• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd like to add something about Isaac since he is the only other character I care about outside Geno.

I've never really looked as Isaac as a "never ever" or "impossible" character. Instead, I think of Isaac as the single biggest snub in Smash history. He never felt like he should've been an underdog in the first place in the way that Ridley/Geno/Banjo/K. Rool were. Those 4 all had things actively working against their inclusions in one way or another that made them seem like pipe dreams. Sakurai literally said Ridley was too big. Geno and Banjo are owned by competitors who had "sour" relationships with Nintendo not so long ago. K. Rool is kind of similar to Isaac I'd say, but he wasn't the protagonist and DK already had a couple reps anyways.

Isaac is the main character in a series that deserves to be represented with a playable fighter in Smash and they just continue to not add him, so I look at this as a massive snub/disrespect. At this point I'll take Matthew
I feel like the same thing could be said about Toad and Dixie Kong. Toad being one of the most iconic Mario characters ever and Dixie Kong being just as iconic and important as Diddy and K. Rool. Both were characters people thought were very likely one way or the other for years especially Dixie Kong. But they keep getting looked over.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Isaac. It would still look like a uncomplete picture without him. It's not over until we get the "Big 5".
This. Definitely Isaac. And in his defense, he would NOT be just another typical "anime swordsman". His psynergy abilities and geokinesis would make him more of a mage/psychic type fighter that happens to use a sword for some of his normal attacks. He could be very unique to the rest of the swordies. Plus he looks freaking awesome.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, next Thursday is potentially our deadline for the Smash DLC FP6 and FP7. We'll have to wait and see if next week pans out

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, next Thursday is potentially our deadline for the Smash DLC FP6 and FP7. We'll have to wait and see if next week pans out
I'm pretty sure we're getting news next week, unless Nintendo pulls a troll move and releases the fighter the week after on the very last day of June, which I doubt

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm pretty sure we're getting news next week, unless Nintendo pulls a troll move and releases the fighter the week after on the very last day of June, which I doubt
It wouldn't surprise me at this point due to their weird behavior on Twitter lately like showcasing a random game in the middle of the night for example.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Thursday is the absolute deadline unless they don't care about the investors' meeting, or being absolute scum, saying "June", and then revealing on the literal last possible day.

23rd, 25th, or the very unlikely 30th. Sans a delay announcement, those are the only available days for reveals. (also the very unlikely 24th, but Pokemon is taking up another Wednesday, so definite doubt there)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They could also reveal it next week and have it available on the last day of June.

But yeah, it's important they announce it early enough for the Investor's Meeting too.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I feel like the same thing could be said about Toad and Dixie Kong. Toad being one of the most iconic Mario characters ever and Dixie Kong being just as iconic and important as Diddy and K. Rool. Both were characters people thought were very likely one way or the other for years especially Dixie Kong. But they keep getting looked over.
Kind of, but I don’t really agree. Mario series already has a ton of reps so its hard to say that the 10th most important Mario character is a “snub”. They can’t fit them all in.

Dixie I can more agree with as a snub. She has no business not being an echo or semi-clone, but again, her series is at least well represented, so it doesn’t sting quite as much.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We are still shooting ourselves in the foot as more days passes with no word about the ARMS rep yet. Just wait for a little longer and suck it up, news will come at it's own pace.
Screenshot_20200618-085951_YouTube.jpg

Polarthief

Smash Lord
They could also reveal it next week and have it available on the last day of June.

But yeah, it's important they announce it early enough for the Investor's Meeting too.
I'm thinking regardless of when the reveal is, the release will be the 30th.

I will laugh the Smash reveal is June 30th, the last day in June.
Yeah, it's a pretty scum move to do something like that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kind of, but I don’t really agree. Mario series already has a ton of reps so its hard to say that the 10th most important Mario character is a “snub”. They can’t fit them all in.

Dixie I can more agree with as a snub. She has no business not being an echo or semi-clone, but again, her series is at least well represented, so it doesn’t sting quite as much.
Toad I would say is actually more important than half of the Mario characters already in the roster.

Dixie Kong is like DK's Peach. She isn't a damsel that needs to be saved, but not having her for DK is like Mario not having Peach in the roster. DK, Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie are DK's Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Toad I would say is actually more important than half of the Mario characters already in the roster.

Dixie Kong is like DK's Peach. She isn't a damsel that needs to be saved, but not having her for DK is like Mario not having Peach in the roster. DK, Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie are DK's Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach.
I HARD disagree with comparing Dixie’s importance to Princess ****ing Peach. My point was to say that Isaac is the single biggest snub. Sure, there are a ton of “lesser” snubs of tertiary characters in their series that I don’t really care to discuss. That’s the point. With those characters there are cases for and against their inclusions. With Isaac there isn’t. He’s the protagonist of a second-party company that isn’t in Smash. He’s in a tier of his own

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, assuming this Raccoon guy isn't about to be banished to the Nightmare Dimension for the equivalent of kicking over a bucket of water, another thing that potentially supports a shadowdrop at some point is that Season 2 hasn't had its "But, Wait, There's More" moment yet. Like I showed in my last post, we got several for Smash 4 and Ultimate and, in truth, they all have had somewhat predictable intervals: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end.

Smash 4 beginning: Lucas and more DLC because it was hard implied that Mewtwo would be it.

Smash 4 middle: Not only Ryu but brand new stages and music.

Smash 4 end: Technically Bayo and the reveal that the Smash Ballot actually did play a role in deciding content.

Fighter's Pass beginning: Plant was actually announced after the announcement of the Fighter's Pass.

Fighter's Pass middle: Premium costumes and more DLC.

Fighter's Pass end: a full ass second season.

This said, making a tinfoil hat the size of the bearskin hats of Her Majesty's Royal Guard, we're technically still "due" our "But, Wait, There's More" moment for the beginning of Season 2 based on past precedent.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would love Isaac, but it seems nintendo has basically left Camelot to do sports games... if we could every get a remaster of golden sun maybe Isaac could arrive as well...

But nintendo seems to forget a lot of their properties...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I HARD disagree with comparing Dixie’s importance to Princess ****ing Peach. My point was to say that Isaac is the single biggest snub. Sure, there are a ton of “lesser” snubs of tertiary characters in their series that I don’t really care to discuss. That’s the point. With those characters there are cases for and against their inclusions. With Isaac there isn’t. He’s the protagonist of a second-party company that isn’t in Smash. He’s in a tier of his own
I'm not saying Dixie is as important as Peach I'm just saying she is DK's Peach.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So, assuming this Raccoon guy isn't about to be banished to the Nightmare Dimension for the equivalent of kicking over a bucket of water, another thing that potentially supports a shadowdrop at some point is that Season 2 hasn't had its "But, Wait, There's More" moment yet. Like I showed in my last post, we got several for Smash 4 and Ultimate and, in truth, they all have had somewhat predictable intervals: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end.

Smash 4 beginning: Lucas and more DLC because it was hard implied that Mewtwo would be it.

Smash 4 middle: Not only Ryu but brand new stages and music.

Smash 4 end: Technically Bayo and the reveal that the Smash Ballot actually did play a role in deciding content.

Fighter's Pass beginning: Plant was actually announced after the announcement of the Fighter's Pass.

Fighter's Pass middle: Premium costumes and more DLC.

Fighter's Pass end: a full ass second season.

This said, making a tinfoil hat the size of the bearskin hats of Her Majesty's Royal Guard, we're technically still "due" our "But, Wait, There's More" moment for the beginning of Season 2 based on past precedent.
I'm willing to bet big money that it won't just be shadow dropped. Like, at all. They're gonna make an announcement at least a day prior.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Potential Scenario

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate shadow drop full on Smash Direct announced in the morning, to be broadcasted later on the afternoon/evening. Contents of said Smash Direct:
  • Starts off by finally revealing the ARMS character(s). Soon after they go into detail about their stage, music, and accompanying Mii Costumes.
  • After that is shown, we reach the mid-point section of the Direct with the SSBU logo (the lines crossing) showing up on the screen like with past Ultimate newcomers. [Insert reveal trailer for Crash Bandicoot]. Crash is revealed as CP 7, and an estimated release date is confirmed.
  • Following CP 7's reveal, it is revealed that a new mode will be coming to SSBU with the upcoming 8.0 update. [Select between a personalized Break the Targets either by character, or by franchise; a personalized Race to the Finish by character or franchise; an expansion to WoL]. They go a bit into detail with the upcoming mode.
  • As the presentation is about to end, the SSBU logo shows up on screen again. [Insert reveal trailer for Geno]. Geno is revealed as CP 8, and an estimated release date is confirmed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember to not go full salt mode should the ARMS rep(s) not be the one you wanted as the fighter.
Also, we should try to keep the thirst of news in the near future in control to avoid more drama storms brewing.

Screenshot_20200613-105735_YouTube.jpg
Source for image: Click here

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm not saying Dixie is as important as Peach I'm just saying she is DK's Peach.
If anything, you could make the argument that Dixie Kong is the most influential Donkey Kong character in DK64. She was a playable protagonist in two of the three games. More than the titular character could say. There is a reason why people clamor for Dixie because it just feels like one of the most blatant omissions in Smash Bros. Whether people would prefer seeing her as an echo to Diddy or her own individual character almost everyone can agree that Dixie Kong just feels like such a missing piece in terms of characters. Gotta stick up for my fellow SNES characters. They make a whole lot more sense compared to 3rd party characters that already have their influence tapped into thousands of different forms of media. (Steve/ Sora)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm willing to bet big money that it won't just be shadow dropped. Like, at all. They're gonna make an announcement at least a day prior.
Something else to note is that all the "surprise" announcements have always been part of other presentations. In order for Racoon Guy's prediction to be true, it would have to literally be the first true Smash shadowdrop ever. With this in mind, any sort of "Plant" type announcement likely wouldn't happen until the Smash presentation anyways.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wonder, would Kirby's Geno hat be just the hat and curls, or would his face take on a more wooden texture as well on top of that?

Firox

Smash Master
I wonder, would Kirby's Geno hat be just the hat and curls, or would his face take on a more wooden texture as well on top of that?
I'm betting it would just be the hat and curls. That said, wouldn't it be funny if Geno's neutral B was Geno Beam so Kirby's stubby little arm transforms into a wand?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If anything, you could make the argument that Dixie Kong is the most influential Donkey Kong character in DK64. She was a playable protagonist in two of the three games. More than the titular character could say. There is a reason why people clamor for Dixie because it just feels like one of the most blatant omissions in Smash Bros. Whether people would prefer seeing her as an echo to Diddy or her own individual character almost everyone can agree that Dixie Kong just feels like such a missing piece in terms of characters. Gotta stick up for my fellow SNES characters. They make a whole lot more sense compared to 3rd party characters that already have their influence tapped into thousands of different forms of media. (Steve/ Sora)
Yeah, but Dixie Kong wasn't in DK64. I feel like that really screwed her over as a lot of N64 Rareware fans I would say don't appreciate her as much. If she was in DK64 her popularity might have been akin to K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie's today.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Regardless of how things were handled in the past with Smash, it’s possible that any announcement for it could be shadow dropped.

It’s already evident that Nintendo is taking a different approach to how they are releasing information during this time so Smash may not be all that different.
Especially considering we may not get another fighter reveal, and they are essentially just giving more details for something they’ve already announced.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
20200618_103603.jpg

(Found this art on Twitter, thought the thread would be interested! I always like gathering art for you guys and gals.)

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Dixie Kong wasn't in DK64. I feel like that really screwed her over as a lot of N64 Rareware fans I would say don't appreciate her as much. If she was in DK64 her popularity might have been akin to K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie's today.
Dixie on hiatus in her series, was considered for Brawl.
Dixie active in her series, so far skipped over in 4 and Ultimate.

......I don't get it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just because disney and square is pushing KH doesnt mean sora is coming to smash. We need to stop this train of thought, or at least reconize its not a garunteed sogn for smash inclusion. Joker got in with absolutely no pushing towards nintendo. Terry had no pushing close to his reveal. Banjo only had some toys being announced. ARMS had no pushing before its reveal. The only ones were Hero and Byleth.

So we cannot look at these things and just assume it means smash.
The point I was making wasn't "holy **** guys, Sora's a-comin'" but that there's enough going on to support that it's not farfetched and Sora fans aren't deluded for making note of these things. Same goes for Rayman, Lloyd, Crash, and, of course, us. Yes, I posted the meme "not everything relates to Smash" but it's not hat on ass crazy to think it MIGHT because, like I said, all these characters currently have situations similar to what Banjo did in 2018 so there's precedent.

I feel like this often gets lost in speculation but speculation is essentially pattern recognition and making predictions based on information. The more correct and conclusive information you have, the likely predictions are to be correct. People still chastise me for my predictions for 5 buy I made my predictions based on the information I had. Conclusions were drawn based on what I had actually gotten my hands on and that's more or less the scientific process in a nutshell. You use the information you have to make prediction models and, if they're right, congrats you likely had all the relevant pieces you needed and it was correct but if it isn't, it's likely because you're missing information, some information is flat out wrong, or both. 15 years of doing this and speculation is a process. It's basically recreational, inconsequential scientific research at the end of the day.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The point I was making wasn't "holy **** guys, Sora's a-comin'" but that there's enough going on to support that it's not farfetched and Sora fans aren't deluded for making note of these things. Same goes for Rayman, Lloyd, Crash, and, of course, us. Yes, I posted the meme "not everything relates to Smash" but it's not hat on ass crazy to think it MIGHT because, like I said, all these characters currently have situations similar to what Banjo did in 2018 so there's precedent.
The standards are kind of different there to be honest. One is a dead character who was basically only kept alive from smash demand who hadn't received a game in a decade and hadn't received a good one in even longer. Combine that with how weird it was that even though they had all that time to do it, but specifically did it in 2018 when they were even less relevant, it is bound to raise a few eyebrows. That or it meant nothing.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
speculation is a process. It's basically recreational, inconsequential scientific research at the end of the day.
Pretty much yeah. We do it cause it's fun. Some people love to analyze stuff and I don't think we need an excuse to do it. It's been normalized in sports and politics to speculate on trades or VP picks but people still haven't come around to the broader idea that analysis and speculation can be a form of entertainment.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The standards are kind of different there to be honest. One is a dead character who was basically only kept alive from smash demand who hadn't received a game in a decade and hadn't received a good one in even longer. Combine that with how weird it was that even though they had all that time to do it, but specifically did it in 2018 when they were even less relevant, it is bound to raise a few eyebrows. That or it meant nothing.
Are we talking about Banjo here? Banjo's copyright stuff was a huge deal because it not only covered the old games themselves but brand new merchandise. Dead franchise getting new legal rights to sell stuff like T-shirts and plushes is definitely a red flag. Rayman and Tales have both gotten the same thing recently too. It shows that their respective companies have big plans in the not too distant future although, yes, that doesn't mean it's absolutely involves Smash.

I want to repeat why looking at this stuff is important and refer specifically to Crash Bandicoot's current situation. Like I said back in 2019, several of my contacts said Crash was eventually coming to Smash because Activision accidentally leaked a document online in the summer of 2019 that mapped out his next three years. Many were incredulous but then, I believe in March, I found this article from early 2018 supporting that this mysterious document actually existed and shared it here:

https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-a...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

Again, Crash's situation is almost a carbon copy of Banjo's: starting with a copyright leak, followed by merch leaks, followed by new game appearances.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I feel like this often gets lost in speculation but speculation is essentially pattern recognition and making predictions based on information. The more correct and conclusive information you have, the likely predictions are to be correct. People still chastise me for my predictions for 5 buy I made my predictions based on the information I had. Conclusions were drawn based on what I had actually gotten my hands on and that's more or less the scientific process in a nutshell. You use the information you have to make prediction models and, if they're right, congrats you likely had all the relevant pieces you needed and it was correct but if it isn't, it's likely because you're missing information, some information is flat out wrong, or both. 15 years of doing this and speculation is a process. It's basically recreational, inconsequential scientific research at the end of the day.
Oh wasnt calling you out specifically, but just see some people using stuff like that as fact. Look at all those people that are sure a pokemon rep is coming dur to pokemon getting pushed

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Are we talking about Banjo here? Banjo's copyright stuff was a huge deal because it not only covered the old games themselves but brand new merchandise. Dead franchise getting new legal rights to sell stuff like T-shirts and plushes is definitely a red flag. Rayman and Tales have both gotten the same thing recently too. It shows that their respective companies have big plans in the not too distant future although, yes, that doesn't mean it's absolutely involves Smash.

I want to repeat why looking at this stuff is important and refer specifically to Crash Bandicoot's current situation. Like I said back in 2019, several of my contacts said Crash was eventually coming to Smash because Activision accidentally leaked a document online in the summer of 2019 that mapped out his next three years. Many were incredulous but then, I believe in March, I found this article from early 2018 supporting that this mysterious document actually existed and shared it here:

https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-a...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

Again, Crash's situation is almost a carbon copy of Banjo's: starting with a copyright leak, followed by merch leaks, followed by new game appearances.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. You can't exactly say a new trademark for a relevant and iconic character is suspicious in a similar way to a pair of dead characters who were suspiciously getting used again right around the time the DLC was selected.

Obviously it doesn't conclusively mean Smash but the circumstances are different here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, by all current factors:

-We're probably getting a general Smash presentation next Thursday.

-Because of the fact that it's a June presentation, it's all but guaranteed to have multiple reveals.

-Because this presentation is the first of Season 2, it's pretty likely to have a "But Wait, There's More" moment that will reveal content we weren't originally told about or expecting.

Hold fast, comrades. The wind is in our sails and the end is in sight. Don't go crazy just yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom