. I think they'd go Urshifu though based on the DLC's promotional art and what they seem to be pushing.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
2020 needs this

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Toxtricity definitely would be my go to choice and I think the boat for 7 has probably passed as it probably would have released close to the expansion pass but 8 is still on the table.

And I've been seeing people say TPC are stingy but if so then why is Pokemon the single most represented franchise in the game. Yes it's iconic but just because something warrants representation doesn't mean it is going to as the owners of a franchise could easily say no. Pokemon pretty much gets special treatment all the time when it co!we to smash and the usual pattern is if a new gen that isn't represented with a character in Smash has lined up right then it usually gets chosen. The lack of 3 and 5th gens bolster this as they were overshadowed by more relevant gens at the time. I usually don't like saying things definitively but if there is one thing I will it's that Pokemon should never be ruled out and is really likely in all honesty. Not for 7 but DLC in general I'd say it's pretty much a lock due to it tonnes of past precedence which are things that actually make sense to comply to unlike fad theories like companion and colour.

Either way I still think Geno is likely for 7 so that's cool. On a tangent, is there a chance we see anything decent from Nintendo soon? Smash or otherwise.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I really hope Geno gets in next, or the one after next, considering the very limited slots and Sakurai doubling down on 'this is it'. The bloodiest war ever witnessed by the Smash fanbase is coming, and I want to grab my boy and get well out of range before it starts.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At bare minimum, I'm confident we'll see FP8 will be revealed and released by the end of the year. I can't imagine FP7 being the last reveal of the year to be honest.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It seems weird to me that we'd get two swordies who wear red back to back

But then agian, we got saddled with Byleth so nothing is impossible
On the upside Lloyd and Dante fight nothing alike. Lloyd is basically a berserker that fights with two swords and with some rumors suggesting he would have a partner mechanic of some kind while Dante fights with a sword, two guns, magic, and can turn into a ****in' demon. Either way, there's enough differences between the two that I don't think anybody will be complaining about swords because Lloyd would probably be a mix of Metaknight and Roy while Dante would be a mix of Cloud and Bayonetta.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
View attachment 280300

View attachment 280301

I wanna share these cool art I made back in the Wii U days. That version Smash its probably the one thats more hit me cause its added my long requested character there: Mega Man. That day I was schock in tears of joy. My most wanted up to that date.

Now when Ultimate adds Geno, it will revive that feeling and it will be even greater. Its clear that Geno is my most wanted since Mega Man was added.

The picture is the 8 most iconic characters in Wii U Smash for me + their first game. Five guys of Nintendo and the 3 epic Third on those days.

Best wishes!
Would love to see it with Simon there.
I think it's more likely the next is on the horizon.

Tbh I don't think the pass would sell poorly. Even if the characters are liked or not, I'm pretty sure people would buy the pass regardless, cause having a full roster is one of the things that makes Smash awesome.
I didn't buy the pass this time, i would love it if I could curate the roster. Not having all the dlc is one way. Byleth being there still irks me, and I finished three houses afterwards. And it still irritates me.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
On the upside Lloyd and Dante fight nothing alike. Lloyd is basically a berserker that fights with two swords and with some rumors suggesting he would have a partner mechanic of some kind while Dante fights with a sword, two guns, magic, and can turn into a ****in' demon. Either way, there's enough differences between the two that I don't think anybody will be complaining about swords because Lloyd would probably be a mix of Metaknight and Roy while Dante would be a mix of Cloud and Bayonetta.
Your fighter's pass sounds too good to be real but I really want it!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Either way I still think Geno is likely for 7 so that's cool. On a tangent, is there a chance we see anything decent from Nintendo soon? Smash or otherwise.
King Zell, the person who correctly guessed the February 13, September 4 and March 26 Directs says their will be a Direct sometime in August, but their won't be any new big Nintendo information for the rest of this month. We also have maintenance in August, which usually ever happens when a Direct is on the horizon, and as for Smash info, the "new" tab under the fighter selection has disappeared, which usually indicates a new fighter will get revealed soon. Honestly, I do believe we are in for more info very soon here.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Plus, Dante's a popular legacy character from Capcom that people would absolutely go nuts over, and apart from Phoenix Wright, is arguably the next go-to franchise for another Capcom rep.

Firox

Smash Master
Good to hear Pokemon Company is stubborn about DLC because a Pokemon pick in the pass would be absolutely ruin the hype.
This is why I was against us getting a Pokken Tournament shill. Could you imagine the message that would send having Nintendo force-feeding us two older first party fighting game reps in a row? Even if we weren't going to get a fighter pass full of shills, it wouldn't stop the speculation crowd from descending into total chaos over it. Expectations would evaporate entirely (in case they haven't already).

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
In regards to the Pokken thingy, I wouldn't really read too much into it. Was the ARMS free trial announced AFTER the Smash "series" fighter reveal? I think that was the case, which would have been to "promote" the Smash fighter who would eventually come in.

Also, we've gotten a Splatoon 2 free trial and I highly doubt we will get Octolings. Nothing against it, but I just don't think they would be on the fighter's pass unless there is some hypothetical "bonus" or individual DLC (like Plant) that can work more like Echoes or Semi-Clones. Well ... I guess Sakurai could give them the "Byleth" treatment to play a little different. But again, I just personally don't see it.

So for Pokken trial, I don't quite see it as a tease for Smash since if I recall correctly, the ARMS trial was after the "fighter series" reveal.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the timing.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What are the odds that Geno doesn't have a recovery and he just as an extremely high and floaty jump like Yoshi? Geno Boost is his Up Special which basically boosts his chances.

At the expense of making Geno dittos miserable to play, this also seems like a really solid idea for a Geno recovery.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd is basically a berserker that fights with two swords and with some rumors suggesting he would have a partner mechanic of some kind
Wait, what? How is this the first I'm hearing of it?

I guess I can see a partner aspect when you consider Unison Attacks, but there's a small handful of them in Symphonia. I hope we'd get more than just Lloyd and Colette, who (in my opinion), is the *worst* Symphonia companion.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Plus, Dante's a popular legacy character from Capcom that people would absolutely go nuts over, and apart from Phoenix Wright, is arguably the next go-to franchise for another Capcom rep.
I mean Dante is cool as heck, but I gotta say I really really love Amaterasu from Okami. Not sure her body proportions would work well for Smash, but she's always been one of my favorite characters. (And where my username is based off of.)

I'd be cool with Dante or really most of the cast of the Capcom side of Marvel vs. Capcom. Capcom makes some neat characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If FP7 gets released in September like I'm thinking is going to be the case, I'm fairly confident FP8 will be a November release and our last DLC fighter release of the year.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
It's because apparently Mewtwo was a monstrous pain in the ass to get into Smash 4. TPC was only for it if Mewtwo was free, Nintendo didn't like that and apparently they butted heads about it until they reached a compromise that irked both parties. When it comes to Smash,TPC is reluctant to showcase their "old" stuff which is why certain Pokeball Pokemon and even playable Pokemon have gotten the axe so heavily in the past. Pichu was "old news" by the time Brawl rolled around so they didn't fight for him to return, for example.
Why would the Pokémon Company of all companies want Mewtwo to be free and Nintendo of all companies want to charge for the character? Heck Nintendo even had Piranha Plant as a free bonus for a while.

100% agree. While I would never buy a season pass blindly like that without knowing the contents, SSBU's DLC has been the exception. This is because I know Sakurai will always deliver quality. Even if a fighter is one I'm not the most interested in, I know that the character will at least be high quality and I want to have the complete roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom