• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Gentlemen, what number would you rate Geno's chances after seeing what we all just witness? I would rate Geno at 80% or 85% percent.
In the Fighter’s Pass? About 30%.
In general, like as some sort of bonus? 70%, easily. I could totally see them doing a bonus character like that, or even as part of an SMRPG re-release of some sort.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why show your hands that you have access to "insert third-party here" if you are planning to have that character later as DLC. Don¨t get me wrong, I don¨t call it impossible, I just find the choice weird if that's the cause.
Given all the stuff they had to code that's related to Spirits, and the amount of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they were worked on and Sakurai wanted some characters negotiated for as Spirits before Nintendo's DLC plans were finished or even before they shared them with Sakurai and his devs, especially since it seems Sakurai had some amount of control over DLC choices and he was only shared the plans last January.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think a percent total would be rather arbitrary and thus kinda pointless but I'd say his perceived chances are around what they were post November direct but before the datamine before launch

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Around minute 16:03 of the presentation, Sakurai shows that some chests might turn out to be Mimics. After re-watching the presentation a few times, the following thing came to mind.

Could that have been a subliminal hint? Or am I just reaching again?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Around minute 16:03 of the presentation, Sakurai shows that some chests might turn out to be Mimics. After re-watching the presentation a few times, the following thing came to mind.

There are mimics in other videogames.

maybe we're getting Steve with stuff from the Aether mod for Minecraft

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

You're right! He's in! It's time to pack our bags bois, we won!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Given all the stuff they had to code that's related to Spirits, and the amount of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they were worked on and Sakurai wanted some characters negotiated for as Spirits before Nintendo's DLC plans were finished or even before they shared them with Sakurai and his devs.
I find that as a weird situation concidering both Square and Nintendo wants him in. Heck, they did so far to give Sabi a C&D in hope to prevent stuff like Banjo reveal... why then put Geno as a spirit and fighters icon in the base game then.. But like I said... I¨m not saying that it means de confirmation, just the fact that I find it an odd choice of action if our star boy would come home as a character.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I find that as a weird situation concidering both Square and Nintendo wants him in. Heck, they did so far to give Sabi a C&D in hope to prevent stuff like Banjo reveal... why then put Geno as a spirit and fighters icon in the base game then.. But like I said... I¨m not saying that it means de confirmation for, just the fact that I find it odd if our star boy would come home as a character.
Sakurai had a team just for Spirits, and it's possible the Geno and Mallow spirits (among many others, maybe all of them that were in the initial release) weren't decided on by Nintendo - or, perhaps, they were decided on before DLC plans.

I mean, the whole story mode revolves around spirits. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all in 2017, and since Banjo-Kazooie was likely negotiated for in April last year, it's possible Nintendo's DLC plans weren't concrete when they shared them with Sakurai since it even seems he had some control over the choices.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
watch geno get announced right before we clear it and we get pushed to the fighter forum
Wouldn't it be amazing if he was announced on the page we surpass the Smash 4 K. Rool thread?

I find that as a weird situation concidering both Square and Nintendo wants him in. Heck, they did so far to give Sabi a C&D in hope to prevent stuff like Banjo reveal... why then put Geno as a spirit and fighters icon in the base game then.. But like I said... I¨m not saying that it means de confirmation, just the fact that I find it an odd choice of action if our star boy would come home as a character.
Maybe Sakurai made Geno a Spirit to fool us all into thinking he ain't coming, which he actually is. Good old daddy Sakurai.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I didn't say anything last night because I didn't want to stress you all out (more) but apparently Nintendo was really trying to cloud the water with this presentation. Sabi's source didn't give specifics on today's presentation because, according to him, it was actually really hard to tell fact from fiction because of all the "noise" Nintendo was putting out. Like I've said before, this is a big reason why I respect him because he only pulls the trigger if he's 100% sure on something. Again, for whatever reason, Nintendo was really serious about not having this presentation leaked and, now that we've all seen it, we still don't exactly know why. On an upside, I'm pretty sure the starling had nothing to do with this presentation but he hasn't confirmed or denied it either.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sakurai had a team just for Spirits, and it's possible the Geno and Mallow spirits (among many others, maybe all of them that were in the initial release) weren't decided on by Nintendo - or, perhaps, they were decided on before DLC plans.
I would have been with you if he was the first party. The things that make it weird is his third party status. That team couldn¨t just add any third party character even as spirits without greenlight from Nintendo.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Gentlemen, what number would you rate Geno's chances after seeing what we all just witness? I would rate Geno at 80% or 85% percent.
10%. The fact that porky's spirit is missing is a HUGE factor that makes me somewhat doubt Geno will make it. But the lack of a mii costume gives me hope. We are relying waaaaay too much on the fact that nintendo KNEW genos popularity and still made him a spirit, and I know spirits don't deconfrim, but why is porky missing? It makes me worried that they might have already known about genos popularity but still couldnt negotiate for him.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As for Geno himself, the lack of a Mii Costume is reassuring to me personally. I feel like, since Hero is a Square character now would be the time to show it off, but they didn't. I feel like nothing confirms or denies him, but I do feel a bit more optimistic about his future.

Firox

Smash Master
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I'm being honest, it's safely around 50% right now. Things could still easily go either way, but if we get Banjo's release and still no Geno costume, then that'll boost his chances even higher because it will further strike out the possibility of Nintendo releasing the costume with a random future DLC character. I know 50% seems pretty low for some, but if it's any consolation, I think the chances of that 50% going up is solidly around 90%. ;)

RingJ5

Smash Ace
So, I didn't say anything last night because I didn't want to stress you all out (more) but apparently Nintendo was really trying to cloud the water with this presentation. Sabi's source didn't give specifics on today's presentation because, according to him, it was actually really hard to tell fact from fiction because of all the "noise" Nintendo was putting out. Like I've said before, this is a big reason why I respect him because he only pulls the trigger if he's 100% sure on something. Again, for whatever reason, Nintendo was really serious about not having this presentation leaked and, now that we've all seen it, we still don't exactly know why. On an upside, I'm pretty sure the starling had nothing to do with this presentation but he hasn't confirmed or denied it either.
Isn’t Square, like, ridiculously stingy when it comes to insider info, with a lot of that “noise” being common when it comes to them? Could be related to that.

D

Deleted member

As someone else said giving Geno a percent is kind of arbitrary but if I had to say how good his chances are I'd say around what they were in September of last year just a little less so. I have hope for our boy but I wouldn't say he's a lock by any chance we've seen what happened to perceived locks (F in the chat for Shadow.) I'd say it's a coin-flip.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
10%. The fact that porky's spirit is missing is a HUGE factor that makes me somewhat doubt Geno will make it. But the lack of a mii costume gives me hope.
Now where would you rate Porky's chances? I would rate him at 80% or 85% percent. I ain't going to stop believing in Porky until I see him as a Spirit.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I would have been with you if he was the first party. The things that make it weird is his third party status. That team couldn¨t just add any third party character even as spirits without greenlight from Nintendo.
Then it's possible they were decided on before the DLC plans, or Sakurai asked them and they said yes despite Geno being a potential DLC candidate. It's possible the DLC plans weren't even concrete when they shared them with Sakurai, and the character choices definitely weren't.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'll give him 65%

Still hesitant with the idea of a spirit turning into a playable character, but not as much as I used to.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Chances of getting into Smash Ultimate through this fighters pass 5%
Chances of getting into Smash Ultimate as future dlc 65%
Chances of making it into a future Smash game if not Ultimate 100%

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If Geno truly is in, then my suspicion of at least one first-party feels stronger then ever. I mean, 3 out of 4 is characters that Sakurai are a huge fan of. Granted, Hero was just a matter of time, but he was still a favorite of his. The saying, I scratch your back, I scratch yours exist after all.

Could be Byleth or Edelgard concidering the lack of spirits we have been given for 3H with it being released on Friday, could be a Generation 8 starter, Astral Chain rep or maybe even King Boo for Luigi's Mansion 3 (the list goes on)

Then it's possible they were decided on before the DLC plans, or Sakurai asked them and they said yes despite Geno being a potential DLC candidate.
Doubtful. But like I said. I don¨t find it as a de-confirmation, just a weird choice of action if that's the cause.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I mean, Geno is still a third-party character. He belongs to Square even if his only appearance was a Mario game.

I don't count with a single Nintendo one because these guys have been smart to make these inclusions worth everyone's money.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I’d say 50/50. I was more in line with the idea that Geno’s chances were higher if there was a second Fighters Pass or bonus fighters. With the costume missing, I’m feeling like Geno is very much in play for the current Fighters Pass. So, even though I’m more neutral overall, Geno’s chances have jumped significantly in my estimation.

Firox

Smash Master
For me, the biggest debunk to the Spirit debate is the fact that Spirits were determined before the DLC was. This suggests that Sakurai himself either placed Geno in low priority (which given the newcomers we ended up with is VERY possible) and/or securing the rights to Geno was originally more laborious than Sakurai was willing to pursue. That said, if corporate Nintendo was behind the DLC picks, and they gave us Banjo-Kazooie, it's entirely possible that a greater focus on fan demand was taken into account rather than solely Sakurai's whimsy, which would make sense when you want the maximum amount of people to buy something. Regardless, the afterthought nature of the DLC, or possibly future DLC, means that literally anything is possible for inclusion, with the only concrete exception being assist trophies.

In short, the balance between 0% possibility and 100% possibility is 50%. We don't have enough data to conclude one way or the other based on a JPEG that was decided on 2+ years ago.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Drifting away from genos chances a bit, something im more curious about right now is what changes other characters got....? There’s still no patch notes up and probably won’t be till the update is live, but I’d really like to know already who got the nerf hammer and who got buffed....

D

Deleted member

Drifting away from genos chances a bit, something im more curious about right now is what changes other characters got....? There’s still no patch notes up and probably won’t be till the update is live, but I’d really like to know already who got the nerf hammer and who got buffed....
I'm hoping to see buffs for Samus and Dark Samus.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
For me, the biggest debunk to the Spirit debate is the fact that Spirits were determined before the DLC was. This suggests that Sakurai himself either placed Geno in low priority (which given the newcomers we ended up with is VERY possible) and/or securing the rights to Geno was originally more laborious than Sakurai was willing to pursue. That said, if corporate Nintendo was behind the DLC picks, and they gave us Banjo-Kazooie, it's entirely possible that a greater focus on fan demand was taken into account rather than solely Sakurai's whimsy, which would make sense when you want the maximum amount of people to buy something. Regardless, the afterthought nature of the DLC, or possibly future DLC, means that literally anything is possible for inclusion, with the only concrete exception being assist trophies.

In short, the balance between 0% possibility and 100% possibility is 50%. We don't have enough data to conclude one way or the other based on a JPEG that was decided on 2+ years ago.
to elaborate further on this I think sakurai's actual influence is much greater than he lets on. I have a hard time believing that corporate came up with the idea to add joker themselves

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
what if the starling image just meant Geno's costume was missing?

What if Jon was being coy about EVO just because of his own ideas and decided to be trollish since he knows everyone sees him as an insider?

What if we're in the dark again?

I worry too much.
At least wait until the week's over before going into paranoia mode.

to elaborate further on this I think sakurai's actual influence is much greater than he lets on. I have a hard time believing that corporate came up with the idea to add joker themselves
Meanwhile, he has enough clout to actually be granted the chance to have DQ heroes show up in a crossover, something that's been taboo even in Square-Enix's Fortune Street series. Even the man himself was unsure whether it was a wise move or not, given how much DQ is a sacred cow over in Nipponland.

with the only concrete exception being assist trophies.
It's just a shame that Waluigi fans won't realise that until it's too late.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom