• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
So a couple of things I wanted to say, but wasn't sure how to phrase it properly:
  • For Geno's VA, another good candidate would be Mikoto's VA from Dragalia Lost. He has that deep, serves-a-higher-authority feeling to him that I think would suit Geno really well. To sum up Mikoto's character, he's a lot like Geno where he's merely carrying out the acts of the heavens. He strongly believes in the idea of fate, where heaven decides what's best for him. He's simply a servant of a higher authority.
"I follow Heaven's will. Nothing more."
Sounds a little bit like our star boy, doesn't it?
  • Does anyone remember Super Mario Guy RPG? It was by LordoftheJimmy. It was pretty unique, combining both Super Mario RPG with Family Guy. I remember watching this back in 2012/2013, and I thought it was amazing. I watched every episode released, I loved Family Guy at the time so I thought it was the coolest thing ever, lol. I haven't watched it since then, but it definitely was a product of it's time, though.
Mario was Peter, Mallow was Chris, Peach was Lois, not sure who Meg was, Geno was Brian and he had banter with "God" every now and then.
I don't think he ever finished the series, though, he got up to Forest Maze and quit if I recall correctly.

Honestly, this series plus Rawest Forest really made me more invested in Geno and SMRPG as a whole.
Honestly, I always got the impression that Geno would be silent like Megaman or something, but after listening to a little bit of Mikoto's lines (I'm assuming this is the English VA you were referring to, but if not, my bad), I think that would fit pretty well. I'd love to hear Geno with a deeper, cool sounding voice. Seems pretty fitting.
And holy cow, I'm surprised I'm not the only one who remembers Super Mario guy!
Back when I did watch it, I found it kind of hysterical and charming for its unique ways of incorporating Family guy into Mario RPG.
Granted, I kind of hate Family guy now (more the later seasons than the earlier ones), and I think I stopped watching it by the time I found Super Mario guy too, but there really was some nice effort put in as an homage to family guy and a love letter to Mario RPG. Shame LordoftheJimmy didn't make it further, but hey, he had his reasons for stopping.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I always got the impression that Geno would be silent like Megaman or something, but after listening to a little bit of Mikoto's lines (I'm assuming this is the English VA you were referring to, but if not, my bad), I think that would fit pretty well. I'd love to hear Geno with a deeper, cool sounding voice. Seems pretty fitting.
And holy cow, I'm surprised I'm not the only one who remembers Super Mario guy!
Back when I did watch it, I found it kind of hysterical and charming for its unique ways of incorporating Family guy into Mario RPG.
Granted, I kind of hate Family guy now (more the later seasons than the earlier ones), and I think I stopped watching it by the time I found Super Mario guy too, but there really was some nice effort put in as an homage to family guy and a love letter to Mario RPG. Shame LordoftheJimmy didn't make it further, but hey, he had his reasons for stopping.

Yep, that's him. This guy. He's voiced by John Bradford.

It's really hard to find English voice clips of him, so this is the best example I could provide:

I love how he says "Ravenous Fire".

That said, either Geno using SMRPG sound effects or a deep voice a la Mikoto or Xander Mobus would be amazing. I'd be happy with either.

I am definitely not a fan of the newer seasons either, but there's just something about the old seasons that's fun to watch from time to time. Kinda like the Simpsons. LOTJ definitely put a lot of work into Super Mario Guy, some of the jokes didn't hit obviously (as does many of Family Guy's jokes) but it definitely made it feel like Family Guy to me, but with a Mario twist.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

Yep, that's him. This guy. He's voiced by John Bradford.

It's really hard to find English voice clips of him, so this is the best example I could provide:

I love how he says "Ravenous Fire".

That said, either Geno using SMRPG sound effects or a deep voice a la Mikoto or Xander Mobus would be amazing. I'd be happy with either.

I am definitely not a fan of the newer seasons either, but there's just something about the old seasons that's fun to watch from time to time. Kinda like the Simpsons. LOTJ definitely put a lot of work into Super Mario Guy, some of the jokes didn't hit obviously (as does many of Family Guy's jokes) but it definitely made it feel like Family Guy to me, but with a Mario twist.
Yup, I can get down with this as a voice for Geno. I'd be happy with either too, but to hear Geno come back from the dead with a VOICE now, especially one this cool... That'd be special.
And yeah, I'm in 100% agreement about the old seasons. I still enjoy them too (certainly at least by comparison). Super Mario guy probably falls into that category too, though it's been a while.
Watch Sakurai subvert expectations and get LOTJ himself to voice Geno with his Brian impression.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Take as long as you need on that post. I personally wouldn't care if you bullet pointed it, or wrote a bigger thing. You should just do whatever you think gets what you want to say across the best (I personally like chunky paragraphs though).

Also, I am sincerely hoping the Game Awards character is someone that is a total mystery like Joker (a *surprise* if you will). Sure, knowing characters in advance can be good to mentally prepare yourself, but I also like surprises!

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Take as long as you need on that post. I personally wouldn't care if you bullet pointed it, or wrote a bigger thing. You should just do whatever you think gets what you want to say across the best (I personally like chunky paragraphs though).

Also, I am sincerely hoping the Game Awards character is someone that is a total mystery like Joker (a *surprise* if you will). Sure, knowing characters in advance can be good to mentally prepare yourself, but I also like surprises!
So what you're saying is you want to make it so that
"You'll never see it coming"?

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So you want Gordon Freeman, eh?
the leak was already confirmed fake.

Pretty pathetic that apparently all the guy wanted to do was bait PapaGenos out of making a video.

Some people got way too much time on their hands, for better or worse.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

I'm right there with you. Banjo was hype and would've been no matter what, but because leaks and Nintendo dun goofd respectively, Hero and Terry didn't pack as much punch as they could've had in my opinion. The Fighter Pass' goal is to bring us characters we wouldn't expect in Smash, so I want to be surprised damn it!

Crazy to think we haven't had any completely out of the blue Smash announcements in around an year.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, wait, what did I miss? Did a leak happen and get proven fake in the space of a few hours?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Everyone knows it wouldn't be Gordon Freeman. Because they are gonna go with Heavy Weapons Guy. No bias of course.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
..I just remembered the scene where Bowser and Booster kiss Mario. I want to see that in HD. Has anyone made that?

OffBi

Smash Ace
No seriously what was that smash leak you guys were talking about earlier???
Also hi Fatman anything you want to share with the class?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice you take your good time with that essay or list of yours, because we all know it will be one hell of a read. You can't rush a masterpiece people. ;)

Edit: Typo missing a s on the essay my bad.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
the leak was already confirmed fake.

Pretty pathetic that apparently all the guy wanted to do was bait PapaGenos out of making a video.

Some people got way too much time on their hands, for better or worse.
What leak???

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'll have to kiss my job goodbye, my ass will be sued to oblivion and I'll end up behind bars, but I'll sacrifice it all for you guys.

The Gordon Freeman leak is real and I have PROOF!

gordon freeman smash.jpg

credit goes to whoever made this mii fighter it looks pretty good ngl

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories. I used to be a lot like EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman . I used to be able to write paragraph after paragraph and debate 4 or 5 people at once and I even established a "three day rule" where I wouldn't carry on a debate for longer than three days for the sake of "courtesy." It's too real some days (we even share the same name for God's sake) and I find myself having to walk away for a few hours. Obviously I don't really write tomes anymore. There's definitely a value in being succinct but it digs up too much of the past. In the days following Brawl's final reveals, I very strongly debated deleting my posts and asking an admin to close my account. The shame and embarrassment was more than palpable. I had spent 2 1/2 years pushing the Geno campaign only to feel like I had let everyone down...

It still amazes me how many people from the Brawl days still have a presence in this thread. KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , ctt4lfecw ctt4lfecw , TBone06 TBone06 , @Foz , Xigger, etc. Beyond that, you have people like TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , kiteinthesky kiteinthesky , SSGuy SSGuy and papagenos papagenos who I've known to some degree since the Smash 4 days. Nowadays you have Xigger, Ovaltine Ovaltine , and Slender Slender being the main driving forces behind Operation: Star Fall. There's so much dedication and the fact that I've known some of these guys since 2005 is really humbling. 14 1/2 years! That's longer than if we had met on the playground in Kindergarten and shook hands and went to different colleges following our high school graduation! It's nuts but it gives me comfort in how important this is to so many people.

I've already explained this but obviously Geno and SMRPG are very important to me. It goes way beyond just getting a character in Smash and ultimately (pun intended) has to do with immortalizing a game and a character that had such a positive impact on me. Smash Bros is not only the Nintendo Hall of Fame but has turned into the Gaming Hall of Fame too. For what Geno and SMRPG did for 8 year old me and many, many others, I believe it deserves this honor and that's never changed. It was my driving force during Brawl, the reason my hope for Geno in Smash 4 never fully extinguished, and why I came back with such force and bravado with Ultimate. So, while I try to navigate my own insecurities and past hurt, I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Friendly reminder that my Mario on PS4 leak hasn’t been debunked yet. :p

MattX20

Smash Hero
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories. I used to be a lot like EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman . I used to be able to write paragraph after paragraph and debate 4 or 5 people at once and I even established a "three day rule" where I wouldn't carry on a debate for longer than three days for the sake of "courtesy." It's too real some days (we even share the same name for God's sake) and I find myself having to walk away for a few hours. Obviously I don't really write tomes anymore. There's definitely a value in being succinct but it digs up too much of the past. In the days following Brawl's final reveals, I very strongly debated deleting my posts and asking an admin to close my account. The shame and embarrassment was more than palpable. I had spent 2 1/2 years pushing the Geno campaign only to feel like I had let everyone down...

It still amazes me how many people from the Brawl days still have a presence in this thread. KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , ctt4lfecw ctt4lfecw , TBone06 TBone06 , @Foz , Xigger, etc. Beyond that, you have people like TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , kiteinthesky kiteinthesky , SSGuy SSGuy and papagenos papagenos who I've known to some degree since the Smash 4 days. Nowadays you have Xigger, Ovaltine Ovaltine , and Slender Slender being the main driving forces behind Operation: Star Fall. There's so much dedication and the fact that I've known some of these guys since 2005 is really humbling. 14 1/2 years! That's longer than if we had met on the playground in Kindergarten and shook hands and went to different colleges following our high school graduation! It's nuts but it gives me comfort in how important this is to so many people.

I've already explained this but obviously Geno and SMRPG are very important to me. It goes way beyond just getting a character in Smash and ultimately (pun intended) has to do with immortalizing a game and a character that had such a positive impact on me. Smash Bros is not only the Nintendo Hall of Fame but has turned into the Gaming Hall of Fame too. For what Geno and SMRPG did for 8 year old me and many, many others, I believe it deserves this honor and that's never changed. It was my driving force during Brawl, the reason my hope for Geno in Smash 4 never fully extinguished, and why I came back with such force and bravado with Ultimate. So, while I try to navigate my own insecurities and past hurt, I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.
Take all the time you need

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

With how long you’ve been carrying the torch for Geno, being patient is the absolute least we can do. Do what you gotta do man.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories.
Just remember to double space and use size 12 times new roman font AND have at least three sources. :4pacman:

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
No really!
It's driving me nuts, WHAT SMASH LEAK WERE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom