• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Friendly reminder that my Mario on PS4 leak hasn’t been debunked yet. :p
You should give your leak even more plausibility - play Super Mario Run on a Smart TV by casting from your Phone while a PS4 is hooked up to the TV with the fake boxart sitting on top of it.

We have the makings of a Grinch Leak here.

T2by4

Smash Lord
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories. I used to be a lot like @EricTheGamerman . I used to be able to write paragraph after paragraph and debate 4 or 5 people at once and I even established a "three day rule" where I wouldn't carry on a debate for longer than three days for the sake of "courtesy." It's too real some days (we even share the same name for God's sake) and I find myself having to walk away for a few hours. Obviously I don't really write tomes anymore. There's definitely a value in being succinct but it digs up too much of the past. In the days following Brawl's final reveals, I very strongly debated deleting my posts and asking an admin to close my account. The shame and embarrassment was more than palpable. I had spent 2 1/2 years pushing the Geno campaign only to feel like I had let everyone down...

It still amazes me how many people from the Brawl days still have a presence in this thread. @KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , @ctt4lfecw , @TBone06 , @Foz , Xigger, etc. Beyond that, you have people like @TerminalMontage , kiteinthesky kiteinthesky , @SSGuy and @papagenos who I've known to some degree since the Smash 4 days. Nowadays you have Xigger, @Ovaltine , and @Slender being the main driving forces behind Operation: Star Fall. There's so much dedication and the fact that I've known some of these guys since 2005 is really humbling. 14 1/2 years! That's longer than if we had met on the playground in Kindergarten and shook hands and went to different colleges following our high school graduation! It's nuts but it gives me comfort in how important this is to so many people.

I've already explained this but obviously Geno and SMRPG are very important to me. It goes way beyond just getting a character in Smash and ultimately (pun intended) has to do with immortalizing a game and a character that had such a positive impact on me. Smash Bros is not only the Nintendo Hall of Fame but has turned into the Gaming Hall of Fame too. For what Geno and SMRPG did for 8 year old me and many, many others, I believe it deserves this honor and that's never changed. It was my driving force during Brawl, the reason my hope for Geno in Smash 4 never fully extinguished, and why I came back with such force and bravado with Ultimate. So, while I try to navigate my own insecurities and past hurt, I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.
Dang that's some insane dedication. Over 14 1/2 years. I've been hopping from character to character and Geno is my last stop to having the perfect roster.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.
no worries, man. The best stuff is made with time and care. Your theorycrafting posts are always a delight to read, and part of the reason I keep coming back. (That and the determination of all the wonderful people here). Can't wait to see it when it's done!

No really!
It's driving me nuts, WHAT SMASH LEAK WERE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?
Oh my god, I can't believe you don't already know. It's the latest sensation that's sweeping the nation!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
..You know something? Maybe it's just because I really need to sleep, but now I'm sort of worrying that after Geno gets in, after the first few weeks or so the hype will wear off and I'll just think "Now what?"

I've been supporting and wanting Geno to get into something for years, though not as long as some of you have, and it's just like.. what do I do once my wish is finally granted? What do you think when, once you've reached the top of the mountain, you look down at all of the footsteps it took you to get that far? I hope I'm not coming off as negative, I just feel weird right now and wanted to get it out. My connection to Geno is emotional, yeah, but it's a sort of thing where he and his game are very important to me and link me to an important older time in my life, but I wasn't exposed to SMRPG during any sort of traumatic period or relied on it for support like some of you have, and so to some extent I feel like perhaps my investment in him is 'lesser' or like I shouldn't compare myself to you. I want Geno to get in, but I don't want to feel empty after he does.

I'm probably just rambling.

Dynamic Worlok

..You know something? Maybe it's just because I really need to sleep, but now I'm sort of worrying that after Geno gets in, after the first few weeks or so the hype will wear off and I'll just think "Now what?"

I've been supporting and wanting Geno to get into something for years, though not as long as some of you have, and it's just like.. what do I do once my wish is finally granted? What do you think when, once you've reached the top of the mountain, you look down at all of the footsteps it took you to get that far? I hope I'm not coming off as negative, I just feel weird right now and wanted to get it out. My connection to Geno is emotional, yeah, but it's a sort of thing where he and his game are very important to me and link me to an important older time in my life, but I wasn't exposed to SMRPG during any sort of traumatic period or relied on it for support like some of you have, and so to some extent I feel like perhaps my investment in him is 'lesser' or like I shouldn't compare myself to you. I want Geno to get in, but I don't want to feel empty after he does.

When we get to the top of the mountain, we find another mountain to climb, but cherish always our victories past, as they shape the path we take

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

If it makes you feel better as someone who went through the years long crusade for Banjo and finally got him. The happiness didn't fade and I found new talking points in the Smash scene so I never had a "now what" moment. Others might be different but I think if support is genuine and you do care about Smash then you shouldn't feel hollow afterwards.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
This isn't "the" essay but more of a precursor. The truth of the matter is that I haven't written an essay like this for Smash since the Brawl days and it brings back painful memories. I used to be a lot like @EricTheGamerman . I used to be able to write paragraph after paragraph and debate 4 or 5 people at once and I even established a "three day rule" where I wouldn't carry on a debate for longer than three days for the sake of "courtesy." It's too real some days (we even share the same name for God's sake) and I find myself having to walk away for a few hours. Obviously I don't really write tomes anymore. There's definitely a value in being succinct but it digs up too much of the past. In the days following Brawl's final reveals, I very strongly debated deleting my posts and asking an admin to close my account. The shame and embarrassment was more than palpable. I had spent 2 1/2 years pushing the Geno campaign only to feel like I had let everyone down...

It still amazes me how many people from the Brawl days still have a presence in this thread. @KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , @ctt4lfecw , @TBone06 , @Foz , Xigger, etc. Beyond that, you have people like @TerminalMontage , kiteinthesky kiteinthesky , @SSGuy and @papagenos who I've known to some degree since the Smash 4 days. Nowadays you have Xigger, @Ovaltine , and @Slender being the main driving forces behind Operation: Star Fall. There's so much dedication and the fact that I've known some of these guys since 2005 is really humbling. 14 1/2 years! That's longer than if we had met on the playground in Kindergarten and shook hands and went to different colleges following our high school graduation! It's nuts but it gives me comfort in how important this is to so many people.

I've already explained this but obviously Geno and SMRPG are very important to me. It goes way beyond just getting a character in Smash and ultimately (pun intended) has to do with immortalizing a game and a character that had such a positive impact on me. Smash Bros is not only the Nintendo Hall of Fame but has turned into the Gaming Hall of Fame too. For what Geno and SMRPG did for 8 year old me and many, many others, I believe it deserves this honor and that's never changed. It was my driving force during Brawl, the reason my hope for Geno in Smash 4 never fully extinguished, and why I came back with such force and bravado with Ultimate. So, while I try to navigate my own insecurities and past hurt, I'd like to thank you all for being so supportive and I'll try to get the essay out when I can.
The legends say that a knight known as Fatmanonice spent year after year riding his loyal horse with a sword in his hand and a flag on his back with the words ♡ ♪ !? In search of rescuing his beloved friend from the stars, he climbed the highest mountain, crossed the iciest lands and defeated each of the adversaries that crossed his path. many times he wondered if he should abandon his dream and regret the long road he had managed to travel but at the end of the day a small star in the sky always smiled at him letting him know that they would soon be together again and all that effort would have been worth it .
jokes aside I got something emotional reading your precursor so I was inspired and created this little story

D

Deleted member

I waited for Banjo for just about a decade. Seeing him be announced at E3 was probably the absolute highest point for Smash for me, so much so that I legitimately cried. A few months later and yeah, the hype is worn off, but I can't say I'm not still satisfied with having him. I play him constantly and there's still this sense of validation that Sakurai, Nintendo and Microsoft considered him to be a worthwhile addition to what has more or less become a celebration of video games.
Part of the journey is the end, after all. If Geno does get in, despite all the naysaying and arguing, nothing will be able to take that away from you.
'Cept for Smash 6 but that's not relevant to this

Last edited by a moderator:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

The answer is simple: you build a spaceport at the top of the mountain and start exploring the solar system. Then the galaxy.

That's the rule of life: never stop pursuing epic ****. To stop doing that is to fall into stagnation, which is a path full of darkness. Don't become complacent after we're done, whatever you do.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

As someone who got King K. Rool as his most wanted character, cherish your victory for getting Geno forever. You'll likely go back and rewatch his (probably amazing) reveal trailer multiple times, and smile when you hear Xander Mobius say "GENO!" on the title screen. You'll spend the entire first year looking through everyone's reactions, from hyped screams to tearful emotions. You will be blown away by the level of care Sakurai put into him when he showcases Geno in his livestream. And, when he finally releases, not only do you get to play as him, but also alongside the other 70+ characters in the roster.

Then move on to the next character to support.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I waited for Banjo for just about a decade. Seeing him be announced at E3 was probably the absolute highest point for Smash for me, so much so that I legitimately cried. A few months later and yeah, the hype is worn off, but I can't say I'm not still satisfied with having him. I play him constantly and there's still this sense of validation that Sakurai, Nintendo and Microsoft considered him to be a worthwhile addition to what has more or less become a celebration of video games.
Part of the journey is the end, after all. If Geno does get in, despite all the naysaying and arguing, nothing will be able to take that away from you.
'Cept for Smash 6 but that's not relevant to this
Smash 6 dlc cycle is gonna be hell.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

:ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: along with Goemon were all my most wanted characters for Smash since I gotten into the series back during Melee's release. I waited 17 to 18 years for the first three and I don't know if I ever will get Goemon. But to answer your question: After Geno, find yourself another wish.

Grumbo

Smash Ace

When Geno makes it we’ll all rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful fandom

D

Deleted member

4:40 mark if it doesn't start there. This post reminded me of this legendary interaction and I just had to bring it up.

I know that Smash is something different to everyone, so there's a chance you and others in this thread aren't deep into Smash as a competitive thing, and it's a way to bond with friends or family, or maybe just a game you come to every now and again to satisfy your fanfiction matchups, or anything, really. For me, it's an outlet for my competitive nature, so once he gets in, I don't have it all, I have the beginning of a new path, to get results with the character I've thought was missing since side characters started getting in back in Melee.

I know he's been brought up a bit lately, but I'll take it back to Mega Man. If he had gotten in back in Brawl, it wouldn't have been as hype. Battle Network was just winding down, Star Force was becoming a thing, as well as ZX. Life was good for the characters and his fans. Hell, a year after Brawl's release, Mega Man 9 came out, something of a legendary title for longtime fans of the series, especially those of us who had always imagined it to be a bridge between 8 and X (considering X a 10... good times). But things took a pretty dim turn after 2009 - we got Mega Man 10, sure, but Legends 3 got canceled when all of our hopes were so high, and that ugly parody of him got into Namco X Tekken... To see Mega Man, in Smash Bros, faithfully represented... That was out of nowhere. It was the memorial that he deserved. Nintendo, in their usual way, put more love and care into the character than Capcom had in half a decade, and even beyond that, he didn't get a full, new game until just last year. To this day, even though I don't really play him anymore, I look at him and I get this kind of dreamlike feeling that really lights me up when I say "damn, Mega Man is in Smash". I really think Geno's gonna be the same way, probably even more so.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The answer is simple: you build a spaceport at the top of the mountain and start exploring the solar system. Then the galaxy.

That's the rule of life: never stop pursuing epic ****. To stop doing that is to fall into stagnation, which is a path full of darkness. Don't become complacent after we're done, whatever you do.
I don’t have anything to seriously contribute beyond what others said, but this is the most Gurren Lagann response I’ve seen so far

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
When Geno is playable, I fully intend to take FULL credit of getting him added. I will steal the thunder from those who worked years and years to do it, instead boosting my Geno campaign of 3 1/2 weeks as THE pivotal movement that pushed Geno to playabilityness. I alone brought him to Ultimate. Of course, if he isn't playable, that's everyone else's fault, not mine.

Some call my credit plan greedy, some call it unfair, rude, egotistical, evil. My therapist describes me with 'hyper raging narcissistic God complex,' but really, I think they are all just jealous of my awesome hair. Things go all slow motion when I turn.

Anyway, the point is, Geno's cape is blue. BLUE. How do you counter that to claim he can't be playable? Spoilers: You can't.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
On the topic of Geno having a voice, it's honestly something I've never seriously thought about, considering he comes from a game with no voice acting even if he does talk.

If I had to think of a good VA for Geno... I'd probably pick Keith Silverstein. He's already in Smash Ultimate as the voice of Simon, and I imagine his voice for Geno being similar to the one he did for Speedwagon in the english dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Even Speedwagon supports Geno for Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I had a similar worry in regards to Ridley, and I suppose it will vary from person to person, but for me the best part of that long journey was the victory. When I see Ridley on the roster now I'm reminded of all the people who voiced their support for him alongside me, and of all the good and the bad stuff we went through together to get him there, it feels good to have been part of a passionate movement that succeeded in the end. It makes it all the more special playing as him as well, I still get that fluttering feeling in my stomach when I see his victory screen, and at this point I don't think that feeling will ever go away.

Of course I do miss the Ridley fanbase, I don't think I'll ever get to experience anything quite like that ride we had together again. But, and this is going to sound super cheesy, the spirit of the community lives on through the character, it'll only die once you begin taking the character for granted, so while I do miss the community and its crazy activity (especially as I don't actively support any characters anymore), I am only happy about how it all turned out.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I don’t have anything to seriously contribute beyond what others said, but this is the most Gurren Lagann response I’ve seen so far
Okay, off topic, but I recently watched Gurren Lagann because of this board (awhile back someone shared a really sick SMRPG and Gurren Lagann crossover comic), and it occurred to me that you guys have opened me up to a lot of different stuff. I guess my persuasiveness boils down to “Put SMRPG anywhere and I’ll suddenly become interested” lmao

(Show was great by the way, really empowering stuff)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
On the topic of Geno having a voice, it's honestly something I've never seriously thought about, considering he comes from a game with no voice acting even if he does talk.

If I had to think of a good VA for Geno... I'd probably pick Keith Silverstein. He's already in Smash Ultimate as the voice of Simon, and I imagine his voice for Geno being similar to the one he did for Speedwagon in the english dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Even Speedwagon supports Geno for Smash.
I didn’t know how badly I wanted Geno to sound like Speedwagon until you put the thought in my head, how dare you

Okay, off topic, but I recently watched Gurren Lagann because of this board (awhile back someone shared a really sick SMRPG and Gurren Lagann crossover comic), and it occurred to me that you guys have opened me up to a lot of different stuff. I guess my persuasiveness boils down to “Put SMRPG anywhere and I’ll suddenly become interested” lmao

(Show was great by the way, really empowering stuff)
First of all, I NEED to see that crossover artwork because it sounds amazing. Second, that’s awesome that this group introduced you to one of the greatest anime of all time. Recently these guys got me to watch the Green Eggs and Ham Netflix show and I absolutely loved it, so I guess what I’m saying is you guys should recommend more shows cause y’all have great taste XD

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
First of all, I NEED to see that crossover artwork because it sounds amazing. Second, that’s awesome that this group introduced you to one of the greatest anime of all time. Recently these guys got me to watch the Green Eggs and Ham Netflix show and I absolutely loved it, so I guess what I’m saying is you guys should recommend more shows cause y’all have great taste XD
Edit: Link isn’t working on mobile, but the link was to Webtoons. The comic is called “Star Road Crusaders” :)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After Geno get's in, I will be spending the majority of my time on these forums in the Shantae thread. What about you guys, where we'll you'll be settling at on this site after Geno get's in?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's this the protagonist of Half-Life the cool glasses wearing, gravity gun wielding Combine destroying. Gordon Freeman could be character pass #5? if he's it man I'm down Half-Life seems amazing and he'd be the best way to end the pass off. Although seems like it was just a rumor or such. Nothing more for now but he was mentioned interesting?

Anyway if Geno gets in I'll be ecstatic and still offer my support and gratitude he's in. I felt the same way when King K. Rool (my most wanted got in) I will continue to support other characters and still be happy the ones I want got in.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
After Geno get's in, I will be spending the majority of my time on these forums in the Shantae thread. What about you guys, where we'll you'll be settling at on this site after Geno get's in?
I'll probably stick to here until this thread becomes entirely dead, but I'll also finally go to other threads because I still haven't lel. Most likely to ones of other characters I really want like Waluigi and Bandana Dee and others I don't have much attachment to but want to support like Isaac and Shadow. This forum business is good fun, I should've jumped on the bandwagon earlier.

In regards to Geno himself, I'll pick him up and play a ton of him, just like I did with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo. I'm not even worried how he plays like because I'll do my best to play decently with him. And of course, I shall always look back fondly at the long journey that took place before our wishes were finally granted...

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate got nominated for GOTY, Best Fighting game, and Best Family game! Even if it doesn’t win any awards, Sakurai and his team still did an amazing job making the game and going all out for us.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm gonna keep hanging around here and with the Banjobros after Geno is revealed (barring some disaster). I hope the Geno cult doesn't dissipate if/when he makes it in the roster; this community right here is where most of the fun of Smash is for me.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Edit: Link isn’t working on mobile, but the link was to Webtoons. The comic is called “Star Road Crusaders” :)
Okay so I looked it up and that was pretty much the greatest thing I’ve seen in my life.

To continue the topic of Geno and anime here’s something I’d have more expected to be titled “Star Road Crusaders”

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Smash Ultimate got nominated for GOTY, Best Fighting game, and Best Family game! Even if it doesn’t win any awards, Sakurai and his team still did an amazing job making the game and going all out for us.
This might be my Smash bias talking but I reckon it'll win fighting game of the year, and probably family game of the year. Overall GOTY is a good pick no matter which way you cut it. Resident Evil 2 remake is super cool, Death Stranding seems to be a favourite judging by its 10(!) nominations, Outer Worlds does Fallout better than Bethesda ever did, Sekiro is really solid, and I've never really heard of Control, but it looks cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In regards to the Gordan Freeman thing, I have no idea what's happening myself. So I'm as confused as everyone. Guess we'll learn something or it's just a fake leak and nothing more. I'd be down if he got in though.

I will still post on these threads if Geno gets while still mostly supporting other characters will post in the Lycanroc and Bandana Dee threads. I don't think ether of them is getting in but I will offer my support.

After all the DLC is complete I'll be gone like a thief in the night never to return. I came back to see and react to the rest of the DLC be announced once that is complete I'm out. But I will forever be grateful for getting to meet all of you and one day I hope to check out Super Mario: and the Legend of the Seven Stars.

And be forever grateful Geno's in!

BZocky

Smash Ace
If Sakurai doesn’t win all those trophies you’ll know why Geno wasn’t at the Game Awards
:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Isaac thread probably. Sure he's an assist trophy but I'd love to support him whenever I can as he still is my #2 most wanted character.

Possibly also here and the Reimu thread. Maybe the Phoenix Wright thread and the Rex thread as well but I wouldn't post on it nearly as often as I would the other three.

After the DLC is done though I'll probably leave this site entirely until Smash 6 (if this place is still here when the game comes around as truthfully forums are kind of dying..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom