• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
As for what's going on right now, I think a lot of people are thinking Geno or Waluigi because we're currently in a similar situation to last year where most of our thinking was shaped by certain parameters. "Oh, this source is hearing Crash? That must mean they're 5." That sort of thing. Sakurai is capable of breaking his own "rules" but we still get hung up on them. "There's only 5 spots left. Surely 2 of them wouldn't be Mario characters, right?" Like I've been saying for a couple of weeks now, I think there's cheeky shenanigans a foot.
I've speculated before that, since this Pass has six characters instead of just five, we might be seeing a double-dip of sorts, specifically two characters from one company... but what if we're also getting two characters from one franchise? That's at least one situation I can see where we end up getting both Starboy and Wahboy in the same Pass.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just woke up to find out about the Octopath Traveler spirits. I don't know why those weren't revealed at the normal time last night, but it's good to have new spirits, and it seems like a good sign that Square-Enix is getting more spirits in the game.

It shows that they're willing to cooperate (after seeming like the stingiest company involved in Smash), and the fact that both of the latest spirit events that added new spirits are Square-Enix ones seems unusual to me. (It could likely be a coincidence, though)

Here's hoping that it's a good sign for Geno.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Waluigi’s Taco Stand?
Geno’s Pizza?
Porky Robotics?
Isaac and Son’s Moving Company?
Crash N’ Burn Airlines?
Dixie Salon?

so many possibility....
Nintendo Business Simulator, where each day progresses fairly normally with doing paperwork, managing inventory, making deliveries, etc. but at the end of the day business competitors knock on the door and you have to physically fight them to keep your store open in town.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact the last two spirit events that had new spirits were Square Enix related is eyebrow raising to be sure. It certainly helps the likelyhood of one more Square owned character in this Fighter Pass

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Ridley's Flower Shop
Hmm, a particularly loud fanbase for a Snes Game. Not pokemon, Mario is well represented, Metroid is already online. Doubtful is f - Zero.
Would it be the fanbase that had a literal direct of fangames and fanremakes?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The fact the last two spirit events that had new spirits were Square Enix related is eyebrow raising to be sure. It certainly helps the likelyhood of one more Square owned character in this Fighter Pass
Now watch as the next several Spirit Events are just more Square Enix series getting shot down, in a countdown leading to Fighter 7 being a Square Enix character.

... I actually hope that doesn't happen, because speaking as someone who got burned by Astral Chain getting Spirit-ed in the lead up to Fighter 5, that would just really suck (mostly because Spirit Event deconfirmations suck, and waiting for a character reveal only for your most wanted to get the Spirit Event treatment just makes it suck even more).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I have a whopper of a theorycraft that I want to share later but I'm still getting ready for work. Things are clicking in my head and, for example, I don't think Imran Khan's words were literal about a mostly first party pass but I think there's potentially another meaning to his words. Plus, one thing I'll say real quick: the contact that told me about ARMS and another first party coming back in January? We had fights all the time about Waluigi because they heard somebody else and I'll get into that too. Again, cheeky shenanigans are surely afoot.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
DKC on the SNES NSO Library... and an OCTOPATH TRAVELER spirit event. The DKC announcement alone (notice those games will be added on July 15) gave me E3 vibes. It really does feel like the time is nigh.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, I woke up this morning and got amazing news that we are getting another Spirit Event from a Square Enix property. Thats pretty cool.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that we won't get another Square Enix character after the fact that Square is still sticking around for Smash after Hero. I also find it interesting that Square is willing to host Spirit Events, but not bring back two Mii Outfits from Sm4sh. Really makes you think... ;)

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I feel like theirs a really good chance that the person is referring to something about legacy xp. Papagenos mentions that the evidence could apply to some other characters, but both he and his source agreed that the other characters dont have much of a chance, aka shadow and metal sonic.
This is an interesting idea but I don't see how it would imply the possibility of BOTH Geno and Waluigi which Papa acknowledged pretty clearly as a possibility. Definitely outside the box thinking though and I wonder if it is connected somehow like maybe multiple factors adding up to a big evidence pile for potentially either or both characters to get content of some kind. Also, this makes sense since it pretty explicitly implies something with Smash which wouldn't necessarily be the case with stuff just in regards to Mario.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
E3 reveals being Geno and Dixie would be perfect.
I would faint if those two are the next two characters. My 3rd most wanted Dixie Kong and 9th most wanted Geno.

View attachment 277664
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice you're saying 3 NES titles will get announcements that follow them, right? Given everything I've seen so far, here's what I'm speculating only based on everything I've seen in this thread so far:

1. New Donkey Game after DKC3 gets ported/ Dixie Kong for Smash

2. New Earthbound Game after all earthbound games are ported / Porky for Smash

3. Remake of SMRPG (kinda doubt this part at least) / Geno for Smash (if what you said is true, this is basically guaranteed at this point)

Overall would be a solid FP, that is if all of them are tied to Smash like that, which I doubt since I still think at least half will be 3rd party. Still, pretty rockin' FP if this is what they're going for. Again, this is just my speculation.
OMG!!! Geno, Dixie Kong, and Porky all in FP2? I think I would die happy.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is an interesting idea but I don't see how it would imply the possibility of BOTH Geno and Waluigi which Papa acknowledged pretty clearly as a possibility. Definitely outside the box thinking though and I wonder if it is connected somehow like maybe multiple factors adding up to a big evidence pile for potentially either or both characters to get content of some kind. Also, this makes sense since it pretty explicitly implies something with Smash which wouldn't necessarily be the case with stuff just in regards to Mario.
They did not pull Legacy XP down with Riddley, which begs the question of why they would put it down if Waluigi would be added. Then we also have Geno, but Square could just have asked Nintendo for it because they want to use him for something that is not necessarily Smash Brothers (remake of SMRPG?) or they just suddenly want to do a Nintendo and go berserk on every little fanproject

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Legacy XP “take down” is still suspicious no matter how you look at it. That’s my overall view for it. But for fun thing to consider is IF it relates to Geno, it is a third party character that Nintendo does not own and has to “pay” for in licensing with Square and doesn’t want anything to “compete” for it. It’s a stretch and I don’t fully believe it ... but that’s at least a reason why Legacy wasn’t pulled for Ridley, a Nintendo owned character and Geno, a third party character that they don’t own and have to “pay for.”

this also kinda goes with the music takedowns, not just Geno related, but banjo and sans stuff. Nintendo stepped in to take stuff down since “hey, we’ve paid for these, non free lunches y’all.”

come on direct or mini direct or something to reveal the next fighter.

I know people can say, understandably, is “you just got a full character reveal and release, be content.” ... but we’ve been sitting with knowing it was an ARMS fighter for months, so it’s at least different circumstances.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Legacy XP “take down” is still suspicious no matter how you look at it. That’s my overall view for it. But for fun thing to consider is IF it relates to Geno, it is a third party character that Nintendo does not own and has to “pay” for in licensing with Square and doesn’t want anything to “compete” for it. It’s a stretch and I don’t fully believe it ... but that’s at least a reason why Legacy wasn’t pulled for Ridley, a Nintendo owned character and Geno, a third party character that they don’t own and have to “pay for.”

this also kinda goes with the music takedowns, not just Geno related, but banjo and sans stuff. Nintendo stepped in to take stuff down since “hey, we’ve paid for these, non free lunches y’all.”

I know people can say, understandably, is “you just got a full character reveal and release, be content.” ... but we’ve been sitting with knowing it was an ARMS fighter for months, so it’s at least different circumstances.
You know, that one has me thinking.

Final Fantasy's licensing rights are all over the place, that's why we barely have any content. Dragon Quest, while an upgrade, is still not much considering Nintendo had to put up with Sugiyama sending the MIDI tracks instead of the orchestral tracks, maybe having to pay Akira Toriyama so they can use the art they used, etc.

Geno, I feel, should feel relatively affordable to pay for compared to these two franchises because, 1) Geno debuted in a third-party game that was published by Nintendo, his last appearance being a cameo in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. A thing to note with this is that unlike Banjo & Kazooie, Geno was never first-party, to begin with. He's a third-party character that just so happened to debut in a Mario game. 2) Super Mario RPG's staff has a significant tie to Smash, with Yoko Shimamura contributing much to Smash as is.

Bottom line? Super Mario RPG should be the most bountiful in terms of Square property content.

Last edited:

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
Also you'd think they would have more lined up since there should have been announcements for E3.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I’m leaning towards it being the Legacy XP takedown due to Papa mentioning a few other characters who could fit the bill but are just very unlikely. The other characters in Legacy besides Geno and Waluigi are Metal Sonic and Shadow, right? Not saying it can’t happen, but I seriously doubt Sonic is getting a DLC character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Obviously, there's a lot to talk about so I'll try to break it up into sections:

Chapter One: Mii Costume Guy and his In-Between

Once again, I'll share this message I got from January:

Screenshot_20200404-200336~2.png

I bring this up yet again because I not only blew him off about ARMS but getting 2 first party characters in Season 2. I'm still pretty set on Waluigi and it's something we fought over. Everyone and their grandma has heard Waluigi at some point since 2018 but he not only heard ARMS but somebody else that he never shared with me. Again, note the proximity with Crash. Their theory heavily implies that ARMS, this mysterious first party character, and Crash would be announced fairly close to one another. Like I've shared in the past, this differs from Mii Costume Guy.

Mii Costume Guy heavily implied ONE pack from the following companies: Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, Square, and Microsoft. Mii Costume Guy's costume dumps strangely only had one true first party character and that was Gooigi, yet another reason I've stuck to my Waluigi theory. As you all know, we did get a Nintendo pack but it was ARMS and Gooigi and one of his heavily implied secret costumes wasn't in it. What does this mean? It means we're very likely to get more first party content but possibly not in the way we expect.

Chapter Two: Imran Khan

Recently Imran Khan made some interesting statements concerning Season 2 which can be found here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1275067203847483403

A lot of people took it literally but I don't think he's being absolutely literal and I'll explain why. I do agree with him, following a third party pass with a first party pass would be a good but I don't think that's what's going to happen in an absolute sense. Note how he talks about the importance of promotion and marketing first party franchise and one thing that's currently staring us in the face is that we have no idea what Nintendo's 2020 plans are. Promoting first parties through Smash seems like a no brainer but there's different ways to do that.

One thing I noticed is that, yes, the Fighter's Pass is overwhelmingly third party. There's one Mii costume that's a bonus, one Pokemon costume, a spirit board, and two characters. Everything else was third party. Damn. It's pretty heavy handed. This is notable because DLC with Smash 4 was a lot more balanced. 4 characters that are technically first party, 3 third party and a fairly even mixture of first and third party stages and costumes. The Fighter's Pass was almost a complete wash of third party content. What's interesting about this is that, going off Mii Costume Guy's costume list, almost all of them are third party or indie. What's happening? We're potentially getting two different narratives.

Mii Costume Guy mostly heard third party content and potentially only one first party character while his in-between not only heard two first party characters but Crash as well. What does this potentially tell us? If a first party character is attached to Crash, couldn't another a first party character be attached to one of Mii Costume Guy's remaining four third party companies: Namco, Square, Capcom, and Microsoft? The answer is yes and, based on logical deduction, we have a fairly good idea which. Heihachi came with ARMS so suggests that the pairing isn't Nintendo and Namco and, in the event Namco gets a rep, it will just be the Namco rep. This is especially eye opening because this then leaves four companies between Mii Costume Guy and his In-between: Square Enix, Capcom, Microsoft, and Activision. Why does this sound familiar? Are you sure you're ready for it?

Chapter Three: Bonus Characters? In my Smash? It May Be More Likely Than You Think.

In January 2019, there were 16 dummy slots found in Ultimate's data that were quickly pulled when the public caught on to it. The Fighter's Pass was essentially 6 characters and Season 2 is also 6. This gives us 12 with 4 leftovers. Note the previous chapter. Our current theory pairs four of these characters to four of the full packs.

Leftover 1 with Square
Leftover 2 with Activision
Leftover 3 with Capcom
Leftover 4 with Microsoft

Obviously, the ARMs pack didn't get a bonus character and we've currently theorized that a Namco wouldn't either. Seems kind of self explanatory why: doubling up on bonus characters for a Nintendo pack would be weird and Namco probably just wants to flex its stuff for helping with Smash since 2012.

What's fascinating about this is that it fits into my long standing theory that, if we were to get bonus characters, they would probably be first party and there would likely be ONE third party exception. In this model, if Microsoft really is last/11, giving them the only bonus third party character (my theory is Sora) as a final grand hurrah makes a ton of sense. This also means that the other three will potentially pair with their third party counterparts. Geno and Waluigi seems like pretty conclusive pairing based on this model. Now, you may be thinking, "Fatman, what are you saying?" Here's the main takeaway...

-There will be 6 full packs: character, music, stage, spirit board, Mii costumes

-There will be 4 smaller packs: character, music, stage, maybe 2 or 3 Mii costumes

1 full first party pack but potentially as many as 4 Nintendo "mini packs" so that Nintendo can cash in more on DLC too while promoting their own IPs.

Let's talk about some of the things that have come up recently that support this:

Chapter Four: The Stage Select Screen Expands

Push Dustin recently brought this to our attention:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1277862787503452160

When you add the custom stage button, it adds a new row of 11 with 10 places to fill. "But Fatman, there's only 5 packs left!" Let's add the 4 hypothetical bonus characters, we now have 9 out of the 10. Do I believe there will be a super secret 20th stage? Probably not. The 10th is pretty simple: the random button. 9 more stages is definitely plausible under this model. Moving on...

Chapter Five: The Case of the Missing Amiibo

I went into this the other day and this can be found here:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2883#post-23991167

Here's the list of unrereleased Smash Amiibo at this time:

Luigi, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Villager, Dark Pit, ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, the Miis, Peach, Yoshi, DK, Falco, Lucas, Ryu, Palutena, Pit, and Corrin

Luigi and Ryu are slated for September which means the rest of the list is strictly first party. Some notable things about this:

-Lucas and Ness haven't been rereleased.

-Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach haven't been rereleased despite being registered for rerelease in 2018.

-Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena haven't been rereleased.

-DK and Diddy haven't been rereleased.

-None of the retros and none of the Miis have been released.

Chances are Nintendo is waiting for certain game releases or even Smash characters to release certain Amiibo. For example, Falco will probably come with Banjo and Kazooie because "Durr hurr Burds" and Corrin's likely coming with Byleth. Now, this is where things get interesting because, if we throw the 4 potential first party bonus characters into the mix, we have a pool of franchises that these characters will likely come from: Mario, DK, Mother, Kid Icarus, and "Retro." Like I said, this creates the hypothesis that these Amiibo will be tied to future announcements somehow but it's not clear how just yet but I would highly recommend keeping an eye on all of this.

I've already said a lot so I'll continue this in another post analyzing the first party franchises that could potentially be getting bonus characters.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I just noticed something reading up on the new Octopath Traveler spirit event. The event will run from July 10th to the 15th. Hmm... DKC (and two other games) will be added to the NSO Library on July 15th. Both occurring a day after July 14th. The 15th is a Wednesday.

[insert "Hmm... really makes you think" meme here]

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Hey y’all, in papagenos discord, he was talking about a source he was talking with. Here’s a doc with the screen grabs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d_4uuic2xo8bZhwzJkmZtQfWFent4x8erWdd2KPqrNM/mobilebasic

To cut and paste the tldr:
Papa was told info from someone extremely credible that points to multiple characters for Smash being a lot more likely (this does not mean they’re outright confirmed, but still a lot more likely) than he previously thought, but out of those characters Geno and Waluigi make the most sense. However it doesn’t have to lead to a full on fighter, but it’s likely it does. Both or even neither could end up being playable. He can not tell us what the piece of info is exactly, so you wouldn’t gain anything by pressing him for more info.
My guess is that it may have to do with Legacy XP. He may have been told more info on why the mod was shut down. That's the only thing I can think of currently that would boost specifically Waluigi and Geno's chances w/o fully suggesting they are playable

Heoj

Smash Ace
Saw some people wondering why Nintendo didnt take legacy xp down to prepare for ridley, im guessing its a combination of two things, 1. Geno is a third party and 2. Geno would be a dlc fighter. So maybe Nintendo were fine with ridley being there since they werent sellimg ridley individually

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think the Legacy XP stuff adds up much, because there were many other new characters in that game aside from Geno that could get that same reasoning for their inclusion. Although, Geno still has stuff going for him aside from that, so that's cool.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Obviously, there's a lot to talk about so I'll try to break it up into sections: ...

[CUT FOR BREVITY]
My god Fatman, you're getting galaxy-brained, aren't ya? I love it. I would also absolutely love if we got more characters (such as a Nintendo character pass after Vol. 2), but... don't you think that's a bit optimistic? I mean sure, Sakurai can always work on more, but (and at the risk of this being screen-capped and me looking like an absolute idiot) I feel like Vol. 2 could potentially be the last. I mean I'll just think that until Sakurai says otherwise, since this wave of DLC is already taking a really long time and I don't know how much longer Nintendo will go for. Now yes, Sakurai already said he will continue working on Smash if asked and Nintendo obviously likes money, but Nintendo doesn't always do the logical/profitable thing, now do they? Also would they already have 4 Nintendo characters in mind after Vol. 2 even though we are still really early in this wave of DLC? Sure, they obviously could and I'm just going off of assumptions as well, but Vol. 2 wasn't decided on until like halfway through the first wave I'm pretty sure. Again, I'd love more characters, but this does seem a little too good to be true (though to be fair, a lot of Ultimate feels that way).

(Also good post you made in the Waluigi thread. I definitely thinks something is up with him.)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My only doubts with a Fighter Pass 3 is how COVID is affecting the team and Nintendo as a whole. Sakurai's wording at the end of the ARMS direct made it seem like this was the last group ot characters that we were getting. Personally I am happy he promised to deliver on FP2. Anything after that seems either up in the air or unlikely at this rate. So it's all or nothing for Geno now.

Regarding the Waluigi thing, we may never know what kind of evidence PapaGenos received. In fact, the idea that it sounds like an either or concerns me over the idea of Nintendo choosing Waluigi over Geno. As of a few weeks of memes undermine almost 20 years of support for a character who doesn't get a chance to appear in anything any more. That in itself seems a bit unfortunate. I have to wonder how Waluigi as DLC would specifically work (stage, spirits etc)

Part of me feels like Geno has more potential to bring unique content into Ultimate/a fighter's pass but I also don't want it to sound like I am writing off Waluigi or making new fan rules at this time. Surely they can put something together for him but the question is what kind of spirits they have not used yet? Either way, more Mario stuff is always nice. I just hope it's means we could actually be getting Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Was it not all talk about 1 bonus character? If we get four more, they might as well do a third fighters pass.
Since January I've entertained at least two and this just expands the model to the full four before the game ****s itself and dies. Like I said, new things coming to light since January suggests that bonus aren't nearly as far fetched as people would expect.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice just wrote about the theory of "mini-packs" and that extra content coming to the game could actually fix a lot of questions I was having with the DLC based on what we know so far, such as:
  • The December 2021 deadline not lining up with production
  • Big characters that I believe Nintendo is interested in putting into the game no matter what, but making them a pack would be a weird value proposition (Waluigi and Sora by himself).
  • Character Slots being hard-coded into the game since January 2019
  • My uncertainty between Namco and Capcom getting a pack, when there's signs of both having one because of missing Mii Costumes (Namco) and easy leaks (Capcom)
  • The context around Rex and Pyra and why I consider them the next 1st party pick to happen
  • The rumblings about Waluigi never dying ever since base game
  • Some spirits events that should already happened by now (example: Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition to a lesser degree)

I'm not making this one of my official predictions, but If I we're to adjust this idea to them, I would put it like this:
  • Full Packs: Geno, Crash, Lyoid, Dante, Master Chief
  • Mini Packs: Waluigi, Rex and Pyra, Isaac and Sora

Though I'm kinda on the edge on the proposed format for them:
  • That screenshot that PushDustin showed is from the Random Stage Toggling in the Rulesets, not the actual Stage Select Screen. When adding the ARMS stage, they still keep the same layout as before + Custom Stages are another in a separate tab. As such, we can't use this as layout evidence for the SSS. HOWEVER, if instead of adding a new line, we add a new column, you get 9 more stages + random button in the normal select screen. In that sense, both layouts would fit perfectly with no issues in their respective functions. At the end of the day, we need to wait and see how the next pack actually changes the SSS to draw more definitive conclusions.
  • Music will probably be in a smaller amount for these characters, considering how they are either already represented in Smash, so I could see this happening.
  • The way that they changed the layout of the DLC spirits menu: I was expecting them to put a scrolling page for the new ones, but the fact that they put them all on the same screen shows to me that they only plan 6 more DLC spirit boards during the timeframe of Season 2, so this puts a wrench in the idea of Spirit Boards coming with them (Though I have a counteridea for that).
  • Why divide Mii Fighter Packs between characters when they are already separate by nature from the Fighter Pass? The only thing I see is bigger Mii Fighter Packs, not extra ones.
  • And there's still more questions that this generates. The reason I believed in the idea of Bonus Fighters is Sora only coming with himself and no other KH content: If so, then why would he be a mini-pack and not a full one? What makes a mini pack different than a full pack if it has all of the same contents? Why would they all come alongside Season 2 and not be part of a Season 3? If they were coming together anyways, why not advertise it as such? Are they free bonuses? If so, why Sora is here when they could get a lot more money if he's a paid DLC? If it's paid, why release it while Season 2 is happening? So on and so forth...
Here's what I propose as a counter idea: What if we're getting a "World of Light/single-player content expansion" to Smash Ultimate and this supposed mini packs are the meat of it? Imagine Sora being the main character fighting against all of the different spirits in Smash: Mushroom Kingdom Hearts confirmed! I considered it unlikely, but I said the same thing about Splatoon 2 and got blindsided with the Octo Expansion. I don't expect these packs to come for free, neither I expect 2 Fighters Pass rolling at the same timeframe or a Season 3 happening. This would also go in line with what happened to some other recent fighting games, such as Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle and Mortal Kombat 11: both had DLC fighter packs during their lifespan, but ended with one last big hurrah with multiple characters and a big expansion to the game in a single DLC package, closing off their content support. The same can happen here.

What I can say with certainty and label as an official MrJudd(tm) prediction is this: There's something more to this story that we don't know about yet, and will be clearer to us in the months to follow.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Obviously, there's a lot to talk about so I'll try to break it up into sections:

Chapter One: Mii Costume Guy and his In-Between

Once again, I'll share this message I got from January:

View attachment 277694

I bring this up yet again because I not only blew him off about ARMS but getting 2 first party characters in Season 2. I'm still pretty set on Waluigi and it's something we fought over. Everyone and their grandma has heard Waluigi at some point since 2018 but he not only heard ARMS but somebody else that he never shared with me. Again, note the proximity with Crash. Their theory heavily implies that ARMS, this mysterious first party character, and Crash would be announced fairly close to one another. Like I've shared in the past, this differs from Mii Costume Guy.

Mii Costume Guy heavily implied ONE pack from the following companies: Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, Square, and Microsoft. Mii Costume Guy's costume dumps strangely only had one true first party character and that was Gooigi, yet another reason I've stuck to my Waluigi theory. As you all know, we did get a Nintendo pack but it was ARMS and Gooigi and one of his heavily implied secret costumes wasn't in it. What does this mean? It means we're very likely to get more first party content but possibly not in the way we expect.

Chapter Two: Imran Khan

Recently Imran Khan made some interesting statements concerning Season 2 which can be found here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1275067203847483403

A lot of people took it literally but I don't think he's being absolutely literal and I'll explain why. I do agree with him, following a third party pass with a first party pass would be a good but I don't think that's what's going to happen in an absolute sense. Note how he talks about the importance of promotion and marketing first party franchise and one thing that's currently staring us in the face is that we have no idea what Nintendo's 2020 plans are. Promoting first parties through Smash seems like a no brainer but there's different ways to do that.

One thing I noticed is that, yes, the Fighter's Pass is overwhelmingly third party. There's one Mii costume that's a bonus, one Pokemon costume, a spirit board, and two characters. Everything else was third party. Damn. It's pretty heavy handed. This is notable because DLC with Smash 4 was a lot more balanced. 4 characters that are technically first party, 3 third party and a fairly even mixture of first and third party stages and costumes. The Fighter's Pass was almost a complete wash of third party content. What's interesting about this is that, going off Mii Costume Guy's costume list, almost all of them are third party or indie. What's happening? We're potentially getting two different narratives.

Mii Costume Guy mostly heard third party content and potentially only one first party character while his in-between not only heard two first party characters but Crash as well. What does this potentially tell us? If a first party character is attached to Crash, couldn't another a first party character be attached to one of Mii Costume Guy's remaining four third party companies: Namco, Square, Capcom, and Microsoft? The answer is yes and, based on logical deduction, we have a fairly good idea which. Heihachi came with ARMS so suggests that the pairing isn't Nintendo and Namco and, in the event Namco gets a rep, it will just be the Namco rep. This is especially eye opening because this then leaves four companies between Mii Costume Guy and his In-between: Square Enix, Capcom, Microsoft, and Activision. Why does this sound familiar? Are you sure you're ready for it?

Chapter Three: Bonus Characters? In my Smash? It May Be More Likely Than You Think.

In January 2019, there were 16 dummy slots found in Ultimate's data that were quickly pulled when the public caught on to it. The Fighter's Pass was essentially 6 characters and Season 2 is also 6. This gives us 12 with 4 leftovers. Note the previous chapter. Our current theory pairs four of these characters to four of the full packs.

Leftover 1 with Square
Leftover 2 with Activision
Leftover 3 with Capcom
Leftover 4 with Microsoft

Obviously, the ARMs pack didn't get a bonus character and we've currently theorized that a Namco wouldn't either. Seems kind of self explanatory why: doubling up on bonus characters for a Nintendo pack would be weird and Namco probably just wants to flex its stuff for helping with Smash since 2012.

What's fascinating about this is that it fits into my long standing theory that, if we were to get bonus characters, they would probably be first party and there would likely be ONE third party exception. In this model, if Microsoft really is last/11, giving them the only bonus third party character (my theory is Sora) as a final grand hurrah makes a ton of sense. This also means that the other three will potentially pair with their third party counterparts. Geno and Waluigi seems like pretty conclusive pairing based on this model. Now, you may be thinking, "Fatman, what are you saying?" Here's the main takeaway...

-There will be 6 full packs: character, music, stage, spirit board, Mii costumes

-There will be 4 smaller packs: character, music, stage, maybe 2 or 3 Mii costumes

1 full first party pack but potentially as many as 4 Nintendo "mini packs" so that Nintendo can cash in more on DLC too while promoting their own IPs.

Let's talk about some of the things that have come up recently that support this:

Chapter Four: The Stage Select Screen Expands

Push Dustin recently brought this to our attention:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1277862787503452160

When you add the custom stage button, it adds a new row of 11 with 10 places to fill. "But Fatman, there's only 5 packs left!" Let's add the 4 hypothetical bonus characters, we now have 9 out of the 10. Do I believe there will be a super secret 20th stage? Probably not. The 10th is pretty simple: the random button. 9 more stages is definitely plausible under this model. Moving on...

Chapter Five: The Case of the Missing Amiibo

I went into this the other day and this can be found here:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2883#post-23991167

Here's the list of unrereleased Smash Amiibo at this time:

Luigi, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Villager, Dark Pit, ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, the Miis, Peach, Yoshi, DK, Falco, Lucas, Ryu, Palutena, Pit, and Corrin

Luigi and Ryu are slated for September which means the rest of the list is strictly first party. Some notable things about this:

-Lucas and Ness haven't been rereleased.

-Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach haven't been rereleased despite being registered for rerelease in 2018.

-Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena haven't been rereleased.

-DK and Diddy haven't been rereleased.

-None of the retros and none of the Miis have been released.

Chances are Nintendo is waiting for certain game releases or even Smash characters to release certain Amiibo. For example, Falco will probably come with Banjo and Kazooie because "Durr hurr Burds" and Corrin's likely coming with Byleth. Now, this is where things get interesting because, if we throw the 4 potential first party bonus characters into the mix, we have a pool of franchises that these characters will likely come from: Mario, DK, Mother, Kid Icarus, and "Retro." Like I said, this creates the hypothesis that these Amiibo will be tied to future announcements somehow but it's not clear how just yet but I would highly recommend keeping an eye on all of this.

I've already said a lot so I'll continue this in another post analyzing the first party franchises that could potentially be getting bonus characters.
Idk Fatman. I want to believe I really do but...I don't. It just doesn't seem to add up and is just too subjective. Who's to say Microsoft wouldn't be the special part of the pass opposed to Namco that doesn't come with a bonus like ARMS because it's freaking Microsoft. Who's to say if Sora happened as a bonus they'd be the only third party bonus? Who's to say we wouldn't get Spyro with Crash? Nightmare with Llyod? Etc. And you just said 4 bonus characters and listed Waluigi and Sora then listed retro, KI, Mother, and DK so that right there already isn't a pattern that adds up.

Also, it would be kind of disappointing to finally get Sora only for him to be a bonus character that likely comes with less content. It'd make more sense for a new franchise to get a full spot in the pass instead of be a bonus imo and I imagine Nintendo and Disney see it the same way unless for whatever reason that's the only way to get him in in which case something is better than nothing. I'll wait and see like always. I really hope you're right but I just can't envision this future you see.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey y’all, in papagenos discord, he was talking about a source he was talking with. Here’s a doc with the screen grabs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d_4uuic2xo8bZhwzJkmZtQfWFent4x8erWdd2KPqrNM/mobilebasic

To cut and paste the tldr:
Papa was told info from someone extremely credible that points to multiple characters for Smash being a lot more likely (this does not mean they’re outright confirmed, but still a lot more likely) than he previously thought, but out of those characters Geno and Waluigi make the most sense. However it doesn’t have to lead to a full on fighter, but it’s likely it does. Both or even neither could end up being playable. He can not tell us what the piece of info is exactly, so you wouldn’t gain anything by pressing him for more info.
Well, that's certainly... vague as ****. It's frustrating not being able to know what he's heard, but if it potentially points to Waluigi or Geno then... go off, I guess.

https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/ba812cd4/index.html?

A good one for you Geno fans (?), more square-enix spirits this week.
Gee, SquareEnix sure has been getting a lot of extra Spirits as of late. I wonder if this means anything? :ultkrool:

D

Deleted member

Idk Fatman. I want to believe I really do but...I don't. It just doesn't seem to add up and is just too subjective. Who's to say Microsoft wouldn't be the special part of the pass opposed to Namco that doesn't come with a bonus like ARMS because it's freaking Microsoft. Who's to say if Sora happened as a bonus they'd be the only third party bonus? Who's to say we wouldn't get Spyro with Crash? Nightmare with Llyod? Etc. And you just said 4 bonus characters and listed Waluigi and Sora then listed retro, KI, Mother, and DK so that right there already isn't a pattern that adds up.

Also, it would be kind of disappointing to finally get Sora only for him to be a bonus character that likely comes with less content. It'd make more sense for a new franchise to get a full spot in the pass instead of be a bonus imo and I imagine Nintendo and Disney see it the same way unless for whatever reason that's the only way to get him in in which case something is better than nothing. I'll wait and see like always. I really hope you're right but I just can't envision this future you see.
I agree, Sora makes much more sense as a full pack as third party franchise. I don’t think Kingdom Hearts is a spin off of Final Fantasy. I don’t see why they would give a bit less content than normal essentially making a smaller pack or no other content and people would be puzzled and disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I dont think we will receive a third party without stage, music and spirits.

If Sora is bonus and the last character, will be with a full pack. A full pack that is sold only individually and is not part of a pass will generate more direct benefit and easier for Nintendo and Disney to distribute the profits.

If bonus are real, I can see Waluigi, Dixie, Rex or Bandana Dee without stage, music and spirits. But Sora or another third party are ilogical and imposible without a full pack.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Waluigi’s Taco Stand?
Geno’s Pizza?
Porky Robotics?
Isaac and Son’s Moving Company?
Crash N’ Burn Airlines?
Dixie Salon?

so many possibility....
First thing I think of when reading that is Khonjin House.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If Sora’s coming at all, it’s as a full-fledged pass. Disney would want way too much money for Sakurai to half-*** his DLC. We’d get the character, several costumes, spirits, music, and a stage. And possibly even an Echo fighter alongside him—or it could be a Bowser Jr. sitch—Sora, with Roxas, Riku, and Ventus alts. And if we’re really daring, add in Aqua, Terra, and Kairi too. But I’m betting, if he’s in, it’d just be cosmetic form changes as his alts.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

To be fair, Sora is the only third party character I could entertain for this because, as shown, this overwhelmingly favors first party characters and franchises. I mention Sora because there's decent evidence that Nintendo at least approached Disney about Sora but nobody knows the end result. There's also the fact that Sora has been shoehorned into stuff before with minimal content so there's some precedent to it too. Based on what I presented, I'd honestly argue that Mario, DK, and a retro character of some kind are the ones that walk away with the strongest cases.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
While I don’t really get fatman’s galaxy-brain yet, something about Gooigi is interesting. Could we be seeing an Echo Pack as the last four WoL slots? There’s quite a few choices that could be had there.

The Mother boys Amiibo reprint issue is also interesting, could we be seeing an RPG character join? Kid Icarus is also interesting? (And with Viridi/Medusa, could point to an echo pack with one of them as Palu echoes)

As I said, I only got like every third word of the theory so far but...

Wait, why would the leftovers from Mii Costume Guy point towards “bonus packs” and not the rest of the fighters pass?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Can I just say, if Fighters Pass 2 is gonna be a repeat of the first 6 DLC characters thematically, then it'd make sense for Geno to be the Banjo of the line-up and be the 4th character of the latter half of the 12 total characters? Min Min already fills the Piranha Plant, but whoever the next character is before Geno, the two characters before then would have to be like Joker and Hero. I don't know who those two might be, but I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom