• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I sure hope Sakurai takes Smashboards speculation thread page count into consideration when choosing characters.
So what you’re saying is I need to make a couple thousand alt accounts for the Bomberman thread

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Lloyd being in Smash, I do have some doubts about him

I mentioned this a while back, however one thing that's been pretty consistent with the Fighters Pass, (aside from the fact that it's all 3rd party) is that every fighter has brought in a new franchise that has not yet been in Smash previously. None of the fighters have been Trophies, Stickers, Mii Costumes, or Spirits in past games, they're all new characters. I think it makes sense the 5th fighter would be someone who also hasn't even flirted with Smash. Lloyd was a Mii Costume previously, so I'm not sure given this pattern, he would be 5. I'm not saying Lloyd won't be DLC, I think he's a strong contender for post pass DLC but as small as this detail is, I feel like the fact that all 4 characters so far have followed this pattern, does make me think this was intentional

Maybe I'm wrong, none of this means anything and he'll end up being 5, but as of now, I think it's more likely we'll get blindsided again by a character not many are expecting

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I was more or less giving a like to every one of those I saw, lol. On top of me just giving out a lot of likes in general, I just like to see other people's list of their favorite games and appreciate how varied they can be.
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well. Er, I mean market... store... shop... mart.

Not to get too off topic (though I suppose the Geno thread might as well act as the 2nd general discussion thread), but which Super Mario Galaxy game do you prefer? As I said last night, both games are pretty much equal to me. They each have things that make them better than the other, so they ultimately just compliment each other in my eyes.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
People believe it because the leaker appears to have gotten some things correct that weren't necessarily known. Called the name of the new Half Life early, as well as the approximate release date. It is unknown if this was based on previous leaks or not.

That being said, Gordon is unlikely and the timing of the leak dropping is very suspect.
He actually didn’t get any of that info himself.

There’s a message pinned on Star Road that shows how each of his claims could have easily been piggybacked from previous claims.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
First off, no, an lp isn't enough. Watching someone else play it gives you the story and the music and that's it. It doesn't tell you if it's fun. And it's also different when the whole community agrees something is terrible. It still doesn't make something objectively bad, just means the consensus is that it's subjectively bad. But a lot of people really enjoy sword and shield. You can't tell us we're doing something morally wrong for buying the games just because you don't like them. Especially if you haven't even tried them.
I love Black 2. I played the absolute hell out of that game. I got Gen 6, but fell out of it after a few weeks because it felt samey. The core gameplay loop of meeting and catching new Pokemon was still there and still fun, but it was more of the same. Same case with Gen 7. With each of these Gens, you can still see why people play these games, they're still Pokemon, the core gameplay is still enjoyable and some people just want more of that.

SwSh comes in and looks spectacular, but progressively kneecaps itself with Dexit, removal of features, even greater dumbing down of difficulty, noticeable graphical and technical shortcomings, etc. Like I said, I and other people know what they like about Pokemon. You know what you're coming into the series to do and what you want out of it. I know from reading reviews, watching gameplay videos, and watching my housemate playing through the whole game with the brightest smile on his face that I would hate this game.

This is a $60 game with less content than a $40 game, a console experience that uses assets and outdated code from handheld systems, and yet another iteration that does close to nothing to innovate the game. To try and say people can't be upset and disinterested without playing it is completely disingenuous.

I know why I loved Gen 5 and why I was initially invested in Gen 6, 7, and even 8. But the series has done so little to improve and innovate over the past decade, and Gen 8 has even gone as far as to backtrack, so yes, I will happily call it a well-informed opinion that I don't want to spend more for less of the same.

Edit: You and anyone else are ABSOLUTELY free to love the games, please do, I wouldn't encroach on that. But don't tell us we aren't allowed to be fed up with GameFreak's mediocrity.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Whoever made that Twitter comment is stupid as hell. I won't bother with it anymore than that.

What I will say is...guys, I feel like both Smash Ultimate base and the Fighter's Pass are worth the money for the music alone. Like, hot damn, can we talk about this for a second? Like, what game has this much music from so many different franchises and nearly ALL of it is just flat out dope. Like, Ultimate gives DDR games a run for their money.

For example, the the base games has stuff like this:

And god DAYUM if there isn't more and MORE really good new remixes. I had to limited to two per max because literally all the Megaman and Castlevania remixes would be here if I didn't. This isn't counting originals that are just ****ing fantastic, like Jump-Up Superstar! and Classic Tennis. Then you got classics like the Gerudo Valley Remix and the many variations of Lifelight and just...my god, man.

• Then the Fighter's Pass...welp, we got Behind the Mask and Last Suprise, both of which are worth Joker's 5.99. Oh, and P5's victory music....hubba hubba...
  • I know there is a lot of flak about getting the MIDIs but hot dayum guys, Dragon Quest's MIDIs kinda put a lot of game OST to shame. I feel like between Adventure, Wagon Wheel's March and War Cry...actually, The Hero Goes Forth With Determination is really good too...yeah, they may be MIDIs, but damn they picked good ones and they are definitely worth 5.99.
  • I mean...do we even need to talk about Banjo & Kazooie? Sick-ass take on the original theme, Treasure Trove Cove done in beautiful Yoko's style? GRANT KIRKHOPE's NEW TAKE ON SPIRAL MOUNTAIN?! Yeah, definitely worth 5.99.
  • That new take on MEGALOVANIA by Toby Fox is worth WAY MORE than .75.
  • ...Uhh, 50 tracks? AND it's ALL SNK music? You know, a company know for having good-ass music in all their games? The music that Terry brings with him alone is worth the whole pass, let alone just his 5.99.
Like I can't state enough how good all the original and Remixes are. Like, I really have no idea how to phrase this. Just gives these a listen, let them speak for me.

I have to stop, or I'll be here all day. I didn't even include any of the Metal Slug tracks, JESUS SNK MY EARS CAN'T TAKE IT! In case you are wondering 11th Street is my lifeblood right now.

God, it makes me hype for whoever the next character will be, because of the new bangers we will get.

If there is at least one track you wanna see hit Smash, remake or not, what would that be?

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Just to pass the time and have something to talk about: If you had to make a top 10 list of your favorite video games what would they be?

Personally mine would look something like this:
1) Mother 3
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Super Smash Bros Ultimate
4) Golden Sun
5) Donkey Kong Country 2
6) Donkey Kong Country
7) Banjo-Kazooie
8) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
9) Undertale
10) Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Usually I can do top 5 pretty easily but we will see how my top 10 list looks here. No particular order.
1. Undertale
2. SMRPG
3. Super Smash Bros series especially Ultimate
4. Halo 3 (I know it's kind of dumb to have in your top 10 but goofing around with friends in forge a lot made for some great gaming memories)
5. Champions of Norrath games (my first experience with those kinds of games and I totally loved it!)
6. Pokemon series if I have to pick one maybe X as I logged the most hours in it with breeding and shiny hunting and wonder trading and Kalos was my favorite region but Soul Silver was great too.
7. Bioshock Trilogy especially the first one (magic and guns? Steampunkish setting? Yes please)
8. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
9. Luigi's Mansion
10. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love Black 2. I played the absolute hell out of that game. I got Gen 6, but fell out of it after a few weeks because it felt samey. The core gameplay loop of meeting and catching new Pokemon was still there and still fun, but it was more of the same. Same case with Gen 7. With each of these Gens, you can still see why people play these games, they're still Pokemon, the core gameplay is still enjoyable and some people just want more of that.

SwSh comes in and looks spectacular, but progressively kneecaps itself with Dexit, removal of features, even greater dumbing down of difficulty, noticeable graphical and technical shortcomings, etc. Like I said, I and other people know what they like about Pokemon. You know what you're coming into the series to do and what you want out of it. I know from reading reviews, watching gameplay videos, and watching my housemate playing through the whole game with the brightest smile on his face that I would hate this game.

This is a $60 game with less content than a $40 game, a console experience that uses assets and outdated code from handheld systems, and yet another iteration that does close to nothing to innovate the game. To try and say people can't be upset and disinterested without playing it is completely disingenuous.

I know why I loved Gen 5 and why I was initially invested in Gen 6, 7, and even 8. But the series has done so little to improve and innovate over the past decade, and Gen 8 has even gone as far as to backtrack, so yes, I will happily call it a well-informed opinion that I don't want to spend more for less of the same.

Edit: You and anyone else are ABSOLUTELY free to love the games, please do, I wouldn't encroach on that. But don't tell us we aren't allowed to be fed up with GameFreak's mediocrity.
For ****s sake. Can people please start reading my posts before responding?

Once again. If you don't want the game, that's fine. If you want to complain that the game isn't good enough for you when you were hoping it would be, that's fine. But don't tell others they have a moral responsibility to not buy it because it's not good enough for you, because it might be good enough for them. I wish people would quit throwing around the term "bad consumerism" just because people are buying something they don't like.

When did I say "you must buy this game" or "you must like this game" or "you can't be dissapointed in this game"? I'm sorry if this comes off as over agressive, but this is like the third time I've had to respond to a post completely putting those same words in my mouth and it's getting a little old.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Wait wait, I was reading a few pages back, there were TWO private videos added to the Smash channel? If Fighter 5 isn't Geno, what's stopping him from being Fighter 6? > >

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Wait wait, I was reading a few pages back, there were TWO private videos added to the Smash channel? If Fighter 5 isn't Geno, what's stopping him from being Fighter 6? > >
Apparently they're just old adds. The actual playlist hasn't had anything added.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well. Er, I mean market... store... shop... mart.

Not to get too off topic (though I suppose the Geno thread might as well act as the 2nd general discussion thread), but which Super Mario Galaxy game do you prefer? As I said last night, both games are pretty much equal to me. They each have things that make them better than the other, so they ultimately just compliment each other in my eyes.
You may just call me a mart™. It should've been trademarked like in my accounts elsewhere, but I forgot to when signing up here. :ultpacman:

And to answer your question, the first one is my favorite by a small margin. It was my first Wii game after Wii Sports and Wii Play, and as the Wii is still my favorite and most nostalgic console, that game carries a lot of fond memories to me. Even to this day I think it nailed the storytelling and atmosphere like no mainline Mario game has since (though Odyssey comes somewhat close) and it had superb gameplay to top it off too. That's not a knock against Galaxy 2 though, as it has even tighter level design and more content than the original, the latter just has a bit more balance in my opinion.

That said, this serves as a reminder I'm in serious need of playing both again. Jesus, it's been too long!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Once again. If you don't want the game, that's fine. If you want to complain that the game isn't good enough for you when you were hoping it would be, that's fine. But don't tell others they have a moral responsibility to not buy it because it's not good enough for you, because it might be good enough for them. I wish people would quit throwing around the term "bad consumerism" just because people are buying something they don't like.

When did I say "you must buy this game" or "you must like this game" or "you can't be dissapointed in this game"? I'm sorry if this comes off as over agressive, but this is like the third time I've had to respond to a post completely putting those same words in my mouth and it's getting a little old.
You definitely said earlier to 'play the game before you call it garbage', to which I responded that one can tell a game is good or bad before buying and thus does not have to spend their money. Here is the thing though: if the goal of consumerism is to reward companies that give you want you ask for and give the hint to the companies that don't to breed competition to better get what you want...then yes, gamers are recently suffering from bad consumerism.

Unless you want more Pokemon games like Sword and Shield, that is. In which case, that's fine. Just keep in mind the majority of us want companies to actually deliver something of quality and not rushed out every year to where it's boring and janky garbage. Also, keep in mind if that is something you would like as well, that buying the game first-hand so GameFreak gets money directly counteracts that goal.

No on is saying that you can't buy it, but rather you hand-waving issues with the game and buying it firsthand and saying 'it was fun' is a sign of "Oh boy, I can't wait for Gen 9 to be just the same, if not worse" because no one is speaking to GameFreak with the one thing that matters: their wallet.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

And I never insinuated you said any of those things, I was mostly trying to get across the point that you absolutely CAN have an informed opinion on whether it would be enjoyable without playing it. But what you have done is set up a consistent wall of 'your opinion doesn't matter if you haven't played it.' My final pre-edit line was to explicitly get that across, that you're acting like because we haven't played we aren't allowed to dislike it or tell others the issues that are present within it. I'm not going to buy something I know I won't like just so I can justify not liking it by your standards.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Man, I hope TPC finally lets Game Freak have more than a year or two of dev time so this will all stop. I'm fairly certain they have higher ups making them rush before Black Friday and it's conflicting with some of their wants. I guess GF's priorities are off, though.

No, people aren't bad consumers for wanting it to be as great as it can be but still enjoying it. No, they're not bad people either. You can't objectively say this unless they think it's horrible but buy and play it anyway despite having no fun, and even then it's literally all formed around opinions. Please end this.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man, I hope TPC finally lets Game Freak have more than a year or two of dev time so this will all stop.
I agree. But at least its entertaining?

Anyhow, If Geno was a Pokemon Trainer, what would there team consist of? New Gen is allowed.

QQS

Smash Lord
Im pretty confident Nintendo and the Smash team want to show off and will close 2019 properly. Probably Smash winning the GA and also showing character #75 to end the FP. If they wanna make a huge internacional impact: Crash is the proper one. And, if they wanna make a huge impact inside the community, Geno is the best candidate. Geno could be character #76 (the first one after the FP and also The Seventh Star DLC).

Maybe even with the Mario logo, so we could have:

-Piranha Plant as a Bonus - Mario saga
-The 5 guys of the FP
-Geno as a Bonus - Mario saga
-Second FP

Anyway, I think our wishes are coming full circle and either way, Geno is getting revealed at the Game Awards. I’m betting for Crash (75) and Geno (76). What a better way to conclude this period and year.

Also, Sakurai, Nintendo and the whole team, deserve to win the GOTY with this masterpiece.

Can’t wait to see that CGI trailer, gameplay, music, moveset, sounds, design and feel those Geno’s nostalgic goosebumps. From 1996 to 2020, it will be 24 years for our little buddy to make a proper comeback home. That reveal will be glorious. Don’t blame me for my positivism, I have always believed in this and Geno will happen playable 100%. I was 6 years when I played as him so it will be indescribable to see this.

Best wishes from Chile! ⭐ :)

66A0A43C-A940-4A0E-A9F2-0B104B1BDDD3.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Whoever made that Twitter comment is stupid as hell. I won't bother with it anymore than that.

What I will say is...guys, I feel like both Smash Ultimate base and the Fighter's Pass are worth the money for the music alone. Like, hot damn, can we talk about this for a second? Like, what game has this much music from so many different franchises and nearly ALL of it is just flat out dope. Like, Ultimate gives DDR games a run for their money.

And god DAYUM if there isn't more and MORE really good new remixes. I had to limited to two per max because literally all the Megaman and Castlevania remixes would be here if I didn't. This isn't counting originals that are just ****ing fantastic, like Jump-Up Superstar! and Classic Tennis. Then you got classics like the Gerudo Valley Remix and the many variations of Lifelight and just...my god, man.

• Then the Fighter's Pass...welp, we got Behind the Mask and Last Suprise, both of which are worth Joker's 5.99. Oh, and P5's victory music....hubba hubba...
  • I know there is a lot of flak about getting the MIDIs but hot dayum guys, Dragon Quest's MIDIs kinda put a lot of game OST to shame. I feel like between Adventure, Wagon Wheel's March and War Cry...actually, The Hero Goes Forth With Determination is really good too...yeah, they may be MIDIs, but damn they picked good ones and they are definitely worth 5.99.
  • I mean...do we even need to talk about Banjo & Kazooie? Sick-ass take on the original theme, Treasure Trove Cove done in beautiful Yoko's style? GRANT KIRKHOPE's NEW TAKE ON SPIRAL MOUNTAIN?! Yeah, definitely worth 5.99.
  • ...Uhh, 50 tracks? AND it's ALL SNK music? You know, a company know for having good-ass music in all their games? The music that Terry brings with him alone is worth the whole pass, let alone just his 5.99.
Like I can't state enough how good all the original and Remixes are. Like, I really have no idea how to phrase this. Just gives these a listen, let them speak for me.

I have to stop, or I'll be here all day. I didn't even include any of the Metal Slug tracks, JESUS SNK MY EARS CAN'T TAKE IT! In case you are wondering 11th Street is my lifeblood right now.

God, it makes me hype for whoever the next character will be, because of the new bangers we will get.

If there is at least one track you wanna see hit Smash, remake or not, what would that be?
No Banquet of Nature? Come on man! That song is absolutely amazing and definitely worth the 5.99 price tag let alone the other music just:
this. This is beautiful.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Is it fair to say that Ultimate’s soundtrack is like the greatest in gaming history? I think it might be haha. As for what song I’d want added, there are so many in that I didn’t I could pick what to add but then I thought of one or... nine. I’ve got five that would be tied to newcomers and four for already represented series.

Newcomers:

First, the obvious, “Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms”
Second, the also obvious, “Title Theme” from Super Bomberman 2
Third, “Heaven” from Custom Robo. It’s been like 15 years and nothing sounds quite like the Custom Robo soundtrack to me.
Fourth, “E1M1” from Doom. Just imagine it.
Fifth, “Halo Theme”. Just. Imagine. It.

Existing characters/series:
1. “Rogueport” from Paper Mario TTYD, there’s like no Paper Mario music and what other sound would it be?
2. “Homecoming Hijinx” from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, TF’s soundtrack is similarly horribly underrepresented
3. “Between Heaven and Earth” from Fire Emblem Three Houses, like any Three Houses song would be great but this is my favorite
4. “Bringer of Chaos!” from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, see above but XC2

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I have probably the most interesting relationship with Mario Sunshine of any Mario title. I think FLUDD was a great gimmick and the platforming segments without him are probably some of the best in the history of the franchise. There are points where the game is brutally difficult which is rare for a Mario title and for people like me, welcome, but there's also so many times that the difficulty comes from getting bull****ted or just needless tedium. I often recount my time playing it like a war story - it was a great time but man was there some unforgettable atrocities that I had to live through, too.

I don't deny it being a good game - overall it's a fun memory, but I don't think it'd make a top ten Mario games for me, much less my top ten video games in general. Maybe top ten games that genuinely frustrated me to the point of quitting sometimes.

Maybe if it had Geno in it...
That's entirely fair. Thing with video games man, nostalgia is a behemoth of a factor. Sunshine is literally the first video game I can recall playing on my own.

And yeah, if there was a game that was just Sunshine's "Secret" levels, I'd buy it. Those are so fun, and although Galaxy kind of plays in that way, it's not quite 1:1.

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
:ultmario:: Dire, Dire Docks
:ultlink:: Ganondorf Battle (Ocarina Of Time)
:ultyoshi:: Baby Bowser (Yoshi's Island)
:ultkirby:: Masked Dedede
:ultness:: Porky Means Business
:ultsnake:: RULES OF NATURE
:ultlucas:: Natural Killer Cyborg
:ultsonic:: Yes.
:ultmegaman:: Elec Man Stage
:ultryu:: Akuma's Theme
:ultcloud:: One Winged Angel
:ultinkling:: Fly Octo Fly
:ultsimon:: Forest Of Monsters
:ultjoker:: Life Will Change
:ultbanjokazooie:: Final Battle (Banjo-Kazooie)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Anyone who puts any of the Super Mario Galaxy games on their favorite games list is entitled to a like from me (for whatever that's worth).

(I've honestly been liking every post with the games in them. What can I say, good taste should be commended.)
Agreed. What can I say, the Mario Galaxies represent the pinnacle of 3D Mario to me. The physics, level design and musical score have yet to be matched in my opinion. The literal "god of platforming" by almost any metric you can think of, bar only multiplayer. 3D World spanks the crap out of all other Mario games in that regard. Though I will give Odyssey credit for the 2.5D-retro wall sections. That was a nicely fresh touch.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Someone earlier made a joke about sakurai picking newcommers based of thread sizes and it got me wondering how that would actually compare to the ballot era polls that should be similar to the ones he supposedly based his selections on. Sorting it all together we have this,

each is by ranking, date it was opened, name, page count, and page counts of it's thread for previous games to compare. I also added some of the big fan picks that made it to give a point of comparison. the x means there wasn't one or I just couldn't find it, maybe I could have looked longer since they were sorted by posts count but on page 9 I saw a thread for the girl from lazy town and just decided that anything that lost to that just doesn't deserve it frankly, Enjoy

1 3/17/17 geno 1801 (96,441)
2 3/17/17 isaac 988 (480,57)
3 3/22/17 shantae 866(207,x)

3/23/17 banjo&kazooie 784(45,7)

mega man Brawl 364 | smash4 81

3/17/17 king K rool 272(1233,21/13)

4 3/19/17 dixie kong 222(84,8/5)
5 3/28/17 ashley 194(9,81)
6 3/16/17 BWD 190(769,x)
7 3/16/17 elma 176(10,x)

3/17/17 ridley 175 (1952,221/198)

8. 5/3/17 skull kid 142(6,28)
9. 4/12/17 lip 96(x,20)
10 3/22/17 ninten 93(4,4)
11 3/19/17 lycanrock 72(x,x)
12 3/17/17 phoenix wright 70(5,8)
13 3/23/17 doomguy 70(x,x)
14 3/16/17 layton 63(59,x)
15 3/25/18 porky 62(11,x)
16 3/19/17 rayman 62(439,5)
17 3/2/18 agumon 59(9,x)
18 3/19/17 crash 59(5,5)
19 3/17/17 krystal 56(332,246/107)
20 3/17/17 toad/captain toad 55(56/50,51)

not bad but definitely imbalanced some, elma, lycanrock, and the mother squad are definitely over represented but others like sora and assists are mostly discussed elsewhere.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I am a bit annoyed how none of Earthbound songs in Smash are directly from the game. It's all remixes. How about some battle songs?

And, I ask this maturely and professionally as a person who loves Smash and marvels at all the content Earthbound has already gotten:

WHERE THE HELL IS 'POKEY MEANS BUSINESS!?'

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't even know why you're bothering to respond to someone who doesn't even own a Switch telling you they're not going to buy a Switch game

Like someone without a driver's licence boycotting a car

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No Banquet of Nature? Come on man! That song is absolutely amazing and definitely worth the 5.99 price tag let alone the other music just:
EPIC STUFF HELLO NAKORURU!
this. This is beautiful.
OMG I MISSED THAT ONE AND IT'S SOOOOOOO GOOOD! AAAHHHHHHHH~!

I think SNK is the second-place winner of the Fighter Pass, right after Banjo & Kazooie. Like, hot ****ing DAYUM!

Third, “Heaven” from Custom Robo. It’s been like 15 years and nothing sounds quite like the Custom Robo soundtrack to me.
So I think all those others are good picks, but I need to say something here.

I was one of those guys who didn't get the Custom Robo AT in Brawl. I thought it was somehow Gundam-related. However, before Ultimate came out, I had the lovely joy of playing the original Customer Robo for GameCube and...it blew my mind. I beat that game so hard and it's been awhile since I could just sit down and play a game and boy did I ever. It just had some sort of wacky robot magic and I think it's a goddamn shame the franchise doesn't exist anymore as a modern-day Custom Robo could easily be amazing.

Just imagine next-gen Custom Robo game that has thousands of parts and incredible online multiplayer? I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Funnily enough, the friend who let me borrow that game also introduced to me Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and I've never loved a game at first site so hard. Like, I just watched him play for a bit and was like "Man, I wish I could join you, this seems like fun."

My buddy Dan: "Oh, but you can!" We spent a lot of time exploring with him trying to remember the game and me just having a blast following him around. We never played too much of it though, yet the music on the world map is etched into my soul.

EDIT:

I don't even know why you're bothering to respond to someone who doesn't even own a Switch telling you they're not going to buy a Switch game

Like someone without a driver's licence boycotting a car
The difference here is that this person could go get a driver's license whenever they damn well please, but are waiting for the right car to come out. Switch out license with game and car with Switch, and that's literally me. I can't tell you how close Ultimate has me to just picking up a Switch right now and I was so ready back in like March or whenever for Pokemon to sell the system for me...welp, that surely didn't happen, XD. Only sold me on never buying GameFreak games for a long time.

However, I'm sticking to me guns: I will wait until either Geno is revealed or Ultimate's DLC cycle ends. Then I will drop $400+ in a single fell swoop like it's the easiest decision I've ever made. I did that with ORAS and the 3DS, I'll do it again.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So I think all those others are good picks, but I need to say something here.

I was one of those guys who didn't get the Custom Robo AT in Brawl. I thought it was somehow Gundam-related. However, before Ultimate came out, I had the lovely joy of playing the original Customer Robo for GameCube and...it blew my mind. I beat that game so hard and it's been awhile since I could just sit down and play a game and boy did I ever. It just had some sort of wacky robot magic and I think it's a goddamn shame the franchise doesn't exist anymore as a modern-day Custom Robo could easily be amazing.

Just imagine next-gen Custom Robo game that has thousands of parts and incredible online multiplayer? I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
I just want to preface with how happy it makes me when I say "Hey I love this old game" and someone comes along and is like "Hey I love that old game too!" Like that just makes me so happy lol.

But DUDE I think about how awesome a modern Custom Robo could be. The sheer visual spectacle in the GC game is so impressive, like it still looks good, just IMAGINE seeing the Dragon Gun or the Wave Bomb in HD, it would be fantastic! And maaaan just more weapons and more bots, add in more and more so that I have more options to not pick when I just use Ray 01/Drill Gun/Wave Bomb/Beast Pod/Formula Legs all the time lol.

At this point I feel like a whole new game is sadly probably pretty unlikely, but I'd be happy with just an HD remake of the GC game with online play added. And I know most people aren't into Spirits, but if Harry, Marcia, and the nameless Protag (I like to call him Hiro but I don't think anything is official) got added to Smash Ultimate as Spirits I would be so happy.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Way to give "mad respect" to yourself.

Exactly this actually. It's obviously completely up to you whether it's worth it for you. What I have a problem with is people telling others who like it not to buy it and acting like it's morally wrong and "bad consumerism" just because their subjective opinion is that it's bad. I also agree on the lying part.

First off, no, an lp isn't enough. Watching someone else play it gives you the story and the music and that's it. It doesn't tell you if it's fun. And it's also different when the whole community agrees something is terrible. It still doesn't make something objectively bad, just means the consensus is that it's subjectively bad. But a lot of people really enjoy sword and shield. You can't tell us we're doing something morally wrong for buying the games just because you don't like them. Especially if you haven't even tried them.
I never actually said that stuff about morals, though? Also, unless you’re watching a completely silent LP, you can usually get a quite good idea if something’s fun or not by the reaction of the person playing it.

I’m not saying it’s a one-to-one comparison, but it’s more than enough in many cases to get an idea of whether you’d like the game or not, especially in the case of a turn-based RPG where character handling isn’t a factor.

On the topic of Lloyd being in Smash, I do have some doubts about him

I mentioned this a while back, however one thing that's been pretty consistent with the Fighters Pass, (aside from the fact that it's all 3rd party) is that every fighter has brought in a new franchise that has not yet been in Smash previously. None of the fighters have been Trophies, Stickers, Mii Costumes, or Spirits in past games, they're all new characters. I think it makes sense the 5th fighter would be someone who also hasn't even flirted with Smash. Lloyd was a Mii Costume previously, so I'm not sure given this pattern, he would be 5. I'm not saying Lloyd won't be DLC, I think he's a strong contender for post pass DLC but as small as this detail is, I feel like the fact that all 4 characters so far have followed this pattern, does make me think this was intentional

Maybe I'm wrong, none of this means anything and he'll end up being 5, but as of now, I think it's more likely we'll get blindsided again by a character not many are expecting
I honestly hate to use this term, but I’m pretty sure that it’s basically a “Smash bubble” thing, specifically in the context of #5. Post-pass, he’s actually incredibly likely, but the idea that Lloyd(or KOS-MOS, or as much as I hate to say this, even Geno) makes sense for a big main-stage TGA reveal isn’t one that tracks.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but feel that saying Ultimate has the best soundtrack of all time is cheating a little bit, since most of the songs that we love are arrangements of songs that originated elsewhere, best music selection may be most appropriate.

and if you wanna talk about original compositions, Brawl is uncontested.

Anyway, this game has no Akuma theme. Add Akuma's theme. I get that he didn't have one until Super Street Fighter II Turbo (which was not pulled from), but a new arrangement could've easily circumvented that. You can't just have the full SFII cast without Akuma! also there's literally no good reason for Vs. Dark Samus to not be in this game

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Anyhow, If Geno was a Pokemon Trainer, what would there team consist of? New Gen is allowed.
That's a really fun albeit silly question that nobody seems keen on answering, so here I go:

-Jirachi (A Pokemon that's straight up based on a star AND that grants wishes, a nobrainer for sure)
-Banette (Pretty obvious too, both are puppets)
-Trevenant (The only Pokemon I could think of that's made of wood)
-Octillery (He and his pre-evolution are based on weaponry, which Geno is of course LOADED with)
-Magmortar (Has big ass cannons as his hands, what more has to be said?)
-Wobbuffet (Many speculate his tiny black tail is the actual Pokemon and the rest is basically a decoy, or a doll if you will)

The last one is kind of a cop out in my opinion, so if any of you could think of a more appropriate Mon instead of Wobbuffet or any of the others, feel free to tell me.

I'll just begin by agreeing with you that Ultimate has a KILLER soundtrack. We're near the 1000 mark and growing, and most of the tracks are on point. That said, I could list a bunch of video game music I'd still want in the game, and I might later, but I'll just say one: Redial from Bomberman Hero.

Bit of an obscure one I guess, but goddamn, I've been obsessed with it since I first stumbled across it last year. It may even be fair to say that that song alone encouraged me to get more into the Bomberman franchise and want the guy in Smash, lol. It's dope!

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Song I want in Smash? SImple. while it was cut from the game, Who I Am, the original main theme of Shadow the Hedgehog is my choice here.
Also, hot take, I dislike Galaxy 2 but love Galaxy. Why, you may ask. Simple. Galaxy 2 is too linear.
okay Galaxy 2 is fine, but I just think it is overrated. I prefer it to 3D Land/World tho

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Also, hot take, I dislike Galaxy 2 but love Galaxy. Why, you may ask. Simple. Galaxy 2 is too linear.
okay Galaxy 2 is fine, but I just think it is overrated. I prefer it to 3D Land/World tho
I agree with this wholeheartedly, aside from maybe not using the word dislike. Just found it to be more disappointing. It took 17 years for Mario to return to a more 3D-style of exploration. 64 and Sunshine did it right if you ask me, and Galaxy found a nice sweet spot between the two.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
For some reason, my phone keeps failing me on page 1801, so I can’t reply to anything directly. ForsakenM ForsakenM to answer your question about what music I want in Smash, four words...

POKÉMON. MYSTERY. DUNGEON. TRACKS.

I basically consider Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 to be the Super Mario RPG of the Pokémon franchise, (cult classic spinoff that introduced much beloved characters who people still talk about today despite not appearing in much else, and never appearing in the main franchise at all), and so its exclusion from Smash in all capacities hurts me as much as Geno’s. At least Super Mario RPG has the Geno Mii costume in 4 and the Geno & Mallow Spirits in Ult, though! The PMD franchise has, and has always had, absolutely nothing. Which is an absolute shame. Let’s get the elephant out of the room right away; this track not being in Smash is a crime:

Probably one of the most famous final boss themes of all time, and it has no representation in Smash whatsoever. It’s not even a third party track! However, what I’m about to say next is probably sacrilegious, but I actually have a final boss track from this franchise I actually prefer more:

What an amazing song. It has to be one of my favorite final boss themes of all time now; I don’t think it gets talked about NEARLY enough. It needs no remix; it’s perfect for Smash as is.

And this isn’t even to talk about all the amazing dungeon themes, or some of the other really awesome boss themes throughout the series. That would make this post too long. This series is just amazing, and imo deserves some recognition in Smash’s hall of fame.

TL;DR: Grovyle for Smash.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Grovyle? Why stop there? Why not Sceptile? He's a sexy beast, especially in Pokken Tournament. They could even work his Mega form into the final smash.
I think he meant the particular grovyle from PMD Time/Darkness/Sky

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Why are there still people all over Discord believing the Gordon “leak” ?

Fatmanonice, this one’s definitely fake, right?
Friendly reminder that Sakurai has praised Half Life 2 in the past.

Not saying that leak is real, but that’s just food for thought.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That's a really fun albeit silly question that nobody seems keen on answering, so here I go:

-Jirachi (A Pokemon that's straight up based on a star AND that grants wishes, a nobrainer for sure)
-Banette (Pretty obvious too, both are puppets)
-Trevenant (The only Pokemon I could think of that's made of wood)
-Octillery (He and his pre-evolution are based on weaponry, which Geno is of course LOADED with)
-Magmortar (Has big ass cannons as his hands, what more has to be said?)
-Wobbuffet (Many speculate his tiny black tail is the actual Pokemon and the rest is basically a decoy, or a doll if you will)

The last one is kind of a cop out in my opinion, so if any of you could think of a more appropriate Mon instead of Wobbuffet or any of the others, feel free to tell me.
That is a pretty good line up. I honestly could not think up another team. The only one I could think about rotating is Solgaleo. As weird as it is, it makes sense. Starts off as a gaseous form (cosmog), then solidifies and then eventually becomes something that resembles the sun!

EDIT: Adding music tracks to Smash? Hmmmm...Any of the last bosses fight music from Fire Emblem: The Three Houses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom