• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Oh Geno thread, I have a surprise for you. I found this and thought I should share. I know how much some people like seeing these comments (I'm referring to the last comment in the screenshot), and not only is it belittling Geno, but ALSO Banjo & Kazooie.

I'm sure you all are gonna go ham with this (my mind went to Ovaltine Ovaltine since she loves both those characters and is the exact opposite of this person's assumption. Also, I know how much ForsakenM ForsakenM loves comments like this, if my memory serves.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
10 Top Games? That's hard but if I were to list the ones that have had the biggest impact on me personally as a gamer:

-Super Mario RPG
-Chrono Trigger
-Kirby Super Star/Ultra
-Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
-MegaMan X
-Star Fox 64
-Pokemon Red/Blue
-the World Ends with You
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Mole Mania

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I dont wanna keep the arguement going like CJ said, but I gotta throw my two cents in real quick and say that everyone should be able to make a judgement on a product before buying it. My enjoyment was wanning by ORAS, and i skipped gen 7. There’s enough content cut that I know I’m not gonna enjoy SwSh, and I dont have 60 bucks just to make a proper judgement. Get it if you want or skip it if you don’t. We shouldnt gate keep this kinda stuff
THIS. That's the best way to look at it in my opinion. I've already said I have my problems with the game and that despite it looking enjoyable enough to me, I don't feel as though it's worth my precious 60 bucks. But at the end of the day, that's my take on it and it should be be up to each person to decide whether or not they choose to buy it.

EDIT: 1800 pages, guys. Woo!

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
10 Top Games? That's hard but if I were to list the ones that have had the biggest impact on me personally as a gamer:

-Super Mario RPG
-Chrono Trigger
-Kirby Super Star/Ultra
-Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
-MegaMan X
-Star Fox 64
-Pokemon Red/Blue
-the World Ends with You
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Mole Mania
Mole Mania was the bomb dude. I used to play Kirby Super Star on SNES with my older brother. On thanksgiving, we always try to plow through Great Cave together as fast as possible.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Oh Geno thread, I have a surprise for you. I found this and thought I should share. I know how much some people like seeing these comments (I'm referring to the last comment in the screenshot), and not only is it belittling Geno, but ALSO Banjo & Kazooie.

I'm sure you all are gonna go ham with this (my mind went to Ovaltine Ovaltine since she loves both those characters and is the exact opposite of this person's assumption. Also, I know how much ForsakenM ForsakenM loves comments like this, if my memory serves.)
Well, Banjo was very mid-tier. Definitely not a bad character at all, but I can see why the hype died down after he got in. I’ll definitely be playing Geno a lot when he gets in, but I won’t lie and say that I’d personally stick with him as a secondary if it turns out that he’s particularly underwhelming competitively.

(To be clear, that guy’s an asshole, I’m just considering an explanation for the whole “Banjo hype died down” thing.)

Also, hey, Page 1800!

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Just gonna throw my list into the ring. Top 3 are set in stone, the rest are interchangeable.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
  2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3
  7. Super Metroid
  8. Super Mario World
  9. Super Paper Mario
  10. Bloons Tower Defense 6

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

As a certified zoomer who loves both Banjo and Geno, this tweet offends me. /s

Ah well, these types of comments are all too common nowadays. People are too quick to belittle any fans of characters they don't see as "worthy" by their own measures. I'm sick of that mentality personally, which is why I enjoy being around here.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
1800 PAGES AND COUNTING! This train has no stops!

Before I forget MisterMike MisterMike and Organization XIII Organization XIII
Watching you two talk about this game in such depth brings a smile to my face! It also reminded me of Guy's backstory and how it was nicely written. The whole "Oh he is scared of girls? That's cute" to "Oh sweet Jesus! THAT'S why you are scared of them!? I am sorry!" Seriously, there is some great writting in that game.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I guarantee you

I GUARENTEE you

That the person who made that comment supports one of the following characters
Bandana Waddle Dee
An obscure indie character
Ashley
One of the old characters that geezers like me keep pining for (Isaac, Lloyd, etc)

That’s not to belittle people who support anyone I listed (I mean I included me in the list), but no one who makes posts like that is ever consistent with it. When they find a character they aren’t interested in they look for any chance to put them down no matter how hypocritical.

Firox

Smash Master

Lol, that pansy. They accused Geno fans of being too young and dropping him after release? Who's dropped Banjo? I'll tell you what, Banjo-Kazooie did NOT have the same reaction as PP did at release. PP got played heavily online for about a week while everyone was testing him out. Shortly after, there was a sharp drop-off due to its lack of competitive viability and lackluster fan following. Banjo, on the other hand, is STILL one of the most common fighters you'll see online and his fan following alone has lead several people to switch mains entirely. If anything, I'd say the scrub in that post is too young THEMSELVES to even appreciate Geno.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
As a certified zoomer who loves both Banjo and Geno, this tweet offends me. /s

Ah well, these types of comments are all too common nowadays. People are too quick to belittle any fans of characters they don't see as "worthy" by their own measures. I'm sick of that mentality personally, which is why I enjoy being around here.
Its also annoying how inconsistent it is. Where's all this 'boomer' and '90s nostalgia manbaby' garbage with Terry? It's always directed at K Rool, Banjo and Geno.

That said, Terry SHOULDN'T get this attitude. No character should. But where did all these anti-90s detractors go when Terry came out? If they dislike a character, fine then. Just don't use dumb reasonings like they came from a decade.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Here's my top ten:

1. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
2. Bowser's Inside Story
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Team Fortress 2
5. DOOM (2016)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
7. Portal 2
8. Super Metroid
9. Mega Man 3
10. Pokémon Black

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, hype died down for B-K... when now? lol I don't think they're seeing the same thing I am. Very selective tunnel vision right there, let me tell you. What, do they expect people to have an aneurysm over B-K every single day? Like me?

Ridiculous, but whatever. Let them continue to be ignorant. I just don't bother with those kinds of people when they clearly cherry-pick situations like B-K's to get a flimsy 'point' across (one that is strictly anecdotal and holds no water).

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Its also annoying how inconsistent it is. Where's all this 'boomer' and '90s nostalgia manbaby' garbage with Terry? It's always directed at K Rool, Banjo and Geno.

That said, Terry SHOULDN'T get this attitude. No character should. But where did all these anti-90s detractors go when Terry came out? If they dislike a character, fine then. Just don't use dumb reasonings like they came from a decade.
I'm convinced they're just desperate to bash characters they don't care for whatever way they can and "lol boomer character" was just low hanging fruit.

Had K Rool, Banjo, Geno etc still been relevant over the years, they'd find another poor excuse to attack them and their fans.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'd wager because there isn't a long-running fanbase of supporters for them to take shots at, which I assume is the whole point of hating on things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, hype died down for B-K... when now? lol I don't think they're seeing the same thing I am. Very selective tunnel vision right there, let me tell you. What, do they expect people to have an aneurysm over B-K every single day? Like me?

Ridiculous, but whatever. Let them continue to be ignorant. I just don't bother with those kinds of people when they clearly cherry-pick situations like B-K's to get a flimsy 'point' across (one that is strictly anecdotal and holds no water).
If there is not nonstop hype for a character every single day after their announcement/release they're a waste of a character
This logic is sound until you realize that it would apply to every single Smash character reveal since Brawl, because expecting people to continue to talk about something when there's not much more to be said on the subject is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
152 pages to go until we surpass the biggest support thread in Smashboards history the Smash 4 Ridley thread. But I'm going to sleep now because I have to go to work in several hours, so I'll see y'all tomorrow peace.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Top ten games, huh? That's tough. "I could no sooner chose a favorite star in the heavens." But if I must, in no particular order:

Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario RPG: LOTSS
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Kingdom Hearts 2
Super Mario Galaxy 1+2
Super Mario 3D world
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the original, not the crappy EA ones)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Final Fantasy X
Tales of Syphonia/Vesperia

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Is it weird that I 100% agree that Sunshine has some absolute bs nonsense that it asks you to do and I love that it has that? Like I love the kind of jank and weirdness it throws at you, I don’t know why

Also I think this makes page 1800
you know whats funny? they built the game around the fludd mechanic but the platforming levels where you navigate through 3d objects without fludd are among the most enjoyable platforming levels in all of gaming. the song that plays on those stages was infectious and atmospheric to the vibe of the game too

like imagine if they made a mario game full of those levels with a few expansions. i would buy that **** in a heartbeat

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

152 pages to go until we surpass the biggest support thread in Smashboards history the Smash 4 Ridley thread. But I'm going to sleep now because I have to go to work in several hours, so I'll see y'all tomorrow peace.
yeah no the old Social thread had 6240 pages and I'm pretty sure that was one of the biggest threads in Smashboards history. In character support threads? Perhaps.. Probably but definitely not the largest in history and this thread will never become that large.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Wow, can’t believe I forgot Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story in my top 10 games. I’m very upset with myself.

On the Sword/Shield debate, I was able to buy the game “secondhand” on eBay for $50, so at least I still get to experience the game even if I didn’t actually contribute to sales numbers. I’m having fun with it so far and have enjoyed discovering new Pokémon. I haven’t played since Sun/Moon so I’ve been itching for a new experience. Don’t care about graphics/all Pokémon, but these games could have been much more quality if Game Freak would take their time. They do seem like upscaled 3DS games imo. But the bottom line is that it’s Pokémon, so it’s pretty enjoyable to me.

Also I know the Mii Costume video leak hasn’t been proven fake yet, and I have an oddly good feeling about it still. It feels like we just assumed it would be something for Fighter Pass 5, and maybe that’s not exactly the case. Maybe it got it partially correct, but still is fake itself. That’s the feel I get at the least.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
THIS. THIS, people! If nothing else, I should think we can all agree that yearly releases are just stupid. Period. Good things take time, especially video games. As a production engineer I can tell you, rushing technical things will give you **** EVERY TIME. You want quality? Don't cut corners, don't make excuses, and don't be too freaking cheap. This annual release thing is putting itself solidly into "cash-grab" territory and that's not how you make an epic game. Why do you think Metroid Prime 4 had to restart development? Why do you think it's taken this long to make it? Why do mainline Zelda games usually only come once or twice in a console's lifetime? Because good stuff takes time. And to those of you that think Swish is so great, imagine what GF could have done with another year of development? How about two? Yeah, annual releases need to burn in hell where they belong.
As the father of a famous plumber once said, “A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.”
- Mr. Mario Sr.

I dont understand this “Banjo was abandoned” arguement. Maybe by the people who play the new dlc for a week, but for people like me who’ve been waiting for their most wanted for years, we’re not gonna abandon him just cause he’s mid or low tier

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
you know whats funny? they built the game around the fludd mechanic but the platforming levels where you navigate through 3d objects without fludd are among the most enjoyable platforming levels in all of gaming. the song that plays on those stages was infectious and atmospheric to the vibe of the game too

like imagine if they made a mario game full of those levels with a few expansions. i would buy that **** in a heartbeat
I think made two games full of those kinds of levels, they’re called Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 :ultpacman:

But joking aside, there is a certain unique charm to the FLUDD-less levels in Sunshine. The music, the weird look of the void around you, the tightness of the controls with the strictness of the difficulty, it’s all got this very strange and unique vibe to it. I wonder how much it comes from the sensation of having FLUDD stolen and being trapped in a weird netherworld contributes to it though. Like if instead of going through a pipe or portal and having Shadow Mario steal your jetpack, you just picked it from a menu, would they still have the almost spooky vibe? If you didn’t play the rest of the game with a water jetpack, would you get that sense of tight focus on the platforming when it’s taken away?

I dunno, there’s just something magical about them.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I dont understand this “Banjo was abandoned” arguement. Maybe by the people who play the new dlc for a week, but for people like me who’ve been waiting for their most wanted for years, we’re not gonna abandon him just cause he’s mid or low tier
Hell I was only actively wanting Banjo for about as long as Geno and he quickly became my most played character in Ultimate because I just ****ing love to play as him.

I think there's a huge difference between those who picked him up for a week because he was new and those who were hyped before his announcement and still play and love his inclusion like us. So yeah, safe to say Banjo wasn't "abandoned"

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
1800 PAGES AND COUNTING! This train has no stops!

Before I forget MisterMike MisterMike and Organization XIII Organization XIII
Watching you two talk about this game in such depth brings a smile to my face! It also reminded me of Guy's backstory and how it was nicely written. The whole "Oh he is scared of girls? That's cute" to "Oh sweet Jesus! THAT'S why you are scared of them!? I am sorry!" Seriously, there is some great writting in that game.
Thanks! Yeah, I also like talking about this game. And since we're talking about Abyss, there's one neat detail I found out about that I find really funny. So you know the character Legretta? Well apparently her name in Japanese was literally just "Regret". I heard that the Japanese hated her initial name so badly that they decided to just use her english name instead since it sounded so much better.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I can pin point an exact top ten, but here's some of my favorite games in general:

-Zelda Link to the Past
-Zelda Link's Awakening
-Zelda Majora's Mask
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
-Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
-Super Mario RPG
-Mario Maker (Doesn't matter which)
-Super Smash Bros Ultimate
-Pac Man World 2 (for nostalgia)
-Spider-Man PS4
-Kingdom Hearts
-Undertale

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Mad respect for the people who were pissed at Sword and Shield, said they weren't going to buy it, and stuck to their guns. There were unfortunately fewer of us than our brethren who caved.

I still can't really imagine any company that would be more likely to get a "thank you" than Namco. I've kinda been tunneled on Lloyd for a while, and while his prospects look good I might also be blinded by wanting him a lot. We'll have to see, I guess.
Way to give "mad respect" to yourself.

I think I'm allowed to decide if certain features are not to my liking or worth the 60 dollars. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I AM saying it's not good enough for me. (At least not until it goes on sale in 20never)

As an addendum before I drop the argument for the sanity of all involved. Game freak might have tried, but they did lie, and a company should always be held accountable for their lies. It is inexcusable to lie to your consumer base
Exactly this actually. It's obviously completely up to you whether it's worth it for you. What I have a problem with is people telling others who like it not to buy it and acting like it's morally wrong and "bad consumerism" just because their subjective opinion is that it's bad. I also agree on the lying part.
I really didn’t want to jump back in to this conversation... but “you can’t say something’s a bad game if you haven’t played it” isn’t a great take, especially in the era of LPs and streams.

I could go to YT right now and watch a full playthrough, or even find a livestream and interact with the person playing it. Through either method, I could experience the full game and all its potential ups and downs, yet since I didn’t drop $60 on a product that I don’t personally want, none of that matters?

And while I do realize this is a bit of an extreme example, what about games generally seen as “objectively bad”? Do I need to play something like Ride to Hell: Retribution or that recent WWE abomination before I warn people against it?

These days, it’s easier than ever to experience a full game without actually playing it yourself, especially with a turn-based RPG where input skill doesn’t matter, so saying that it’s impossible to criticize something unless you actually played it isn’t quite as effective as it was a few years ago.
First off, no, an lp isn't enough. Watching someone else play it gives you the story and the music and that's it. It doesn't tell you if it's fun. And it's also different when the whole community agrees something is terrible. It still doesn't make something objectively bad, just means the consensus is that it's subjectively bad. But a lot of people really enjoy sword and shield. You can't tell us we're doing something morally wrong for buying the games just because you don't like them. Especially if you haven't even tried them.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Why are there still people all over Discord believing the Gordon “leak” ?

Fatmanonice, this one’s definitely fake, right?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I know Star Wars was brought up a couple of days ago but I just want to say The Mandalorian is very very good. The third episode that dropped today was fire. I highly recommend it to people who haven't checked it out but like the franchise. Also it makes me imagine a story where Geno basically adopts a baby star spirit and has to go on the run with it while battling the Smithy Gang.

I encountered someone on Twitter who was saying BK was somehow a "misfire" and another person who said basically BK isn't played often because he isn't the toppest of top tier and so therefor they are a waste of a slot. As if tier placement matters to 95% of the people who play Smash. And besides that BK is ranked 20 out of 70 something at this point and I see BK users online all the time when I play. Because he's a genuinely very fun character. People have very weird biases.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Anyone who puts any of the Super Mario Galaxy games on their favorite games list is entitled to a like from me (for whatever that's worth).

(I've honestly been liking every post with the games in them. What can I say, good taste should be commended.)

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I know this is a thread about Geno but I wanted to know that you guys think about this, if Capcom does a remake of Resident Evil 3 do you think they will cut content from the original game again as they did with Resident Evil 2? for example the enemies like spiders, crows or extra modes, and even costumes that were unlockable but were made DLC? the remake of the RE2 was a good game but one would believe that if they really wanted to recreate the game as a whole they would not leave things like that out of the game or left as paid content

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd list my top 10 games, but I love a lot of games so eh...

The Banjo-Kazooie series, Mario series, Zelda, Pokémon, Minecraft, EarthBound, Pikmin, and others are definitely all fighting each other despite me being unable to decide.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Why are there still people all over Discord believing the Gordon “leak” ?

Fatmanonice, this one’s definitely fake, right?
People believe it because the leaker appears to have gotten some things correct that weren't necessarily known. Called the name of the new Half Life early, as well as the approximate release date. It is unknown if this was based on previous leaks or not.

That being said, Gordon is unlikely and the timing of the leak dropping is very suspect.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
I sure hope Sakurai takes Smashboards speculation thread page count into consideration when choosing characters.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Anyone who puts any of the Super Mario Galaxy games in their favorite games list is entitled to a like from me (for whatever that's worth).

(I've honestly been liking every post with the games in them. What can I say, good taste should be commended.)
I was more or less giving a like to every one of those I saw, lol. On top of me just giving out a lot of likes in general, I just like to see other people's list of their favorite games and appreciate how varied they can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom