• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I've hinted at them in the past but I've backed off as not to be too obnoxious with them. I think it's safe to say this thread figured out one was SMRPG a long time ago. The other is the one I've referred to as "the Big One™" in the past and believe it should be kept a surprise so I encourage people not to guess it out loud for the sake of that fanbase.
Oh my God, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest!! All 6.8 people are excited now!

I count as 3 of those people.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
so we can get SMT 5 news and a new DK soon?
A bit off-topic since this involves a different character than Geno, but if Donkey Kong Country coming to NSO is tied to an E3 announcement, it could mean a new game is coming... or, it could be related to Smash, and that one of the fan favorites that Fatmanonice speculated about could potentially be her...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
A bit off-topic since this involves a different character than Geno, but if Donkey Kong Country coming to NSO is tied to an E3 announcement, it could mean a new game is coming... or, it could be related to Smash, and that one of the fan favorites that Fatmanonice speculated about could potentially be her...
E3 reveals being Geno and Dixie would be perfect.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Huh, so I guess they decided to make a video teaching zoomers how to use cheat codes for DKC.
For reference, have they done this before for any other games?
Well, they did give Dixie a feature video awhile back for Mario Kart Tour and DK had a prominent cameo in the TOK trailer but it probably means nothing. :troll:

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
As a question to the Geno fanbase in general, but more specifically to my fellow Geno artists/content creators: Do you think it'd be a dumb or good idea to try and 'make' an expansion to WoL? Like, maybe a community-specific Geno story mode? Which I guess would be more in line with an extra Classic Mode with story between matches. Since it's rather unlikely (though admittedly still possible) that we're going to be getting any official WoL expansions, anyway.

My idea was something like me and whoever else wanted to take part in it drawing out (or actually animating if I have time) the 'cutscenes' between fights, and then laying out a specific line-up of matches based on said story scenes. Just as a random example, perhaps there's a cutscene where Geno is talking with Mario and gets ambushed by Machine Made knock-offs of himself, and the match that follows would be Geno with a CPU Mario ally vs two or three Megamen or Mii Gunners if Geno brings his costume back with him.

T2by4

Smash Lord
1593524880267.jpg

So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice you're saying 3 NES titles will get announcements that follow them, right? Given everything I've seen so far, here's what I'm speculating only based on everything I've seen in this thread so far:

1. New Donkey Game after DKC3 gets ported/ Dixie Kong for Smash

2. New Earthbound Game after all earthbound games are ported / Porky for Smash

3. Remake of SMRPG (kinda doubt this part at least) / Geno for Smash (if what you said is true, this is basically guaranteed at this point)

Overall would be a solid FP, that is if all of them are tied to Smash like that, which I doubt since I still think at least half will be 3rd party. Still, pretty rockin' FP if this is what they're going for. Again, this is just my speculation.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I like Dixie Kong and it's really about time she joined the roster, but I can't imagine her being "The Big One" as far as DLC goes. She's also the only one I'd see being an Echo Fighter in the pass--to Diddy, but with an Up-B similar to DK's using her hair-licopter. Kinda like how Chrom's not a full Echo--maybe she'd be a bonus fighter.

Earthbound being brought to NSO can be considered big, I suppose, but I don't think Porky would break any barriers.

Oh! What if "The Big One" is Chrono Trigger, and they're finally giving us a sequel!? Mmm... no, definitely not. If SMRPG is coming, I don't think we'd be getting Chrono Trigger or any other Square Enix game so soon after. Is this "The Big One" supposed to be related to Smash Bros.?

Mortal Kombat! With Scorpion or Sub-Zero joining the roster. Too violent, most likely. But pretty big stuff.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
To those people who talked about that tinfoil hat theory about Geno getting revealed today, being 7/7.

I'll admit while the reveal didn't happen, the presentation might be getting worked on today. After all, Min Min's presentation was done since May, but held off. It could very well be the same for this.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
With the announcement of DKC being added to the SNES NSO library, I'd like to bring up this.

This is a Chained Kong; a SMRPG enemy. Heh, who would've thought.:denzel:

Firox

Smash Master
Mario, Peach and Bowser are playable characters already, so you can't have them be characters AND final Smash assists. It wouldn't make sense: Geno uses his FS and Mario, Peach and Bowser help him attack and defeat Mario, Peach and Bowser? That would look ridiculous, confusing and unrealistic.

You CAN'T have a character be playable and assist to another character's final Smash. Its impossible.
Chrom aside, I do think having Mario, Peach and Bowser in there is a little over the top, especially considering that Geno never had a move in SMRPG that involved a whole team attack. In fact, I'm fairly confident that his final smash would simply be Geno Flash since that was his ultimate attack anyway. I know there's a lot of jest and satire going around, but I doubt Sakurai's going to do something totally off the wall for his FS.

D

Deleted member

This isn't related to Geno all that much, but it is related to SMRPG.

I posted this a while back, and it'd be really nice if this was a thing. I don't have a SNES Classic to play SMRPG on, unfortunately. But I do have it on Virtual Console on Wii U.
Let's use a prominent example. We all know what the save block looks like.

Very colourful. But it's simply *too* much.

I exported this from the LazyShell editor, but I can't find any way of transferring it into the game.
This is what I'd like it changed to. Does away with the seizure-inducing rainbow effect, but still preserves the look of the save block. I find it very difficult to play the game, as I have to constantly look away from the save block in order to save properly. If it was more like this, I'd be a lot happier.

I mentioned Link to the Past had a similar issue in it's intro. Nintendo fixed that to make it less seizure-inducing. But oddly enough, for SMRPG, they've fixed some seizure-inducing effects, but kept sprites like the Save Block virtually the exact same on all versions of SMRPG.

How can I get someone to do this, or alternatively, how can I manage to do this myself?

I just want to play the game in peace, without constantly worrying I'll get a seizure any time I go near a Save Block.

Edit: On a unrelated note, I just got Geno! Now I'm stuck at Yo'ster Isle, trying to beat Boshi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
With the announcement of DKC being added to the SNES NSO library, I'd like to bring up this.

tinfoil hat intensifies

What if we were getting bonus fighters in addition the FP2 roster? Four extra dummy slots makes me think they thought this through. To be honest, I always figured that Geno would be a bonus fighter if the pass ended after five, but now we've got FP2.

So Min Min > Geno > Lloyd Irving > Crash Bandicoot > Rex and/or Pyra > Master Chief, then four non-pass bonus characters, all from previously represented serieses (so there'd be no need for music or a stage). This way they could add clones and echo fighters - Dixie Kong (Diddy Echo) > Elma (Shulk clone) > Yuri Lowell (Lloyd clone) > Waluigi (OC)

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I just realized I accidentally made the entire thread mad when I said that the Glitch Theory made no sense from a programming perspective. I haven’t been in here for a bit after the irl Smash community events left me very emotionally distraught/depressed, so I completely missed that. Probably a little late to bring up a reply, so I’ll try to keep it brief. I’m a huge Geno fan too; I’ve been in this and other Geno threads for years now, so I’m not some outsider coming in to tell you guys not to speculate or have fun and that Geno isn’t gonna get in. In fact, like many people, I think Geno’s chances are higher than ever. I genuinely just meant that this particular theory made... less sense than color theory, if I’m gonna be blunt, but people are allowed to speculate or disagree if they want. Sorry if I upset people by saying that; it’s possible that I was altogether too curt in my response, and if I made people feel like I was thinking low of them for believing in it, then let it please be known that was not my intention.

That aside, I do admit though that sometimes the defensiveness of this thread does worry me a tad, though I absolutely understand it myself. We’re all sensitive because us as Geno fans are all constantly subject to brigading and people trying to treat us like fringe weirdos for our like of a video game character, and it never feels good. But as a Geno fan myself, the moment I posted one innocuous comment about one theory that I personally thought had no merit, I saw large amounts of people, including figureheads of this thread, essentially started talking about me as if I were some blind hater; another brigader set to bring about nothing but pessimism. I don’t like getting othered by people OUTSIDE the Geno thread, but it sucks way worse when people inside the thread, including notable posters, start to other me too. You guys are almost entirely nice people, and I don’t think anyone was doing so intentionally, but regardless, that’s how I felt when I saw it. Perhaps I’m being too sensitive; I admit that’s possible. But I figured I would throw it out there.

Sorry, I suck at brevity.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
0999BC15-BC27-416D-96ED-1667DB49520E.jpeg

AA2DD3B8-3A91-4034-99E2-C8D81E0D1282.jpeg

Maybe a lot of you think that I’m too positive or too dreamy but I believe 100% that two things are happening:

1) Geno playable in Smash Ultímate somewhere in FP2. If that number ends being DLC #7, would be even prettier.

2) SMRPG ported to Switch Library (very nice news the DK thing).

What I half believe or don’t believe it that much are for example a Remake or Sequel of SMRPG or more Geno appearances in other Mario games like Origami, Party or Kart. But I do believe with all my heart and faith that he is coming playable in Ultimate with the reveal soon.

Credits on the second picture to Tigerhawk01 on Deviant Art.

Also, having Geno playable in Smash after his 24 years first appearance will be my last request/wish in gaming industry and I would have my 3 heroes together in my favorite game ever: Link, Mega Man and Geno. Notable mentions on these last two cause there are Third Party and even harder to imagine back in the old school days.

Best wishes to all and let Geno see the light very soon. Sincerely, the 1990 fan from Chile!

GENO SMASHES THE PARTY!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Also, you can’t make this up, I promise this was a picture I just took after playing a few hours tonight. While I technically took it on July 8th since it was a little after 1:00 AM, it was after playing a few hours straight of Elite / Quickplay, so very most probably the 7777th match was on 07/07. How crazy is that, why does the game even acknowledge that, haha.
EF614AEA-94EE-46E1-BB7D-D30FB52C70F0.jpeg

berserker37

Smash Rookie
Hey y’all, in papagenos discord, he was talking about a source he was talking with. Here’s a doc with the screen grabs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d_4uuic2xo8bZhwzJkmZtQfWFent4x8erWdd2KPqrNM/mobilebasic

To cut and paste the tldr:
Papa was told info from someone extremely credible that points to multiple characters for Smash being a lot more likely (this does not mean they’re outright confirmed, but still a lot more likely) than he previously thought, but out of those characters Geno and Waluigi make the most sense. However it doesn’t have to lead to a full on fighter, but it’s likely it does. Both or even neither could end up being playable. He can not tell us what the piece of info is exactly, so you wouldn’t gain anything by pressing him for more info.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hey y’all, in papagenos discord, he was talking about a source he was talking with. Here’s a doc with the screen grabs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d_4uuic2xo8bZhwzJkmZtQfWFent4x8erWdd2KPqrNM/mobilebasic

Papa was told info from someone extremely credible that points to multiple characters for Smash being a lot more likely (this does not mean they’re outright confirmed, but still a lot more likely) than he previously thought, but out of those characters Geno and Waluigi make the most sense. However it doesn’t have to lead to a full on fighter, but it’s likely it does. Both or even neither could end up being playable. He can not tell us what the piece of info is exactly, so you wouldn’t gain anything by pressing him for more info.
What he said there reminds me of what he said about his source who told him Banjo & Kazooie were DLC in 2018 (and that was a game of telephone with a middleman involved; they did mention B-K possibly being able to fit in the basegame, but that was only when they and PapaGenos started speculating how they could fit with Grinch Leak). He basically said the same thing, how the person the info was coming from was someone who was definitely in a position where they would know.

This combined with the other stuff we got going, things are looking better and better.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what do you make of this Octopath Traveler Spirit event along with the recent news PapaGenos received? You never did explain why Min Min's launch boosted Waluigi's chances, so I'm wondering if you could now. What's interesting to me is that PapaGenos kept saying Geno or Waluigi for most of it... whereas some (such as you and I) have been under the mindset that we could probably get them both. But PapaGenos is making it sound like his source is implying that only one of them are being hinted at. What are your thoughts on that point and just everything, as I said? Because these things seem like bigger news bits.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
...What kind of detail could point to both Waluigi and/or Geno at the same time, but isn't an outright character leak? To be completely honest, besides being Mario characters the two don't really have much in common. Unless it literally is something just like 'a Mario rep is likely'.

Heoj

Smash Ace
This new development in leak spec. has me a little worried that its gonna be waluigi who gets in and genos costume returns

(and honestly, waluigi is one of my least wanted characters so i hope on the star road he doesn't get in)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Certainly one of the weirder enemies found in Super Mario RPG. Why are they in the Forest Maze and Barrel Volcano? Why are they in chains? What IS the point of having a spiked collar around his...hair?

I do also wonder how the reference actually came about. Yea, it's pretty obviously a DK reference, but it's also clearly based on the Rare Kong design rather than anything else. I know it might be weird why that matters but how Nintendo handled Rares designs and characters both during their partnership and after the buyout is pretty interesting, somewhat convoluted/annoying, and actually probably the best explanation we have to why Nintendo tends to refuse to use any of the non-core Mario cast in spin-off games.

It's a LONG discussion point and somewhat off-topic but the gist is that Nintendo viewed everything Rare created as it's own separate thing, even characters like Diddy were seen as theirs. It's why despite being extremely popular, Donkey Kong Jr. was in Mario Tennis instead of Diddy, why a game like Smash 64, despite Nintendo owning Donkey Kong, still has "Character used with the permission of Rare" in the credits because it was the DKC Donkey Kong, and why Nintendo let Rare keep all their original IP's when they (in what is still the most completely insane, asinine, and questionable business decision Nintendo ever made, I WILL fight you on this.) refused to buy Rare and let them go to talk with Activision/Microsoft instead. It was a respect thing, Rare's stuff was Rare's and Nintendo's Nintendo's, including stuff like the DKC characters (even people at Rare have said as such, Nintendo was reportedly really excited when they chose to have Diddy Kong star in Diddy Kong Racing instead of Donkey Kong, building on the idea that Diddy was their baby and not Nintendo's.)

Of course this created a situation post-buyout where Nintendo had no idea what to do with Donkey Kong, who, lest you forget/not be aware, was one of Nintendo's biggest names at the time in terms of sales and raw popularity, and had zero idea how to portray him, what games to make, what to do with his supporting cast (with projects like Jungle Beat choosing to completely ignore anything Rare did out of respect and not wanting to use what they didn't view as theirs), leading to this weird, insane downward spiral of misrepresentation that didn't start to get rectified until Returns in 2010 and arguably still hasn't quite been fixed entirely.
  • Ok, but WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GENO OR SMRPG?
Well, aside from being an excuse for me to rant about Donkey Kong (keep in mind, that was the SHORT version, could get a full 10-page essay out of this), applying this kind of logic to the RPG characters, or really any of the spin-off casts like WarioWare, paints a pretty solid picture of why the hell Nintendo refuses to have them appear in anything else. Once again, it's a respect thing, realize that all the Nintendo characters that appear in Mario Kart 8 are all franchises the main Nintendo EPD team works on, same thing with the special Villagers like Ganon in New Leaf, they like to stick to their own stuff and leave the other Nintendo IP's to their respective teams, because it's not their territory according to their logic. We don't want to put WarioWare characters in Mario Kart, those aren't our characters, we can't use anything from Mario and Luigi, those are Alphadreams thing, we don't want to disrespect them or represent them wrong.

Obviously, this makes it ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING at times to be fans of many of these characters (and of course what appears in the Mario spin-offs like Kart, Party, and Sports is what tends to determine the whole state of Mario as a brand these days, and not appearing in any of them just leads to these other characters not being as prevalent and being used less which is just a cycle and how someone like King. K Rool can be seen as an "unimportant side character no one actually cares about", thanks Nintendo) but it is how Nintendo tends to do things. But, you might be thinking, sometimes those characters have shown up or been referenced in other stuff, whats the deal there? Well, most third-party or even first-party studios working with the Mario Universe don't really view things in the same frustrating way Nintendo seems to, as in, actually acknowledging and using other characters. Namco actually uses the Rare cast in Donkey Konga and the Mario Base-Ball games, Mario Mix DDR has songs from all sorts of weird places like Wario World or Thousand Year Door, Mario Party 5 uses the Star Spirits, even a game like Mario Strikers uses the Kremlings because why the hell not, they're cool, let's just put them in the game!

Of course before all of these, there was one other collaboration game, Super Mario RPG. And does that game care at ALL about what Nintendo wants the Mario brand to be, this ultra sterile boring piece of stale white bread? Of course not, it presents it's own wonderful interpretation of Mario's world that builds on what was established at the time as well as introducing so many new exciting elements. And it's awesome. You know why Link and Samus are in the game as cameos? Because some guy on the development team thought it would be cool, and it is. It's not "disrespecting" the Metroid team to have Samus sleeping in a bed, it's a cool nod that people like. And, of course, that leads us back to the Chained Kong. Would Nintendo have put this kind of reference in any of their games at the time? No, they couldn't do that, it looks like Rare's Donkey Kong, we can't do that, that's "disrespecting" the Rare team! But did Square care? No, because it's a cool enemy and a neat reference to another game series in the Mario Universe. Perhaps it can be seen that Nintendo's arbitrary restrictions and refusal to use or acknowledge certain portions of the Mario brand as what the chains represent in the current day, and that in reality, the Chained Kong being present in Mario RPG actually breaks away from those chains to create something more interesting and memorable than could ever be done in a more traditional Mario game.

This is a very silly post.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
...What kind of detail could point to both Waluigi and/or Geno at the same time, but isn't an outright character leak? To be completely honest, besides being Mario characters the two don't really have much in common. Unless it literally is something just like 'a Mario rep is likely'.
My theories:

• Source heard Mario music being recorded, or was somehow involved in the creation of Mario music for Smash. Implication here being if it's Geno, stage could get a couple SMRPG songs alongside some new Mario remixes. Alternate explanation in this vein is that he saw a list of music for a DLC stage which included a bunch of Mario tracks
  • Mario Mii costumes
  • Source has some kind of incredibly specific dyslexia that mixes up the words Geno and Waluigi

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This new development in leak spec. has me a little worried that its gonna be waluigi who gets in and genos costume returns

(and honestly, waluigi is one of my least wanted characters so i hope on the star road he doesn't get in)
I don't think it's impossible for both characters to co-exist. We will just need to wait and see.

The multiple SE events seems to be Square's way of repaying for Spirit Events which I find pretty interesting.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

At the risk of this becoming a screencap in a Geno BTFO thread on /v/ sometime next year I think we can pretty safely say that Square Enix will not be releasing a Mii costume of their IP alongside a character that isn't theirs

Heoj

Smash Ace
My theories:

• Source heard Mario music being recorded, or was somehow involved in the creation of Mario music for Smash. Implication here being if it's Geno, stage could get a couple SMRPG songs alongside some new Mario remixes. Alternate explanation in this vein is that he saw a list of music for a DLC stage which included a bunch of Mario tracks
  • Mario Mii costumes
  • Source has some kind of incredibly specific dyslexia that mixes up the words Geno and Waluigi
I feel like theirs a really good chance that the person is referring to something about legacy xp. Papagenos mentions that the evidence could apply to some other characters, but both he and his source agreed that the other characters dont have much of a chance, aka shadow and metal sonic.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I feel like theirs a really good chance that the person is referring to something about legacy xp. Papagenos mentions that the evidence could apply to some other characters, but both he and his source agreed that the other characters dont have much of a chance, aka shadow and metal sonic.
Never even considered this, brilliant. The music takedowns are even more compelling, then

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
It all adds up every time with every new detail added, every new stuff happened or every Geno info still missing.

The puzzle is going to be solved very soon and the stars will align as well.

QQS

Smash Lord
Found a video of WatanoLemonT in NintendoEnthusiast.com. Nice to remember this battle between the boys against Bowyer.

Credits to all artists! And to John Friscia for the post.

8766848D-C685-4D80-A049-F7848CCCB6F0.jpeg

EDIT: this is my favorite scene in the game. All the Bowyer Sequence. The one I remember the most from my 6 or 7 years when I was a kid playing it. My other heart touching part are Geno Awakens and Good Bye Geno.

OMG this game is so amazing and soul touching. So many emotions and memories...

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's a LONG discussion point and somewhat off-topic but the gist is that Nintendo viewed everything Rare created as it's own separate thing, even characters like Diddy were seen as theirs. It's why despite being extremely popular, Donkey Kong Jr. was in Mario Tennis instead of Diddy, why a game like Smash 64, despite Nintendo owning Donkey Kong, still has "Character used with the permission of Rare" in the credits because it was the DKC Donkey Kong, and why Nintendo let Rare keep all their original IP's when they (in what is still the most completely insane, asinine, and questionable business decision Nintendo ever made, I WILL fight you on this.) refused to buy Rare and let them go to talk with Activision/Microsoft instead. It was a respect thing, Rare's stuff was Rare's and Nintendo's Nintendo's, including stuff like the DKC characters (even people at Rare have said as such, Nintendo was reportedly really excited when they chose to have Diddy Kong star in Diddy Kong Racing instead of Donkey Kong, building on the idea that Diddy was their baby and not Nintendo's.)
I find it odd that they used Diddy in Double Dash then, which happened right after the buyout and Nintendo's reluctance to use him in the 90's.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I actually posted my reasonings for Waluigi the other day in the Waluigi thread because the mods usually get mad when I do lengthy character defenses outside their respective threads:

https://smashboards.com/threads/a-n...i-support-thread.485216/page-23#post-23997631

As for what's going on right now, I think a lot of people are thinking Geno or Waluigi because we're currently in a similar situation to last year where most of our thinking was shaped by certain parameters. "Oh, this source is hearing Crash? That must mean they're 5." That sort of thing. Sakurai is capable of breaking his own "rules" but we still get hung up on them. "There's only 5 spots left. Surely 2 of them wouldn't be Mario characters, right?" Like I've been saying for a couple of weeks now, I think there's cheeky shenanigans a foot.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I actually posted my reasonings for Waluigi the other day in the Waluigi thread because the mods usually get mad when I do lengthy character defenses outside their respective threads:

https://smashboards.com/threads/a-n...i-support-thread.485216/page-23#post-23997631

As for what's going on right now, I think a lot of people are thinking Geno or Waluigi because we're currently in a similar situation to last year where most of our thinking was shaped by certain parameters. "Oh, this source is hearing Crash? That must mean they're 5." That sort of thing. Sakurai is capable of breaking his own "rules" but we still get hung up on them. "There's only 5 spots left. Surely 2 of them wouldn't be Mario characters, right?" Like I've been saying for a couple of weeks now, I think there's cheeky shenanigans a foot.
"They wouldn't do a Fire Emblem character for DLC. That'd be too obvious."

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

Educated guess?
Probably has to do with that big Mario Celebration that insiders and rumorists are talking about. We know some mario thing is coming this year. But what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom