• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I hate to be that guy considering I've been a part of this fanbase since the Brawl days, but this doesn't mean anything. All it means is we're not getting the Mii costume (at least for now). Don't say stuff like "he's confirmed" because this honestly changes nothing. >__> Maybe Sakurai thought the Mii costume was tacky as hell and didn't want it to return and frankly I'm in the same boat.

It's still intriguing non-the-less but please keep your hype in check. I know we'd all love to see Geno become playable but don't get your hopes up over this.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You'd think after Ultimate has been destroying fan theories/rules (too big, too irrelevant, dead series, lacking Nintendo appearance, abandoned series, competitor series, generic enemy, obvious echo, etc) that people would ease up on adamantly standing behind another (currently at the time) unfounded fan rule, again.
I know right? People just love moving their goalposts, apparently. They got strange hills to die on.

12_107900_728_1132.jpg

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
and that's Also Why they haven't Let Sakurai put in Geno; or let the Big N make another game with him and/or Mallow ever again

Because the price of the Ownership of Geno & Mallow; is Much more than what the Big N is willing to pay for them; That's why They didn't allow them to Re-use Geno in the Superstar Saga Remake

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tomorrow will be awesome today.

Hopefully this day will be awesome too for the people who get the 4.0. update up later instead of tomorrow.

And yeah, it is awesome to see the Geno train back on foot for some.

Firox

Smash Master
Some thoughts:

- Geno is not a mii costume. They didn’t withold it to be released down the line. This is where it would’ve came back. They specifically said “this is Mii Costume pack #2”, so the idea that they omitted any is wrong.

- Regarding Chocobo, I could see there being no FF dlc at all this time around since it’s very clear this is the franchise SE is stingy with. I could also see it coming back along with a few SMRPG costumes during a Geno character reveal

- Anyone saying “guess we’ll know our fate at Evo” needs to realign expectations. Today was a victory. Whether anything happens at Evo or not doesn’t mean much for how good of a place we are in right now.

LETS GO BABY
I gotta say, the lack of Geno's costume was a huge sigh of relief for me. The only red flag, though, as far as I can see, is the lack of Chocobo. Now, you could very well be right that FF just isn't getting any DLC this round, but I'd like to explore some deductions:

Why? - Both Chocobo and Geno's Mii costumes already exist, so re-releasing them would be almost literally free money. In such a case, I can only see the following reasons:

1) The presentation was solely in celebration of Dragon Quest, hence why ALL the costumes were of that franchise. You would think that it would still be a prime opportunity to release any other SE costumes, but since they didn't, that leads us to...

2) Nintendo/Sakurai is waiting to unveil them alongside ANOTHER SE character. If this is the case, which it very well could be at this point, then Geno has a seriously legit shot.

OR

3) For some completely inexplicable reason, Nintendo/Sakurai/SE have decided to omit both Geno and any other FF characters entirely. This would be very unlikely and honestly stupid considering that the costume already exist and I see no logical reason any company would turn down free money.

Now, you had a good point that SE has been historically stingy AF with their FF IP, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if they DID decide to omit chocobo, etc. That said, I predict one of two three possible outcomes:

A) Geno's mii costume was omitted because he's coming for real

or

B) His costume was omitted because some unseen force of illogical senility has decided that Geno should not only be barred from Smash, but also that he should be denied any playable representation whatsoever so as to extinguish what hope we have left.

There is also the distant option C) Which is that Nintendo just releases the Geno and Chocobo costumes alongside a random DLC character like Banjo for the hell of it, but I can proudly say that of all three scenarios, outcome A is the most probable at this point.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I hate to be that guy considering I've been a part of this fanbase since the Brawl days, but this doesn't mean anything. All it means is we're not getting the Mii costume (at least for now). Don't say stuff like "he's confirmed" because this honestly changes nothing. >__> Maybe Sakurai thought the Mii costume was tacky as hell and didn't want it to return and frankly I'm in the same boat.

It's still intriguing non-the-less but please keep your hype in check. I know we'd all love to see Geno become playable but don't get your hopes up over this.
It doesn’t mean he’s confirmed, but it does mean he’s not deconfirmed. When so many of us were expecting the worst, that’s good enough for now.

D

Deleted member

The plot just keeps thickening.

D

Deleted member

It doesn’t mean he’s confirmed, but it does mean he’s not deconfirmed. When so many of us were expecting the worst, that’s good enough for now.
I know, and I feel the same way. I quickly jumped to make that post because I've seen one person here make that comment already so far and one is enough for me to pop in and say: "Hooooold up-". =P

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I'm thinking he's in. :4pacman:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Dunno why people are still on about that music thing. I mean, I understand; with a certain vantage it's a point for Geno, but BrawlBRSTman explained the reasoning, it was Nintendo's typical method of sending a warning to take down the whole playlist. Which he did. I imagine they targeted that song since it probably had the most views.

More over, the track was never flagged on SilvaGunner's channel, and has been very easily accessible there the whole time. You can also currently find it on a different BrawlBRST channel. A bit of a far cry from when the Ultimate soundtrack leaked and Nintendo scoured Youtube tearing the walls down.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I know, and I feel the same way. I quickly jumped to make that post because I've seen one person here make that comment so far and one is enough for me to pop in and say: "Hooooold up-". =P
But like if most people here are being sensible about it then I don’t really see the issue. I’ve seen more people make posts being pessimistic and saying he might not have any presence in the game now after the non-reveal than saying he’s for sure gonna be playable.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
This might also be a good time to give a plug to Operation StarFall. You are more than welcome to come aboard and support us as we look into trying to get Nintendo and Square-Enix to bring back Geno, Mallow and the many other characters that SMRPG has to offer with either a remaster or as playable characters in games including Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros etc.

If you haven't had a chance to support or follow the initiative, feel free to do so! It would make our day for you to join us. Links about it are below: (Our latest post is about the Draqon Quest Mimic)

Change.org Petition: chng.it/gDgTY7W9
Twitter: https://twitter.com/opestarfall
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/opestarfall/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/operationstarfall/

#OperationStarFall
#Geno4Smash
#ReviveSMRPG
Yeah honestly this is what I want most. As soon as I first went on the operation Starfall page and saw the link for the petition I signed that so hard. I don't think I've ever signed anything with that much DETERMINATION even much needed checks at the bank.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
and that's Also Why they haven't Let Sakurai put in Geno; or let the Big N make another game with him and/or Mallow ever again

Because the price of the Ownership of Geno & Mallow; is Much more than what the Big N is willing to pay for them; That's why They didn't allow them to Re-use Geno in the Superstar Saga Remake
Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. If Geno and Mallow were prohibitively expensive why would they have spent that money on .pngs for spirits? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

Geno is going to be playable and we don't need you coming in here trying to make us all feel bad after our first victory in a long time.

D

Deleted member

I think I’m gonna play SMRPG for the SNES Classic at my grandfather’s home today while I wait for hopefully 0:00am to buy Hero and the Mii costumes.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I think I’m gonna play SMRPG for the SNES Classic at my grandfather’s home today while I wait for hopefully 0:00am to buy Hero and the Mii costumes.
You should, it's fantastic. Don't forget the Frog Coin at the beginning of Peach's Castle

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Because If He's Not a Fighter; and He's not getting a Costume; WE'RE NOT GETTING GENO AT ALL!!! That's Why I'm upset

and NO! A spirit doesn't count; that doesn't mean diddly-squat to me; I want to play as him; whether He be a Mii Gunner Outfit OR an Actual Fighter; and If we don't get either; that really disappoints me!
Man I rather have nothing than an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or a Spirit. Those three are just garbage, so nothing would be great. Sure I would love to play as Geno, but I don't want to play as a bootleg version of my favorite characters or see a 15 second puppet show of them moving around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Obsessive sleuthing did pay off once. :ultbanjokazooie: You never know, lightning could strike twice. Chances for failure are big, but the chances for success are equally so. It still beats looking at furniture and ice for clues.

Also, getting nothing is actually much, much worse. How do you get support if the majority of people don't know that you exist?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
And yes, to those that are quick to jump on the "HE'S NOT CONFIRMED! THIS MEANS NOTHING! ACCEPT YOUR FATE! YOU'RE DOOOOOOMED!", you're only half-right. True, he is NOT confirmed...yet, but considering the droves of naysayers that were ready to break out the bagpipes the second Geno's costume popped up, think again. With Krool, Banjo-Kazooie and Ridley in, Geno is literally one of the most, if not THE most, requested characters left in existence. I doubt Sakurai would be so tone-deaf as to be totally ignorant of this, and at this point, the ONLY evidence against Geno would be his Spirit which has yet to be proven as a definitive de-confirming factor. The lack of his costume at this juncture functions more to SUPPORT Geno's future inclusion than to oppose.

Bottom line: There's still hope. And not just 0.02%. Not 10%. Not even 25%. I'd say he's got at least a 50% chance now, MINIMUM. That's a hell of a lot better than it was a day ago, and considering that miracles can happen (like B-K), to cut his chances any lower, I would only have this to say to you...

"Oh ye of little faith."

Ovaltine

Smash Master
After the joy that this thread has given me today by doing stuff I was hoping for a lot of time to see happening to me at this site, I want Geno to get in more than ever.

Not as a most wanted, but just enough so you people get some joy too at last.
It's stuff like this that makes the 'Geno fans are all selfish jerks' thing so baffling to me. The stereotype really doesn't hold true. If anything, I've found most Geno fans to be some of the sweetest and funnest bunch. Sure, we have our bad apples, but every fandom does.

Again, I'm super happy for you, man. Of all the DQ heroes, I'm definitely going to be attached to Eight at the hip... with a bit of Luminary, given the fondness I have for him after mocking his greasy-ass hair for the whole speculation cycle. :4pacman:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only thing holding me from the Geno thing is.

I really don't see a ''bonus DLC fighter" happening DURING the pass. It really really really really really really would sour the whole ''Buy the Fighters Pass, you get everyone!"

So if Geno is coming. He's part of the fighters pass or nothing at all.

D

Deleted member

But like if most people here are being sensible about it then I don’t really see the issue. I’ve seen more people make posts being pessimistic and saying he might not have any presence in the game now after the non-reveal than saying he’s for sure gonna be playable.
Oh of course most people here have been sensible about it so far, no doubt. I just wanted to get my point out so that others don't take a couple of peoples posts claiming 'he's in' with this being their only evidence seriously. It just makes the fanbase look a little deluded when claims like that are being thrown around. Again, just wanted to toss my 2 cents out there is all.

That being said; if Geno does get in, I will be one happy camper for sure but the stars aren't all aligned just yet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just woke up and am watching the presentation. So there is no Geno costume? That's kind of crazy

I guess overall that's good for Geno but at the same time maybe it means that Nintendo actually just cares less

MemeSaucy

Smash Cadet

I really don't see a ''bonus DLC fighter" happening DURING the pass. It really really really really really really would sour the whole ''Buy the Fighters Pass, you get everyone!"

I see him being a Bonus character but only if you buy the fighter pass

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I see him being a Bonus character but only if you buy the fighter pass
They'd do something like that at the start of the pass though. Not in the middle of the pass or at the end. And certainly not after such a hit series in Japan and Banjo and Kazooie gave both sides of the world a reason to buy the pass.

Incentives to buy something never come during the middle or end of something. They're usually a bonus you get up front.

Like Plant being free was a bonus for pre-ordering base game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I'll probably update the supporter list if there is no Geno costume, but I'll have to wait until I get off work.

So if you do want to be on it, make sure to "like" the OP

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just woke up and am watching the presentation. So there is no Geno costume? That's kind of crazy

I guess overall that's good for Geno but at the same time maybe it means that Nintendo actually just cares less
Will you be able to update the supporters list? We have a ton of people that want to sign up. (This will benefit the OSF initiative greatly)

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
This game has been PURE fan service since "Everyone is here", why would you think they care less? They've either got Geno on deck, or they've got bigger plans that they think will make the fans happy (and subsequently sell more DLC packs)

Also please add me to the support list since this is literally the only thread I come to SmashBoards to read.. :)

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Nor am I, and I'm the one over here doodling Geno all the freaking time, haha.

Okay, so that makes:

MemeSaucy
Jurae818
Datboigeno
Ovaltine

Not pinging the users to keep notifications clean, of course, since this is for Psycho's perusal. Keep 'em coming, gang!
If you wouldn’t mind, add me to that list as well!

So, uh, anyone else catch the casual shade Sakurai threw about only getting 2 songs from DQ11? That part made me laugh.

I know that this doesn’t mean we are surely getting Geno, but I refuse to believe that Square Enix wouldn’t want more costumes just so they could get more money. Geno’s was probably the biggest moneymaker they had. I’m refusing to believe they’d just leave that money on the table. Geno being a fighter would be another story.

Nothing on the Starling image, right? Looks like EVO is next stop. The hype is real, friends.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People have to admit, whether they like him or hate him, Geno not being a Mii costume is a huge elephant in the room. Nintendo knows we're not dumb (and honestly kind of neurotic about this sort of thing) and perfectly knows that this will probably blow up on Twitter. When you Google search, "characters wanted in Super Smash Bros", Geno comes up in the recommended list so the evidence is staggering that not only people know who he is but want him badly. This is not a scratch in the wallpaper, this is a ****ing hole in the wall and I get the feeling that Nintendo knows exactly what it's doing with this.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Don't forget there is an extra stage slot, outside of the 5 for the FP

D

Deleted member

When one thinks about it, Geno could fit great as a last surprise bonus fighter based on Sakurai's interest for the character in general.

Ending Ultimate's DLC cycle with him makes sense.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Oh of course most people here have been sensible about it so far, no doubt. I just wanted to get my point out so that others don't take a couple of peoples posts claiming 'he's in' with this being their only evidence seriously. It just makes the fanbase look a little deluded when claims like that are being thrown around. Again, just wanted to toss my 2 cents out there is all.

That being said; if Geno does get in, I will be one happy camper for sure but the stars aren't all aligned just yet.
I guess as someone who spends a lot of time in this specific thread it just feels like sometimes there’s an overreaction from people outside the thread to any kind of highly positive sentiment here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That slot is used for toggling custom stages, though, so it isn't an extra slot. It's in use.
There's the WOL datamine that surely won't amount to anything, nope, there's nothing there, you're seeing things, it never existed in the first place.

I guess as someone who spends a lot of time in this specific thread it just feels like sometimes there’s an overreaction from people outside the thread to any kind of highly positive sentiment here.
You're telling me. The current DLC structure and that damn box made most people's expectations and thought processes be boxed in, so if you mention anyone outside of support threads that's not a third-party, or it's a third-party that doesn't line up with what people assume it is, you're lynched. I can't emphasize how frustrated I am from this kind of behavior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom