• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So uh... nobody know what fake smash leak we were even talking about?? are you for real?
Anywats Fatmanonice, do you think that the source might be right about the 5th fighter? Or does he have incomplete source?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
After Geno get's in, I will be spending the majority of my time on these forums in the Shantae thread. What about you guys, where we'll you'll be settling at on this site after Geno get's in?
I don’t really know. Aside from just hanging around here I guess I’ll be in Doomguy support. My only real wants left are assists and Mii costumes and I don't really want to drive myself crazy hoping they’ll get upgraded

AugustusB

Smash Champion
After Geno get's in, I will be spending the majority of my time on these forums in the Shantae thread. What about you guys, where we'll you'll be settling at on this site after Geno get's in?
I am not as active as I once was. With Banjo getting in (My absolute number 1), All I really want is Geno. KOS-MOS would be really dope, but I would honestly be done with speculation once Geno drops. I will certainly stick around, especially if we all get together and have a full on Geno tournament :D

D

Deleted member

We did it contreras.

The hell spawn known as Mario Kart Tour got btfo by the Game Awards.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
After Geno is in I'll probably become a lot more nebulous on this board. The three characters I wanted here most before it opened up to third parties were Sonic, Geno, and Cloud and well... I'm in a pretty good position.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
All Smashboards users, the Game of the Year nominees have been revealed, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is on there! (Plus a nominee for best fighting game.)

Everyone, PLEASE vote for Smash, we all know the countless hours of love and passion poured into the game. Sakurai and his team deserve these awards. Please, pass this around wherever you can and spread the word! Let's all show Sakurai how grateful we are for all him and his team have done for us!

Best Fighting Game:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196848900977545217?s=19

Game of the Year:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196838294392332289?s=19

(Of course, if you feel like another game should win these categories you do you, but for those who don't... please vote!)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Three Houses deserves more than one nomination imo but it should win that one at least
Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see it just under the strategy game nomination. Its chances of winning that is pretty high though.

TBone06

Smash Ace
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories. I used to be a lot like @EricTheGamerman . I used to be able to write paragraph after paragraph and debate 4 or 5 people at once and I even established a "three day rule" where I wouldn't carry on a debate for longer than three days for the sake of "courtesy." It's too real some days (we even share the same name for God's sake) and I find myself having to walk away for a few hours. Obviously I don't really write tomes anymore. There's definitely a value in being succinct but it digs up too much of the past. In the days following Brawl's final reveals, I very strongly debated deleting my posts and asking an admin to close my account. The shame and embarrassment was more than palpable. I had spent 2 1/2 years pushing the Geno campaign only to feel like I had let everyone down...

It still amazes me how many people from the Brawl days still have a presence in this thread. @KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , @ctt4lfecw , TBone06 TBone06 , @Foz , Xigger, etc. Beyond that, you have people like @TerminalMontage , @kiteinthesky , @SSGuy and @papagenos who I've known to some degree since the Smash 4 days. Nowadays you have Xigger, Ovaltine Ovaltine , and @Slender being the main driving forces behind Operation: Star Fall. There's so much dedication and the fact that I've known some of these guys since 2005 is really humbling. 14 1/2 years! That's longer than if we had met on the playground in Kindergarten and shook hands and went to different colleges following our high school graduation! It's nuts but it gives me comfort in how important this is to so many people.

I've already explained this but obviously Geno and SMRPG are very important to me. It goes way beyond just getting a character in Smash and ultimately (pun intended) has to do with immortalizing a game and a character that had such a positive impact on me. Smash Bros is not only the Nintendo Hall of Fame but has turned into the Gaming Hall of Fame too. For what Geno and SMRPG did for 8 year old me and many, many others, I believe it deserves this honor and that's never changed. It was my driving force during Brawl, the reason my hope for Geno in Smash 4 never fully extinguished, and why I came back with such force and bravado with Ultimate. So, while I try to navigate my own insecurities and past hurt, I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.
This gave me chills Fatman! It really has been a long road. I still can't believe the dedication we've all had since the Brawl days. We've all experienced the heartbreak, but we all stick together. I can't believe it's been that long. Hopefully when this is all over, we can all celebrate gloriously on Star Road.

We've made a lot of progress, and lets hope it all pays off. Well said brother!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, if Geno gets in, I will never have such lofty hopes and dreams for Smash ever again, because my dream additions will all be in... and I will simply cherish them as much as I can and, in the case of Ridley, K. Rool, and ESPECIALLY B-K, have been. I have no fear or worries over the aftermath if Geno makes it.

Okay, I have ONE fear, and that's remembering to get that stupid frog coin when I inevitably replay SMRPG in celebration if Geno makes it. :drshrug:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
All Smashboards users, the Game of the Year nominees have been revealed, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is on there! (Plus a nominee for best fighting game.)

Everyone, PLEASE vote for Smash, we all know the countless hours of love and passion poured into the game. Sakurai and his team deserve these awards. Please, pass this around wherever you can and spread the word! Let's all show Sakurai how grateful we are for all him and his team have done for us!

Best Fighting Game:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196848900977545217?s=19

Game of the Year:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196838294392332289?s=19

(Of course, if you feel like another game should win these categories you do you, but for those who don't... please vote!)
Done. While I was there I voted for Untitled Goose Game for Best Indie Game and Fresh Indie Game presented by Subway (as should you all), Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled for Best Racing Game, and Fortnite for best E-Sports game, because **** Overwatch.
Honestly, if Geno gets in, I will never have such lofty hopes and dreams for Smash ever again, because my dream additions will all be in... and I will simply cherish them as much as I can and, in the case of Ridley, K. Rool, and ESPECIALLY B-K, have been. I have no fear or worries over the aftermath if Geno makes it.

Okay, I have ONE fear, and that's remembering to get that stupid frog coin when I inevitably replay SMRPG in celebration if Geno makes it. :drshrug:
I know which one you're talking about. Remember, you have to jump on Toad's head to reach it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mentioned it in my post thanking Fatman, but I once upon a time had an account here that I made back in the Melee days, and I lurked for character tech and every now and again would voice my trashy opinion if something caught my eye. That was really the main draw of this site to me - to read up on what others have discovered regarding my main/secondaries and judge for myself how useful it is in a competitive environment. Falling into this board and this thread was something of an accident. Geno really is my number 1 and has been for as long as I've cared who gets into Smash. My second place picks are either absolutely impossible, already in the game, or doomed to an eternity of randomly appearing in a casual match. Isaac, or more appropriately, Felix (or Matthew I guess but he feels like a cop out and I really feel like Felix deserves some recognition for [plot reasons]), will always have my support, but whether or not he ends up in the game doesn't feel as... important, I guess? Like, with Geno, I want to know, every step of the way. I want to throw out my theories for why he'll be in, I want to read what everyone else has to say about it. I want to shoot down the haters and elevate the friends, and I just don't feel that way about any other character.

This is all a really long winded way of saying I probably won't be around much after he gets in. Despite my general distaste for flooding my server list in Discord, I will probably pop into the Geno discord because really, this community has earned my respect - regardless of the fact we're probably going to pick up a bunch of randos who have no skin in the game and just want to learn without the lab time. At least you'll all know where to find me.

D

Deleted member

Sad confessions: In probably 15+ playthroughs I have literally never been able to get that frog coin. I'm less of a gamer for it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Sad confessions: In probably 15+ playthroughs I have literally never been able to get that frog coin. I'm less of a gamer for it.
Does missing out on one Frog Coin prevent you from getting something cool? Or is there no consequence aside from the shame of missing it?

OffBi

Smash Ace
Wait nvm i found the leak you guys were talking about, yeah it's full of ****

D

Deleted member

Does missing out on one Frog Coin prevent you from getting something cool? Or is there no consequence aside from the shame of missing it?
It's just shame, you can basically print frog coins at Land's End as far as I know

Also while I'm admitting that I'm a filthy casual let me just add in:

Never got attack scarf (? 100 consecutive super jumps on 1 enemy)
Never got troopa pin (for getting to the top of the Paratroopa mountain real quick)

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
Done. While I was there I voted for Untitled Goose Game for Best Indie Game and Fresh Indie Game presented by Subway (as should you all), Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled for Best Racing Game, and Fortnite for best E-Sports game, because **** Overwatch.

I know which one you're talking about. Remember, you have to jump on Toad's head to reach it!
took me a couple years after the original release to get it. Me and my friend drove ourselves insane searching for it, before we finally in a gaming magazine(remember those anyone?). When we found out you could only get it at the start of the game, we were both like "nope."

This was before either of us were seasoned RPG gamers and realized just how easy SMRPG was, which is also why I didn't go back until like...1998 and decided to start a new SMRPG file. Now Every time I create a new game I always get that one, because regardless of whether or not I decide to find all hidden chests later, I know there's one that I only get one shot at.

The one thing that still drives me insane though after all these years is trying to get the elusive super suit. I've only gotten the 30 super jumps ONCE in my entire life playing SMRPG, and then I learn later on in the early days of the internet "Oh but if you do 100 you get the absolute best armor in the game".....

:| One. Hundred. Super jumps....yeah That still gives me nightmares just thinking of attempting that.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So, what games are you guys hoping to win tga awards beyond Smash Ultimate?
I really hope Iceborne wins best RPG. The MH devs went absolutely nuts with the fanservice in this game, adding one popular request after the other. You could almost say it's the SSBU of Monster Hunter lol

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You can keep the Super Jump going to 100? Geez, I just thought it had a limit. Is it the same for Star Rain?
Not sure about Star Rain, but yeah Super Jump doesn't normally have a cap to it, you can just go on forever in most cases. I think it's only capped when you're fighting bosses.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i hope to continue chatting with Icewolf even after we finish my comic.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Just thinking here, but if Sony is participating in this tournament and everyone is leaning towards a Sony character... what if it’s Kratos :0

D

Deleted member

I'll admit, I don't have years of history backing Geno (I was on the Smash Rumble DS forums back then, and way too young to speculate and support Geno) but hearing all of your guys' fond memories and keeping your support even when things looked grim is nothing short of amazing.
For all the talk about how Geno is a "meme pick", you guys prove he isn't. I really want you guys to stick around in this thread, but I feel like it'll dwindle if Geno does get revealed at some point, kinda like the Banjo thread.

That said, I'm likely going to be supporting Doomguy if he doesn't come with Geno. After that? I'm not entirely sure. Everyone is here. I wanted Lucas back in Smash 4 and I got him. I wanted Pokemon Trainer to come back, and I got him in Ultimate. Young Link even came back, I missed him from Melee.

As for people not in Smash yet, when I was playing Brawl I was perfectly happy with the roster, though I did want to play as Shadow. Come Smash 4 I started to want Sceptile because Ivysaur was missing, and Squirtle was replaced by Greninja. So I wanted a grass-type, and it's one of my favourite grass types so it's a good fit.
I also wanted Neku at some point and still do, I feel that he has a wide range of moves to use. Those pins really make up the game.
Then come pre-Ultimate, and I knew Sceptile wasn't getting in, so I chose the next grass starter I really liked - Decidueye. I liked him in Pokken and I would have liked to see him here too.

Apart from that? I still want Dixie and Shadow. With echo fighters becoming a thing, it's mind-boggling that these two characters are still not in yet.

I can kinda understand Dixie not being in because K Rool needs to get all the glory, and he did. But Shadow? Why is he still an assist? It doesn't make any sense to me. Did Sega want Shadow to be unique? Both characters are obvious picks for echo fighters, yet Sakurai chose not to include either one of them. Why? Yet you have characters like Richter get in (which I was one of the only people who actually knew who Richter was because of SOTN)

All they had to do was change Dixie's Up-B to a helicopter spin, similar to DK's. All they had to do is change Shadow's Up-B to Chaos Control, or a teleport/warp like Palutena and Mewtwo.

I like Dark Samus and Richter, but if I could swap them for Dixie and Shadow, I would do it. DK's representation would be perfect with Dixie, it just feels so weird without her. Shadow needs to get in so we can all have that Super Mario Bros Z fight we've been waiting for so long, haha.

So.. if I'm not going to be here still if Geno does ever get in, I'll be supporting these characters: Doomguy, Neku, Dixie, Shadow

link2702

Smash Champion
After/when/if Geno get's in, I'll probably hang around the official Geno board itself mostly. Posting Videos of mine in action, trying to discuss his metagame, etc.

I also plan to train my ass off as Geno. He'll be the only character I probably spend extensive time with in training mode to see what true combos and what doesn't, as well as try to perfect perfect parrying against a lot of characters as him.

He'll be the only character I'll seriously "train" as when he releases, as opposed to just jumping in quickplay or arenas. The only ones who've came close to that have been Ken and ryu, and that's just cuz you gotta head ot training mode once and awhile as them if you plan to use em just even once and awhile to ensure you don't goof the inputs too often.

Also.....I know some have probably thought about this too but....just think....if he does get in, there will be an official geno amiibo to go with him!

I am not much of an amiibo fan, in fact I don't have any. But I'd buy a Geno one in a heartbeat. Two in fact. One to actually train and use, the other to stay in the box and never be touched.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hope Iceborne wins best RPG. The MH devs went absolutely nuts with the fanservice in this game, adding one popular request after the other. You could almost say it's the SSBU of Monster Hunter lol
I hope it loses to KHIII
Yes I am a PC player and yes I am jealous. One of my friends has been playing it on PS4 and whenever he talks about how good it is it physically hurts me.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Man I really hope Smash wins for fighting game.
Mk 11 was a disappointment
Jump Force was garbage
DoA 6 I heard was meh and had too many microtransactions
SamSho was good I heard
And then Smash was literally one of the best and most well crafted games in recent memory. Honestly if it doesnt win im gonna call bs

As for game of the year I want it to win but the competition is tough. Theyre all deserving tbh (except idk what control is so I cant pass judgement on that)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just thinking here, but if Sony is participating in this tournament and everyone is leaning towards a Sony character... what if it’s Kratos :0
Sony's far more than just a gaming company, and all of the other companies involved have nothing to do with video games. (the Japan Patent Office is participating - that doesn't mean that it will be represented in Smash)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i kinda want all nintedo games to win, even Three Houses. Though the rest are in the family category so i wish for Luigi's Mansion 3 to win.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Personally, Final Fantasy XIV deserves some love. Still need to finish the latest expansion, but God its good!
Shadowbringers is easily their best expansion to date, despite any misgivings I might have had with the viera and hrothgar situation. They really knocked it out of the park.

D

Deleted member

There's a couple of things I don't like in Ultimate still, like:
  • The lack of no true story/adventure mode like we had in Melee and Brawl, and I miss Boss Battles from Brawl.
  • Some Echoes that were prime picks for echoes were just seemingly shoved to the side as Spirits or Assists.
  • Characters that heavily need to be reworked are still yet to be reworked, like Mario, Link, Ganon and Sonic, to name a few examples.
  • Abysmal stages that returned (75M) but not ones that actually made sense (Pac-Maze, Melee Mute City)
  • Overall lack of new stages like Pokemon, Xenoblade, DK, Sonic et cetera.
  • Old voice clips from Brawl and Smash 4 being used. Many of the original cast still use their old voice clips like Mario's, not using new ones from Odyssey. Yet Link's VA matched BOTW. Viridi's VA replacement is awful. Snake's codecs are not new. Palutena's Guidance doesn't work for DLC.
Even after all that, I still feel that Smash deserves to win. For Sakurai's sake. He didn't have to bring everyone back, no one was demanding that. We all knew going into the new Smash that there would be cuts, but we turned out to be wrong, thankfully.
Fan favourites such as Home Run and Stage Builder were improved by tenfold. All characters received new animations, and not just copied and pasted from Brawl/Smash 4. He didn't have to follow the Smash Ballot and give us Ridley and K Rool, but he did. He didn't have to follow through with Banjo and the Belmonts and Chrom, but he did.

Sakurai has really outdone himself this time. As a casual, I vastly preferred Brawl to Smash 4. I just loved the single-player options Brawl had.
Now Ultimate has outdone Brawl in my eyes, my favourite out of the Smash games.
Truly everyone is here. Truly this is "Ultimate".

I remember when everyone thought the Smash on Switch would just be an enhanced Smash 4 port. Oh how wrong we were.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
There's a couple of things I don't like in Ultimate still, like:
  • The lack of no true story/adventure mode like we had in Melee and Brawl, and I miss Boss Battles from Brawl.
  • Some Echoes that were prime picks for echoes were just seemingly shoved to the side as Spirits or Assists.
  • Characters that heavily need to be reworked are still yet to be reworked, like Mario, Link, Ganon and Sonic, to name a few examples.
  • Abysmal stages that returned (75M) but not ones that actually made sense (Pac-Maze, Melee Mute City)
  • Overall lack of new stages like Pokemon, Xenoblade, DK, Sonic et cetera.
  • Old voice clips from Brawl and Smash 4 being used. Many of the original cast still use their old voice clips like Mario's, not using new ones from Odyssey. Yet Link's VA matched BOTW. Viridi's VA replacement is awful. Snake's codecs are not new. Palutena's Guidance doesn't work for DLC.
Even after all that, I still feel that Smash deserves to win. For Sakurai's sake. He didn't have to bring everyone back, no one was demanding that. We all knew going into the new Smash that there would be cuts, but we turned out to be wrong, thankfully.
Fan favourites such as Home Run and Stage Builder were improved by tenfold. All characters received new animations, and not just copied and pasted from Brawl/Smash 4. He didn't have to follow the Smash Ballot and give us Ridley and K Rool, but he did. He didn't have to follow through with Banjo and the Belmonts and Chrom, but he did.

Sakurai has really outdone himself this time. As a casual, I vastly preferred Brawl to Smash 4. I just loved the single-player options Brawl had.
Now Ultimate has outdone Brawl in my eyes, my favourite out of the Smash games.
Truly everyone is here. Truly this is "Ultimate".

I remember when everyone thought the Smash on Switch would just be an enhanced Smash 4 port. Oh how wrong we were.
i'd like to agree with you on point 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. i had this complaints to the game myself. though you are right on smash deserving to win.

D

Deleted member

For Point 4, the stages that came back are all incredible, and it was pretty much all of them. But there's some really horrible ones that shouldn't have come back. Why did we get Pac-Land instead of Pac-Maze? Why didn't Melee Mute City return? PokeFloats? Woolly World? What about Orbital Gate Assault - they spent a year on that!

I understand why Zebes/Sector Z didn't return because they were too similar to Brinstar and Corneria, anyways. Mushroom Kingdom Melee didn't return because Mushroom Kingdom 64 returned. Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls didn't return because of Summit and probably just horrible to play on.
I get why Pyrosphere didn't come back because the main gimmick (Ridley) is now playable. Miiverse is absent for obvious reasons (because it doesn't exist anymore and it was a Battlefield clone anyways)

Even for a game with huge missed opportunities at some areas, it outdoes itself. Just look at what we got from SNK recently! Castlevania, Street Fighter too!
There would have been NO way we would have gotten content like that back in Brawl and Smash 4.

There's some complaints I have with Ultimate still, like I said. But it's still a well-crafted game, well worth the price. It doesn't take away everything you once loved like Pokemon. It doesn't sell you the content later on like other triple A titles.
That's what makes Sakurai so unique. He doesn't kneel to scummy behaviour like they do. He actually respects his fanbase and gives them a game worth playing.

And that's why I want Ultimate to win. There hasn't been a game like this in a long while, and probably never will be.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
For Point 4, the stages that came back are all incredible, and it was pretty much all of them. But there's some really horrible ones that shouldn't have come back. Why did we get Pac-Land instead of Pac-Maze? Why didn't Melee Mute City return? PokeFloats? Woolly World? What about Orbital Gate Assault - they spent a year on that!

I understand why Zebes/Sector Z didn't return because they were too similar to Brinstar and Corneria, anyways. Mushroom Kingdom Melee didn't return because Mushroom Kingdom 64 returned. Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls didn't return because of Summit and probably just horrible to play on.
I get why Pyrosphere didn't come back because the main gimmick (Ridley) is now playable. Miiverse is absent for obvious reasons (because it doesn't exist anymore and it was a Battlefield clone anyways)

Even for a game with huge missed opportunities at some areas, it outdoes itself. Just look at what we got from SNK recently! Castlevania, Street Fighter too!
There would have been NO way we would have gotten content like that back in Brawl and Smash 4.

There's some complaints I have with Ultimate still, like I said. But it's still a well-crafted game, well worth the price. It doesn't take away everything you once loved like Pokemon. It doesn't sell you the content later on like other triple A titles.
That's what makes Sakurai so unique. He doesn't kneel to scummy behaviour like they do. He actually respects his fanbase and gives them a game worth playing.

And that's why I want Ultimate to win. There hasn't been a game like this in a long while, and probably never will be.
i find stages such as 75m to be a very fun stage with it's hazards trying to represent their games respectfully, but if you dislike them than fine by me. The fact that i like those kinds of stages makes me sad that Orbital Gate Assault wasn't present and i really wanted to try the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom