• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Can I get a big compile list of "evidence" in favor of Geno? I am working on a video for reasonable alternative explanations for all of them.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I’m just glad a lot of people here are neutral on Waluigi and his chances, it’s a breather from Twitter where everyone thinks every Waluigi fan is toxic and Waluigi should never ever get in Smash. Regardless, I’m kind of sorry for flooding the Geno thread with Waluigi talk for around my last 5 posts. It’s just easy to get off topic when I want both of them. I’m really hoping Geno is the next character to get in, and I can only hope I finish SMRPG by that time, as I can’t really play my SNES Classic right now. And honestly, I think we’re at least getting an Nintendo announcement before Origami King comes out. We got Origami King announced 12 or so days before Xenoblade DE came out, so it’s certainly possible we get something in the first week of July. Let’s just hope they reveal #7 in said announcement, and let’s hope that it’s Geno!
Don't worry about it, we already talk about Waluigi here more than we talk about Geno!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Dont think I've made one of these yet, so I'll go ahead and post my predictions for who the Fighters Pass 2 characters will be. For all I know I could be entirely wrong on these so take them with a grain of salt. Keep in mind aside from Min Min none of these are in any particular order:

predictions wishlist.png

Geno: Goes without saying there's tons of things going for him. Min Min has broken the Spirits fanrule, he's been one of the most requested characters since Brawl, and Sakurai himself has said that he could have a fun moveset. I think he could be this pass' Banjo & Kazooie, being an addition made specifically to appease fans. Of these, Geno is the one I'm most confident in.

Rex & Pyra: Or just standalone Rex or whatever they're gonna do. Sakurai has mentioned that he wanted to include a character from ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in Ultimate, but they JUST missed the boat. Now that Min Min is in in (heh), as well as Byleth being added in the first pass to rep another recent Switch game, I think Rex & Pyra have a good shot of getting in. Plus, Spirits are on the table.

Crash Bandicoot OR Rayman: This one's weird because neither of these two have any correlation? I just think both are pretty likely. Crash has been on a path to revival between the N. Sane Trilogy and Crash Bandicoot 4: Just in Time!, and him getting into Smash would be the next logical step, on top of being a highly requested character in his own right. On the other side we have Rayman... even if you think the Ubisoft Mii costumes put a dent in his chances, as I mentioned, Spirits are on the table now and Rayman has a large following behind him, maybe not as big as Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno, but big nonetheless. idk, I just think both are likely and wasn't sure who to go with, so I added both. Whoops.

Lloyd OR Yuri: With Heihachi off the table, I think it's safe to assume Tekken is out of the running as far as this pass is concerned. I don't have any attachment to the Tales of series, but it's massive, currently has no representation in Ultimate, and Lloyd's costume from Smash 4 has been MIA not dissimilar to Geno. Lloyd is arguably the series' most recognizable character like Cloud is to Final Fantasy, but Yuri has also become more relevant in recent years. Not sure which of the two I think are more likely, but Yuri combining swordplay with physical fighting makes me want to lean more on him. That... and he looks like less of a tool than Lloyd (sorry).

Master Chief: I don't really have much to say about Master Chief. My gut feeling tells me we're either getting him more DOOM Marine, and I'm really leaning on Master Chief on this one. We know Microsoft is willing to play ball now that Banjo & Kazooie are in Ultimate, and the lack of Microsoft Mii costumes that came with Banjo & Kazooie is pretty suspicious.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I personally see Sakura from Sakura Wars likely too.

That game has a huge impact on japanese pop culture, got a Game recently which sold well, represents a big part of the SEGA Saturn era, is associated with the iconic Segata Sanshiro ads, has a lot of stage and music potential and of course would be hype enough to guarantee enough positive fan-reception.
Which Sakura though? I don't know a lot about the series but I'm pretty sure the Sakura from the old games is not the same character as the one from the recent game.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Dont think I've made one of these yet, so I'll go ahead and post my predictions for who the Fighters Pass 2 characters will be. For all I know I could be entirely wrong on these so take them with a grain of salt. Keep in mind aside from Min Min none of these are in any particular order:

View attachment 276161

Geno: Goes without saying there's tons of things going for him. Min Min has broken the Spirits fanrule, he's been one of the most requested characters since Brawl, and Sakurai himself has said that he could have a fun moveset. I think he could be this pass' Banjo & Kazooie, being an addition made specifically to appease fans. Of these, Geno is the one I'm most confident in.

Rex & Pyra: Or just standalone Rex or whatever they're gonna do. Sakurai has mentioned that he wanted to include a character from ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in Ultimate, but they JUST missed the boat. Now that Min Min is in in (heh), as well as Byleth being added in the first pass to rep another recent Switch game, I think Rex & Pyra have a good shot of getting in. Plus, Spirits are on the table.

Crash Bandicoot OR Rayman: This one's weird because neither of these two have any correlation? I just think both are pretty likely. Crash has been on a path to revival between the N. Sane Trilogy and Crash Bandicoot 4: Just in Time!, and him getting into Smash would be the next logical step, on top of being a highly requested character in his own right. On the other side we have Rayman... even if you think the Ubisoft Mii costumes put a dent in his chances, as I mentioned, Spirits are on the table now and Rayman has a large following behind him, maybe not as big as Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno, but big nonetheless. idk, I just think both are likely and wasn't sure who to go with, so I added both. Whoops.

Lloyd OR Yuri: With Heihachi off the table, I think it's safe to assume Tekken is out of the running as far as this pass is concerned. I don't have any attachment to the Tales of series, but it's massive, currently has no representation in Ultimate, and Lloyd's costume from Smash 4 has been MIA not dissimilar to Geno. Lloyd is arguably the series' most recognizable character like Cloud is to Final Fantasy, but Yuri has also become more relevant in recent years. Not sure which of the two I think are more likely, but Yuri combining swordplay with physical fighting makes me want to lean more on him. That... and he looks like less of a tool than Lloyd (sorry).

Master Chief: I don't really have much to say about Master Chief. My gut feeling tells me we're either getting him more DOOM Marine, and I'm really leaning on Master Chief on this one. We know Microsoft is willing to play ball now that Banjo & Kazooie are in Ultimate, and the lack of Microsoft Mii costumes that came with Banjo & Kazooie is pretty suspicious.
That would be an incredible line up! It is pretty close to what I think the pass will look like. Not sure on Namco just yet, but would welcome it (being a Tales fan)

EDIT: Mine is identical to yours, just get rid of Tales and divide Crash and Rayman.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Can I get a big compile list of "evidence" in favor of Geno? I am working on a video for reasonable alternative explanations for all of them.
As someone who has read the list, while it is very comprehensive and contains a lot of coincidences/leaks that point toward the idea of Geno in Smash; there is a lot of redundant information that really isn't "evidence" that he is in now, just points in his favor that have existed all the way since base game (such as Nintendo being aware of demand and Sakurai supporting Geno). But all in all props to PolarThief for making it.

Really in my opinion the strongest leak supporting Geno right now are the music takedowns since Sans and Banjo also had that associated with them alongside Geno. While it could have been just an bot takedown rather then Nintendo going specifically for SMRPG tracks because he is in Smash, it would be a HUGE coincidence if it happened completely randomly alongside 2 characters that did end up making it in. I do think that if Geno does get into Smash he would bring that music with him, now the only problem is if they would attach that to a mii costume or a fighter. I lean towards the latter, but there really isn't a ton of evidence for that.

Following that is the Mii costume list leak, it did get all the Banjo costumes except for Sans down. It's highly likely that Mallow + Smithy are coming due to that; however, there are definitely a ton of leaks out there that have some truth attached to it; but mix in some lies alongside them.

Finally, my least favorite "leak" is Cacomallow. It is technically still possible for it to be right, but as time passes onward it becomes more and more unlikely. I've brought this up, before but I still doubt that DOOM were to get 1 costume it would be Cacodemon rather than Doomguy. However, Doomguy's chances are in extreme limbo currently thanks to interviews surrounding him. If Doomguy doesn't get in as a fighter, I can't really see us getting a Cacodemon outfit unless we get both Cacodemon + Doomguy mii costumes, but so far new series with no fighters tend to get 1 costume and not to mention that would open the possibility of us getting both Mallow + Geno as mii costumes.

Those are the most "solid" pieces of evidence that Geno has going for him, which is definitely a lot more than the usual fighter. Sadly, the biggest problem with all of them imo is that they all imply Geno, but they never just come out and say that Geno is in. However, they still do point more towards a fighter rather than a costume.

I don't really think everything else is nearly as strong, so I don't feel like discussing that.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I need to temper the expectations of people who think Geno is a lock for the next character. I remember Isaac having a similar thing pre Ultimate and that turned out to be nothing.
You don't need to temper anything, I think most of us here know he's not a 100% guarantee. And I'm sure any alternative explanations you can come up with we've already heard a hundred times before.

D

Deleted member

Which Sakura though? I don't know a lot about the series but I'm pretty sure the Sakura from the old games is not the same character as the one from the recent game.
Both could be added with one as the main fighter and the latter as an alt.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even with MinMin breaking the spirits deconfirm fanrule, I'm struggling to come up with new material to discuss

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Even with MinMin breaking the spirits deconfirm fanrule, I'm struggling to come up with new material to discuss
To be honest there really isn't much else to discuss until fighter pack 7 is revealed. Min Min broke the spirit rule, Geno's costume is still missing, and 2 SMRPG tracks got taken down. Things are pointing to his inclusion but there's not much else to speculate imo. We just have to unfortunately wait and see.

I'm tired of waiting. Just get him in ugh.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If we’re to get a Tales of rep, I’m banking on Lloyd Irving. While Yuri is the superior character, and is banned from popularity contests, Sakurai is more interested in legacy than he is popularity—the exception being Min Min, but even then, she’s still considered a protagonist. Lloyd has more history with Nintendo—bringing the Tales series to the mainstream. His inclusion will mirror Cloud’s.

That said, I just wish that either of them join the game with their original actors. Scott Menville is unlikely given how he was replaced for every game after the original, but Troy Baker could come back.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I need to temper the expectations of people who think Geno is a lock for the next character. I remember Isaac having a similar thing pre Ultimate and that turned out to be nothing.
After 15 years of being let down at every turn, I'm well tempered, thanks!

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
If we’re to get a Tales of rep, I’m banking on Lloyd Irving. While Yuri is the superior character, and is banned from popularity contests, Sakurai is more interested in legacy than he is popularity—the exception being Min Min, but even then, she’s still considered a protagonist. Lloyd has more history with Nintendo—bringing the Tales series to the mainstream. His inclusion will mirror Cloud’s.

That said, I just wish that either of them join the game with their original actors. Scott Menville is unlikely given how he was replaced for every game after the original, but Troy Baker could come back.
I also wish Lloyd but aren't sure who will be choosen
He is another list, this is from Fatmanonice: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1S2J9qPVD5uMOrhfy29rz9_ot5MvAfNH2dhuAWRUhrhQ/mobilebasic

link2702

Smash Champion
you know, while I'm sure MinMin fans are happy, I feel somewhat bad for em, Seeing as her reveal seemed to be viewed as more "important" for destroying the spirits deconfirm BS, and less for her being a unique character and arms Rep. With our favorite star warrior Geno even trending on twitter after her reveal. Kinda as if he stole all her thunder.

Wonder if Nintendo might play into this for Geno's reveal? And we end up having Geno and MinMin kinda being viewed as "rivals" all because of this?

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
you know, while I'm sure MinMin fans are happy, I feel somewhat bad for em, Seeing as her reveal seemed to be viewed as more "important" for destroying the spirits deconfirm BS, and less for her being a unique character and arms Rep. With our favorite star warrior Geno even trending on twitter after her reveal. Kinda as if he stole all her thunder.

Wonder if Nintendo might play into this for Geno's reveal? And we end up having Geno and MinMin kinda being viewed as "rivals" all because of this?
Honestly I don't feel bad for any fans that get their character playable. They won, and any noise being made is drowned out by the sound of the haters own tears.

mIN mIN

QQS

Smash Lord

View attachment 276161

This is the more realistic FP2 I have ever seen. Though we could have different opinions, or I could want another characters (my personal fan favorites instead of some in the picture), like for example Skull Kid or Tails; this is somehow the most realistic scenario and what we can expect of FP2.

Anyway, I don’t care about my others favorites as long as my most wanted is in playable: Geno. After Geno I won’t ask or need more. Though of course it would be nice to see everyone fab favorites also, like the ones in the picture and hope for more!

GENO BOOSTS IN!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, you really don't. Expectations have been tempered for 15 years, thanks
Exactly. Allow me to make an example... According to Powerman's profile, he's 22. He was 7 when people like me and Psycho began this campaign on Nsider back in 2005. It's been ongoing since I haven't always been around but Psycho pretty much created a new support thread for the newest Smash game as soon as it was allowed. For us Boomers, we've been waiting the full 24 years to see Geno, Mallow, and the other original SMRPG characters return in a meaningful capacity.

Plus... This year has been absolute ass... This is literally the worst time in recent human history to go out of someone's way to be a buzz kill. It's a global pandemic and depression, I mean damn... Just let people have their nostalgic video game character...

axel_

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 276161

I mostly agree with this outcome. I think the Western third party that isn't Master Chief/Doomguy will depend on how willing they are to go into the Spirits beyond Min Min and Geno, in which case I presume Rayman would be more likely.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"But people could wind up disappointed."

Well, that's life. My now wife literally laughed in my face the first time I asked her out. I had an entire panel of professors basically tell me I needed to drop out of grad school because I wouldn't make a good mental health counselor. I watched my childhood cat die and face get slowly get eaten away by cancer because my parents didn't want to pay for treatment. I have a Master's degree and basically no where to go because the world is an absolute trainwreck right now. As a 32 year old man, I think I can handle Geno not showing up again and I think everyone here has dealt with some life changing occurrence of disappointment or even grief that absolutely pales in comparison to a character not making it into a video game.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Exactly. Allow me to make an example... According to Powerman's profile, he's 22. He was 7 when people like me and Psycho began this campaign on Nsider back in 2005.
My fondest online memories were browsing the character support threads on the original Nsider and hearing about your Geno antics on Nsider 2. Back then, with Sakurai's journals, with how little we all understood game design and licensing, it seemed like it was pretty much a guarantee that he was going to be in Brawl. Of course, we expected Brawl to have...a lot more characters than it did.

To hear Sakurai say that we were right on the mark, that he did want Geno in Brawl after all, felt like vindication even if I wasn't directly involved back then. Smash 4 started off with Mega Man, and it felt like fans were finally being listened to. Ridley and K. Rool being in the base game, Banjo being in the first round of DLC--we're so close to finishing off everyone's most wanted lists from 2007 that I can almost taste it, so the last thing I think we need is someone going out of their way to temper our expectations.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
This reminds me of a rant that I wrote a bit ago that I'll post here:
What's the point of people constantly saying "Ohhhh, don't be so confident with Geno, you'll only set your self up for disappointment again"??? Like, why should I constantly have to have every piece of evidence and boon to his chances nullified just so I don't get disappointed? I've been disappointed in life before and I'll be disappointed by life again, I'm sure, so why should I have to not actually take a stand and believe in something that I believe in just so I can run from life? Like really, all pessimism will get you is having all the good moments dulled down when they actually do happen because you've spent months depressing yourself over everything. I wanna take a ****ing stand, not just sit on my hands and mope.
Gonna quote an older post of mine because it's relevant again lol

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Since the hype Police issue comes up here time to time, again and again (seriously, this is a support thread. Of course people here are more on the side of being hopeful for a character), I have to wonder: does ANY other support thread go through this?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well, that's life. My now wife literally laughed in my face the first time I asked her out. I had an entire panel of professors basically tell me I needed to drop out of grad school because I wouldn't make a good mental health counselor. I watched my childhood cat die and face get slowly get eaten away by cancer because my parents didn't want to pay for treatment. I have a Master's degree and basically no where to go because the world is an absolute trainwreck right now. As a 32 year old man, I think I can handle Geno not showing up again and I think everyone here has dealt with some life changing occurrence of disappointment or even grief that absolutely pales in comparison to a character not making it into a video game.
I am so sorry to hear that man

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
"But people could wind up disappointed."

Yes. To add to this, I come here for purely for enjoyment. I am going to get the same jaw-dropping, mind-blowing reaction to Geno getting added whether I am expecting him or not. And if he isn't in, I'll be upset for 90 minutes and go on living my life. So I choose to spend these months being excited about the possibilities and the fact that he is so incredibly likely after all this time. If it doesn't pan out, it's certainly not uncharted territory for us and I'd much rather enjoy these moments with my comrades even if I am let down later as opposed to "tempering my expectations now", also to be let down later anyways.

This is what it's all about baby

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I need to be real for a moment... I've talked to a lot of you in private and gotten to know some of you. You want to know one of the most gut wrenching things somebody has told me recently in these conversations? Somebody told me "they don't expect Geno to be playable because, as bad as the world is right now, they don't expect things to ever be good again." Do you know how hard it is to see another Geno fan say that? As someone who takes meds for depression, has gone through long spells of suicide ideation, and nearly face planted into alcoholism in grad school because I was so stressed all the time, I recognize despair and it hurts to see.

For some of you, Smash or even just Geno are some of the only things that keep the light on and keep you from spiraling. This seemingly irrelevant community is keeping some of you grounded and able to hold onto some semblance of hope towards literally anything. I'm sure saying that is going to trigger some phylm soaked guttural laughs from detractors but some of you are as involved and invested as you are because it's become an exercise in your well being. Yeah, it could all go up in flames but some people unfortunately have lives that are like leaving a car crash for a train crash and then for a plane crash and the fun and community that we have in this dumb little thread is one of the few "good" things going for them. This said, no, people can set up their expectations on their own because you never know how little it may take to knock someone completely down.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Since the hype Police issue comes up here time to time, again and again (seriously, this is a support thread. Of course people here are more on the side of being hopeful for a character), I have to wonder: does ANY other support thread go through this?
It's been happening in the Doomguy thread, especially when Cacomallow gets brought up.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I’m not sure about the exact date, but based on what I could find in here, I believe it was around July 12th last year.
Thank you for reminding me about the takedowns... if they take down songs if it means anything, why not take down the cacamallow leak?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Thank you for reminding me about the takedowns... if they take down songs if it means anything, why not take down the cacamallow leak?
I’m not sure. To be honest, I don’t care about Cacomallow as much as I used to, as we’d see Geno before the costumes anyway (unless Cacodemon comes before him in a different pack of course), and so the “leak” doesn’t feel like it matters much.

But, anyway, it is strange Nintendo didn’t take it down tbh. They could’ve missed it, but you’d think their bots would have gotten to it by now, so idk.

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
And now, we may be entering our final waiting period. What a ride
I can only imagine how explosive this thread is gonna be if/when Geno's reveal trailer show's the first sign it's him, like how everyone flipped when the Jiggy from the Banjo-Kazooie trailer bounced on the screen.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Echoing what others have said, there's a good portion of Geno supporters that are older, myself included, that have wished for Geno in every iteration of Smash after 64. Geno not being in smash is the normal, so there's really no expectation to temper. If you take a step back, it's just really awesome that 24 years after it's release, a side character from Super Mario RPG is widely considered a front runner in the biggest selling "fighting" game of all time. Nutty stuff. While I've never been too active in the community, I've been supporting Geno from the sidelines since my days on the NSider forums and SWF. Eternally grateful to everyone who stays active in the community, you're all da real mvps.

On a quick aside, a few months back I moved to a new city. During my packing process, I went through a box of stuff from my childhood, that I had not seen since before I left for the Navy in 2006. Going through that was a great experience, seeing all this stuff I had no clue still existed. I found a couple of things of note. I had two strategy guides that survived, REmake for GC and Super Mario RPG guide. This thing is busted, with pages coming out. I definitely wore it out back in the day. Still has my tab for the frog coins section!
front.jpg map.jpg genoandback.jpg

Bonus, my mom apparently kept random creative assignments from my childhood, and one of the few in the box was this one I did of stuff I liked while I was in the 5th grade. What a timecapsule, haha.

5thgrade.jpg

Here's hoping the dream finally comes true!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's going to be a long month that's for sure
More like a long Summer if Geno doesn't get announced in July.

Well look what happen with the Banjo fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom