• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It still blows my mind that no matter how far we take it the outsiders just can't grasp the idea that this thread is all just one massive ****post for our own amusement, forged by our mutual love of the puppet man. All the hype policing and concern trolling reminds me of that kanye west south park episode, and it just makes it all that much funnier.
Some of us nut jobs have been on this train for fifteen ****ing years, and now, with things looking better than ever, with the culmination of everything finally reaching its apex, with the end goal of all this nonsense finally being within reach, knowing that this may very well be a good chunk of this ragtag band of nerds’ last ride together, somehow people expect caution and restraint, because “aaaa don’t get your hopes up.” **** that ****, it’s the last day of school and we’re making the most of it, cause once it’s over, it’s over, and in the words of Clancy Brown,
1E01224F-DD91-43C4-B9A7-36484EDB6599.gif

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
It honestly amuses me that some people outside of this thread see it as toxic landfill of enraged maniacs who only care about Geno in Smash or some kind of recruiting grounds for the Fatmanonice Circlejerk Cult™ or whatever instead of the generally friendly, laid-back, ****posting community it really is. They do they I guess, but I'm quite fond of this place as a semi-regular.

Not to attack anyone in particular, but this whole 'Don't get disappointed' thing is just weird. Is it supposed to be like a reverse-psychology sort of thing, and the goal is for Geno fans to be disappointed? Or is the mindset that Geno won't get in and then they'll say, "None of you are disappointed? Good, I'm glad you realized your puppet never had a chance"? Something seems fishy.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I give most of these the benefit of the doubt, because I doubt they're any more than just concerned passerbys trying to spread a message they think is right. But I can't help but find it obnoxious sometimes. Can't we just have a little bit of excitement over a video game?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm a little more confident in getting to page 2975 before the 20th, but only just.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm seeing a lot of the typical posts about being annoyed at concern trolling and hype policing, and while that's totally valid and understandable, I don't appreciate people assuming intentions in this particular case. I do generally think a lot of it can be malicious at times, but I am also very close with Icewolff92 Icewolff92 and I can assure you all his post came from a place of legitimate concern. He's been through a ton of crazy stuff and as a result is quite sensitive to people he cares about getting hurt. I get that it's annoying to see that message again, and it's okay to call anyone out on it, but I just want to make sure y'all don't think he's actually concern trolling or trying to single out this fanbase.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, I don't get it either. I give most of these the benefit of the doubt, because I doubt they're any more than just concerned passerbys trying to spread a message they think is right. But I can't help but find it obnoxious sometimes. Can't we just have a little bit of excitement over a video game?
Not to attack anyone in particular, but this whole 'Don't get disappointed' thing is just weird. Is it supposed to be like a reverse-psychology sort of thing, and the goal is for Geno fans to be disappointed? Or is the mindset that Geno won't get in and then they'll say, "None of you are disappointed? Good, I'm glad you realized your puppet never had a chance"? Something seems fishy.
First off, it's not don't get disappointed, it's don't set yourself up to get disappointed. Either way, secondly, the aim of saying that is to try and help others from overhyping themselves too much to the point that if something does not happen the way they want it to, they won't get upset about it. I have seen too many get up set after overhyping themselves up.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
First off, it's not don't get disappointed, it's don't set yourself up to get disappointed. Either way, secondly, the aim of saying that is to try and help others from overhyping themselves too much to the point that if something does not happen the way they want it to, they won't get upset about it. I have seen too many get up set after overhyping themselves up.
But I still think its a stupid thing to do. The point of Nintendo Directs for many people is to get hyped. Trying to lower your expectations just so you aren't disappointed is boring. People should be loud and hype over each announcement they personally find hype. If something disappointing happens, it is really okay and at the end of the day, we move on. We don't let it effect our life in anyway.

I get the message you're trying to send, but I personally don't think people should lower expectations. People should get hyped and excited for these announcements.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think a lot of people just find it insulting that some people don't think they can handle dissapointment. A lot of us are just having fun speculating, and having hope for your character makes it fun. Assuming your character won't get in to avoid getting dissapointed takes all the fun out. In the end, these are grown adults who can decide whether or not to get hyped or believe in. There's just no reason that they should stop getting hyped just because you say so.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
But I still think its a stupid thing to do. The point of Nintendo Directs for many people is to get hyped. Trying to lower your expectations just so you aren't disappointed is boring. People should be loud and hype over each announcement they personally find hype. If something disappointing happens, it is really okay and at the end of the day, we move on. We don't let it effect our life in anyway.

I get the message you're trying to send, but I personally don't think people should lower expectations. People should get hyped and excited for these announcements.
Just because something is made to hype people, doesn't mean lowering one's expectations is not a good idea. It is always best to keep hype at a reasonable level, Heck! You can still get surprised if something you want does get in.

I think a lot of people just find it insulting that some people don't think they can handle dissapointment. A lot of us are just having fun speculating, and having hope for your character makes it fun. Assuming your character won't get in to avoid getting dissapointed takes all the fun out. In the end, these are grown adults who can decide whether or not to get hyped or believe in. There's just no reason that they should stop getting hyped just because you say so.
I didn't say no hype at all, didn't I? Even if I did, that was a mistake on my part. Either way, as I just told Enigma, hyping at a more reasonable level is the way to go, which means non-zero hype. You didn't think I really meant no hype was allowed, did you?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Just because something is made to hype people, doesn't mean lowering one's expectations is not a good idea. It is always best to keep hype at a reasonable level, Heck! You can still get surprised if something you want does get in.

I didn't say no hype at all, didn't I? Even if I did, that was a mistake on my part. Either way, as I just told Enigma, hyping at a more reasonable level is the way to go, which means non-zero hype. You didn't think I really meant no hype was allowed, did you?
It's not so much that you're saying no hype alowed. It's just that you have no authority to dictate how much people are alowed to hype to begin with.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's not so much that you're saying no hype alowed. It's just that you have no authority to dictate how much people are alowed to hype to begin with.
I was aware of that. I wasn't trying to have authority. I was just suggesting out of concern. Don't get me mixed up. What made you think this was about having authority, anyway?

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm seeing a lot of the typical posts about being annoyed at concern trolling and hype policing, and while that's totally valid and understandable, I don't appreciate people assuming intentions in this particular case. I do generally think a lot of it can be malicious at times, but I am also very close with Icewolff92 Icewolff92 and I can assure you all his post came from a place of legitimate concern. He's been through a ton of crazy stuff and as a result is quite sensitive to people he cares about getting hurt. I get that it's annoying to see that message again, and it's okay to call anyone out on it, but I just want to make sure y'all don't think he's actually concern trolling or trying to single out this fanbase.
Don't get me wrong, I do think most of these "hype police" posts are written with good intentions and are harmless in the long run, as I said. They're just mildly bothersome to me and I think they're overdone. That said, I'm not trying to shut down anyone with legitimate concern from warning others though. Maybe they can even help someone who really needs it, but you know, it's hard to ignore that they annoy a lot of people.

Oh, I get you. There are people who overhype themselves and are worse off for it. But there are just as many people who can handle the disappointment and are left intact by it. It's a tricky subject and we're probably better off approaching it with caution since each person is different in this aspect and all.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don't get me wrong, I do think most of these "hype police" posts are written with good intentions and are harmless in the wrong run, as I said. They're just mildly bothersome to me and I think they're overdone. That said, I'm not trying to shut down anyone with legitimate concern from warning others though. Maybe they can even help someone who really needs it, but you know, it's hard to ignore that they annoy a lot of people.

Oh, I get you. There are people who overhype themselves and are worse off for it. But there are just as many people who can handle the disappointment and are left intact by it. It's a tricky subject and we're probably better off approaching it with caution since each person is different in this aspect and all.
I get what you mean by it being overdone, but let me be honest: I forgot some people aren't like that enough to be disappointed in the end, though I believe I did say something about not everyone gets disappointed somewhere. Either way, I must be straight: I am sorry if I offended you, in particular (not just you, though).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I was aware of that. I wasn't trying to have authority. I was just suggesting out of concern. Don't get me mixed up. What made you think this was about having authority, anyway?
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying you're doing this out of authority. Just that you can't tell people here what to do. They've made it very clear many times that they want to be left alone on the hype stuff and that they can handle being dissapointed due to overhyping. They don't want to hear it. If you were their parent or something you could decide it was something they need to hear and say it anyway. But as just a friend, you just have to respect the way they feel about it or they're just going to get annoyed with you.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm not trying to be mean here and I am sorry if I came out that way in my previous reply. I do believe you are telling us this with good intentions and you don't want us to be sad or angry if something we were expecting doesn't show up, and I appreciate the concern. Its just that, like I said, lowering expectations just isn't fun. Nintendo Directs are meant to be hype and I am sure that since most of everyone here are over the age of consent, we will act like adults and move on. I will say, their have been times I've overhyped something and ended up getting disappointed, but I moved on from that and I never let that bother me, and I have no doubt in my mind this July Direct will be no different. If this Direct ends up being disappointing, I will move on just like other past disappointing Directs. I just feel their is no sense being disappointed about this for my entire life.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying you're doing this out of authority. Just that you can't tell people here what to do. They've made it very clear many times that they want to be left alone on the hype stuff and that they can handle being dissapointed due to overhyping. They don't want to hear it. If you were their parent or something you could decide it was something they need to hear and say it anyway. But as just a friend, you just have to respect the way they feel about it or they're just going to get annoyed with you.
I don't need this. You still have me wrong. Like I said, I was just suggesting. That is different from telling others what to do.

Now leave me alone, please. I do not wish to take any more of this.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I still think the contrast between the general discussion thread describing this place like it's the Church of Scientology of the Smash community vs. the reality of it being a bunch memeposting and talks about bonus characters is quite amusing.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Don't get me wrong, I do think most of these "hype police" posts are written with good intentions and are harmless in the long run, as I said. They're just mildly bothersome to me and I think they're overdone. That said, I'm not trying to shut down anyone with legitimate concern from warning others though. Maybe they can even help someone who really needs it, but you know, it's hard to ignore that they annoy a lot of people.

I wasn't referring to you specifically. Like I said, calling it out is fine. It's just that some were saying the intentions are suspicious or calling it "concern trolling" and I wanted to clear that up.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hope about we drop the whole "Hype responsibly" and "Don't tell me what to do, Ma" back and forth please? Everyone that has said something has the best intentions for others.

So ya know, let's be good to one another

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not trying to be mean here and I am sorry if I came out that way in my previous reply. I do believe you are telling us this with good intentions and you don't want us to be sad or angry if something we were expecting doesn't show up, and I appreciate the concern. Its just that, like I said, lowering expectations just isn't fun. Nintendo Directs are meant to be hype and I am sure that since most of everyone here are over the age of consent, we will act like adults and move on. I will say, their have been times I've overhyped something and ended up getting disappointed, but I moved on from that and I never let that bother me, and I have no doubt in my mind this July Direct will be no different. If this Direct ends up being disappointing, I will move on just like other past disappointing Directs. I just feel their is no sense being disappointed about this for my entire life.
First off, I already said to Malo that I am aware that, but maybe forgot that not everyone is like that in the sense that they don't necessarily get disappointed in the end. I guess I was hung up on the whole thing. That said, I am sorry if I offended you by grouping you with others who may, well, you know.

I also should mention that we do move on even if we did get disappointed. We are mostly adults after all, right?

Still, while you can disagree with this, I don't think Geno is as likely to be next as some may think. I can't say I think he is not in next, but it could go either way, you know what I mean?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
First off, I already said to Malo that I am aware that, but maybe forgot that not everyone is like that in the sense that they don't necessarily get disappointed in the end. I guess I was hung up on the whole thing. That said, I am sorry if I offended you by grouping you with others who may, well, you know.

I also should mention that we do move on even if we did get disappointed. We are mostly adults after all, right?

Still, while you can disagree with this, I don't think Geno is as likely to be next as some may think. I can't say I think he is not in next, but it could go either way, you know what I mean?
Fair enough and I completely understand. I guess its okay to have some doubt because I'm gonna be honest, even I have slight doubt in my mind for Geno's chances, even if I am mostly confident in him.

I'm not offended so don't worry. I'm just basically giving out my point of view on this topic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , based on your information/logic and reasoning, what would you say are your current chances/percentages of likelyhood of the characters you're speculating on? At least for Geno, I'm still 75% sure he's going to be playable and not Mii Costumed again

axel_

Smash Journeyman
>There's a new PapaGenos video
>it's another "Papa insists on Geno as a """premium""" Mii costume" episode
1594782300764.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 278460
Yeah I really have no idea why he isn't more confident in his chances. Did he like, forget the things going in Geno's favor?

I love Papa and all, but I'm getting so tired of him bringing that up because at this point, its becoming annoying.

D

Deleted member

PapGenos did insist as a possibility though. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is doing this since he doesn’t want show his viewers too much bias or perhaps wants to have his expectations low. He definitely has faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
PapGenos did insist as a possibility though. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is doing this since he doesn’t want show his viewers too much bias or perhaps have his expectations low.
Makes sense, though I wonder how that would affect his hype if Geno gets in, considering what Enigma735 Enigma735 said about lowering expectations not being that fun?

Droodle

Smash Lord
The key thing (and not just here, but literally everywhere), isn't "hype responsibly", it's "don't be a toxic person if you don't get what you want". Hype yourself through the roof if you feel like it, but in the end if you're upset; don't create content where you literally rant about how Nintendo "failed" or how DLC 7+ sucks and Fighters Pass 2 is a waste of money.

That's not to say that you can't be disappointed by the upcoming direct/DLC, just that there is a difference between saying "I'm underwhelmed/disappointed" and "Holy ****, this f***** sucks. Nintendo made us wait a year for this and it's not something I want."

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
View attachment 278460
yeah, dude this video is literally HIS PAST VIDEO, July 20th Rumors, Smash DLC7 speculations, Waluigi's birthday, suggesting geno, waluigi and paper mario, talking about how he would like to get waluigi or paper mario or the geno premium mii costume with forest maze and that is. I have feel that since cup head he has lost a lot of hope

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think he overcompensates because he is so afraid of seeming like he has any Geno bias. Until recently he basically never even acknowledged Geno had a real shot
I feel it is this as well as just not being the "Crazy Geno guy" on YouTube.

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice this may be my first time asking this, but would you kindly message me? I have something to ask privately. (If you would humor me)

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I just really hope that Papa is just bringing up the premium outfit of Geno because he doesn't wanna come off as bias, because if he really thinks that is the most likely scenario for Geno, then that is just extremely disheartening.

I really do feel like he will be in for a surprise if that is the case, because honestly, Geno seems like one of the most likely characters rn imo

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just really hope that Papa is just bringing up the premium outfit of Geno because he doesn't wanna come off as bias, because if he really thinks that is the most likely scenario for Geno, then that is just extremely disheartening.

I really do feel like he will be in for a surprise if that is the case, because honestly, Geno seems like one of the most likely characters rn imo
That is a strong possibility there. Or he could be just acknowledging both possibilities.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I watched the video and it’s honestly a little ridiculous that some think that he’s trying to downplay Geno’s chances, he’s obviously of the mind that Geno will be in the game in some form or fashion besides a spirit. Obviously preferred playable but AT THE LEAST a costume

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
View attachment 278460
I think it's due to the state of the general Smash community at this point. He has to appease them so much with his speculation that he goes on wild speculation tangents to fit whatever flavor of the week theory the speculation community is currently coked up on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom