• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I just watched it myself. I also noticed the distinct lack of a geno costume. I would have thought they would show it because yknow. square enix, rpgs, n stuff.
im more curious than ever, that SMRPG leak from a week ago could hold some ground

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm going through a lot of the footage that was just released and playing Smash Bros to compare Hero's animation. A lot of Hero's moves share similar animation with existing characters. Toon Link's Up Smash is exactly like Hero's Up Tilt. Hero's running attack is just like Link's. A lot of Hero's aerial moves are extremely similar to Roy's. Hero's Down Smash is just like so many other sword fighters down smash. Hero's Up Smash is just like Marth's & Roy's Up Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There's the WOL datamine that surely won't amount to anything, nope, there's nothing there, you're seeing things, it never existed in the first place.
Yeah, see, that is something that I think should be taken into consideration more than the extra stage slot (that is actually not even an extra). It shows that they're open to future possibilities... or pastabilities, if you will.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Geno's Mii Costume is indeed absent.

Personally, methinks that it's not coming back, regardless of whether Geno will be a Fighter or relegated to a Spirit role. That being said, Geno's final obstacles are these two fan rules.
  • Geno is a Spirit, and the evidence that no Spirit will be a part of this Fighter's Pass is stacking up.
  • Hero's inclusion disconfirms Geno because Square-Enix will not get two characters, despite no reasoning being provided. (Arle to Joker, Steve/Master Chief to Banjo)
After that, it's a simple case of "why" as opposed to "why not", and the why may in fact, lie with Banjo...

But given that I don't believe company reps are deliberately limited to one, and am willing to give Spirits a chance now (not that keen on it not being the case, RIP Paper Mario) Geno would be on my lookout.

By the way, Geno is entirely possibly not coming with a stage (all stage slots will be used, so the other stages would have to be put into a tab). But let's say he does, and it can't be the Forest Maze. What would you pick? I would probably pick Barrel Volcano or Star Road.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, see, that is something that I think should be taken into consideration more than the extra stage slot (that is actually not even an extra). It shows that they're open to future possibilities... or pastabilities, if you will.
Yup. But folks are quick to point out "but they didn't use all the slots last game, so don't think it's a guarantee" without considering that the staff may not be bound to repeating a pattern. In the event something does happen this Winter, their minds would blow up, I tell you what.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm going through a lot of the footage that was just released and playing Smash Bros to compare Hero's animation. A lot of Hero's moves share similar animation with existing characters. Toon Link's Up Smash is exactly like Hero's Up Tilt. Hero's running attack is just like Link's. A lot of Hero's aerial moves are extremely similar to Roy's. Hero's Down Smash is just like so many other sword fighters down smash. Hero's Up Smash is just like Marth's & Roy's Up Smash.
Even before E3 I pretty much assumed that a DQ swordfighter would play incredibly similarly if not would essentially be a mix of Link and Robin and nothing that I’ve seen thus far has changed that opinion. I’ve never been more conflicted about spending 5.99 in my life.

D

Deleted member

I'm personally buying Hero and every DQ Mii costume tomorrow as the fan of the series who I am.

I've waited years to see Eight next to Samus in any official product and it's finally happening.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
By the way, Geno is entirely possibly not coming with a stage (all stage slots will be used, so the other stages would have to be put into a tab). But let's say he does, and it can't be the Forest Maze. What would you pick? I would probably pick Barrel Volcano or Star Road.
I'd say Star Road that transitions into Vista Hill and Smithy's Keep via Exor crashing through. Someone mentioned that idea at some point in the thread, and I think it's a freaking SICK idea.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
There's the WOL datamine that surely won't amount to anything, nope, there's nothing there, you're seeing things, it never existed in the first place.
Yeah, just a coincidence. Man, all this thinking is making me tired, think I'll go take a nap.
im more curious than ever, that SMRPG leak from a week ago could hold some ground
What leak are you referring to?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, has there been any update from Sabi's source who gave us the starling at this point? Given that no one knew the contents of the video, I wonder if the starling was a hint to something else now

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
That slot is used for toggling custom stages, though, so it isn't an extra slot. It's in use.
Thanks for the reminder.
My b

But I still think we're getting another Square rep down the line.
And I bet it should be the final one for Ultimate

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, has there been any update from Sabi's source who gave us the starling at this point? Given that no one knew the contents of the video, I wonder if the starling was a hint to something else now
Nothing yet, I'm afraid. Sabi's source hasn't been giving much of a peep regarding the starling or Geno. It's a matter of waiting and seeing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know I'm late to the party y'all but holy ****! Geno's Mii costume didn't come back. I think that's more of a good sign for his chances than a bad one. What do you think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So not only did sis wake up bit no Geno costume. To think this might be a 2 for 2 is just glorious

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Geno's Mii Costume is indeed absent.

Personally, methinks that it's not coming back, regardless of whether Geno will be a Fighter or relegated to a Spirit role. That being said, Geno's final obstacles are these two fan rules.
  • Geno is a Spirit, and the evidence that no Spirit will be a part of this Fighter's Pass is stacking up.
  • Hero's inclusion disconfirms Geno because Square-Enix will not get two characters, despite no reasoning being provided. (Arle to Joker, Steve/Master Chief to Banjo)
After that, it's a simple case of "why" as opposed to "why not", and the why may in fact, lie with Banjo...

But given that I don't believe company reps are deliberately limited to one, and am willing to give Spirits a chance now (not that keen on it not being the case, RIP Paper Mario) Geno would be on my lookout.

I'd pick Star Road or the Sewers or maybe even the Mines with Croco coming in and causing havoc and giant bob-ombs and such. I don't know why but the Sewers is a very memorable part of the game for me lol.

I personally think that Geno's chances of getting in THIS fighter pass are still next to nothing because he's a spirit and no other fighters so far have been represented at all in the game previously and because Square Enix already has a rep in this fighters pass and it makes sense for Banjo to be the unexpected retro pick of the pass. HOWEVER I don't care what anyone says I think it is extremely likely that more fighters will come in future dlc and that Geno is certainly a candidate to be one of those fighters especially now that the Mii costume has yet to make an appearance (though I've said before that wouldn't necessarily deconfirm him either). Any extra dlc fighters may not necessarily come with extra stuff like Mii costumes, stages, music, etc but who knows. Point is I think Geno will have his day as long as we don't give up. I just don't think his day will be in THIS specific fighters pass. I would be elated to be proven wrong though.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
It was something regarding custom stages and I ALWAYS forget what it is rofl. It's been mentioned multiple times in the thread, it's either a toggle or a selection or a something-or-another.

You, my friend, are cool and creative. Bravo!
Thanks! As someone who works on their own little project, I try to look from unexpected angles!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So not only did sis wake up bit no Geno costume. To think this might be a 2 for 2 is just glorious
Didn't get a chance to yesterday (yesterday was a mess and my mind was all over the place), but I'm SO happy your sister is awake!!

Thanks! As someone who works on their own little project, I try to look from unexpected angles!
Haha, I feel you there, especially involving Geno. I really need to get on some of the ideas I have for him...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Throwback to yesterday when people argued that Nintendo mistranslated the presentation time being 22 minutes long

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Throwback to when people insisted the presentation being so long meant there was something fishy and we'd get something special.
I dunno if you were paying attention or not but we got the best news in this thread that we've had since before the Grinch leak.

D

Deleted member

It does shock me that this thread has actually made my Hero hype better than literally every other place.

People actually tagged me here to come celebrate the stuff DQ8 got, while other threads or Discord servers just mass tagged me earlier this month for the freaking F4 just for the stupid laughs. And besides this place and a single Discord server without many people almost nobody remembered me today besides NoOtherPersona.

This thread has made me feel more alive and present on the planet than any other place during this month, and it just blows my mind.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Throwback to yesterday when people argued that Nintendo mistranslated the presentation time being 22 minutes long
The fact that it was 21 and a half minutes shows exactly how bad the Nintendo translators are. They were completely wrong about it being 22 minutes! I feel robbed! /s

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It beggars belief that they would hold out on the mii costume if they weren't planning on doing something with the character later. I know we should all keep our hype in check, but I find it difficult to believe that a character that is (allegedly) as highly requested geno wouldn't at least rate a mii costume port. If it was gonna return, this would be the place to do it. I'm inclined to agree with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
I think Nintendo knows what they're doing

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Throwback to when people insisted the presentation being so long meant there was something fishy and we'd get something special.
We have literally never gotten anything as special as the Geno mii costume omission ever. Today was going to be the execution day if it was coming

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
what if the starling image just meant Geno's costume was missing?

What if Jon was being coy about EVO just because of his own ideas and decided to be trollish since he knows everyone sees him as an insider?

What if we're in the dark again?

I worry too much.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Haha, I feel you there, especially involving Geno. I really need to get on some of the ideas I have for him...
Ideas? You've peaked my interest. I can't really show or say anything straightforward but my project's main protagonist has a Geno color palette option. I figured he deserves more spotlight.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So lets recap.

Pros for his chances
The two songs that got copyright claimed
No Mii Costume... (however, with Sega didn¨t get every Mii Costume and we didn¨t get Chocobo which we have to keep in mind)
Characters like Banjo have gotten in.

Cons for his chances
Spirit and fighter icon... Before anyone goes up in arms towards me, there is a reason I wonder about it. Unlike with first parties which you can basically do what you want with at any time, you can only do something with a third party character if you get the permission to do so. Why show your hands that you have access to "insert third-party here" if you are planning to have that character later as DLC. Don¨t get me wrong, I don¨t call it impossible, I just find the choice weird if that's the cause.

I don¨t count starling in as either because it could mean anything nor counting in Jons potential otter nonsense concidering he often spews out random things in order to protect his source. Otterside of that, I can¨t think of anything

Have I missed any?

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Not related to Geno but the lack of the Dragon Quest main theme as a song for the stage is a very stupid decision. It's one of the most famous themes in all of gaming, but it's reduced to like four notes as Hero's victory theme. They had the license to it since part of it is in the game, but unless they weren't allowed to use the full version than its absence may be one of the weirdest and dumbest decisions made for Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Not related to Geno but the lack of the Dragon Quest main theme as a song for the stage is a very stupid decision. It's one of the most famous themes in all of gaming, but it's reduced to like four notes as Hero's victory theme. They had the license to it since part of it is in the game, but unless they weren't allowed to use the full version than its absence may be one of the weirdest and dumbest decisions made for Ultimate.
War Cry being in honestly made up for that.

And tbh, FF7 didn't have the main theme in Smash either.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Actually, now that I think about it, it makes sense that the starling image was not seen today. We talked about how this presentation was very secretive and that it was a heavily encrypted video. If that’s the case, I have a feeling that the image refers to something else entirely. Something coming relatively soon. I’m not saying Geno at EVO or anything, but Sabi didn’t leak out anything about the contents of the presentation, so why would her source have information so far in advance like that? Just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom