• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
People who are hating Banjo's inclusion because not a lot of play him due to his playstyle goes over my head.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Game of all Time, but that term already includes GOTY haha. So it’s basically the same.
Greatest
Of
All
Time

Or a game about goats, depending on how you're using it in a sentence.
Gotcha. Never heard of the term before; I assume it's only been used on games that are honestly overrated and don't deserve that title (Zelda: OoT being the biggest offender of it)?

let me try to summarize the history:

-August 2018: Geno is part of the Seven Squares leak.

-November 2018: NoA ambassador friend says Geno in Smash is an ongoing rumor at NoA.

-July 2019: Mii Costume Guy leaks Banjo's Mii costumes and the SMRPG costumes. I leak the starling picture.

-August 2019: NoA ambassador shares with us that he believes that the starling pertains to Geno but believes it's a disconfirmation but there was no way to confirm it one way or the other. Insiders are very confident that there will be at least 2-3 more characters after the Fighter's Pass at this point.

-November 2019: Cacomallow happens. 3 of my 4 main contacts believe it's real based on what they know.

-Early December 2019: My contacts make their predictions for 5 and 6. The one with the best overall Nintendo record guesses Geno for 6 based on what he knew.

-Late December 2019: Contact teases on Christmas Eve that several major missing SNES Online games will likely be tied to major E3 announcements. Later in January names Donkey Kong Country as one of them.

I think that's everything regarding Geno concerning insiders I have interacted with since November 2018.
Thank you bb, I really appreciate that :) Didn't hear about the November part as that's pretty cool. Nothing specific to add to the list, but I'm glad I asked and will be posting about it in the extra notes.

A hairy man. :ultwario:
Just. Wow.

Maybe <ME; FFS I HATE WHEN IT DOUBLE-POSTS YOUR NAME IN THE ****ING REPLIES DX> should add it to The List?
Yeah, I'll link back to the post in the extra notes section.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I can’t believe people can hate B-K. I was a kid with 6 or 7 years playing SMRPG and then with 8 or 9 years playing B-K; and those two Are easily the most ambitious wishes on Smash. As I said before, my favorite characters ever are Link & Mega Man, but somehow Mega Man was a matter of time to join the battle cause he is a solid pick like Sonic.

In other hand, seeing Banjo-Kazooie joining the battle was one of the most pretty moments in Smash (and in gaming in general). Following that line, Geno will be the same (and even more for us cause we love Geno). Geno is my most beloved character right now, only Mega Man shares it’s pedestal and also Banjo touches my inner child.

Though, I don’t care nor waste my time taking care of what people do, say or think. Just enjoy the game as you like and be happy. F*ck toxic people. I don’t even play ever a Fire Emblem, Persona, Dragon-Quest and many more franchises and I’m still happy with their inclusion :). In that way, I would be happy if they add Geno and then Sora (though I have never played or want to play KH).

Just be happy, people will always talk but you have to be wise and “choose your battles”.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I started to see the Banjo hate ever since Byleth got in. I feel like it comes from people who were jealous that Banjo was the hypest DLC while Byleth wasn't (not that I hate Byleth but it's more than obvious a bunch of ppl disliked the inclusion) or people who expect DLC characters to have 1000 moves like Hero.
Yeah, I've chalked it up to jealousy too and to "Get back" at the part of the fan base that likes cartoony looking fan requests. It's a very vocal minority, but I don't understand how these people seem to get what they want and still be unhappy.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Incoming Nostradamus Tier Reaching Conspiracy Theories for your enjoyment Genolads!

The other day while thinking about Smash Bros. Ultimate, the upcoming Challenger Packs, what characters I'd like and see more likely, for some unholy reason the concept of a rainbow and it being composed of seven colors clashes with the former. To go even further, toss the significance of the number seven (7) being considered as the number of perfection.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so far could be consider THE perfect Smash Bros. entry within the series and then some. The wide cast of playable fighters, stages, music, gameplay modes. The historic value within this game is almost unfathomable to the connoisseur! Ah yes, the reason of the thoughts of rainbows and the number seven. Thinking more over the colors of the rainbow, of the seven, it could be said that four of these colors of perfection are properly represented with characters of similar importance in Ultimate; these being the following

• Red = Mario (Nintendo)
  • Indigo = Sonic (SEGA)
  • Cyan = Mega Man (Capcom)
  • Yellow = Pac Man (Bandai-Namco)
Curiously enough, knowing that there are still six more fighters incoming (five not counting the ARMS rep), there is still the possibility that characters of similar pedigree may join the roster, and of course, that three of those be the representatives for the remaining colors of the rainbow. Out of the three remaining colors, I could only make an adequate match for the colors orange and violet.

• Orange = Crash (Activision)
  • Violet = Rayman (Ubisoft)
In regards to the color green, I have some names in mind but, can't quite feel sure as to which it would fit most appropriately.

I return to my incessant pondering. :nifty:

P.S. - Hopefully SMRPG stealth drops on the SNES NSO Library some time around the second or third week of June. :starman::starman::starman:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You guys ever feel like the next few weeks of speculation for us will be like the Battle of Helms Deep from the Lord of the Rings the Two Towers?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice so maybe Geno was intended to be #75 or #76 but was intentionally delayed to #77 or further, right?
My thoughts are that Geno was originally envisioned as an extra after the Fighter's Pass until Nintendo said **** it and decided to just go with a full second season. My theory is that after the Fighter's Pass the original plan was to do 2-3 long time fan requests to appease fans but, after the sales Smash Ultimate and the presales of the Fighter's Pass smashed records, they then started to seriously consider a Season 2. I have several reasons why I entertain this:

-Waluigi, Geno, and Lloyd being heard in 2018 even before DLC was known.

-Kamiya doing an official Smash poll shortly after Smash Ultimate announced.

-The 16 dummy slots appearing in January 2019, meaning they already very heavily considered extra characters after the Fighter's Pass.

After Geno's Mii costume was MIA in July, this is why I began theorizing Geno was 76 or 77 because of how early he had been heard.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've chalked it up to jealousy too and to "Get back" at the part of the fan base that likes cartoony looking fan requests. It's a very vocal minority, but I don't understand how these people seem to get what they want and still be unhappy.
Yep and the people who complain about cartoony characters as "cereal mascots" are most likely mad because of the ongoing "anime swordsman" memes and stuff.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yep and the people who complain about cartoony characters as "cereal mascots" are most likely mad because of the ongoing "anime swordsman" memes and stuff.
If anything, I say we could use more "cereal mascots" (even though they are not such a thing, but you all should know what I mean by that) in Smash, despite what some people against the idea would say.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did they comment on SMRPG? This is interesting.

Also, do any of your contacts STILL believe cacomallow is real despite how long it's been?
They just said to pay close attention to the major SNES Online games that were missing. Their belief is that they would be released before E3 as teasers of things to come but that doesn't look like that's going to happen anymore unless it's literally the first week of June. As for Cacomallow, I haven't asked. Last major time I really talked with them was early March before the Mini-Direct. Like I've said a number of times, sometimes things take a long time to pan out and they understand that. For example, that's why one of them hard supports RARE Replay and the Master Chief Collection finally happening this year after first being heard Q1 2019 and why the major Nintendo announcement originally predicted for the VGAs is still likely to happen.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
If anything, I say we could use more "cereal mascots" (even though they are not such a thing, but you all should know what I mean by that) in Smash, despite what some people against the idea would say.
Exactly, it still kinda bugs me how Banjo was the only cartoony character in the FP.

human,human,BEAR,human,human lol

Polarthief

Smash Lord
For example, that's why one of them hard supports RARE Replay and the Master Chief Collection finally happening this year after first being heard Q1 2019 and why the major Nintendo announcement originally predicted for the VGAs is still likely to happen.
I would **** myself if we're legit getting RR. MCC is cool for some people but just not my thing. As for VGA, I really hope that turns out to be false, after last year's absolute disappointment. Total waste of my time and I don't want to be bothered to watch it again >_>;

Do you think that's a planned Smash reveal like Joker was in 2018, or a different kind of announcement? Assuming it turns out to be true, I'm hoping for the former, post-Geno reveal, so I can just watch it not live and be totally fine with the spoiler.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, what are the odds that we'll get some news next week, or at least a hint of something going to happen in regards to Smash?

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal theory is no later than the 11th. Even with E3 cancelled, they probably want to time the reveals close to it since the audiences are hardwired/used to E3 presentations for years now. It's kinda hard to break a habit

Polarthief

Smash Lord
My personal theory is no later than the 11th. Even with E3 cancelled, they probably want to time the reveals close to it since the audiences are hardwired/used to E3 presentations for years now. It's kinda hard to break a habit
On top of that, the Amiibo restocks are on the 12th, so yeah, 9th-11th (2nd week of June) is looking absolutely like the most likely.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Really? Hasn't it been reported and rumored with high chances that a Direct is not going to happen in June?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Really? Hasn't it been reported and rumored with high chances that a Direct is not going to happen in June?
A Sakurai presentation/"direct" of sorts is more or less expected for FP6 along with the reveal of FP7. General directs are definitely dead for now, but specialized ones are still up in the air

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A Sakurai presentation/"direct" of sorts is more or less expected for FP6 along with the reveal of FP7. General directs are definitely dead for now, but specialized ones are still up in the air
So, what makes you think it will happen in the second week of June?

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what makes you think it will happen in the second week of June?
Again, it's just a guess, but E3 2020 was planned to start on the 9th and conclude on the 11th. Along with the amiibo restocks on the 12th, it seems like a plausible time to see one.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Again, it's just a guess, but E3 2020 was planned to start on the 9th and conclude on the 11th. Along with the amiibo restocks on the 12th, it seems like a plausible time to see one.
Um, yeah. Not doubting that, but I hope it is earlier than that. I am hungry for news already.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It should be noted that it's pretty likely we see the first wave of DLC amiibo getting announced during the next Smash direct, they seem to pretty much always reveal their new ones at E3. We might only get images of them but if we get release dates that's actually our best way of guesstimating character releases given how amiibo theory has played out so far.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would **** myself if we're legit getting RR. MCC is cool for some people but just not my thing. As for VGA, I really hope that turns out to be false, after last year's absolute disappointment. Total waste of my time and I don't want to be bothered to watch it again >_>;

Do you think that's a planned Smash reveal like Joker was in 2018, or a different kind of announcement? Assuming it turns out to be true, I'm hoping for the former, post-Geno reveal, so I can just watch it not live and be totally fine with the spoiler.
I do think that the 2020 VGAs will have at least one Smash announcement, yes, even it winds up being online. Covid-19 has disrupted a lot but talk has always been that all three major game companies have big plans for 2020 and Smash at the 2020 VGAs seems like a pretty easy decision.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do think that the 2020 VGAs will have at least one Smash announcement, yes, even it winds up being online. Covid-19 has disrupted a lot but talk has always been that all three major game companies have big plans for 2020 and Smash at the 2020 VGAs seems like a pretty easy decision.
If we do get a VGA reveal, it would most likely be for FP9

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
The VGAs in 2019 was one of the most boring things I’ve ever sat through, so if anything interesting happens in the 2020 one I’ll find out by word-of-mouth here

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I meant I'm hoping it's *just* FP9(?), and post-Geno so I can just not give a crap and hear about it through word of mouth/Nintendo uploading the reveal trailer, since once Geno's revealed, I won't give nearly as much of a crap about spoiler reveals. If it's something more though, ugh. I'd probably have to watch it.

The VGAs in 2019 was one of the most boring things I’ve ever sat through, so if anything interesting happens in the 2020 one I’ll find out by word-of-mouth here
Yeah, exactly.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
You guys ever feel like the next few weeks of speculation for us will be like the Battle of Helms Deep from the Lord of the Rings the Two Towers?
Speculation always heats up right around this time. I sure feel like its gonna be like that too. I love those movies man, thanks for referencing them!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
VGA 2018 and 2019 were so boring, but at least I will give VGA 2018 some credit for actually being worth it since I was beyond hyped for the CTR: NF reveal, and I didn't expect us getting a Smash reveal their, and Joker from Persona 5 no less. But VGA 2019 has no excuse. No announcement from Nintendo at all and a huge waste of my time. I was at least hoping Smash would win GOTY, but even that didn't happen. Even if their is a damn good chance we could get a reveal at the 2020 VGA, I will still probably skip it and be surprised online. I don't wanna be disappointed this year like I was with last year's TGA

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So in this game of Super Mario RPG, which I believe means that its a Mario themed bazooka, please explain to me how you are going to introduce the concept of invisible chests and then have the first official one literally be the hardest of the bunch with a location aspect never used in game ever again, give it a 4 second accessibility and if you miss that ONE chance, you never get another opportunity in game to ever get it.

WHHHHHHHHHYYY.

Thank god for resets and a quick title screen.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I don't know what that means, 'cos I'm not a filthy nerd like YOU! :ultpacman:

They just said to pay close attention to the major SNES Online games that were missing. Their belief is that they would be released before E3 as teasers of things to come but that doesn't look like that's going to happen anymore unless it's literally the first week of June.
Do you think it's worth compiling a list of missing NSO games? Until that kind of cross promotion happens it could help us narrow down who it could be.

Exactly, it still kinda bugs me how Banjo was the only cartoony character in the FP.

human,human,BEAR,human,human lol
It's like this Awkward Zombie comic, "The Beautiful People".
comic375.png

So, what are the odds that we'll get some news next week, or at least a hint of something going to happen in regards to Smash?
I'm not holding my breath.

I'd go as far as the 16th, to be honest. Or at least in terms of a reveal. Release is any time in June.

I think it's also worth mentioning that apparently the Joker reveal at VGAs was decided on the 1st of November that year. If they're planning on a VGA 2020 reveal, I'd imagine that Volcarona wouldn't impede it that much if at all.

So in this game of Super Mario RPG, which I believe means that its a Mario themed bazooka, please explain to me how you are going to introduce the concept of invisible chests and then have the first official one literally be the hardest of the bunch with a location aspect never used in game ever again, give it a 4 second accessibility and if you miss that ONE chance, you never get another opportunity in game to ever get it.

WHHHHHHHHHYYY.

Thank god for resets and a quick title screen.
gitgud scrub lol :ultpacman:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I was catching up with the thread, and I was reading about the stuff Geno would bring with him if he got added (like spirits, songs, etc.) and I had a bit of an idea.

What if Square Enix used Geno to not only add more SMRPG content to Smash, but also more Final Fantasy stuff? It’s no secret Final Fantasy was given the short end of the stick when it comes to representation in Smash, I mean, two songs and only Cloud’s fighter sprit? Seriously?

Well, maybe Square Enix could allow Sakurai to use Geno in Smash, on the condition that alongside some SMRPG songs and spirits, that more Final Fantasy spirits and songs would be added as well. Shoot, you could even consider it FF7 Remake advertising if you want.

This could also be used as a way to entice more people to buy Geno’s challenger pack. “Hey Final Fantasy fans, buy Geno and get more Final Fantasy tracks in the game!”

The downside of this idea is that SMRPG would be getting less content since a portion of it would be Final Fantasy stuff, but we were pretty much expecting two tracks anyways so I can’t see anyone being too mad.

Anyways, just a silly idea I had, definitely not expecting this to be the outcome if (more like when ;)) Geno gets into Smash.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
After the ****show that was last year's VGAs, I'm most certainly gonna pass on watching it live unless we REALLY know if we are going to get good announcements.

Also, yeah I ****ing hate seeing this kind of hate towards Banjo when he is the outlier out of everyone from the first pass (and the only one I actually seriously cared about). As someone who wants to see more Western characters and cartoony and/or wacky characters, base game satisfied me but the first pass didn't. Yes, I got Banjo as one of my most wanted but I essentially payed 25 bucks for one character as I don't even bother playing as the other 4. Lastly, seeing people saying that I should be grateful for getting one character I wanted when those same people got more characters they wanted screams "elitist prick" to me.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Despite Nintendo being kinda off lately and whatnot (some of that reason being the virus), I legitimately still have full confidence in Geno. After all, all of the things for him still stand, right? Fatmanonice's essay still rings true to me! I know things are tough right now (even beyond Nintendo news), but you guys just have to keep holding on. I believe in Geno's chances! After all, as the famous Geno thread meme says...
oh yeah its all coming together geno.png

And Kronk wouldn't lie. So Geno is objectively gonna get in. Sorry haters.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I just wanna see the TerminalMontage TerminalMontage video response to the reveal. I'm feeling either a "... neat. c:" or "*inaudible screeching that blows out everyone's ears and speakers/headphones*". Possibly both.

I'll probably lose my voice for a day or two. I think I did for BK's, but I also stayed up all night cuz I couldn't sleep, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom