• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I must ask while I am here. Does anyone else think the fact that Nintendo didn't go for Spring Man as the ARMS rep, the literal posterboy of the franchise, hurts the chances of seeing assist trophy upgrades? Personally, I am 50\50 on that. On one hand, Sakurai did end up going for someone who wasn't an assist trophy, but at the same time, he did show a trailer of Spring Man trying to get an invitation and the fact that he went with Min Min is simply because Sakurai and the ARMS director wanted her, so maybe they do think assist tophies are elligible.

What are your guy's thoughts on this?
He considered Spring Man so I think it's entirely possible ATs are still in the running at this point. Maybe he'll clarify in his famitsu column.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think looking too deep into what amiibos release with what characters isn't a good idea, when you actually look at the waves themselves its clear there doesn't seem to be any correlation.
https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/

Yea, sometimes restocks can be interesting (Huh, Nintendo is restocking most of the Zelda amiibos in September, if only there was some upcoming game that might tie into. HMMMM) but just looking at specific Smash amiibo doesn't really tell us much.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I must ask while I am here. Does anyone else think the fact that Nintendo didn't go for Spring Man as the ARMS rep, the literal posterboy of the franchise, hurts the chances of seeing assist trophy upgrades? Personally, I am 50\50 on that. On one hand, Sakurai did end up going for someone who wasn't an assist trophy, but at the same time, he did show a trailer of Spring Man trying to get an invitation and the fact that he went with Min Min is simply because Sakurai and the ARMS director wanted her, so maybe they do think assist tophies are elligible.

I think Sakurai and Nintendo are going to select the characters that they want to select and not worry if they are already a spirit, assist trophy, costume, etc. That said, I see those levels of representation as a consolation prize for at least the current wave of content, so any costumes or spirits showing up now are probably for keeps. Just as a side note, do we know when Sakurai spoke with the Arms director? It could be they had the conversation about Min Min way back during base roster, "If you could have one character as a DLC fighter who would it be?"

Droodle Droodle I haven't looked too deeply into it yet but I do know off the top of my head that Plant's Amiibo was all first party too and came with K. Rool and Ice Climbers.
Did a quick google search. Looks like April 2019 (Joker) was: :ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultken: and September 2019 (Banjo) was :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultsnake:. Man, if amiibos do randomly hint at characters, then Mario, Luigi, Cloud would be about as heavy handed as possible for Geno and I'm all for it!
Edit: Hero's amiibo wave did not have a 3rd party character: :ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultisabelle:

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I really cannot overstate how great it feels that the spirit curse was broken by a character who won a literal popularity contest. We have this in the bag
I absolutely love it when you put it that way. I don't think anyone could have paved the way any better than Min Min.

I'm going to simply state what we KNOW.

Fact 1: No character has ever become playable in the same game in which their mii costume was first introduced.

Fact 2: No character has ever become playable in the same game in which they would also exist as an assist trophy.

These are NOT RULES. They are PRECEDENTS, which means that the odds of them being broken are unlikely but not impossible. That said, Springman was both an AT AND a costume, so that was two strikes against him. True, Sakurai did say that he CONSIDERED him, though we don't know exactly all the reasons why he decided to opt for a different pick. Maybe it was because he and the creator of ARMS agreed that Min Min was more popular. Maybe it was because Sakurai felt that Springman was already well represented in Smash. Maybe it was both. Maybe it was something else entirely. We don't know for sure, but if you factor all these things together, I would say the chances of an AT upgrade are incredibly slim. Then again, all it would take is another Min Min scenario for Sakurai to smash the precedent. Honestly, anything is possible at this point. We can only make assumptions as to the probability.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
While Red Mage's in final fantasy can use physical attacks, they're generally more well known for combining offensive magics and healing/support magic, Black Mages are purely offensive powerhouses while White Mages focus entirely on support with one good offensive spell in Holy.

Red Mages also have the best hat.

View attachment 276106
Not gonna lie, Red Mage is a sleeper pick that would be absolutely perfect for Smash. He's high on my list of "would be awesome but will never happen". Smash attacks would be quick jab sword attacks (typically uses a rapier) and specials can each be a basic elemental ability. Final smash would be their Limit Break from Final Fantasy XIV: Vermillion Scourge

And, yes, the hat is the best.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I simply think they have someone else in mind to break that barrier. I honestly don't think it was a coincidence that Metaknight, Pit, and Wario broke the trophy barrier, Charizard the Pokeball barrier, Little Mac the assist trophy barrier, Mewtwo the trophy barrier in the same game, and Inkling the Mii costume barrier. I think who they are choosing is very deliberate and, with this in mind, I think Waluigi runs away with it. Him being an AT is practically folklore in Smash culture at this point. It's almost canon that he WANTS to be playable but keeps falling short for one reason or another. The fanbase has happily filled in the gaps, especially for Ultimate. He gave his invitation to Daisy, Plant/Joker stole it, etc. None of the other ATs really have this mythos around them and even Nintendo itself has commented on it. Waluigi in Smash is more than just a character request, it's a ****in' saga of Nintendo's perpetual loser that just wants things to go his way one time and that's compelling in its own right. Waluigi isn't "real" but the fanbase has created this whole lore about him trying and failing to get into Smash, only to keep trying.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I simply think they have someone else in mind to break that barrier. I honestly don't think it was a coincidence that Metaknight, Pit, and Wario broke the trophy barrier, Charizard the Pokeball barrier, Little Mac the assist trophy barrier, Mewtwo the trophy barrier in the same game, and Inkling the Mii costume barrier. I think who they are choosing is very deliberate and, with this in mind, I think Waluigi runs away with it. Him being an AT is practically folklore in Smash culture at this point. It's almost canon that he WANTS to be playable but keeps falling short for one reason or another. The fanbase has happily filled in the gaps, especially for Ultimate. He gave his invitation to Daisy, Plant/Joker stole it, etc. None of the other ATs really have this mythos around them and even Nintendo itself has commented on it. Waluigi in Smash is more than just a character request, it's a ****in' saga of Nintendo's perpetual loser that just wants things to go his way one time and that's compelling in its own right. Waluigi isn't "real" but the fanbase has created this whole lore about him trying and failing to get into Smash, only to keep trying.
Only other character that fans were deeply upset about being an AT was Isaac. Much like Geno, he's been a heavily requested character for over a decade

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I really cannot overstate how great it feels that the spirit curse was broken by a character who won a literal popularity contest. We have this in the bag
*insert scene from Dennis The Menace where the thief shoves a doll in his bag only it's a Geno doll*

That's what came to mind anyway.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Only other character that fans were deeply upset about being an AT was Isaac. Much like Geno, he's been a heavily requested character for over a decade
Never finished playing Golden Sun. And still, Isaac was one of those characters that I wanted so hard to be a playable character. That stung hard.

T2by4

Smash Lord
1592851341753m.jpg

>waluigi gets in
>springman becomes the new waluigi

And so the cycle continues until the end of time

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think we are getting Isaac over Waluigi if we see an AT getting upgraded ... I just don´t see them doing more than one rep from the same franchise and I think Geno has a higher chance then the purple plumber.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Honestly, I think we are getting Isaac over Waluigi if we see an AT getting upgraded ... I just don´t see them doing more than one rep from the same franchise and I think Geno has a higher chance then the purple plumber.
All due respect to the Wah, but Isaac is the last character after Geno that I would absolutely lose my **** to see get added, partly because of how much I like him and partly because of how seemingly impossible it would be to happen.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Screenshot_20200624-144211_Chrome.jpg

Oh yeah, verge is back, and he (somewhat) correctly called the pokemon info today. May want to watch if he comes out with more info when july rolls around.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
You mean that they could be deliberately holding off assists like Springo because they are potentially considering Waluigi? If so I'd just like to point out that the only fan base the assist would pretty much only cause a surprise reaction within the speculation scene and it honestly doesn't seem likely that Nintendo are picking characters to break precedence which is only even known by the people who speculate on the game which is honestly quite a small minority. That and Nintendo aren't really going to add characters to break non existent rules. Even all the other promos you listed probably had nothing to do with their current roles. I may be completely misinterpreting that though.

It is a pretty big hit against him though that the only 2 characters they were apparently prominently considering were Min Min and Ninjara imo with no sign of Springman

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
All due respect to the Wah, but Isaac is the last character after Geno that I would absolutely lose my **** to see get added, partly because of how much I like him and partly because of how seemingly impossible it would be to happen.
Just curious, but is it just me that thinks Waluigi is most likely out if Geno gets in or vice versa? I mean, if they are adding both of them, what stops them to add 2 Zelda character (Midna and Skull Kid?) concidering Breath of The Wild continue to sales like butter, and LOZ has its 35 year anniversary like Mario has this year.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You mean that they could be deliberately holding off assists like Springo because they are potentially considering Waluigi? If so I'd just like to point out that the only fan base the assist would pretty much only cause a surprise reaction within the speculation scene and it honestly doesn't seem likely that Nintendo are picking characters to break precedence which is only even known by the people who speculate on the game which is honestly quite a small minority. That and Nintendo aren't really going to add characters to break non existent rules. Even all the other promos you listed probably had nothing to do with their current roles. I may be completely misinterpreting that though.

It is a pretty big hit against him though that the only 2 characters they were apparently prominently considering were Min Min and Ninjara imo with no sign of Springman
This is just alongside the fact that Waluigi is heavily wanted and has been for a long time. Waluigi is very popular but there's also this depth to him being an assist trophy that nobody else has.

For example, this video has close to 9 million views. Videos and fan art and comics on the topic are everywhere and have been for years. No, I don't think Waluigi would be promoted just to break precedent but precedent would be broken because the sheer amount of demand for it, just like for characters like Little Mac and the others I mentioned in my last post.

T2by4

Smash Lord
This is just alongside the fact that Waluigi is heavily wanted and has been for a long time. Waluigi is very popular but there's also this depth to him being an assist trophy that nobody else has.

For example, this video has close to 9 million views. Videos and fan art and comics on the topic are everywhere and have been for years. No, I don't think Waluigi would be promoted just to break precedent but precedent would be broken because the sheer amount of demand for it, just like for characters like Little Mac and the others I mentioned in my last post.
If there were any character that would be the best finale for the smash bros roster, it would be waluigi. Just the sheer memes alone of waluigi being the final character and actually finally making it in... it'd be beautiful. Now of course, Geno would get in before him, but that'd just add to the sweet victory to waluigi fans that after all this time he got in. I don't care for anyone to get in other than Geno, but I can't help but root for Wah if there's even a slimmer of hope for him to get in.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

That's cool then. Just to play devils advocate, it seems weird that out of all characters that they mostly considered Ninjara and Min Min but not the mascot until Mr Yabuki redirected them to Min Min. If they have established that as a rule for themselves, it's in a similar situation to Goku in which no matter how much demand it gets they aren't going to go back on something they set themselves.

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I’m just glad a lot of people here are neutral on Waluigi and his chances, it’s a breather from Twitter where everyone thinks every Waluigi fan is toxic and Waluigi should never ever get in Smash. Regardless, I’m kind of sorry for flooding the Geno thread with Waluigi talk for around my last 5 posts. It’s just easy to get off topic when I want both of them. I’m really hoping Geno is the next character to get in, and I can only hope I finish SMRPG by that time, as I can’t really play my SNES Classic right now. And honestly, I think we’re at least getting an Nintendo announcement before Origami King comes out. We got Origami King announced 12 or so days before Xenoblade DE came out, so it’s certainly possible we get something in the first week of July. Let’s just hope they reveal #7 in said announcement, and let’s hope that it’s Geno!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's cool then. Just to play devils advocate, it seems weird that out of all characters that they mostly considered Ninjara and Min Min but not the mascot until Mr Yabuki redirected them to Min Min. If they have established that as a rule for themselves, it's in a similar situation to Goku in which no matter how much demand it gets they aren't going to go back on something they set themselves.
I honestly think there was more to it than that. Like Zhuge demonstrated on Sunday, he called that the most popular character in his Twitter poll would be the ARMS rep and, of course, it was Min-Min. Min-Min is arguably the breakout character of ARMS regularly wins popularity contests by considerable amounts. Is Min-Min Mr. Yabuki's favorite? Yes but she is of a lot of people too. It's like Geno in a way. You'd expect Mallow and Geno to be fairly even in popularity but Geno runs away with it and has for years. Min-Min is one of those rare examples of a technical "side" character becoming more popular than the signature mascot.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I honestly think there was more to it than that. Like Zhuge demonstrated on Sunday, he called that the most popular character in his Twitter poll would be the ARMS rep and, of course, it was Min-Min. Min-Min is arguably the breakout character of ARMS regularly wins popularity contests by considerable amounts. Is Min-Min Mr. Yabuki's favorite? Yes but she is of a lot of people too. It's like Geno in a way. You'd expect Mallow and Geno to be fairly even in popularity but Geno runs away with it and has for years. Min-Min is one of those rare examples of a technical "side" character becoming more popular than the signature mascot.
Tbh ZHuge could have easily called that from the fact that 90% of people were predicting Min Min. Sakurai phrased it in a manner which suggested that he did it mainly because Yabuki asked him. Yabuki may have taken her popularity into account too but whether he did or did not make Sakurai aware of it probably wouldn't have influenced it much as long as Yabuki still requested her. I really don't think this excuses the lack of him tbh.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really don't understand why the PCB, a tournament involving skill and not a poll, is being pushed as a super-accurate popularity contest by multiple people I've seen on the internet over the course of ARMS speculation, and Min Min didn't win by a much higher win % than the few characters she was actually against. She's clearly one of the most-popular but still. She's my 2nd favorite and all, but I'm just saying, if the PCB actually was a popularity contest, then it wasn't a very good one.

Tbh ZHuge could have easily called that from the fact that 90% of people were predicting Min Min. Sakurai phrased it in a manner which suggested that he did it mainly because Yabuki asked him. Yabuki may have taken her popularity into account too but whether he did or did not make Sakurai aware of it probably wouldn't have influenced it much as long as Yabuki still requested her. I really don't think this excuses the lack of him tbh.
Yabuki also likes Spring Man, but I'm pretty sure they went with Min Min just because he wanted her to be the fighter. Based on what Sakurai said regarding Yabuki telling him all the ARMS characters are the protagonists, you could also assume he might have considered Spring Man before Yabuki told him that and requested Min Min.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since Waluigi was mentioned, I do wonder something

Reggie after E3 said he heard the calls for Waluigi from the fans and he would let Sakurai Know. Do you guys think those Talks went anywhere in the Plans for FP2 (Probably because around that time FP1 was already Decided)?

D

Deleted member

In regards to Waluigi:

While I would like to see Waluigi in, I would prefer to add Pauline instead due to nostalgia bias.

That said the ideal thing would be to add both.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I really don't understand why the PCB, a tournament involving skill and not a poll, is being pushed as a super-accurate popularity contest by multiple people I've seen on the internet over the course of ARMS speculation, and Min Min didn't win by a much higher win % than the few characters she was actually against. She's clearly one of the most-popular but still. She's my 2nd favorite and all, but I'm just saying, if the PCB actually was a popularity contest, then it wasn't a very good one.

Yabuki also likes Spring Man, but I'm pretty sure they went with Min Min just because he wanted her to be the fighter. Based on what Sakurai said regarding Yabuki telling him all the ARMS characters are the protagonists, you could also assume he might have considered Spring Man before Yabuki told him that and requested Min Min.
Sakurai literally said the two fighters he was considering were Ninjara or Min Min, which just so happen to be the two who did the best in the final Party Crash. He only went with Min Min after Yabuki asked but still, it's one hell of a coincidence if he just so happened to want to put in the two who also did the best in the tournament.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai literally said the two fighters he was considering were Ninjara or Min Min, which just so happen to be the two who did the best in the final Party Crash. He only went with Min Min after Yabuki asked but still, it's one hell of a coincidence if he just so happened to want to put in the two who also did the best in the tournament.
Weren't they his personal favorites or something? I'm just saying, if y'all looked at what the PCB was, it clearly wasn't a popularity contest or at least not a good one if the ARMS people even actually considered it one. It was like a tournament bracket with many Party Crash events, Min Min herself only going against three other characters in separate matches. Though there was at least one actual thing gauging popularity (which I think is old now but still), though I don't remember how many votes it got if it was even a poll instead of a statistic thing, just Ninjara was first and Spring Man was third and iirc it wasn't much people tbh.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, Geno's chances have only gotten stronger and not weaker thanks to Monday's reveal.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Personally speaking, I got the implication that Sakurai was fully prepared to add Springman as the fighter; but Yabuki came in and stated that "every character is the protagonist of ARMS, not just Springman", which ended up opening the way for Min Min/Ninjara. So I don't really think ATs deconfirm at all, and if Nintendo wants Sakurai to add someone like Waluigi/Isaac; I doubt he'd complain.

But that is the implication I got, and I also don't really think PCB had anything to do with it. If it did, Ninjara wouldn't even have been considered by Sakurai and he would have gone straight to Min Min.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Weren't they his personal favorites or something? I'm just saying, if y'all looked at what the PCB was, it clearly wasn't a popularity contest or at least not a good one. It was like a tournament bracket with many of the Party Crash events, Min Min herself only going against three other characters in separate matches. Though there was one actual thing gauging popularity, though I don't remember how many votes it got if it was even a poll instead of a statistic thing, just Ninjara was first and Spring Man was second and iirc it wasn't much people tbh.
It's still one of those things that raises an eyebrow, not like it really matters now anyway, Min Min is in, cool, onto 7.

D

Deleted member

I honestly thing this is fake but lets take in considerationView attachment 276153
Honestly, these picks are too safe and I kinda doubt a Bamco rep at this point.

I see a SEGA rep more likely due to recent tendencies from them.

Also, that "when one gets confirmed you know I'll be right" sentence screams of big attention-seeking energy.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I honestly thing this is fake but lets take in considerationView attachment 276153
That's 6 characters, and it doesn't even mention ARMS. Its fake.

Since Waluigi was mentioned, I do wonder something

Reggie after E3 said he heard the calls for Waluigi from the fans and he would let Sakurai Know. Do you guys think those Talks went anywhere in the Plans for FP2 (Probably because around that time FP1 was already Decided)?
The problem with this is that we never know if it's just PR talk or not. Also, no one really knows how the DLC process even ends up working in the long run. For all we know, a couple dozen options are discussed within Nintendo and they picked 6 from those, because personally I doubt that Nintendo only discusses the exact 6 DLC characters that we end up getting; I mean within ARMS itself, both Min Min and Ninjara were at the very least seriously discussed.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

IIRC Min Min was his overall favourite but he played Springman the most but I can get behind this.

D

Deleted member

I want to say that I agree but that would mean I'd have to pick between Eggman and Kiryu, don't do this to me.
I personally see Sakura from Sakura Wars likely too.

That game has a huge impact on japanese pop culture, got a Game recently which sold well, represents a big part of the SEGA Saturn era, is associated with the iconic Segata Sanshiro ads, has a lot of stage and music potential and of course would be hype enough to guarantee enough positive fan-reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom