• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'll honestly say Tuesday just so nothing will be pulverized by Pokemon and to.be optimistic until it isn't in the end.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'll honestly say Tuesday just so nothing will be pulverized by Pokemon and to.be optimistic until it isn't in the end.
Pokemon doesn’t seem to be in a position to pulverize anything but itself right now. I do agree that we wont get Smash news on the same day as pokemon dlc releases though, but for the opposite reason.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And, honestly, that's kind of the depressing thing about all this is that I've gotten hate mail and death treats because "my predictions were too good." Seriously... here's an example. Also, this is not the real @Spatulo . This was somebody pretending to be him in an attempt to stalk me a few months ago:
How pathetic that someone was stalking you like that. A good, smart person would know that was not Splatuo. Not to sound mean here, but if they want to stalk people just because of their theories and beliefs, I say they lack a life. There are better things they could be doing instead of that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We've had announcements for games/DLC come out on the same week as other game/DLC releases before, so I don't think Pokemon would be that highly effected

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Pokemon doesn’t seem to be in a position to pulverize anything but itself right now. I do agree that we wont get Smash news on the same day as pokemon dlc releases though, but for the opposite reason.
I kind of think they'd try to keep it before Pokemon. If the presentation is already done I think they would probably want to push it out asap

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I kind of think they'd try to keep it before Pokemon. If the presentation is already done I think they would probably want to push it out asap
Agreed. Nintendo commonly seems to “go last” at E3 and wait until everyone else shows their hand first. Now that Sonys big reveal is out of the way, I’d be (somewhat) surprised if we don’t get something early next week

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokemon and Smash are huge IP's for Nintendo. It makes sense to give them separate days. They're both going to do amazing well on their own.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
For the sake of theory crafting, I could see a potential trailer/reveal for Smash before the Pokemon release date is if the ARMS rep is not released the day of, like another week or at the end of the month if the trailer drops. It can also lead to a reveal of FP7, which is again down the road anyway. That way, there is not "conflicting" play time/purchases of whatever.

So either platforms won't affect one another. The "Smash" reveal would be like "Here is what is coming in a week or two" while the Pokemon DLC is "You can play this right now!" kind of vibe.

So yeah, could be possible. No one's ballon is really deflated.

Need to know this ARMS rep. Plus, I can be roasted for this, but looking forward to the Pokemon DLC. Got a shiny slowpoke and curious what it will look like evolved. (please no one spoil it if it's been leaked or whatever.)

But mostly need to see the ARMS Rep. Will it be exciting (promotion), disappointing (no promotion) or meh, ok!?

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be real, really wasn't digging the boss designs revealed in the new Paper Mario nor the fact that "there are toads everywhere!".

If anything, it's reminded me how much I love Super Mario RPG for the sheer amount of creative unique characters and how much life it brought to the game and the world. All the Super Mario RPG OCs just ooze that 90s charm in design and quirkiness. The first three Paper Mario games continued the trend of new quirky races but it's a shame to see it now boil down to "toad, generic enemy and big craft object".

MattX20

Smash Hero
Smash Bros Ultimate is currently the second highest selling game for the Switch with nearly 19 million copies as of March of this year. I've a hard time believing Sakurai and Nintendo want this last season of DLC to fail spectacularly, and they know that interest will wane if they don't get those reveals out ASAP.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Smash Bros Ultimate is currently the second highest selling game for the Switch with nearly 19 million copies as of March of this year. I've a hard time believing Sakurai and Nintendo want this last season of DLC to fail spectacularly, and they know that interest will wane if they don't get those reveals out ASAP.
Is it possible for them to really even fail? We have 0 idea of how much making the DLC cost, but I'm willing to bet that the two options Nintendo has are:
A. Make a lot of money (this happens if they don't reveal things that fast).
B. Make a LOT of money (if they have some BIG hitters in the pass).

I doubt Nintendo is really even worried at all about the sales of this pass. It'll probably be lower then the last pass, but it'll still rake in cash. The fanbase is dedicated enough to support itself.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And, honestly, that's kind of the depressing thing about all this is that I've gotten hate mail and death treats because "my predictions were too good." Seriously... here's an example. Also, this is not the real @Spatulo . This was somebody pretending to be him in an attempt to stalk me a few months ago:

View attachment 274580
This is some next level bull****! No one deserves to be harassed like this especially you Fatman. I can't wait for the trolls to get angry and upset when Geno get's in because they deserve to suffer.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, about that playlist thing, whatever the last remaining private video is, how much you wanna bet that it won't be revealed until next week at this rate?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know people are kind of cynical about Season 2 but, damn, the Fighter's Pass had literally one super wanted character and it still kicked ass. Now Sakurai describes Season 2 as extravagant/ luxurious/ totally ***** **** McGee (a direct quote) and now people are like "oh, they're just going to half ass it to the moon and back." I mean... the Dude ™ flat out admitted that they were originally only going to do one or two post pass characters but then said "**** it, let's do six whole packs that chars their nards and blows their minds." I think too many people are still suffering from PBS (post Byleth syndrome) to acknowledge that Season 2 is likely to go significantly harder with fan service than the Fighter's Pass did.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I know people are kind of cynical about Season 2 but, damn, the Fighter's Pass had literally one super wanted character and it still kicked ass. Now Sakurai describes Season 2 as extravagant/ luxurious/ totally ***** **** McGee (a direct quote) and now people are like "oh, they're just going to half ass it to the moon and back." I mean... the Dude ™ flat out admitted that they were originally only going to do one or two post pass characters but then said "**** it, let's do six whole packs that chars their nards and blows their minds." I think too many people are still suffering from PBS (post Byleth syndrome) to acknowledge that Season 2 is likely to go significantly harder with fan service than the Fighter's Pass did.
That hinges on when the next reveal is I guess although I would like to see the ARMS character as we still don't know the identity of a pass starter which fully went on sale nearly half a year ago.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Byleth being the last character reveal for nearly 5 months has soured quite a few moods, and I'm hoping that FP7 and FP8 will break that and bring hype/optimism back

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Please Sakurai/Nintendo ... bring balance to the Smash Force.

*FP 6 is Master Mummy and FP 7 is Para-Troopa*

No! You were suppose to bring balance, not destroy it!

D

Deleted member

I have no idea when the ARMS character will be at this point. But let’s just keep an eye open it’ll happen soon.

As far as the Fighters pass Vol 2. I’m excited I will be happy whoever gets in If Geno and Crash are in that’s going to be perfect. Even if another fighting character like Heihachi or Scorpion get in I’d be happy because I like those kinds of characters. But we’ll see it go swing ether way meaning could be bad or good. I think it will be good but we just have to wait and see.

I’m just getting Banjo & Kazooie and Geno if he’s in myself but hopefully it’s good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Byleth being the last character reveal for nearly 5 months has soured quite a few moods, and I'm hoping that FP7 and FP8 will break that and bring hype/optimism back
Byleth soured my mood, as did ARMs. Plant murdered my mood. I'm honestly still irritated Plant is in. I've also not bought pass 1, only Joker and Banjo individually. Aside from Banjo, I wasn't really excited about the pass at all.

That being said, yup. FP7 and beyond had better be Banjo levels of hype or I wont buy this one, either. If they add Geno, I'll buy both passes immediately to signal Nintendo that they finally did something right.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, even with the characters themselves aside, I just think the pass is a great deal regardless of who it is. An entire new character with a playstyle never seen before, a new stage to both play and compete on, and, at the very least, a good number of new tracks to accompany them, if not brand new remixes as long as your name isn't Koichi "I'm genuinely not a good human being" Sugiyama. All for, what, a fast food trip worth of money each? For more entertainment than a number of full 60 dollars games won't even give me?

Even if I don't like the character, which hasn't been the case so far outside of Byleth and Arms slightly underwhelming me, I'd be fine with it. New content for a reasonable price.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I found this cool SMRPG Slope Banjo-Kazooie remix on Youtube and the song fits right in nicely in the game:

I imagine Banjo running up the slope and than getting hit by a barrel and getting knocked back and than saying "WOOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Firox

Smash Master
First of all, honest question, where did Sakurai say that this pass was going to "char our nards"? LOL But seriously, you know what I mean. When did he say it was going to be hyper fan service?

Secondly, I wouldn't say Byleth is the only reason a lot of people are skeptical. I think an ever bigger "uuuuhh, what exactly are we in for?" is the fact that they LEAD with an ARMS character. Not to say ARMS doesn't have its own merit, but I'd hardly call such a pick "SUPER MEGA ULTRA FAN SERVICE". To argue that it is only makes me more skeptical as to what the general public deems as "fan service". Was Piranha Plant fan service? Would Goomba be fan service? I personally see things like Geno, Isaac, Doomguy, Shadow, Master Chief, Sora, Sephiroth, Crash, Sypro, Dante, Travis Touchdown, etc. etc. fan service due to the fact that each has a fairly significant legacy and fan following. I'm not gonna lie, if fighter 7 isn't ANY of the characters I listed above (or least legitimately on par with them) then I'm gonna have to fall into the "sorely disappointed" category.

Nintendo: "Don't underestimate my power!!"

Fans: "No, don't try it!"

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Arms character isn't a great start if they're trying to communicate that that is gonna be some super fan-pleasing pass. One or two seems reasonable, though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

View attachment 274580
Ah, but buddy, you're wrong. This isn't bad at all.

Remember, we Geno fans are the bad ones for daring to like a character that's been tossed to the wayside for too long. That's much grander a sin than harassment, doxxing, and endangerment. Didn't you get the memo?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Let's not put words into Sakurai's mouth, the most he said was that this pass was "extra" (I think); that has a ton of potential implications. It could mean that this pass will blow our minds away. It could just mean that this pass is "extra" in the way that it contains characters/series that Sakurai/Nintendo wanted to include in the original game/fighter pass but couldn't prioritize at the time. There is precedent for this conclusion too, as the first character is going to be an ARMS one (which would have gotten in originally if it wasn't too late).

But in the end, again, being "extra" doesn't really tell us much. Sakurai/Nintendo has shown they already want a wide variety of characters in Smash not just the most "popular/demanded/known". Also, I don't really think we should take everything Sakurai says in interviews too literally, he's already complained that people often take his words/comments too seriously at times and has decided that he's going to avoid talking about other games, due to Smash speculation. He isn't leaving hints in interviews.

That's not to say that this pass can't be filled with huge characters, just that there is nothing really indicating it is. I would still expect it to head the way of the first pass, some fan demanded characters, some older characters, a shill pick, and some characters that couldn't really make it in originally due to being late(like ARMS).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Arms character isn't a great start if they're trying to communicate that that is gonna be some super fan-pleasing pass. One or two seems reasonable, though.
On that note, that's why it's so weird. Mewtwo and Joker kicked off their respective seasons. BOOM, instant buy for a lot of people. ARMS doesn't have that same energy and part of why I think there's some sort of twist to kick off Season 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On that note, that's why it's so weird. Mewtwo and Joker kicked off their respective seasons. BOOM, instant buy for a lot of people. ARMS doesn't have that same energy and part of why I think there's some sort of twist to kick off Season 2.
...Smash 4 had no "Seasons". Mewtwo was a bonus character in the same way as PP was. Both meant to be unique bonus DLC. Only difference is Mewtwo was actually told to us he was impossible for base. PP was more suggested to be for DLC.

I mean, you could say it had 2 if you want to stretch it, but Lucas/Ryu/Roy were Season 1 and Bayonetta/Cloud/Corrin were Season 2 overall if you were to label them. Not in a particular order of release, but they were done with 3 each.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
...Smash 4 had no "Seasons". Mewtwo was a bonus character in the same way as PP was. Both meant to be unique bonus DLC. Only difference is Mewtwo was actually told to us he was impossible for base. PP was more suggested to be for DLC.

I mean, you could say it had 2 if you want to stretch it, but Lucas/Ryu/Roy were Season 1 and Bayonetta/Cloud/Corrin were Season 2 overall if you were to label them. Not in a particular order of release, but they were done with 3 each.
Okay... Fine... Semantics! *jazz hands* Mewtwo kicked off DLC for Smash 4; that's the takeaway. Joker kicked off the Fighter's Pass. Even if we just call Mewtwo a "bonus" like Plant, Lucas was then Smash 4's equivalent of Joker. Either way, the Smash ”"""""""""""seasons"""""""""""" were kicked off with big name characters with a decent amount of fanfare while ARMS was just... ARMS.

D

Deleted member

Fans: Nintendo would not have a bad character would they?
Nintendo: Wanna bet?
Fans: *Nervous sweat drop.*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay... Fine... Semantics! *jazz hands* Mewtwo kicked off DLC for Smash 4; that's the takeaway. Joker kicked off the Fighter's Pass. Even if we just call Mewtwo a "bonus" like Plant, Lucas was then Smash 4's equivalent of Joker. Either way, the Smash ”"""""""""""seasons"""""""""""" were kicked off with big name characters with a decent amount of fanfare while ARMS was just... ARMS.
If you use words, you should expect people take them at face value. Season 4 was designed with separated DLC that you could later on buy as bundles. Ultimate doesn't even have actual bundles anymore. All the Mii costumes are stupidly separated. Bundles were very different from the Fighter's Passes, due to how they work.

Anyway, yes, Lucas is pretty much your Joker. Cloud is your ARMS.

But seeing as they have very different design models anyway... yes, ARMS isn't that interesting. It's no Cloud. It's not a veteran. I agree it's eh. I mean, it's kind of cool since it's not a "new worlds" thing(though that's a misinterpretation).

link2702

Smash Champion
so the new origami king video kinda disappointed me the more I looked it over.

Returning partners? GREAT! They seem to only show up randomly in fights? Not so great... The whole world having the paper/cardboard aspect even more apparent? don't really like it. The first two games it was really just mostly the characters who had paper aspects to them. It wasn't so heavily a part of every single design of the game world.

By far the most disappointing thing for me were the boss battles. Aside from rubber band, It looked at least mildly entertaining and funny. But I don't want to fight some stupid roll of tape, or a box of color pencils. It just is too much a reminder of the "thing" items in SS and CS. Where's the crazy characters like Rawk Hawk? Tutankoopa? General Guy? Doopliss? Tubba Blubba?

Some may view these new bosses as "Unique" since after all it's a fight against a literal box of color pencils. But I find them Lazy. If they had taken it a step further and maybe had the box of pencils morph into a humanoid/robot figure transformers style, it might have been a bit more interesting. But nope, it's just literally a box of pencils.

It's time to face the reality, the Paper Mario I knew and loved is dead. Much Like Mario party died at MP4 for me, and Mario Kart Died at MKWii, paper Mario died at Sticker star and it's not coming back.

EDIT: to keep things more smash and Geno focused, I think it's time to accept that we won't see any reveal until at the very latest, next monday.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Lol, when it comes to DLC, Smash 4 did kinda better to start things off. Smash 4 did Mewtwo, a large fan request of a returning veteran. Ultimate? Piranha Plant.

(Please know Ultimate is fantastic and is truly the “Ultimate” Smash experience. Just looking at it as “first” DLC character wise. We can play Symantecs of it all, but just looking at “literally” was DLC)

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I totally get what you are getting at bro.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Occasionally on Geno's stage, Mallow will appear and sometimes wander into the foreground. If he is struck by a strong enough attack, he will cry and make it start raining, which causes slippery platforms along with high winds.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo already said "this is the design we're going with" when talking about Color Splash. The classic Paper Mario formula was already gone. People should've accepted that ages ago. When it was outright said. It was going to be unique and focus more on mechanics than experience itself. FP and Badges were pretty much dropped by Super Paper Mario, but there was always a loose form of experience and consumables anyway. You can get PP back as quickly as you can Stickers. I'm not saying this is a good route. Though I think the Badges weren't well-designed to begin with(a fun idea, but I felt they handled the Pixls way better).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom