• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Haven't seen anyone mention it, so sorry if I missed it, but Zippo seems to now also be backing up that there's a direct coming next week, along with giving a bit of info on the rumored Mario collection.
TBH I'm fine with them just doing that, but at the very least my main sticking point is doubling the frame rate on 64 and Sunshine. Going from 30 to 60 in those games is such a drastic improvement visually, especially for Sunshine, that I really can't see myself not just going back to emulating them if they don't. Two of my favorite ""remakes"" are the Banjo Kazooie and especially Tooie ports for the 360, specifically because they make them definitive, objectively better versions of the game with just some upscaling and 60fps, especially for Tooie which runs like complete ass on N64 due to getting rushed out for Holiday 2000.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys expect a double whammy reveal similar to last E3? Personally I don’t myself but the idea of It is super cool. If we do I’m hoping it’ll be a combination of either Geno, Lloyd, Crash or Dante respectfully.
I was hesitant at first to think this, but then I remembered that Min Min was likely going to be out in April while #7 and #8’s trailers were also done ahead of time and ready for E3. Needless to say, I do believe we will get two since DLC is back on track, I just really hope one of them is Geno or Crash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The main problem with any future Smash installment beyond Ultimate is how they could realistically top this game when all is said and done, but as Sakurai has said, it's very likely we'll never get a game this big ever again.
i think that depends if the next smash game is completely from scratch or reusing most current assets
next smash game need SSE sequel so more things can expanded throughout the story i dont think smash will go downhill after ultimate unless if it doesnt involve Sakurai working on it, i expect a new smash game after nintendo moves away from the switch to a new console.
i would expect that next smash game would have few newcomers and few new stages but more echoes and new alt skins however more newcomers and stages would be expanded throughout future DLC

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'm curious what he's talking about for 3D World. My personal hope is that Nintendo finally said "**** it" and Wario, Waluigi, and Daisy will finally be playable in a Mario platformer. On the topic of caving to long time fan demands, one goofy AF rumor is Geno and Mallow eventually coming to Mario Kart Tour and my reaction is likely what all of yours are... WTF? On one hand it would hilarious while on the other hand it's the definition of Monkey Paw **** and I'm 99% sure it's bull**** or leakbait. Do characters cost money because there's no way in hell Square would agree to free cameos if they practically kicked and screamed about Cloud not coming back as DLC a second time.
Honestly I could see them coming to Tour or the rumored Mario Kart 9 if they were all worked out around the same time as the Smash Ultimate deal. But as we've seen with King K. Rool, Sakurai gets dibs to be the one to revive these old characters first, so just another reason Geno would be sooner in FP2 rather than later.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Can I just say, I really hate when people complain about the roster in this game. Just because the last couple of dlc characters weren't ones you personally wanted doesn't take away from the insane quality.

First off, we are ending up with 88 characters MINIMUM. How insane is that? Who could ever have even imagined smash getting that big? We got every character from every game! No one is left out, not even Snake who everyone said had no chance! After all these years, we finally got Ridley and K Rool, the dynamic duo that everyone and their mother wanted since Brawl! We got Simon Belmont, a gigantic fan request from the NES days, and somehow Richter to go along with him! We even got mother****ing Banjo Kazooie! What more do people want? And every character added has had a sizeable fanbase, yes even Byleth. Say what you will, but three houses was crazy popular, and it even won the players choice award at the game awards by a landslide. Shill? Sure. But a lot of people were still happy. Not one character has been a complete waste. We got gaming icon after gaming icon after gaming icon, and most of the big old fan requests. With Lloyd and potentially Dixie Kong likely on the way, the era of big Brawl requests will be essentially over after all these years. And Geno is probably going to show up on Monday. This has been the most ****ing incredible roster I could have ever imagined in a smash game, and honestly, if you're still not satisfied, you should take a step back and look at where we were before ultimate, because there's really no excuse to be complaining now.
I agree with this 100%. Great post.

I have mentioned before how I am content with the roster and how I feel like I'll be happy with pretty much no matter what Sakurai adds. Is that out of complacency or me thinking everything Sakurai does is gold? No, definitely not. It comes from a place of realizing what all Ultimate has and being thankful for that. A lot of the characters that have been in Smash already I would have campaigned for (such as :ultsonic:, :ultolimar:, :ultbowserjr:, and:ultjoker:) so them being in the game has always made me happy. I get it though, there are definitely bigger characters that I think should be in the game (c'mon Sakurai, you know who would be the perfect DeeLC). I do want more characters still... but let's be honest with ourselves... the Smash community is ungrateful as all get out.

Sakurai made a lot of requests reality in Ultimate. *ahem* Everyone Is Here, Daisy, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Dragon Quest characters, Banjo & Kazooie, etc., and yet... there were people (like a certain Mephiles user) who still thought Sakurai didn't care about the fans. Now I get it, Sakurai makes some weird decisions sometimes and as the consumer, we should express when a product isn't to our liking (in a constructive, professional manner of course). But I am irritated when the fanbase moves on from requested characters so quickly. Now let me be clear, I don't mean playing as the character should act as an indication of popularity. There are some out there who think that just because Banjo & Kazooie aren't played by legions of people that their popularity is somewhat invalidated or something (that argument is super dumb). But I don't like when huge requests like Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie are met and then right away people are like, "What's next Sakurai?" I think the Smash fanbase is always looking to the next thing and has trouble being thankful for the food on their plate.

Smash is like a good homemade meal. There is a lot to like, but your parents are gonna make you eat your darn vegetables whether you like it or not. Yeah, the lima beans suck, but man is the meal as a whole fricken' banging. And then we ask for dessert and while the parents (Sakurai) don't always deliver, when they want to... man do they deliver. I feel like the fanbase is always asking for more dessert instead of being thankful for what they're getting. We yell at Sakurai for this dessert (let's use Ridley) for years and then he finally gives us it and... oh wait now apparently this other dessert is really wanted just much for just as long (Isaac)! I'm not trying to say Isaac isn't highly requested and I do want him for his fans, but it seems like nowadays characters like him are being propped up as the new Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and (soon to be) Geno like they have been wanted as much for just as long. Like now Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Isaac are now neccessary for Smash to truly be Ultimate. I just wince, you know? Why do people have to keep moving the goalpost for Ultimate to truly be its namesake? People said it was already Ultimate when "Everyone Is Here" happened, but apparently people just keep moving that goalpost. (Kinda like Geno detractors, eh?) Before it was Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Geno... but now apparently them being added still doesn't make Ultimate "Ultimate" like people were saying before? Like Sakurai added Banjo & Kazooie for the fans, and then right after he wanted to add a historically significant character who impacted him as a developer (Terry). But guess what? Terry wasn't requested by the fanbase and lashed out. I'll admit I didn't know much about Terry either, but now it seems like a lot of the fanbase loves him. Sakurai has the right to add things he wants (obviously), but it seems like a sizable amount don't get that.

My point is that the Smash fanbase is frankly a huge obese child with the amount of good meals and dessert we have gotten at this point. Of course, I do want more dessert like Isaac, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, etc., but we have already gotten so much dessert... so can people just be thankful when Sakurai adds a character that maybe isn't the most requested? Im not trying to be someone's parent (I specify this whenever I make a post like this), but clearly this needs repeating if people still think Ultimate isn't Ultimate and Sakurai doesn't care. You don't have to like every decision the man makes (I don't FYI), but I think the fanbase should be grateful to have such a loving parent as Sakurai.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How credible is Zippo?
Decently so. He's only gotten the spotlight recently because Sabi did that thing where he attached himself to an insider and blasted whatever they told him in private on Twitter. Kind of like that massive report said recently, he (Sabi, not Zippo) stole info from more than a dozen people including Jon Cartwright, Imran Khan, Mystic Distance, Vergeben, Zhuge, Xenother, Papagenos, VRPlant, Hitagi, my NoA ambassador friend, at least two of my current contacts, Jeff Grubb, and god knows how many others.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Can I just say, I really hate when people complain about the roster in this game. Just because the last couple of dlc characters weren't ones you personally wanted doesn't take away from the insane quality.

First off, we are ending up with 88 characters MINIMUM. How insane is that? Who could ever have even imagined smash getting that big? We got every character from every game! No one is left out, not even Snake who everyone said had no chance! After all these years, we finally got Ridley and K Rool, the dynamic duo that everyone and their mother wanted since Brawl! We got Simon Belmont, a gigantic fan request from the NES days, and somehow Richter to go along with him! We even got mother****ing Banjo Kazooie! What more do people want? And every character added has had a sizeable fanbase, yes even Byleth. Say what you will, but three houses was crazy popular, and it even won the players choice award at the game awards by a landslide. Shill? Sure. But a lot of people were still happy. Not one character has been a complete waste. We got gaming icon after gaming icon after gaming icon, and most of the big old fan requests. With Lloyd and potentially Dixie Kong likely on the way, the era of big Brawl requests will be essentially over after all these years. And Geno is probably going to show up on Monday. This has been the most ****ing incredible roster I could have ever imagined in a smash game, and honestly, if you're still not satisfied, you should take a step back and look at where we were before ultimate, because there's really no excuse to be complaining now.
Good. Banging. GOD. Out of every single word in every single language on this goddamn planet, none of them can properly describe how much I agree with this post.

Every character has their fans, even ones most of the Smash community hate like Corrin, but even so, this game has a roster unparalleled in any game at all. The fact that Sakurai has gone on a hell-and-back cycle to gather all these characters into this one massive game is more than enough to please a majority of people. The amount of characters we have in-game is immense as is, and DLC just makes it bigger than that. We have returning veterans, requested newcomers and left-field characters all condensed into one massive game, and people expect me to believe that the roster is still bad after all of that because that one character they want is not in the roster?! After adding several characters that many thought to have been impossible!? I can't take any of these complaints seriously. You and I are on the same page. There's no room for complaint about which characters are and aren't in Smash after this amazing blend of quality and quantity that the roster provides.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok, this is way overthinking it, and i dislike this type of conspiracy theory. Ignoring how Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U were meant to be the same game on different consoles with minor bonuses to each, we know why Sticker Star turned out like it did, and it has almost everything to do with misusing advice from Miyamoto and aiming the game at a far younger audience, combined with them feeling threatened by the Mario & Luigi series stepping on their toes. To go into such a tirade about how this is nintendo trying to surprise us, over a game that came out 8 years ago is kinda insane. If they were planning a remake of Super Mario RPG, why would Nintendo remove their in house Mario RPG? Especially for a project that would take 8 years to complete? You also ignored the whole "But what about the Mario and Luigi series?" thing despite bringing it up. It makes no sense as both an artist and a coperate entity to sabotage your own product so a simple remake that won't be out for a decade won't have it's toes stepped on.
Well I gotta admit. I am a bit insane. :seuss:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, been playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for the past few days and been thinking, you think Geno would get along with Shulk, Fiora, and the others?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you guys expect a double whammy reveal similar to last E3? Personally I don’t myself but the idea of It is super cool. If we do I’m hoping it’ll be a combination of either Geno, Lloyd, Crash or Dante respectfully.
Still think we're getting at least three: whoever the Mario presentation reveal was supposed to be and the E3 reveals. Since January my prediction for the E3 reveals has been Geno and Crash but, ironically, things have come up recently that suggest that not only was Geno supposed to be the Mario presentation reveal but the E3 reveals were potentially Waluigi and Crash. Running the full gambit, in the event that Nintendo goes absolute Mad Lad, I think we'll be seeing a second first party pick and I have inkling that if Nintendo goes that far it will be Dixie Kong. So, in short:

Pessimistic: No one and we all spontaneously die of disappointment.

Neutral: Geno or Crash

Optimistic: Geno and Crash

Super Optimistic: Geno, Waluigi, and Crash

"Fatman's Patented Bull**** Optimism©": Geno, Waluigi, Crash, and probably Dixie

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Still think we're getting at least three: whoever the Mario presentation reveal was supposed to be and the E3 reveals. Since January my prediction for the E3 reveals has been Geno and Crash but, ironically, things have come up recently that suggest that not only was Geno supposed to be the Mario presentation reveal but the E3 reveals were potentially Waluigi and Crash. Running the full gambit, in the event that Nintendo goes absolute Mad Lad, I think we'll be seeing a second first party pick and I have inkling that if Nintendo goes that far it will be Dixie Kong. So, in short:

"Fatman's Patented Bull**** Optimism©": Geno, Waluigi, Crash, and probably Dixie
Nintendo: Pink Gold Peach is announced.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Lord, the idea of Geno and Mallow in Mario Kart Tour is wild to me. I mean, imagine the Mario presentation showing off all the games and then they go "Wait...something is missing" then proceeds to show unlikely characters in Mario games (Wario, Waluigi and Daisy in 3D world, Geno and Mallow in Tour and ends with Geno and Waluigi for Smash)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

The only thing that bothers me about bonuses being mixed in with the regular pass is it throws off the numbering. And I know this is the sort of thing that only bothers me XD

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

One character is highly probable, Two wouldn´t be out of the question but I wouldn´t like to bet on it. Three?
Don´t see that happening. Nintendo rarely tops itself when it comes to presentation( in content, not form. The puppets and the robot chicken skits are still the best presentations) Hell, no company does.
BS optimism is mostly correct.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo: Pink Gold Peach is announced.
I think I'd be the only person who'd actually enjoy this. I love the Mario franchise leagues more than pretty much any other franchise in/wanted for Smash, and I love it when Mario gets weird/dumb. I wouldn't actively root for PGP, but if Nintendo pulled that, I'd just be like "Oh, dope!"

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of Plant's inclusion.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to go ahead and assume there'll be only one character reveal, and it won't be Geno.

History has taught me that, when it comes to Nintendo, it's better to bet low than high.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm just going to go ahead and assume there'll be only one character reveal, and it won't be Geno.

History has taught me that, when it comes to Nintendo, it's better to bet low than high.
Agreed. I mean, there is always a chance it won't be Geno. Do you know how many other video game characters are out there? Plus, Geno was never guaranteed to be the next reveal in the first place. Not saying he can't happen, but way to many people think Geno is next, for sure. It is best to tamper expectations here.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I hope Nintendo cuts the alts and baby forms and put in other charachter like Geno, Samus, Captain Falcon (how we got his ride and 2 stages and not the charachter is beyond me) or hell why not throw in Kirby and Fox too

The same goes for Mario Party. Add Geno and some other franchises in

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Haven't seen anyone mention it, so sorry if I missed it, but Zippo seems to now also be backing up that there's a direct coming next week, along with giving a bit of info on the rumored Mario collection.
So basically, the "Mario 3D collection" will essentially be Super Mario 64 graphically overhauled to look better (and while Zippo doesn't mention this, I would also guess some minor improvements like a better camera), with Sunshine and the Galaxy games being just straight ports with up-rezzed graphics .

To be honest, that's... actually just what I expected. I think Sunshine and the Galaxy games hold up well enough that they could just get away with mostly straight ports (though with Sunshine, they'll definitely have to address the lack of analogue shoulder buttons). Super Mario 64 is the one that could really benefit from some heavy improvements... and while Zippo warns not to get your hopes up, I'm tempted to hope that 64 ends up getting the N. Sane Trilogy treatment: not just better graphics on par with Super Mario Odyssey, but also additional stuff like the content from the DS version (playable Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi, all the additional stars, and the mini-games) and brand new stuff on top of that (playable Waluigi and even more stars).

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just realized we're about 40 pages away from hitting 3,000! :D
Yep, but it's more likely we'll reach that number after the Nintendo Direct next week than before it. Still, we're in pretty good shape

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ok then, who do you think will appear as Challenger 7 if Geno or Waluigi isn't the case for the potential Nintendo Direct Next Week.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
All due respect, but I think people who are saying things like "keep your expectations low" and "hype responsibly" are talking to a brick wall. That is to say, it's a line that's been used so often in this thread that it's lost all meaning. It would be far more productive to just let people enjoy things and focus on your own personal expectations instead of bringing down the mood for everyone else.

Personally, I like to enjoy the hype train even with the risk of potentially being disappointed rather than just expect the worst straight away, because otherwise what's the point of being on this journey if you can't have fun with it? But that's just my own personal view.

Dukefire

Smash Master
All due respect, but I think people who are saying things like "keep your expectations low" and "hype responsibly" are talking to a brick wall. That is to say, it's a line that's been used so often in this thread that it's lost all meaning. It would be far more productive to just let people enjoy things and focus on your own personal expectations instead of bringing down the mood for everyone else.

Personally, I like to enjoy the hype train even with the risk of potentially being disappointed rather than just expect the worst straight away, because otherwise what's the point of being on this journey if you can't have fun with it? But that's just my own personal view.
Again, Hype Responsibly.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Let me just put it this way: Leading oneself to disappointment, and the disappointment itself, is not a mentally healthy way to be or go.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Low expectations ... no disappointments. I do follow that course personally.

But if people want them hype themselves, let em be. I ain't going to rain on anyone's parade.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One could argue that seeing disappointment in every potential outcome is also unhealthy.
Don't be silly! It can be avoided. It may be a bit pessimistic, but that is not what I am doing, evn.

Helping oneself control expectations for something can help avoid disappointment, and maybe make one excited even more if the outcome comes true in their favor. That is not what some people seem to be doing here.

I mean, even if I can't change people's minds, which is true, that won't change the fact for possible disappointment if they don't control their expectations.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Ok then, who do you think will appear as Challenger 7 if Geno or Waluigi isn't the case for the potential Nintendo Direct Next Week.
If Geno is not next, the dream would be (IMO) Akira Howard, but I highly doubt they even have a chance as a bonus fighter...
I guess Rex and Pyra or Crash

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
So, been playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for the past few days and been thinking, you think Geno would get along with Shulk, Fiora, and the others?
Literally just got to the game's credits when I saw this (not Future Connected) and I'm chuckling because of the idea.

I don't know if this is how Geno is characterized in game, but he seems to be very loyal for the cause he is fighting for and the "higher power" he works for. Without spoilers... um, I'm unsure if Geno would like Shulk and his party since they seem to have a different viewpoint on "higher powers/Gods/entities" than Geno probably does. So as a holy being who works for possibly an even "more holy" being, I don't know if Geno would mesh well with them. (But I'm sure Geno would be fine with earlier-game Shulk and co.)

(Gosh I'm walking on eggshells. To anyone who has completed Xenoblade Chronicles, hopefully what I was trying to say made some sense and was somewhat amusing.)

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
As we don’t know the true planned end date of this pack of 6 characters, I don’t think an announcement of two characters would be strange at all. One announced for Fall 2020 and Winter 2020 brings us 3 more for 2021, which would mathematically be half of the way to the end of 2021. Assuming that “December 2021” is just their way of saying “By the end of 2021”, the actual last FP11 could be out by the Summer or Fall of 2021 for all we know. If that’s the case, it’s possible that we could get FP7-9 by the end of this year, so an announcement with 3 characters the next direct, especially since it’s the Mario Anniversary + E3 + hell maybe even the Fall direct all in one doesn’t seem weird at all.

I’m not necessarily expecting 3, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Just 1 would surprise me more. We don’t know if Nintendo is going to keep doing presentations as regularly with coronavirus delays, as seen by it being almost a year as is, so maybe big info dumps is a better way to do this until the world has a better grasp on this in the upcoming years.

Now, I’m not 100% sold on Geno or Waluigo, but for the sake of the boards here and fans, I’d love it to happen. There’s certainly a fan base!

Firox

Smash Master
I've been asking for Sonic in Mario Kart for years. :dizzy:
As a side note, I've always thought it funny how Sonic has his own kart racing franchise yet the entire idea of Sonic driving a car is kinda dumb since he can get out and run faster than anyone could drive.

If Geno is not next, the dream would be (IMO) Akira Howard, but I highly doubt they even have a chance as a bonus fighter...
I guess Rex and Pyra or Crash
Yeah, after getting an Astral Chain spirit event, I'd give Akira's chances about 1% tops, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom