• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I just wanna see the @TerminalMontage video response to the reveal. I'm feeling either a "... neat. c:" or "*inaudible screeching that blows out everyone's ears and speakers/headphones*". Possibly both.

I'll probably lose my voice for a day or two. I think I did for BK's, but I also stayed up all night cuz I couldn't sleep, haha.
I'm putting my money on the inaudible screeching that blows our ears out. That seems to be his trademark.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm putting my money on the inaudible screeching that blows our ears out. That seems to be his trademark.
That's half of it. The other half is extremely underwhelming responses to things that should probably have bigger reactions. Both of which are just great though which is why he's one of only TWO out of all my subscriptions that I actually "rang the bell" for.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
I just wanna see the @TerminalMontage video response to the reveal. I'm feeling either a "... neat. c:" or "*inaudible screeching that blows out everyone's ears and speakers/headphones*". Possibly both.

I'll probably lose my voice for a day or two. I think I did for BK's, but I also stayed up all night cuz I couldn't sleep, haha.

I always had an idea that there would be a "Something about: How Geno got into Smash bros." If geno ever got in.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

I’d love to see a sequel video to his Moonlight Sonata one. Not sure how that would work exactly, but considering the context behind it, it would come full-circle and be kinda cool

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Man, as June comes closer and closer, so does the feeling of dread and tension to see if the Arms rep is potentially make or break for us, and if all the support will ultimately pay off. With multiple pieces of evidence stacking up over time until now, it really feels like Geno’s fate is upon us.

Also completely unrelated, but it’s my birthday!
:starman::starman::starman:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Something I'm not seeing a lot of people bring up is the absence of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the SNES Online. If the rumors for a new Donkey Kong platformer are real, maybe they're holding them off until it's revealed/released, like how we're thinking Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars will coincide with Geno's inclusion?

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Or maybe it'll be a counterpart to his Geno conspiracy video, except he's hyperactively explaining to a group of increasingly concerned bystanders all of the bread crumbs that lead up to his reveal, I dunno. Either way, it's gonna be great.

That loud?! Jesus man, that's crazy.

Man, as June comes closer and closer, so does the feeling of dread and tension to see if the Arms rep is potentially make or break for us, and if all the support will ultimately pay off. With multiple pieces of evidence stacking up over time until now, it really feels like Geno’s fate is upon us.
Every reveal is pretty tense, to be honest. Easily the most tense part is every Mii Costume wave.

Happy birthday, good sir! :pumpkin:

Something I'm not seeing a lot of people bring up is the absence of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the SNES Online. If the rumors for a new Donkey Kong platformer are real, maybe they're holding them off until it's revealed/released, like how we're thinking Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars will coincide with Geno's inclusion?
I'm guessing it'd be for a new game. Either that or a collection with the trilogy plus 64.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
My personal bet on the ARMS rep (since I haven't made it known), is Min Min. This is due to her popularity, at least that's my reasoning. Which is exciting for you guys because that gosh darn "Spirits deconfirm" rule could finally die. And once that rule dies, all of those Geno haters and detractors are gonna have to hold that certain letter
IMG_20200211_112337.jpg

(Though who am I kidding, detractors will always move the goalpost...)

QQS

Smash Lord

happy birthday! May Geno joins the battle for all of us!

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
VGA 2018 and 2019 were so boring, but at least I will give VGA 2018 some credit for actually being worth it since I was beyond hyped for the CTR: NF reveal, and I didn't expect us getting a Smash reveal their, and Joker from Persona 5 no less. But VGA 2019 has no excuse. No announcement from Nintendo at all and a huge waste of my time. I was at least hoping Smash would win GOTY, but even that didn't happen. Even if their is a damn good chance we could get a reveal at the 2020 VGA, I will still probably skip it and be surprised online. I don't wanna be disappointed this year like I was with last year's TGA
This year's VGA was a complete waste of bandwidth to watch. This year I wont watch even if we 100% know there's going to be a Smash reveal, or another equally hype reveal.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
This year's VGA was a complete waste of bandwidth to watch. This year I wont watch even if we 100% know there's going to be a Smash reveal, or another equally hype reveal.
Agreed. I could count the number of games reveals I actually liked on one hand, and aside from that shark game I can't remember a single reveal worth a damn. Ah well, at least Green Day was good.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Happy birthday! May Geno grant your wishes

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
Y’all I can’t stop thinking of geno being in and seeing so many people be happy and finally satisfied, I will genuinely be dissapointed if he’s just a mii costume

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It's pretty crazy that we might be only 2 weeks away from Geno's potential confirmation.
Here's hoping. (And if we don't get FP7 , I'm seriously going to be worried lol.)

D

Deleted member

It's pretty crazy that we might be only 2 weeks away from Geno's potential confirmation.
Here's hoping. (And if we don't get FP7 , I'm seriously going to be worried lol.)
If Geno is not in, he’s probably too op and cool for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Oh dear I just realized if ARMS rep is Hero/Bowser Jr situation that could be a lot more amiibo I would want when I'm already way behind. I didn't even like ARMS but the aesthetic is so amazing I would want amiibo for those characters unless it's Max Brass he's a boring boi.

Here's to hoping we get a Geno amiibo cuz I need that in my life far more than any other gaming memorabilia. If we don't get amiibo I might actually have to order one of those custom figures or plushes or all the above.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I was catching up with the thread, and I was reading about the stuff Geno would bring with him if he got added (like spirits, songs, etc.) and I had a bit of an idea.

What if Square Enix used Geno to not only add more SMRPG content to Smash, but also more Final Fantasy stuff? It’s no secret Final Fantasy was given the short end of the stick when it comes to representation in Smash, I mean, two songs and only Cloud’s fighter sprit? Seriously?

Well, maybe Square Enix could allow Sakurai to use Geno in Smash, on the condition that alongside some SMRPG songs and spirits, that more Final Fantasy spirits and songs would be added as well. Shoot, you could even consider it FF7 Remake advertising if you want.

This could also be used as a way to entice more people to buy Geno’s challenger pack. “Hey Final Fantasy fans, buy Geno and get more Final Fantasy tracks in the game!”

The downside of this idea is that SMRPG would be getting less content since a portion of it would be Final Fantasy stuff, but we were pretty much expecting two tracks anyways so I can’t see anyone being too mad.

Anyways, just a silly idea I had, definitely not expecting this to be the outcome if (more like when ;)) Geno gets into Smash.
That'd be nice. More FF music would be appreciated- I'd hope for One-Winged Angel, J-E-N-O-V-A, Terra's Theme and Dancing Mad in particular, but FF has such a good catalogue of music.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, was just thinking now that in regards to who the ARMS character(s) might be, whether it be just Springman, or a 4-in-1 a-la Hero (with Springman, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min), I now see the significance of this character kicking off Vol. 2. Not only would it break the "spirits deconfirm" fan rule, but also that for Assist Trophies, and Mii Costumes all in one go. It would be pretty much like Sakurai saying "Oh, so you all thought spirits, ATs, and costumes were a limit? How foolish!" If it does turn out that way, then absolutely all bets are off. Pretty much everyone else would be back in the running (i.e. ATs, spirits, Mii Costumes).

Griselda

Smash Lord
Geno is kind of the only character I want, at this point, I think. I feel it's 99.9% impossible for me to get any Phantasy Star Classic characters (Alis/Alys/Chaz/Nei/Rika) and the only other one I really wanted in base was Shadow. Sure, Shadow -might- still get in if ATs don't mean anything, but I feel that he was so easy to make as an echo in base that he's kinda unlikely. If I had to pick them, I might even swap Shadow for Isaac just because I know he has fans that were also kinda let down. But really, I don't think I'd care who comes alongside Geno as long as they're.. y'know, alongside Geno.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I have a question, do you think we are getting a spirit board today or we aren't getting nothing until the arms character announcement and most likely CP7?

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Man, i remember when the build up from May to June used to be so much fun. Speculating what could happen in E3. **** off Corono, now May and June feel worthless to me.

Then again, it does mean i don't have to worry about beign dissapointed, because i already am with this year.

Hopefully Character #7 cheers us up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
MisterMike MisterMike There's really no need to compile "missing" NSO games because even major insiders have commentated on the most notable ones. Unlike last year, I think people are trying not to be obnoxious with E3 hints and I can respect that. Like I've been hinting at since December, if you reeeeeeeally think about it there's a couple of missing titles, especially if you juxtapose it with the SNES Classic and just leave it at that. Like Jeff Grubb pointed out the other day, SMRPG is one of them and I've been eyebrow wiggling about that forever. Another is DKC and I only bring it up because of Markomaro and the fact one of my guys specifically pointed it out in January, again, to lend credence to Markomaro and show he likely didn't pull his November DK rumor out of his ass.

My theory and my guy's theory was that there was going to be an SNES dump before E3 to hint at things to come but now it's likely the opposite situation: Nintendo doing the dump after E3/June to celebrate the announcements instead. Maybe Nintendo felt like this would be a little too on the nose? I don't know. I also give credence to this because it backs up other things like how even last fall people in my camp were saying that major Kirby and Star Fox 2020 announcements weren't likely and how Nintendo casually dropped not only Kirby Superstar but both SNES Star Fox games too.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
MisterMike MisterMike There's really no need to compile "missing" NSO games because even major insiders have commentated on the most notable ones. Unlike last year, I think people are trying not to be obnoxious with E3 hints and I can respect that. Like I've been hinting at since December, if you reeeeeeeally think about it there's a couple of missing titles, especially if you juxtapose it with the SNES Classic and just leave it at that. Like Jeff Grubb pointed out the other day, SMRPG is one of them and I've been eyebrow wiggling about that forever. Another is DKC and I only bring it up because of Markomaro and the fact one of my guys specifically pointed it out in January, again, to lend credence to Markomaro and show he likely didn't pull his November DK rumor out of his ass.

My theory and my guy's theory was that there was going to be an SNES dump before E3 to hint at things to come but now it's likely the opposite situation: Nintendo doing the dump after E3/June to celebrate the announcements instead. Maybe Nintendo felt like this would be a little too on the nose? I don't know. I also give credence to this because it backs up other things like how even last fall people in my camp were saying that major Kirby and Star Fox 2020 announcements weren't likely and how Nintendo casually dropped not only Kirby Superstar but both SNES Star Fox games too.
There's also the possibility we just don't get them, yeah? With many of them being third party, it's understandable if they (Ninty) wouldn't want to pay Square (and others) a premium on every NSO purchase (unless they've negotiated one-time fees) for each game on the thing. I hope that's not the case, but it's a bit harder to believe we'll get all the good 3rd party SNES games over a 3rd party character in Smash, and with how crappy Ninty has been lately, again, I could see me being disappointed in that regard.

Could also be that they don't want to completely devalue the SNES Classic. Granted the thing's been discontinued and anyone who really gives a crap hacked theirs forever ago (since that thing isn't worth $80 unless you at least hack it).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
In any case, we'll likely find out about the missing SNES titles after the Smash reveals. That's the most likely scenario for it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The SNES Classic is already heavily devalued though, especially in the light of first party franchises. 11 of the 14 are now available for free on the NSO, including Yoshi's Island and Star Fox which weren't available on the Wii or Wii U VC. That said, Nintendo basically torpedoed the value of the SNES Classic literally the day they launched the SNES NSO.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The SNES Classic is already heavily devalued though, especially in the light of first party franchises. 11 of the 14 are now available for free on the NSO, including Yoshi's Island and Star Fox which weren't available on the Wii or Wii U VC. That said, Nintendo basically torpedoed the value of the SNES Classic literally the day they launched the SNES NSO.
Well, until Star Fox 2 is on the NSO, it's value isn't devalued entirely. Plus, the SNES classic has been around for a few years now, so it's not like it was in danger of losing sales at this point. If it happened when the SNES classic launched, then that would've been a problem

D

Deleted member

Just a couple of weeks till the ARMS presentation?

Maybe there is no way to tell for sure.

Regardless June is upon us and at least we got that to look forward to for now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the very least, the reveals I'm more or less confident happening no later than the 11th; it's possible the release date of FP6 will be a week or two later much like Byleth's reveal and release date, but we'll see.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
So I just had a crazy idea that the next sakurai presents will reveal that while the grinch leak was fake, sakurai has made it real. And season 2 +bonuses will fill in the missing characters.( you’re a mean one mr grinch plays in background)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well, until Star Fox 2 is on the NSO, it's value isn't devalued entirely. Plus, the SNES classic has been around for a few years now, so it's not like it was in danger of losing sales at this point. If it happened when the SNES classic launched, then that would've been a problem
Star Fox 2 actually is on Nintendo Switch Online:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given the inconsistent nature of various services, I'd say the SNES Classic's greatest value is long term when NSO is likely discontinued. Game preservation in general is not exactly high priority by many companies, so having a physical system to go back to 20 years from now with all the same games is something notable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As we inch closer to June, I just wanted to bring back up a theory that I had a long time about how Season 2's development is going eerily similar to the Smash 4 DLC.

October 2014/September 2019: Nintendo announces (more) DLC is coming but gives very vague details. With Smash 4, literally just Mewtwo and with Ultimate, simply says more characters are coming but doesn't specify how many. Heavily implies that this is it.

What's interesting is that Sakurai admitted himself that for Smash 4 the plan for DLC was originally just Mewtwo and then Nintendo repeatedly poked him with a stick to convince him to make more. This is why I believe Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were first out of the gate and had no stages and music. The three most wanted cut characters put back in. Simple enough and why I think this was the original plan for Season 2 too: 2 or 3 characters with no stage or music, potentially explaining why Waluigi, Geno, and Lloyd have been heard forever. Once again, coincidentally, these characters also represent the most wanted spirit, AT, and costume upgrades, undeniably getting in because of fan demand just like Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Along with this, all six characters have usable assets the team has used in the past, potentially making it easier to develop them than to start entirely from scratch.

One topic that has been talked about a lot is how Waluigi would even get his own pack and it's always been a stretch. Geno and Lloyd don't have this issue. Even I rationalized Luigi's Mansion 3 stuff with Waluigi despite it being an imperfect fit. ARMS, on the other hand, is very easy to build a pack off of, possibly explaining why Waluigi was often heard for 6 but didn't pan out as an entire pack. The circumstances surrounding Waluigi, however, allowed us to correctly deduce 6 would be first party. This being said, there's three possible outcomes: Waluigi was outright dumped for the ARMS character because he was awkward to make into a full pack, he's simply coming later, or he's coming as a part of 6. Either way, if Waluigi is real we have enough to suggest that he was treated very similarly to Mewtwo and, like Geno, if this theory holds up then he likely will show up on the first half but no later than 9 at the absolute latest.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I will never understand why detractors are a thing in the Smash community. Like, I seriously don't get it. They always act like they know whats gonna happen and that we should move on and let go of our hopes and dreams. Literally every newcomer in Ultimate has been unpredictable in some way. Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo were discussed for years, and THOUSANDS of detractors existed for those characters acting like they would never happen. Before Simon was revealed, people probably would have called him too irrelevant to get in Smash, and literally not a single soul thought Richter would get included along with him. People thought characters like Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom would be too similar to Peach, Samus and another Fire Emblem character to get included. Before Isabelle was revealed, I saw tons of people claim Animal Crossing will not get another rep since Villager was hard to make as is, and if Isabelle were to be anything, she would be an Echo. Instead, she ended up having her own unique moveset. Before many insiders jumped the Incineroar bandwagon, literally every person thought the Gen 7 Pokemon would have been Decidueye. People said Ken wouldn't happen because a third-party franchise can't have more then one playable representative. People would have made fun of you if someone actually considered a Piranha Plant to be an actual playable character. Literally Joker and Terry weren't on anyone's radar at all. A Dragon Quest rep was never brought in to discussion at all for who the next Square rep would be after Cloud until after he was leaked, people thought their were too much FE characters and that the Fighters Pass would be all third-party characters, yet Byleth gets included, and so much people have said that ARMS was never popular and thus is why it will never happen. The only character that I could say was basically inevitable for Ultimate prior to their reveal was Inkling because it was a character from a new Nintendo IP that sold gangbusters. Every other character have been unpredictable in some way and some were widely believed to never happen.

The point I am trying to make is, don't let detractors get to you. Any video game character is possible. If Sakurai wants to include someone like Bubsy the Bobcat, he will include Bubsy the Bobcat. These fan-made rules like the Spirits, Assist Trophy, and Nintendo history rule are just observations and nothing more then that. Just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it will never happen, and Geno will always have a chance, despite what detractors say

zriL

Smash Journeyman
The point I am trying to make is, don't let detractors get to you. Any video game character is possible. If Sakurai wants to include someone like Bubsy the Bobcat, he will include Bubsy the Bobcat. These fan-made rules like the Spirits, Assist Trophy, and Nintendo history rule are just observations and nothing more then that. Just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it will never happen, and Geno will always have a chance, despite what detractors say
What I don't understand about this opinion is that you seem to think this make your most wanted more likely, whoever it is. But that's not case, if anyone is possible, it makes everyone less likely, that's how probability works. That is, unless your most wanted is at the bottom of the barrel.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I will never understand why detractors are a thing in the Smash community. Like, I seriously don't get it.
They're mad their pick probably won't get in, but wooden doll thing or Bear+Bird will, so they lash out at the character because jealousy of the slot being taken by someone they don't want. I kinda get it; I'm actively against plenty of characters, but I don't lash at them at all except Urshifu (that shilled, Kung Fu Panda-lookin' mother******), and does anyone even *want* Urshifu? Didn't think so. That said though, if I saw Sephiroth, I'd be pretty angry *after* the fact, but not so much before the fact. I especially don't get the anger towards new companies/series getting in, over, say, Sephiroth getting in who is both part of an old company and series to Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What I don't understand about this opinion is that you seem to think this make your most wanted more likely, whoever it is. But that's not case, if anyone is possible, it makes everyone less likely, that's how probability works. That is, unless your most wanted is at the bottom of the barrel.
At least they’re not impossible like detractors imply.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
At least they’re not impossible like detractors imply.
"Geno is a spirit, so deconfirmed."
"He's better as a costume because I say so, so deconfirmed."
"He's literally a doll, and Smash 64 only had dolls of actual characters. You can't have a doll of a doll come alive, so deconfirmed."

That last one I made up, but I could honestly see someone use that as an unironic reason why he can't become playable.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
No? I just think Geno has a pretty damn good chance to begin with. I want Crash just as much, but I personally do not think he will get included due to reasons I have stated in the past. Realistically, anyone and anything is possible.

They're mad their pick probably won't get in, but wooden doll thing or Bear+Bird will, so they lash out at the character because jealousy of the slot being taken by someone they don't want. I kinda get it; I'm actively against plenty of characters, but I don't lash at them at all except Urshifu (that shilled, Kung Fu Panda-lookin' mother******), and does anyone even *want* Urshifu? Didn't think so. That said though, if I saw Sephiroth, I'd be pretty angry *after* the fact, but not so much before the fact. I especially don't get the anger towards new companies/series getting in, over, say, Sephiroth getting in who is both part of an old company and series to Smash.
Yeah this. I will admit, I kinda didn't want Minecraft Steve to get included over Banjo, but at least I didn't make up reasons why it will never happen or tell Steve supporters to give up. I would have been disappointed at the outcome, but I would have moved on afterward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom