• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I feel like Sakurai needs someone to stand around and - if he doesn't want to take breaks - at the very least remind him to drink lots of water. The impression I'm getting is that it's like when I'm sometimes too deep into working on something to remember to eat and then wonder why I feel terrible later - but worse. Maybe it's just a cultural thing.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
what have you guys been doing to stave off the boredom for the supposed general direct?
Been weirdly zen about the drought; usually I'd be climbing the walls

I dunno, I've kind of just had my attention elsewhere really. SU: Future coming back this week means I'll have something to look forward to every week for March so Direct waiting will be easier.

Though if we go ANOTHER month without one, then I think it's time to seriously panic

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I dunno, I've kind of just had my attention elsewhere really. SU: Future coming back this week means I'll have something to look forward to every week for March so Direct waiting will be easier.

Though if we go ANOTHER month without one, then I think it's time to seriously panic
Or write Nintendo a friendly letter asking why the wait. Nah, just kidding! :troll:

But seriously, I do have faith that the Direct will come next week.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If we go longer than the 12th of this month, it's time to panic (for the third time). If we go longer than the 23rd (or more likely, the 19th), guess I'll die.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we go longer than the 12th of this month, it's time to panic (for the third time). If we go longer than the 23rd, guess I'll die.
Die because of no Direct? You're kidding, right? Why die over something like a Direct? It's not gonna be the end of the world.

Whether you are serious or not, I just had to say that.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
If we go anywhere past the 12th of this month, I'll start getting concerned.

It's been proven that this coronavirus isn't effecting any direct as...
1. That rumor has been shot down by many insiders.
2. They would of 100% announced it by now if it was delaying the direct much like what they've been doing.

Like is everything okay over there? I love Nintendo but sometimes, they can be annoying, and I feel like they're waiting till the very last second to have the direct, being the 12th.
Lets just hope and pray.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It's been proven that this coronavirus isn't effecting any direct
I'm honestly annoyed because of this because it means Nintendo is just being Nintendo. Also the reason we *know* it's not coronavirus is that the Pokemon and AC directs seemed to be completely unaffected, as well as Sakurai's video on Byleth. I'd almost prefer if they said it was affecting them, even if it wasn't, because at least the blame would be displaced. Instead, this means they're withholding information for no reason. When we do finally get the direct, instead of "Oh okay. Cool. The direct's here!", it'll be "Ah, ****ing finally, the direct!".

(10 points if anyone got the reference)

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly annoyed because of this because it means Nintendo is just being Nintendo. Also the reason we *know* it's not coronavirus is that the Pokemon and AC directs seemed to be completely unaffected, as well as Sakurai's video on Byleth. I'd almost prefer if they said it was affecting them, even if it wasn't, because at least the blame would be displaced. Instead, this means they're withholding information for no reason and when we do finally get the direct, it'll be "****ing finally, the direct!" instead of "Oh okay, cool, the direct's here!".

(10 points if anyone got the reference)
Should of noted that part.
Yes, they haven't delayed anything, and if they were, the Animal Crossing direct would of 100% not of happened or at the very least, delayed it to Early-March.
This is very much a Nintendo decision that they are waiting to give us a direct.
I believe what they are doing is trying to "build up hype" for the direct but at this point, it's not even building up hype, we're mostly just "Please we just want to know what your line-up is so we can be excited for the company's future.".
I haven't seen anybody get "hyped", at-least not as much as January/February, which sucks in a way.

and no i didn't get the reference damn it

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
If corona virus isn’t causing the delay, only things i can think of is

1) if it’s a smash focused direct maybe they are having trouble implementing the character, some weird bug they can’t fix and that’s why.

2) a general direct, maybe they are having issues with a developer/developers they negotiated with and required some changes to the presentation since it was perhaps heavily focused on that game?

That’s all i got.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I believe what they are doing is trying to "build up hype" for the direct
It's just 100% backfiring hardcore. Quite a hefty stock loss and people now actively pissed off at them to the point where they may even be losing consumers. Definitely *not* something you want to do in a year where your competitors will be releasing new consoles and jumping another generation while you're *still* playing catch-up with consoles from the previous generation, so now you'll be at least 2-if-not-3 generations behind.

(I added the ref to the post for anyone who cares, lol)

1) if it’s a smash focused direct
Just reading those words made me cringe. Please no, we don't need yet another focused direct.

2) a general direct, maybe they are having issues with a developer/developers they negotiated with and required some changes to the presentation since it was perhaps heavily focused on that game?
Edit it out, problem solved. Also why would you ever focus on a game that isn't first party?
No, this is a Nintendo is being Nintendo issue at play.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Can I borrow this for OSF?
Don't know what OSF is, but sure, go right ahead.

You're watching SU Future? Me too! I'm so excited for this show to finally be over and stop making the ho-hum writing even worse.

If we go anywhere past the 12th of this month, I'll start getting concerned.

It's been proven that this coronavirus isn't effecting any direct as...
1. That rumor has been shot down by many insiders.
2. They would of 100% announced it by now if it was delaying the direct much like what they've been doing.

Like is everything okay over there? I love Nintendo but sometimes, they can be annoying, and I feel like they're waiting till the very last second to have the direct, being the 12th.
Lets just hope and pray.
I won't start worrying until we hit the middle of the month. If we hit the end of the month with no Direct, then I'll start panicking.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

I get that feeling, CTR:NF and LoR have been my distractions. Also, is SU future worth watching? Seen all of SU/ the movie but didn't think to jump on.

Also to chime in on the discussion, next direct should be a general one, we have no info on pretty much anything 1st party once AC comes out.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Also, is SU future worth watching? Seen all of SU/ the movie but didn't think to jump on.
The only reason you should watch SU: Future is if you've watched through the previous 5 seasons and movie and are interested in seeing how this story ends. Overall it's pretty bad in terms of writing. I won't go in-depth here about what specifically it does wrong so as not to spoil it, but rest assured, even by Steven Universe standards of writing it's nothing spectacular.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Also, is SU future worth watching? Seen all of SU/ the movie but didn't think to jump on.
If you've followed the series thus far? Absolutely. It's an epilogue that wraps up the few remaining plot threads left after the end of Change Your Mind/The Movie

Ten more episodes and it's done and over, SU as a series ends on the 27th

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Dumb thought: While the announcer and anything voice-wise would refer to him as "Geno", I hope his name in any form of text is "♥♪!?", assuming it's possible to do more than just non-alphanumeric text for names. We already know they can do non-alphanumeric: Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Rosalina & Luma, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie all have non-alphanumeric code (also Pokémon Trainer, at least in English where we don't have accents over letters), so it just depends on if they can do the ♥ and ♪ icons.

Like I said, just a dumb thought, but I would like to see it.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
The only reason you should watch SU: Future is if you've watched through the previous 5 seasons and movie and are interested in seeing how this story ends. Overall it's pretty bad in terms of writing. I won't go in-depth here about what specifically it does wrong so as not to spoil it, but rest assured, even by Steven Universe standards of writing it's nothing spectacular.
If you've followed the series thus far? Absolutely. It's an epilogue that wraps up the few remaining plot threads left after the end of Change Your Mind/The Movie

Ten more episodes and it's done and over, SU as a series ends on the 27th
Sweet! Then I'll watch the eps and see what's up.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Geno may be a side character but Banjo was a side character in Diddy Kong Racing which was his debut game, it doesn't matter if he was intended to have his own series, a DK game is still where he made his first appearance.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Geno may be a side character but Banjo was a side character in Diddy Kong Racing which was his debut game, it doesn't matter if he was intended to have his own series, a DK game is still where he made his first appearance.
Geno wasn't a side character though. He was a main character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
All of you guys keep trying to look for reasons and excuses as to why the General Direct hasn't happened yet.

Meanwhile I've been telling you all it was always planned for March.

One of these days you guys may understand that Nintendo be Nintendo and do things how they feel is best.

Also, frankly, it's only because Nintendo fans are so needy and greedy that you are desperate for this news anyway. We had Pokemon and Smash news in January and Animal Crossing amongst smaller reveals in February.

Breathe, guys.

link2702

Smash Champion
Geno wasn't a side character though. He was a main character.
Heh, I misread your post at first and thought you said he was “THE” main character, was about to make a lengthy post about how he was just “A” main character, right behind mario in importance to the game, but not above him.

In terms of “main characters” in smrpg, it was imo always mario(obviously)>geno>>>>bowser/toadstool>>>>>mallow.

Sorry tadpole cloud prince, you really weren’t super important to the plot of the game like others were. You tagged along to help mario and friends, but you could have easily stayed at tadpole pond and plot wise you wouldn’t have changed much. You weren’t the driving force for Mario’s initial journey(saving toadstool wherever she was at), and you weren’t the major factor in explaining to everyone the importance of fixing the star road and defeating smithy like geno.

Toadstool and bowser...they were really just relevant at the start since bowser once again kidnapping toadstool was the original driving force for Mario’s journey. But that’s still more relevant than mallow.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
All of you guys keep trying to look for reasons and excuses as to why the General Direct hasn't happened yet.

One of these days you guys may understand that Nintendo be Nintendo and do things how they feel is best.

Also, frankly, it's only because Nintendo fans are so needy and greedy that you are desperate for this news anyway. We had Pokemon and Smash news in January and Animal Crossing amongst smaller reveals in February.

Breathe, guys.
Honestly yea, I don't really understand WHY they're waiting until (atleast) March for a general direct, but I think people are jumping to conclusions when in reality when you actually look at what Nintendo is doing it's obvious that the game-specific directs were just meant to tide everyone over to a normal direct like the mini direct in 2018.

As for the last part though? Ehhhhh, It's less about being needy and more about wanting to know literally anything about what is coming out this year. I mean the last general direct really only announced 2 new Switch games, Deadly Premonition 2, a sequel to a super niche cult classic that had never even been on a Nintendo console until that direct, and the Xenoblade remake, which isn't even really a new game and this isn't even the first time it's been ported. Game Awards came and went with no first-party announcement for the first time and the only Switch reveals were gameplay for No More Heroes 3 (cool) and Bravely Default 2 (also cool), but nothing really super exciting, and neither of those games have really solid release dates outside of just 2020, and even in the trailer Suda 51 made it clear they aern't sure they're going to make that.

Then you go to January and what you get is the announcement of a Mystery Dungeon remake, which is cool but it also comes out in two days, and 30 dollar DLC to a game that already felt super underwhelming, undercooked, and unfinished at release. Is it better than them releasing an entirely new version? Yea, but that isn't exactly a hard thing to do and still feels really scummy. Then we get the Smash reveal, and Byleth and the general reaction around them speak for themselves. I know people act like "Waaah the Smash Community is never satisfied with anything" but honestly if they had revealed even someone like Hayabusa instead I don't think people would be acting quite as impatient as they are for number 6. And then a month later there's just Animal Crossing, which is great for people who like Animal Crossing and does nothing for anyone else.

The fact is, we still know absolutely nothing about the Switch's 2020 releases past March bar a remake and a couple third party games that may not even be out this year. I'm just genuinely confused why Nintendo is taking so long.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the rest of the crew, what have you guys been doing to stave off the boredom for the supposed general direct?
I've been flirting with the idea of slipping on a bar of soap and getting knocked out cold just long enough where I don't have to endure boredom and the Direct is about to start. I'll care about the throbbing headache afterwards.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Breathe, guys.
I look at this thread and rarely ever see any posts that are actually escalated. But I see a dozen posts a day telling everyone they need to calm down.

People are blowing off steam on a video game forum and are looking forward to video game news. Any way you slice it we’re in a drought for news. That is a fact. It isn’t needy. It isn’t greedy. After animal crossing we know literally nothing with regards to games coming in 2020. It’s okay for people to point that out and want some news to chew on as customers and frankly I’m sick of seeing people in this thread constantly being regulated for what boils down to just wanting news on video games.

I am in the Geno thread and we basically have nothing to do Geno related except wait for another Direct to hopefully give us some clarity on when he is coming. Therefore we are looking forward to an announcement. I’d much rather speculate on when a direct might be than have to read one more person’s list of 17 characters they want added in Fighter Pass 2

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
Has anyone thought of a classic mode for Geno? Cuz i thought of one. I call it "Mechanical Invasion!". You fight robotic/metalic enemies starting with R.O.B, then Samus, Dark Samus (probably with some effect to change the battle up from the last one), Metal Mario (in a cruel sense of irony and because he's the classic metal opponent), Meta Ridely, and finally a team of multicolored Mega Mans in an Axem Rangers style fight. This last fight could have Mario and Bowser/Peach assist you as Allies in a classic Mario RPG style battle (minus the turn based combat). The route would end with Geno facing off against Galleom. His congratulations picture would probably be him posing with Mario, Bowser, Peach, and hopefully Mallow if he makes it in some way

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Has anyone thought of a classic mode for Geno? Cuz i thought of one. I call it "Mechanical Invasion!". You fight robotic/metalic enemies starting with R.O.B, then Samus, Dark Samus (probably with some effect to change the battle up from the last one), Metal Mario (in a cruel sense of irony and because he's the classic metal opponent), Meta Ridely, and finally a team of multicolored Mega Mans in an Axem Rangers style fight. This last fight could have Mario and Bowser/Peach assist you as Allies in a classic Mario RPG style battle (minus the turn based combat). The route would end with Geno facing off against Galleom. His congratulations picture would probably be him posing with Mario, Bowser, Peach, and hopefully Mallow if he makes it in some way
My main idea is called Fight Against the Armed Bosses: Marth at Peach's Castle, Young Link in Kongo Jungle, Byleth at Termina Bay, 5 Multicolored Game and Watches and a Samus that appears after defeating them at Norfair, Giant Ike at Dracula's Castle, and finally a gray colored DeDeDe on Midgar.

His final picture is him and Mario shaking hands and smiling at each other on the Mario Galaxay level with Rosalina and Luma looking at him from a higher vantage.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

Breathe, guys.
The best reason I’ve heard about the March Direct (Credits for the theory to Resetera’s NateDrake) is that they want people to spend their money on Animal Crossing. If other games we’re revealed, people would probably skip on the game to buy other things (Fighter Pass Vol. 2, Xenoblade, etc) because they only had X amount of money to spend right now.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
1) if it’s a smash focused direct maybe they are having trouble implementing the character, some weird bug they can’t fix and that’s why.
I mean he did pass out at the gym (no matter if it was worked related or diet-related, he still passed out). Maybe Nintendo forced him to take a few days/ a ' week off? They know the fighters pass will sell like hotcake anyway, and they don¨t have a deadline for each character specifically.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something to distract the Direct news drought for sometime, but Mark Haynes has done a complete series remastered. It will premiere in two days, so get ready.

D

Deleted member

I’m heading out for a bit. Got to take care of some stuff, and with not much happening, there isn’t much I can say.

I’ll be around and of course give my thoughts when news happens.

Thank you guys for a fun couple of months it’s been fun chatting with you and of course supporting Geno.

Will be back soon take care!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Should of noted that part.
Yes, they haven't delayed anything, and if they were, the Animal Crossing direct would of 100% not of happened or at the very least, delayed it to Early-March.
This is very much a Nintendo decision that they are waiting to give us a direct.
I believe what they are doing is trying to "build up hype" for the direct but at this point, it's not even building up hype, we're mostly just "Please we just want to know what your line-up is so we can be excited for the company's future.".
I haven't seen anybody get "hyped", at-least not as much as January/February, which sucks in a way.

and no i didn't get the reference damn it
I think it's more a case of giving Byleth room to breath than it is trying to build hype but I really truly think they also somehow believe they're building hype too. Unfortunately, both issues could have been solved by revealing Byleth along with the first character from FP2. This would have allowed Byleth to have some time in the spot light while we at least know who's coming next and can be hyped (or not depending on who it is) while we wait. It's impossible not to overshadow Byleth so that wouldn't have even been an issue. Even if the next character is nowhere close to ready they could have and should have done a Joker style reveal.

Now we have this pass that's available for purchase that we have no information on whatsoever. I've entertained the idea that maybe the next information we get will be BIG like multiple reveals or extensive information about the pass, but I don't think this will happen since they want to surprise us so bad obviously and have given themselves so much time to release these characters. HOWEVER, what if Fatman's celebration theory is true but to an extent even more so than we imagined. As in way more music, Mii costumes, and spirits from many franchises from each company? What if they decided to bring back some more old game modes like boss rush in FP2? There are possible reasons things might take longer because of stuff like this. I don't think it was a good idea for them to hold off, but if it truly is for reasons like those or for a character that is just outlandish to think they even got the rights for then I'll be quick to forgiveness.

And this is just Smash talk. Not even to mention that stuff like a new Paper Mario going back to what made the first ones great, "the big one", and other stuff that would blow our minds

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

It's just 100% backfiring hardcore. Quite a hefty stock loss and people now actively pissed off at them to the point where they may even be losing consumers. Definitely *not* something you want to do in a year where your competitors will be releasing new consoles and jumping another generation while you're *still* playing catch-up with consoles from the previous generation, so now you'll be at least 2-if-not-3 generations behind.
I agree that Nintendo's strategy of building hype, if it exists, is "backfiring"... Maybe I wouldn't use that term. It isn't working out as they planned, maybe. I've mentioned before that I think for the past few years, Nintendo has been looking for the "perfect" hype timeframe, where thirst for information is at its max and interest is also at its max so that no matter what, the overwhelming majority of viewers are stoked to see the direct happen, and the viewing numbers go up. If you'll look at my posts here from a while back, I have asserted that announcements are television, or a wrestling match to them - it's all about the ratings, and I just think there's a sweet spot that they feel like they're not hitting, but that they could reach.

But I disagree that under any circumstance is this something they need to actively shy away from. Is it obnoxious for the fans? Sure. Are they dropping stock because of the lack of a direct? Probably not. They give quarterly shareholder reports (that's one more a year than directs) and while I'll be fast to call out the fact that they dropped a significant amount after their most recent quarterly, they tend to drop stock around every one. You can't please every bigwig every time and coronavirus is running a clinic on the global markets in general (which I think it's kind of goofy to unload your stocks in a Japanese video game manufacturer during a virus outbreak but I'm not an investment adviser), so if there's a continued dip, we can't blame the lack of news. The gist of what I'm saying here is that the important investors already know what's coming down the pipe and they aren't waiting for what is essentially the consumer's quarterly report to make their financial decisions. And reall, imagine thinking that any consumer is going to not buy the games because Nintendo took too long to announce them. We can kick and scream and say we're pissed all we want to, but at the end of the day, we're gonna be waiting in line at 8:30 in the morning outside of a GameStop to get our game and our preorder bonus.

Likewise, Nintendo is doing the right thing lagging behind in the console rat race. Video gaming is a weird industry, and it's evolved a hell of a lot since the late 80s and even the 2000s. For almost a decade now, I've been of the opinion that there's a fast approaching wall as far as graphics are concerned, which is ultimately all anyone cares about when the new console generation is announced. It was viable to keep up this 5 year cycle of consoles in 85 to 90 and 90 to 95 - the technology was growing in leaps and bounds and we were moving from the console not being able to keep up with more than 8 colors on screen at a time to full 3D environments where it wasn't how many colors your textures had but how big they were that mattered... But where are we now? Modern consoles release looking identical to their predecessor's high end, late life games, but at outrageous prices, with the downside that the framerate stutters and glitches abound as the developers have to port their projects to a new, unfamiliar system. Even Nintendo suffered with this, with Breath of the Wild having certain segments that were optimized better for the Wii U and others optimized better for the Switch - had the game been made for one or the other entirely, I doubt there would ever be an instance where the framerate drops below 30, and with a little more cook time, Breath of the Wild likely could have achieved 60 barring very specific areas, but at least Nintendo doesn't suffer speculation that their new console is going to cost US $999. Give me one good reason to keep up with the competition in terms of power when your games are functional on launch, look great and will very likely age well, and most importantly are fun to play.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Does anyone think that Nintendo Switch will go on to have a long healthy lifespan like the 3DS did? I feel like I know an insane amount of people with a Switch..

Firox

Smash Master
No, this is a Nintendo is being Nintendo issue at play.
Amen, Reverend. At this point I should think it common knowledge that Nintendo is prone to sudden violent bouts of negligence and stupidity.

Does anyone think that Nintendo Switch will go on to have a long healthy lifespan like the 3DS did? I feel like I know an insane amount of people with a Switch..
I think the Switch will have a fairly healthy lifespan.....as long as they can keep feeding us with freaking GAMES!

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I think so, but I'm curious about whether or not they're going to release the fabled "pro" version of the console. I'm not crazy about mid-gen upgrades/updates personally, but I do think a powerboost would help.

You know what idea I like better? Rather than a new pro-switch where we have to buy the thing again, come out with a doc that can actually provide substantial amounts of process power to the Switch itself. Charge 200ish dollars for it, and just maybe let it be strong enough to support Monster Hunter World? This comes with its own problems (namely now you have specifically docked mode games for the Switch vs free-to-go-anywhere games) but I'd wager it extends the life a bit longer as long as they market it well and provide a bunch of games that it makes worth getting one for.
But I figure that one isn't going to be what happens, so I'm gonna guess in probably less that 3 years we're getting some kind of hardware upgrade in some form.

D

Deleted member

I think so, but I'm curious about whether or not they're going to release the fabled "pro" version of the console. I'm not crazy about mid-gen upgrades/updates personally, but I do think a powerboost would help.

You know what idea I like better? Rather than a new pro-switch where we have to buy the thing again, come out with a doc that can actually provide substantial amounts of process power to the Switch itself. Charge 200ish dollars for it, and just maybe let it be strong enough to support Monster Hunter World? This comes with its own problems (namely now you have specifically docked mode games for the Switch vs free-to-go-anywhere games) but I'd wager it extends the life a bit longer as long as they market it well and provide a bunch of games that it makes worth getting one for.
But I figure that one isn't going to be what happens, so I'm gonna guess in probably less that 3 years we're getting some kind of hardware upgrade in some form.
If I'm remembering this right, Nintendo did file a patent for a device that can connect to a console and provide a secondary processor/graphics processor shortly before the Switch was announced. That, paired with their shareholder meeting in which it seemed their new console would exist alongside the Wii U and the 3DS (but in hindsight I think it was literally meant to be taken as a combination of the two), made me think they were going to try to breathe life into the Wii U with such a peripheral.

I remember hearing that Nintendo plans to support the Switch for possibly ten years, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see games in the future need a new dock and not be able to be played in handheld mode - maybe a bulkier Switch model would come out after that to be able to allow those games to be played on the go, but when you have the patent already in place and the opportunity to make for an easy adoption like that, there's very few reasons not to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom