• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, we're near a direct? Is that the case? It's only a matter before we hear an announcement if the rumour is true, right?

:bowser:.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If they planned on buying the SMRPG rights, then why wasn´t Geno in the base game I might ask?
Buying the rights to SMRPG makes no sense in the long run considering that Nintendo absolutely hates buying series/studios, even if it may have been a good move (there were a lot of rumours about Nintendo buying Atlus or Cygames when they were on sale, both of which are doing pretty well now). The last time I remember they bought something was all the way back in 2007 with MonolithSoft, which made little sense at the time because they were super niche (there are rumors that it happened because Nintendo was actually trying to fully buy Bamco, but in the end all that came to pass was a small portion of it). Regardless, I don't think Nintendo cares about buying the rights to studios/series/characters even if they could definitely afford a lot currently.

On top of it unless Nintendo pays a luxurious sum of money for SMRPG rights, Square has no reason to sell them. In the long run, they'd earn much more cash by just licensing fees of SMRPG sales, and if Geno/Mallow do end up in Smash/future Mario titles; licensing for that too.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Never been a fan of these multi billion dollar corporations doing their wacky oh so """relatable""" meme posts on Twitter. But if Geno does end up getting in I guess I'll take it, although I kind of doubt Canada Walmart gaming has any serious knowledge on Geno in Smash.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Buying the rights to SMRPG makes no sense in the long run considering that Nintendo absolutely hates buying series/studios, even if it may have been a good move (there were a lot of rumours about Nintendo buying Atlus or Cygames when they were on sale, both of which are doing pretty well now). The last time I remember they bought something was all the way back in 2007 with MonolithSoft, which made little sense at the time because they were super niche (there are rumors that it happened because Nintendo was actually trying to fully buy Bamco, but in the end all that came to pass was a small portion of it). Regardless, I don't think Nintendo cares about buying the rights to studios/series/characters even if they could definitely afford a lot currently.

On top of it unless Nintendo pays a luxurious sum of money for SMRPG rights, Square has no reason to sell them. In the long run, they'd earn much more cash by just licensing fees of SMRPG sales, and if Geno/Mallow do end up in Smash/future Mario titles; licensing for that too.
If Nintendo would have ended up buying Bamco, that would have been pretty big

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, haven't we established that the Mario Presentation only existed at all because E3 was canned? As in, whatever was going to be at E3 related to Mario got shoved into that first before that got canned as well? So if they did plan to reveal a Mario Character there it was originally planned for E3? There is no "triple reveal" timeline here. Min Min was going to be revealed at the Spring Direct and then at E3 we would have gotten 7 and likely 8. Straight forward and simple. In the current timeline, we have everything seemingly pushed back a month or two, and whatever was going to be at E3 will likely be in next weeks direct, bringing certainly 7 and maybe 8 depending on how stuff shakes out. Hinging on a triple reveal is absolute insanity and I figured after what happened in January you wouldn't do that again.
images (3).jpeg

Don't care; going for it.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is the Geno fandom in a nutshell

No kidding. I enjoy interacting with people here, but waving the victory flag like there is no tomorrow and acting like "war" is won before even the bomb has yet to drop is not healthy in my book and I´m not looking forward to what would happen if he is not announced (or worse, we get the Mii costume back) Just look at when people believed that the bird picture meant that Geno was closer then ever before, but then there was nothing..

My mentality is pretty much like Ben Afflecks Batman. "If there is a one percent chance he is our enemy, we have to take it as an absolute certainty. " but change enemy with the chance that leakers got false pieces of information/coincidences that did not mean anything in the long run.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno's not in Smash yet because he and Mallow are still stuck in Square Enix prison.

Fortunately, Geno's got a fool-proof escape plan: a bunch of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters will start a riot, and Geno and Mallow will walk out the front door.
Geno and Mallow escaping from prison:

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*FF IV random encounter music plays*
> Geno casts Geno Boost on Mario
> Mario uses Darkness
> Mallow uses Bluff
> Peach Dualcasts Slow on enemies and Haste on party
> Bowser uses Cry
>Geno casts Geno Boost on Self
> Mario uses Ultra Jump (100 times)
> Mallow casts Thundaga on enemies
> Peach Dualcasts Protect and Shell on party
> Bowser uses Darkness
> Geno casts Meteor

*FF IV victory fanfare music plays*

QQS

Smash Lord
8DA4E6AB-28C1-440F-9AE2-2EFC5C9C78A4.jpeg

So these 5 guys are the most likely for the next Direct and the entire FP2, also with Dante, Hayabusa, Lloyd, a Pokemon, a Zelda rep, Dixie, Bandana and a few others; maybe even Isaac and Sora. But these 5 are the most likely maybe. At least 3 of these 5 are going to be PLAYABLE IMO.

Credits to all artists on their pictures and the Geno picture I took it from here to make the collage. So please again credits to the creator of the art.

GENO AIMS FOR SMASH! & CRASH GOES FOR A SPIN!

Let surprise all of us with more characters as Smash DLC, more Nintendo upcoming games and the celebration of Super Mario 35° in the next Nintendo Direct.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 278451

So these 5 guys are the most likely for the next Direct and the entire FP2, also with Dante, Hayabusa, Lloyd, a Pokemon, a Zelda rep, Dixie, Bandana and a few others; maybe even Isaac and Sora. But these 5 are the most likely maybe. At least 3 of these 5 are going to be PLAYABLE IMO.

Credits to all artists on their pictures and the Geno picture I took it from here to make the collage. So please again credits to the creator of the art.

GENO AIMS FOR SMASH! & CRASH GOES FOR A SPIN!

Let surprise all of us with more characters as Smash DLC, more Nintendo upcoming games and the celebration of Super Mario 35° in the next Nintendo Direct.
At the very least, I see one of these characters becoming playable by the time Ultimate finishes its DLC cycle. They're way too popular for Nintendo and Sakurai to just ignore.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Walmart Canada, they may know something and they may not but it's kind of an unspoken rule to not put gaming channels on blast. In the past, I've only done this to GameXplain and I've already read that tome of history many-a-times as to why. Do gaming Twitter and YouTube channels do dogwhistles when they know something? Absolutely but calling it out, as Sabi showed, is pretty much the fastest way to make enemies. This is why I don't do this because without that courtesy there would pretty much be no secrets and everyone would be suspicious and resentful of everyone else.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Oh sh-

Guys get the net he’s driving to Japan again
It still blows my mind that no matter how far we take it the outsiders just can't grasp the idea that this thread is all just one massive ****post for our own amusement, forged by our mutual love of the puppet man. All the hype policing and concern trolling reminds me of that kanye west south park episode, and it just makes it all that much funnier.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Interesting development because these don't appear to be tied to the previous Amiibo wave leak. As you all remember, Min Min didn't have any new Amiibo with her wave either so this kind of suggests that they've deliberately created a buffer so that there's time to create the DLC Amiibo. This could potentially suggest an early September release of someone and then an October release of someone else.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Interesting development because these don't appear to be tied to the previous Amiibo wave leak. As you all remember, Min Min didn't have any new Amiibo with her wave either so this kind of suggests that they've deliberately created a buffer so that there's time to create the DLC Amiibo. This could potentially suggest an early September release of someone and then an October release of someone else.
Or just that amiibo are getting rereleased at different times in different countries? Even for Joker it seems he's out in Japan the 25th but America October 2nd. Regardless this still heavily implies a September release if amiibo theory holds up for the 7th time in a row.

EDIT: Did a quick check, there have been several waves of Smash Ultimate amiibo that released in Japan exactly one week before NA, so Joker and Hero releasing early for them is nothing new or noteworthy, and the different release dates don't conflict with amiibo theory at all.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Or just that amiibo are getting rereleased at different times in different countries? Even for Joker it seems he's out in Japan the 25th but America October 2nd. Regardless this still heavily implies a September release if amiibo theory holds up for the 7th time in a row.
I'm gonna second this, the amiibo waves and to a lesser extend september directs are the one thing we could always could on in nintendo's carnival of chaos they call a marketing department.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact the Joker amiibo is still being released in September, and potentially the DQ hero amiibo around the same time frame, still implies a potential Square rep is on the horizon.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
On the topic of Walmart Canada, they may know something and they may not but it's kind of an unspoken rule to not put gaming channels on blast. In the past, I've only done this to GameXplain and I've already read that tome of history many-a-times as to why. Do gaming Twitter and YouTube channels do dogwhistles when they know something? Absolutely but calling it out, as Sabi showed, is pretty much the fastest way to make enemies. This is why I don't do this because without that courtesy there would pretty much be no secrets and everyone would be suspicious and resentful of everyone else.
Am I reading this wrong? That stating out loud what they're hinting at is gonna get you dogpiled?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

EDIT: Did a quick check, there have been several waves of Smash Ultimate amiibo that released in Japan exactly one week before NA, so Joker and Hero releasing early for them is nothing new or noteworthy, and the dates being different still doesn't conflict with amiibo theory at all.
Okay, looking at it again, I originally read the NA release as October 7th for some reason and thought there was a notably bigger gap. Disregard my original train of thought.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Still think we're getting at least three: whoever the Mario presentation reveal was supposed to be and the E3 reveals. Since January my prediction for the E3 reveals has been Geno and Crash but, ironically, things have come up recently that suggest that not only was Geno supposed to be the Mario presentation reveal but the E3 reveals were potentially Waluigi and Crash. Running the full gambit, in the event that Nintendo goes absolute Mad Lad, I think we'll be seeing a second first party pick and I have inkling that if Nintendo goes that far it will be Dixie Kong. So, in short:

Pessimistic: No one and we all spontaneously die of disappointment.

Neutral: Geno or Crash

Optimistic: Geno and Crash

Super Optimistic: Geno, Waluigi, and Crash

"Fatman's Patented Bull**** Optimism©": Geno, Waluigi, Crash, and probably Dixie
I largely disagree with the idea of getting more than 2 in this July Direct, and 50/50 on the idea of bonuses but I'm curious to your reasoning for these scenerios. What stuff has come up recently (if you're allowed to share of course)?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Am I reading this wrong? That stating out loud what they're hinting at is gonna get you dogpiled?
I'll put it this way: I make my own conclusions based on my own research. For example, of my predictions, nobody has flat out told me certain characters are happening. It's a matter of probability and I weigh what's known, who said it, their record, etc. Other people do this too and reach their own conclusions. Whoever runs the Walmart Canada page could have done this too and, as such, they could be totally wrong for one reason or another, just like I have been in the past. Because of this, it's rude to blast other people as if they absolutely know because, quite frankly, they might not. It's kind of like with Jon Cartwright and how it's pretty obvious he gets insider intel but nobody is totally infallible or all knowing. Sometimes people are flaunting their knowledge and sometimes they're spitballing and the waters get muddied very quickly. That said, nobody likes a snitch either so if you do catch someone in the act, telling everyone about it is a very fast way to make enemies.

TL;DR: blasting people when they're going off their own knowledge is kind of a **** move whether they know something definitively or not.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Not to attack anyone in particular, but this whole 'Don't get disappointed' thing is just weird. Is it supposed to be like a reverse-psychology sort of thing, and the goal is for Geno fans to be disappointed? Or is the mindset that Geno won't get in and then they'll say, "None of you are disappointed? Good, I'm glad you realized your puppet never had a chance"? Something seems fishy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, Geno's got a great chance and I don't think he'll be relegated to Mii Fighter costume status again. Sakurai and Nintendo are well aware of his fan demand, and as far as I can tell, he did well on the ballot. We've got very little reason to doubt his chances right now.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Man playing through SMRPG again is really making me want to see these characters again. SMRPG by far includes some of the most interesting and unique characters that have ever been featured in a Mario game to date, and to see all of these characters again with updated designs and 3D models would be absolutely amazing to see.

Hoping we get our wish soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom