• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
So, by all current factors:

-Because this presentation is the first of Season 2, it's pretty likely to have a "But Wait, There's More" moment that will reveal content we weren't originally told about it or expecting.
Maybe something that has to do with stages? Smash Wii U had stages like Peach's Castle 64, Miiverse and Super Mario Maker, that weren't tied to a character and were just standalone. Maybe they'll do this again and bring the skipped over ones like Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze, or some new ones from games that didn't get one in this game? A Star Fox Zero stage? A Pokémon Sword/Shield stage? A Luigi's Mansion 3 stage?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie on hiatus in her series, was considered for Brawl.
Dixie active in her series, so far skipped over in 4 and Ultimate.

......I don't get it.
A lot of the K. Rool supporters jump ship to support Banjo & Kazooie instead of Dixie after K. Rool got in. And after Banjo & Kazooie got in a lot of them went on to support Crash instead of Dixie again. Probably because these are fans who grew up in the N64/PS1 era instead of the 16-Bit era. Dixie not being in DK64 was a missed opportunity for her because she would have gotten more recognition from DK64 since it was one of the big titles on the N64. The game was in the top 10 best selling N64 games.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Are we talking about Banjo here? Banjo's copyright stuff was a huge deal because it not only covered the old games themselves but brand new merchandise. Dead franchise getting new legal rights to sell stuff like T-shirts and plushes is definitely a red flag. Rayman and Tales have both gotten the same thing recently too. It shows that their respective companies have big plans in the not too distant future although, yes, that doesn't mean it's absolutely involves Smash.

I want to repeat why looking at this stuff is important and refer specifically to Crash Bandicoot's current situation. Like I said back in 2019, several of my contacts said Crash was eventually coming to Smash because Activision accidentally leaked a document online in the summer of 2019 that mapped out his next three years. Many were incredulous but then, I believe in March, I found this article from early 2018 supporting that this mysterious document actually existed and shared it here:

https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-a...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

Again, Crash's situation is almost a carbon copy of Banjo's: starting with a copyright leak, followed by merch leaks, followed by new game appearances.
Speaking of Crash...

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/statu...ashs-nitro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/page-82

https://twitter.com/CrystalFissure/...ashs-nitro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/page-82

https://twitter.com/angelsalgado316...ashs-nitro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/page-82

Crash News soon?...

Firox

Smash Master
Hey All, so I've seen people say multiple times that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?

link2702

Smash Champion
the first character of season 2 isn't likely to get shadow dropped. Unless like stated before, it was during another event.

but something like PM:OK? yeah no, they're not dropping the new reveal out of the blue just like that.

so think it's safe to say that today is another no-go, possibly tomorrow too....so next week it is again....

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hey All, so I've seen people say multiple times that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?
Here's the thing, I had the exact same mentality in the past for characters like Pac-Man and Ryu.

I failed to see how they could make Pac-Man remotely interesting, and Ryu sounded like the most boring pick in the world for me. "Oh lemme guess, side special is tatsu, up B is Shoryu, B is Hado, SNOOOOORE".

Then we actually got them shown off, and Pac-Man is my absolute favorite character to play casually and the way he's basically a love letter to Namco's 80s arcade games is so cool, and Ryu is one of the most brilliantly implemented characters in Smash with his combo structures working so similarly to SF2 and having command inputs and light-medium-fierce attacks that really make him stand out from other Brawlers. And don't even get me started on Ken, I may be horrible with him but damn if he's not fun. The shotos are great, and Pac-Man is just fun to goof off with.

My point here is Sakurai could make a stick figure an interesting fighter if he really wanted to, and I've kind of just come to accept that there's really no such thing as a character who wouldn't bring something new to the table. Crash is a character I don't have nearly as strong of a connection to as others, but I still know he'd fit right in.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I will be honest, I wouldn't be too excited about Crash as I wouldn't find his moveset that interesting and I would prefer Spyro over him. But the sheer "AH!" factor of a former PlayStation mascot making it into the roster would be a surreal moment.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I do agree with this honestly. I think he'd be a character a lot of people would react to on youtube but we wouldn't see many people actually using him in the game past the opening release window (unless he was top tier). I'm pretty neutral on Crash myself. I wouldn't personally use him, but I also much prefer him over most other names floating around.

Firox

Smash Master
My point here is Sakurai could make a stick figure an interesting fighter if he really wanted to, and I've kind of just come to accept that there's really no such thing as a character who wouldn't bring something new to the table. Crash is a character I don't have nearly as strong of a connection to as others, but I still know he'd fit right in.
I will be honest, I wouldn't be too excited about Crash as I wouldn't find his moveset that interesting and I would prefer Spyro over him. But the sheer "AH!" factor of a former PlayStation mascot making it into the roster would be a surreal moment.
Very good points. For the record, I too would be way more stoked to see Spyro (I mean, a quadrupedal dragon fighter? That's pretty unique!), but to Fenriraga's point, Sakurai can literally turn a stick figure into an interesting character so who's to say?

I do agree with this honestly. I think he'd be a character a lot of people would react to on youtube but we wouldn't see many people actually using him in the game past the opening release window (unless he was top tier). I'm pretty neutral on Crash myself. I wouldn't personally use him, but I also much prefer him over most other names floating around.
Exactly. I feel Crash is a good example of a character people would love the IDEA of, but in practice, unless Sakurai gives him some broke AF frame data, I don't seem him getting a lot of play in the long run.

On the other hand, I feel one of the greatest boons for Geno is how original HE could play. He's a nimble projectile mage that could potentially play as a possessed wooden swiss army knife of weapons. Couple this with a wide assortment of flashy specials, AOE's and timed hits, he's a slam dunk for making an original moveset. (I'm not trying to pit Geno vs Crash, I'm just making observations about their potential movesets)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
And who else wants crash for bringing back the memories of the commercial that brought crash as the third challenger during the console wars between Sega and Nintendo

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, by all current factors:

-We're probably getting a general Smash presentation next Thursday.

-Because of the fact that it's a June presentation, it's all but guaranteed to have multiple reveals.

-Because this presentation is the first of Season 2, it's pretty likely to have a "But Wait, There's More" moment that will reveal content we weren't originally told about it or expecting.

Hold fast, comrades. The wind is in our sails and the end is in sight. Don't go crazy just yet.
I'm definitely holding out for 2 reveals minimum

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe something that has to do with stages? Smash Wii U had stages like Peach's Castle 64, Miiverse and Super Mario Maker, that weren't tied to a character and were just standalone. Maybe they'll do this again and bring the skipped over ones like Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze, or some new ones from games that didn't get one in this game? A Star Fox Zero stage? A Pokémon Sword/Shield stage? A Luigi's Mansion 3 stage?
I kind of doubt a stage and here's why:

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Downloadable_content_(SSB4)

In Smash 4, we had 7 DLC characters. We coincidentally also had 7 DLC stages that were available for both versions of the game. An even bigger coincidence, 4 of these stages were brand new and three were returning, just like the characters. We also coincidentally had 6 Mii costume waves, equaling one for every character after Mewtwo, the bonus. Of course, this was heavily streamlined in Ultimate to every pack had a character, a Mii costume wave, and a stage but you definitely see them entertaining the idea in Smash 4.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to add, every odd number mii pack (remember it started with banjo), a indie mii costume and one music track comes in.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Idk, have you played at least 3 Crash games?
Im not being sarcastic, or negative when I say this. I’m legitimately curious because from what I remember about his games he has a ton of potential moves.
Probably more so than Geno to be honest.

Crash has a ton of gadgets, power ups, and few natural abilities at his disposal. Plenty of reference material to pick from considering he has over 5 games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , do you think the Iwata tribute character rumor is true and do you think it is coming? If so, do you think it will be a retro character or just any character in general close to Iwata's heart?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Idk, have you played at least 3 Crash games?
Im not being sarcastic, or negative when I say this. I’m legitimately curious because from what I remember about his games he has a ton of potential moves.
Probably more so than Geno to be honest.

Crash has a ton of gadgets, power ups, and few natural abilities at his disposal. Plenty of reference material to pick from considering he has over 5 games.
I've played all 3 thanks to the N. Sane Trilogy, Crash Bash, and Twinsanity. Geno would definitely sell the pass for the more in depth fans, but Crash would appeal to both casual and hardcore audiences alike

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I've played all 3 thanks to the N. Sane Trilogy, Crash Bash, and Twinsanity. Geno would definitely sell the pass for the more in depth fans, but Crash would appeal to both casual and hardcore audiences alike
I know I would buy it knowing I would get to have Banjo AND Crash in Smash.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As you can tell from my signature, Crash is one of my most wanteds. However, I respect your opinion.

I want Crash not just because I grew up with his games and the fact that Crash 2 was the very first game I vividly remember playing, but also because Crash was the third big gaming mascot of the 90's that represented the PlayStation, just like how Mario represented Nintendo, and Sonic represented the Genesis

axel_

Smash Journeyman
>Everyone is talking about Crash
>mfw I'm the only Doomguy supporter in this thread now
1592500832316.png

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Crash talk ?

... I hope he come with Twinsanity music. This OST is legendary lol.

Also , potential moveset for the marsupial... I always saw him as some kind of frele glass canon/brawler , with some wacky stuff springled in like his spin that could throw away items , or his wumpa fruit bazooka. He would be fairly simple , but pretty fun imo.

Also , I found this , and found it pretty funny , so might as well share it here :
There was a problem fetching the tweet

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
As you can tell from my signature, Crash is one of my most wanteds. However, I respect your opinion.

I want Crash not just because I grew up with his games and the fact that Crash 2 was the very first game I vividly remember playing, but also because Crash was the third big gaming mascot of the 90's that represented the PlayStation, just like how Mario represented Nintendo, and Sonic represented the Genesis
Most of my childhood was in the 90s ans honestly people revise history quite a bit when discussing both Crash’s impact on gaming and his support for Smash. He was pretty big for a few years and then his series died for a while and recently has come back strong. He’s a good character and has a good series. But putting him up there with Mario and Sonic is a little much. Most average joes could not name Crash, but they’d know Mario and Sonic without question

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
DoomSlayer would be cool to see for historical reasons. It's just the uncertainty thanks to Bethesdas' comments that have caused doubt
The Geno and Doomguy teamup would be fantastic but yeah, those comments have put a damper on lots of people's expectations, including myself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I originally thought Crash was a stereotypical 90's "too cool for school" character but, based on all the signs pointing to his eventual inclusion, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the N-Sane Trilogy to try to figure out his appeal. Turns out, the old 90's commercials kind of do his character a disservice. He's a loveable idiot, literally. He's pretty dumb but ironically can do complicated things like fly a plane (which is hilarious to me). He's basically the opposite of Wile E. Coyote, dumb as hell but has charming flashes of brilliance, usually because of his impulsive nature.

Crash's backstory is basically a mad scientist wanted to turn him into a marsupial super soldier (yes, really) but in the process accidentally turned Crash's brain into guacamole, leading him to escape in the resulting chaos. The story of the first game is pretty simple. Save his girlfriend from the mad scientist; yadda yadda. The following games ditch the damsel in distress angle and primarily focus on Crash wanting to be a good guy and help his younger sister Coco. That's kind of the gist of a lot of the games.

Crash himself is basically if the Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes was friendly. It definitely has a lot of charm. The most endearing factors of the series, in my opinion are the character designs and the fact the games are genuinely funny. A trademark of the games is the super heavy slapstick and the fact Crash literally has dozens of death animations in every game. It's like playing a Saturday morning cartoon and it works spectacularly well. As you can tell, it didn't take me long playing the N-Sane Trilogy before I found myself cramming into the Crash clown car for Smash and understanding why Crash is such a big deal to so many people.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I originally thought Crash was a stereotypical 90's "too cool for school" character but, based on all the signs pointing to his eventual inclusion, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the N-Sane Trilogy to try to figure out his appeal. Turns out, the old 90's commercials kind of do his character a disservice. He's a loveable idiot, literally. He's pretty dumb but ironically can do complicated things like fly a plane (which is hilarious to me). He's basically the opposite of Wile E. Coyote, dumb as hell but has charming flashes of brilliance, usually because of his impulsive nature.

Crash's backstory is basically a mad scientist wanted to turn him into a marsupial super soldier (yes, really) but in the process accidentally turned Crash's brain into guacamole, leading him to escape in the resulting chaos. The story of the first game is pretty simple. Save his girlfriend from the mad scientist; yadda yadda. The following games ditch the damsel in distress angle and primarily focus on Crash wanting to be a good guy and help his younger sister Coco. That's kind of the gist of a lot of the games.

Crash himself is basically if the Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes was friendly. It definitely has a lot of charm. The most endearing factors of the series, in my opinion are the character designs and the fact the games are genuinely funny. A trademark of the games is the super heavy slapstick and the fact Crash literally has dozens of death animations in every game. It's like playing a Saturday morning cartoon and it works spectacularly well. As you can tell, it didn't take me long playing the N-Sane Trilogy before I found myself cramming into the Crash clown car for Smash and understanding why Crash is such a big deal to so many people.
His games were a major contributor to why the PS1 won the console war of the 90's. He was the unofficial mascot for the Playstation, and much like Geno, his initial game came out in 1996

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

The thing is, I'm not trying to invalidate Crash. I totally get why people would want him and I'm not saying he couldn't fit into the Smash bros format. I'm just saying that I personally don't find him all that interesting from a moveset perspective, though to be fair, several people have brought up the fact that his moveset actually does have a lot of source material to pull from. Hell, Sakurai could completely change my mind as he's done many times before by flexing some creative magic. I just think there's other characters out there that would be easier for deriving an interesting moveset. Not that it couldn't be done, but more bang for your buck, if you know what I mean. But, to each their own, I suppose.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Most of my childhood was in the 90s ans honestly people revise history quite a bit when discussing both Crash’s impact on gaming and his support for Smash. He was pretty big for a few years and then his series died for a while and recently has come back strong. He’s a good character and has a good series. But putting him up there with Mario and Sonic is a little much. Most average joes could not name Crash, but they’d know Mario and Sonic without question
I mean, when I was growing up, the three characters I always heard when discussing games were either Mario, Sonic and Crash and they always seemed to be the "90's gaming icons" for me, but I guess that is just depending on who you ask. If their was any character that was even remotely PlayStation's mascot back in the day, Crash is easily that character.

The thing is, I'm not trying to invalidate Crash. I totally get why people would want him and I'm not saying he couldn't fit into the Smash bros format. I'm just saying that I personally don't find him all that interesting from a moveset perspective, though to be fair, several people have brought up the fact that his moveset actually does have a lot of source material to pull from. Hell, Sakurai could completely change my mind as he's done many times before by flexing some creative magic. I just think there's other characters out there that would be easier for deriving an interesting moveset. Not that it couldn't be done, but more bang for your buck, if you know what I mean. But, to each their own, I suppose.
True. I've played almost every Crash game in my life and I can confidently tell you Crash has SO much potential. I even made a moveset for him, if you're interested. But yeah, agree to disagree on this one

Firox

Smash Master
True. I've played almost every Crash game in my life and I can confidently tell you Crash has SO much potential. I even made a moveset for him, if you're interested. But yeah, agree to disagree on this one
Yeah, I'd be interested. Shoot me a PM and let me see what you have in mind.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Chances are that if Crash does get in, he would be a fairly basic character to play but his personality and animations would transition very well (like Incineroar). He'd be a character more meant for casual fans of the game (easy to pick up and play), but he wouldn't play like anything super unique. He has moveset potential, but at the same time having a wide variety of moves doesn't make a character "unique". He'd be more of along the likes of Byleth and Banjo, then say Hero or Joker; which is fine.

Crash is iconic enough to get into Smash as is, the question is if Nintendo would feel like adding him to the game or not. N-Sane Trilogy did very well, especially on the Switch; but Crash hasn't had a huge resurgence back in Japan yet. He doesn't have the massive push like Banjo did for Smash. He would definitely be a "Western oriented" character, but that's not to say he can't get in just that traditionally Nintendo prefers to add Japanese characters.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I want to jump in on this because, as my last post indicated, I am not a big fan of all the Crash talk.
I personally think that as far as making Smash a "gaming hall of fame" and adding fun, unique characters with well-developed movesets goes, Doomguy does a much better job in every department.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
And who else wants crash for bringing back the memories of the commercial that brought crash as the third challenger during the console wars between Sega and Nintendo
Same. I used this as the basis for this trailer concept for Crash.

Just to add, every odd number mii pack (remember it started with banjo), a indie mii costume and one music track comes in.
While not a guarentee, I think this is worth keeping in mind.

>Everyone is talking about Crash
>mfw I'm the only Doomguy supporter in this thread now
View attachment 275188
I want Doomguy in Smash, too. You're not alone!

Franauts

Smash Cadet
Crash could have an attack involving TNT or Nitro boxes, I think it will be a cartoony character with exaggerated and ridiculous expressions, similar to DK, K.Rool, Banjo or Wario, who pull objects out of nowhere (like a cartoon), alter his own body to make huge fists or kicks etc.
I like these characters more than others because they are funny, for example when Terry uses his final smash in DK and this one pops his eyes, that kind of Looney Tunes stuff.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
You can't just register for it like a normal website. I would know, I tried.
You can't use a free email, that's all. You can still register with a school or work email, or any ISP email. It's to cut down on spam or something.

People vastly overstate Resetera's influence. It's not some crazy exclusive site of insiders, it's an overly aggressive wasteland of people that hate each other that's consistently bullying industry people off the site while reinforcing a narrower and narrower black and white worldview. Natedrake is like the only person there that would legitimately know Nintendo stuff as everyone else has since been banned or deleted their accounts.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

I found this chart once, and I think it's honestly perfect

1592506105315.png

Crash's appeal has always been that he was something like a Looney Tunes character you didn't know existed until seeing him. It's funny you mention the marketing showing him as a cocky, 90's attitude guy, where in Japan he's marketed as a "kawaii" character

1592506262599.png

I feel like both East and West just didn't know how to market Crash and neither thought being straight forward with the 'Looney Tunes' vibe would work so they tried different things, and it ended up sticking. Either way, it worked on both ends. Crash's monster success in Japan is why he was considered the third rival to Mario and Sonic and why he'd be such a perfect fit for Smash due to his place in gaming history

Firox

Smash Master
I want to jump in on this because, as my last post indicated, I am not a big fan of all the Crash talk.
I personally think that as far as making Smash a "gaming hall of fame" and adding fun, unique characters with well-developed movesets goes, Doomguy does a much better job in every department.
You know what? YOU KNOW WHAT?! I totally agree with you.

To be fair though, I'm finding it kind of funny how just about any character seems deserving the more you get to know them. I used to think 2B would be a bland, stereotypical swordie, but then I played Nier Automata and thought to myself, "oh yeah, she could do some cool ****." The first time I saw Terry, I thought to myself, "Oh great, here's Ken with a hat. All we need is another standard arcade fighter." Then he turned out to have one of the coolest combo games in all of smash and I snapped him right up. I suppose the more people understood Geno, the more they'd understand our want for him. That's the key to universal hype: EDUCATION! SHARE THE GOSPEL OF GAMING MAJESTY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom