• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, I guess that third party property might actually end up being a sequel to River City Girls.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm, I guess that third party property might actually end up being a sequel to River City Girls.
The tweet said it was a new franchise for Wayforward, so a River City Girls sequel doesn't fit that description

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
My guess is Double Dragon, so sort of a River City Girls sequel but also a franchise they haven’t done before

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
While being promotional isn´t anything new for other series too (11 for Dragon Quest on Switch), Joker sort of promoting Persona 5R and 5S. Bayonetta for Bayonetta 2. I agree 100% that Fire Emblem is misrepresented (Fire Emblem is my favorite game franchise of all time)The series is more than just "red/blue haired swordsmen like Robin, Byleth and (for better or worse) Corrin.

Tikki (last time I checked, even the Japanese fans of Fire Emblem were not that much of a fan of Marth and still somewhat ain´t)
Roy (concidering Intelligent System wanted to push Fire Emblem 6)
Black Knight
Robin
Azura (concidering we probably would have gotten a Fates rep no matter what)
Byleth

Would have been a better blend and representation. Yes, Black Knight is another swordsman, but he is a villain. He should have ended up in the game before Chrom in the first place. Sure, Awakening pretty much saved the franchise, but it would have been perfectly well with just Robin (and I say that as a massive Lucina fan)
>Keeping Roy in an hypothetical FE roster.

I tip my hat to you sir. The only FE character i actually enjoy.

I knew it. Guys, check Twitter. Freakin' WARIO LAND is trending. After the surprise announcement of the Nintendo Treehouse livestream for tomorrow, people know what they want.
Please Wayfoward. I beg you.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Here's an idea for what Wayforward's game could be: Its another game kinda like Cadence Of Hyrule, where Nintendo crosses over with an indie developer. It would be absolutely amazing if say, Mario Or Kirby crossed-over with Shantae.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
The fact that we've getting a Treehouse outta nowhere just for Origami King shows to me that that they're able to do this on a greater scale, maybe even for the July 20th event. E3 HYPE!
I was wondering when they were gonna report on it. Still I would still take GameXplain with a grain of salt since they have covered the fake Sm4sh Rayman leak, and they were actually convinced it was real.
They changed a lot since this video, which was 5 years ago: I don't think there was a single 2020 rumor that they reported so far that was fake.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So speaking of WayForward and Wario Land guys, both Shantae and Wario have lady pirate rivals both being Risky Boots and Captain Syrup. Risky reminds me of of Captain Syrup so much it wouldn't surprise me if Risky's character was hugely influenced off of Syrup.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
So speaking of WayForward and Wario Land guys, both Shantae and Wario have lady pirate rivals both being Risky Boots and Captain Syrup. Risky reminds me of of Captain Syrup so much it wouldn't surprise me if Risky's character was hugely influenced off of Syrup.
I think you are on to something... could it be a Wario Land and Shantae crossover game?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
What are yall doing in 11 days???
Online summer class. Very fun stuff
Okay, it appears the messages were legitimate. Still, I don't think we should worry too much, there's more going on in Geno's favor right now and Waluigi, if he does happen, won't be in this pass.
Geno will most likely happen first out of the 2 in my opinion. I always go back to the leaked Mii Costume list. Smithy and Mallow getting leaked as costumes but not Geno always made me feel he was super likely. It doesn't make sense to me that they would make like 2-3 costumes over a game that is barely referenced in Smash unless they were planning on adding a character from said game as a playable fighter. So yeah, Geno first, Waluigi next if he is also happening

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would definitely trust Wayforward with a Nintendo franchise. The one I would be most interested in them working on? A 2D Kid Icarus. Same type of gameplay, same types of monsters, and even same type of humor as Shantae and I would love to see what the Shantae team could do with the property.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Okay, it appears the messages were legitimate. Still, I don't think we should worry too much, there's more going on in Geno's favor right now and Waluigi, if he does happen, won't be in this pass.
genos more likely to happen simply because waluigi’ an assist trophy.

I’m not saying assist trophies can’t be playable but tbf you can’t really promote an assist trophy without saying “we’re promoting assist trophies” and that would make everyone go insane and expect more.

The only assist trophy you could get away with promoting without having to say “assist trophies can now become playable” is shadow because you can use the sonic forces excuse and say the shadow assist trophy was a clone from forces.

and tbh it would feel a let down to most people if the first assist trophy to be promoted was a character who struggles for moveset potential when there’s tons off assist trophies with moveset potential who have the fan demand with them as well.

not hating on waluigi as I wouldn’t mind him and would be happy if we got him, there’s just some strong arguements that can said.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
It's third party.

Square Enix is third party.

Super Mario RPG was developed by Square Enix.

Many Super Mario RPG characters owned by Square Enix.

Haha just kidding. Unless...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would definitely trust Wayforward with a Nintendo franchise. The one I would be most interested in them working on? A 2D Kid Icarus. Same type of gameplay, same types of monsters, and even same type of humor as Shantae and I would love to see what the Shantae team could do with the property.
Would love to see this. Kid Icarus feels like it would jive so well with the Shantae format.

Hopefully with Nintendo choosing to highlight whatever this game is, maybe they will eventually lend WayForward a property to make a game with. Clearly they have their eyes on WayForward.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
They changed a lot since this video, which was 5 years ago: I don't think there was a single 2020 rumor that they reported so far that was fake.
I think they talked about the fake Flipnote Studio Switch leak in the past, however, it could be possible they do have a source stating Flipnote is coming to the Switch, but they were just bringing attention to the wrong leak.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What if the TH event with Oragami King is the rumored direct, and this whole scenario is just a scene of "broken telephone" so to speak? Broken telephone information for leakers has happened before after all. It would go in line with the whole "Mario focused" comment too.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What if the TH event with Oragami King is the rumored direct, and this whole scenario is just a scene of "broken telephone" so to speak? Broken telephone information for leakers has happened before after all. It would go in line with the whole "Mario focused" comment.
The direct was said to be on July 20th though. I guess we'll know when that day comes and there's nothing.

Though I don't remember the insiders specifically saying it would be Mario focused.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The direct was said to be on July 20th though. I guess we'll know when that day comes and there's nothing.
Weren´t July 20th speculation or is it a "confirmed" date by the leakers. Either way. Leakers talk about a direct, a couple of days BEFORE they announce this off all things, and apparently (where it Papa Genos that said it?) we are getting a Mario focused "direct" focusing on Mario... And what do TH do? Focusing on the next Paper Mario. And if the WayForward part is "spoiled", some could easily if that´s the only thing they have heard of together with the PMTOK, assume that it is a direct and spill the bean to person X.

I´m just spitballing here because it is either a coincidence or broken telephone in my book so to speak. The timing is just perfect for the latter though.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Something I picked-up on after learning of the Treehouse Live stream announcement is that, typically the Treehouse has had these type of streams around E3 events, SPECIFICALLY before or after an E3 Nintendo Direct. Could tomorrow's stream be the red carpet for the rumored July Direct?

Another thing I realized is that, it strikes me a bit odd that they'd do a stream on Paper Mario: The Origami King when today, we had
  • GameXplain upload 4 videos talking about PM:TOK (one about the game's intro, another lengthy one going over various features of the game, and two others going over even more stuff)
  • Nintendo already uploaded a video of approximately 9 minutes of the duo from Nintendo Minute talking about their experience playing the game
The fact that they're doing a stream showcasing the game tomorrow tells me that they're pushing this game pretty hard and that right there... concerns me. Regardless though, the timing of the stream's schedule and recent Direct rumors do lift my hopes for a nice big news dump soon (maybe next week or the one after). Heck... imagine them announcing WHEN the rumored Direct will go live.

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
What if the TH event with Oragami King is the rumored direct, and this whole scenario is just a scene of "broken telephone" so to speak? Broken telephone information for leakers has happened before after all. It would go in line with the whole "Mario focused" comment too.
I'm not going to wade through the entire ResetEra thread, but apparently Kelios said that the two are unrelated.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Weren´t July 20th speculation or is it a "confirmed" date by the leakers. Either way. Leakers talk about a direct, a couple of days BEFORE they announce this off all things, and apparently (where it Papa Genos that said it?) we are getting a Mario focused "direct" focusing on Mario... And what do TH do? Focusing on the next Paper Mario. And if the WayForward part is "spoiled", some could easily if that´s the only thing they have heard of together with the PMTOK, assume that it is a direct and spill the bean to person X.

I´m just spitballing here because it is either a coincidence or broken telephone in my book so to speak. The timing is just perfect for the latter though.
Kelios had this to say, probably expecting that people would have this line of thought:
He also mentions in the sequence how only NOA tweeted about it. He's also French, so the rumors may not even come from the same place to begin with.
I believe him on his info, because nobody guesses a Mini Direct 45 days before it happens (it was even days before the Animal Crossing Direct happened, which is even crazier)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Kelios had this to say, probably expecting that people would have this line of thought:
He also mentions in the sequence how only NOA tweeted about it. He's also French, so the rumors may not even come from the same place to begin with.
I believe him on his info, because nobody guesses a Mini Direct 45 days before it happens (it was even days before the Animal Crossing Direct happened, which is even crazier)
Like I said. I was just spitballing.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I can't believe I had hope for a new Wario Land game for about 10 seconds before seeing the "third party franchise" tweet. Whatever. Couple things to address.

• July 20th seems really likely at this point. Gamexplain addressing it puts it past the line of "sounds about right" to "probably the real deal". Nintendo isn't going to wait that much longer to reveal their original E3-lineup and their upcoming games, we still know NOTHING about what's happenning past Origami King, it's looking like 10 month news drought might finally be over.
  • Speaking of that, can we not worry about them adding Paper Mario instead? Seriously, this is literally their second big release this year, of course they are going to try and drum up hype around it (even if it still just seems to be a slightly better Color Splash). Do you really think Nintendo sat down a year ago and decided to add Paper Mario to promote this game? That they felt a MARIO GAME needed promotion in Smash with a character instead of some other game later down the line? I doubt it.
  • This kinda got swept aside due to it not getting announced on Twitter for whatever reason, but Octopath Traveler spirits. Neat. More importantly though, it's another Square IP, and unlike Mana, one that isn't coinciding with a super recent release. Sure it's still a Switch game, but this is Square we are talking about. You know, the company that gave Cloud 2 songs and zero spirits, who was the hardest to get dragged back into Ultimate? That Square? The fact that they seem to have negotiated for multiple Spirit events makes it really seem like they aren't done with Smash yet huh? ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don’t see Nintendo adding a SHSW rep, King Boo, and Paper Mario for promotional picks. Pushing Fire Emblem is one thing, but Mario and Pokémon really don’t need Smash to promote a game. They are two highest grossing media and video game franchises of all time. These games always sell well. With that, Nintendo should be confident that the marketing team alone should make the games sell well. I mean, why not push the Astral Chain IP instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if the Wayfoward game will probably be a unrelated new IP that is nothing to write home about and people are just hyping themselves for dissapointment.

Well except maybe the horny artists. They seem to get a kick out of anything wayfoward-related.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I really don’t see Nintendo adding a SHSW rep, King Boo, and Paper Mario for promotional picks. Pushing Fire Emblem is one thing, but Mario and Pokémon really don’t need Smash to promote a game. They are two highest grossing media and video game franchises of all time. These games always sell well. With that, Nintendo should be confident that the marketing team alone should make the games sell well. I mean, why not push the Astral Chain IP instead?
If Geno and Akira Howard is in this fighterspass, I would scream in joy... I love Astral Chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom