• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's so easy though. <_<

Why would you do anything else? >_>

edit: Good point, Marthage. lol

r3d d09

Smash Master
nice avatar Smoom or should i say Smooooooooo...
But also efficient is how a person is capable of doing it. if DanGR is more comfortable and efficient with his method, stick with it. but also work on buffering on the offside.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
So like seriously, I'm trying to get into the whole CGing deal correctly. I can F-Throw to F-Throw pretty well, my B-Throw to Nana is good and my F-Air Spike to Ice Block is not bad now...

But the problems are as follow :

D-Throw -_- I can D-Throw to Nana but not to Popo, what is the deal, I just CAN'T grab, ever...

B-Throw back to Popo, can't do it...why is this :/

Hobbling works most of the time, but is there a trick to it, mainly the B-Throw hobbling

Anyways, I need a bit more of an in detail explication. Like not just : Lol, throw and then press grab. I've grasped that concept already...it's more a question of the amount a pressure I need apply to the joystick, any little small tricks etc.

Also, best characters to practice CGs on? Guessing a Light - Mid - Heavy weight? :O

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Practice is the best solution. Most of the problems people have with ICs is human error. Just practice.

Best characters to CG Practice against are:

• Mario - Midweight. Perfect weight. I prefer FThrow to BThrows on characters like this.
  • Lightweight - Kirby/Olimar/MK - Perfect weight for chaingrabs. MK's timing is a little different, but learning how to chaingrab him is essential. BThrow to DThrow works well on them.
  • Heavyweight - Bowser/Snake - Bowser for practicing FThrow chaingrabs. Or you can use Snake to learn how to BThrow hobble.

With BThrow, there's slightly different timings with everyone. It's less rhythmic than the others. Once again, just practice.

r3d d09

Smash Master
B-throw hobbling, what i try to remember is to jump before B-throwing. that was my problem, once i did that, it increased immensely. so jump hold back the whole time and tap jump as fast as you can. xD that's how i do it. anyone else want to add their way?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice guys :3

I was messing around and I finally understood the Popo timing after Nana D-Throw. The B-Throw is going good :O

Thanks for the character suggestions also :D

Oh and tips on B-Throw when Nana's holding? I've never once landed a grab xD

r3d d09

Smash Master
no probs. we are going through the same thing.
I will practice a few hours a day when i get home and when my controller is shipped in... people stealing my stuff. xD
anyone want to donate to the r3dd09 UBER tourney lost controller fund? money or controllers is awesome :D

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
it helps me not to just guess when to press grab. but to watch the character move. its like catching a baseball... keep your eye on the character and you will grab him lol

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I'll get that down..some how :O! Thanks, IC boards are like family Q_Q!

r3d d09

Smash Master
i just have trouble... grabbing in general. well chaining anways. when I want to land a grab. i usually do. I find a pattern in their attack and then i execute.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Oh and tips on B-Throw when Nana's holding? I've never once landed a grab xD
Generally, you wouldn't do alternating b-throws, aka, you'd do b-throw (from popo to nana)>f-throw or b-throw (nana to popo). B-throws one after another are too slow because you have to move popo to regrab. Someone could mash out of them.

Edit: My question is: When I try to do a pivot desync, I do a dash dance desync. What is the difference? Maybe I'm not fully understanding how to just 'pivot'.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Generally, you wouldn't do alternating b-throws, aka, you'd do b-throw (from popo to nana)>f-throw or b-throw (nana to popo). B-throws one after another are too slow because you have to move popo to regrab. Someone could mash out of them.
That's not true. You don't have to move them and bthrow to bthrow I believe is faster then even buffered fthrows.

r3d d09

Smash Master
maybe Hylian can help you with pivoting, I just tap >< or <> really quick and buffer a ice block.

Just tap opposite way you're facing, then back to the original way and buffer an attack.

Smoom77

Smash Master
That's not true. You don't have to move them and bthrow to bthrow I believe is faster then even buffered fthrows.
Lol, I guess I can never do it because I can't get my pivots to work!

maybe Hylian can help you with pivoting, I just tap >< or <> really quick and buffer a ice block.

Just tap opposite way you're facing, then back to the original way and buffer an attack.
That's what I do...but it turns into a dash dance desync... I'm looking at Hylian vs Mike, and it looks like nana is the only one moving. Is that true?

r3d d09

Smash Master
Lol, I guess I can never do it because I can't get my pivots to work!

That's what I do...but it turns into a dash dance desync... I'm looking at Hylian vs Mike, and it looks like nana is the only one moving. Is that true?
SLIGHTLY move it left to right or right to left. it's like the standing nana desync thread or something.
It's just how i do it, but it's like a standing in place 360.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help up to now :O

So then is B-Throw to B-Throw viable or not finally? I know it can be done very fast but I can't make Nana B-Throw to Popo so I'm doing something wrong for sure xD

So give me your personal opinion on the best CG on different weights, it'll be helpful :)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Thanks for the help up to now :O

So then is B-Throw to B-Throw viable or not finally? I know it can be done very fast but I can't make Nana B-Throw to Popo so I'm doing something wrong for sure xD

So give me your personal opinion on the best CG on different weights, it'll be helpful :)
Bthrow to Bthrow has two versions. The slow and the fast version. The slow version is the one that requires walking because you have missed the window to give the input to Nana to throw while you were busy recoverying from your own Bthrow. The second version is the buffered kind where you actually get the input in. In order to learn Bthrow to Bthrow the inescapable version, you have to be able to buffer Nana's Bthrow right when she catches it meaning this CG is very fast and has a very small window of time where you could input the grabbing command to popo without losing the buffering portion.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I believe Bunny posted her opinion in this thread for each class.
Yeah, I want other people's grasp on the this though.

Bthrow to Bthrow has two versions. The slow and the fast version. The slow version is the one that requires walking because you have missed the window to give the input to Nana to throw while you were busy recoverying from your own Bthrow. The second version is the buffered kind where you actually get the input in. In order to learn Bthrow to Bthrow the inescapable version, you have to be able to buffer Nana's Bthrow right when she catches it meaning this CG is very fast and has a very small window of time where you could input the grabbing command to popo without losing the buffering portion.
Okay, thanks :O!

Jupz

Smash Master

Do you know what the fastest way to Bthrow when Nana is holding is? Because it takes me a while, I usually walk Popo over then turn him around then throw->grab.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Wcked, personally, I dunno if it's any good, but I like...

Lights and Medium weights: bthrow>buffered fthrow
Heavies: dthrow>fthrow or b-throw smash hobbling.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see, well I,ve been practicing this evening and I can do pretty well with a B-Throw to D-Throw on Lights and Mids

Haven't worked on heavies yet but it'll probably be D to D to D to F like you Smoom ;3!

Also why do you buffer the fthrow for your light/medium weight CG? :O

Last thing, why are people in the IC boards so nice :D?!

Smoom77

Smash Master
Oh I see, well I,ve been practicing this evening and I can do pretty well with a B-Throw to D-Throw on Lights and Mids

Haven't worked on heavies yet but it'll probably be D to D to D to F like you Smoom ;3!

Also why do you buffer the fthrow for your light/medium weight CG? :O

Last thing, why are people in the IC boards so nice :D?!
What ever feels good to you. A lot of people like bthrow>dthrow (most people I mean) on lights, but I like buffered fthrow.

For buffered fthrow, it's just natural after practice. But why not? That's like saying, "Why do you like to make sure they don't mash out of your grab?" If you buffer, they can't get out.

:D :D, I remember when I was more n00by than I am now, I felt so afraid of here! So I just didn't really post. But I wanna make new n00bs not nervous!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I got bthrow down now ^_^, I don't have to do anymore fancy dthrow pivot grab.
Since the thread's gonna take awhile till it gets to lucario, what do you guys think of the MU vs. Lucario, and why?

Jupz

Smash Master
I like Bthrow->Dthrow for lightweights, I suck at infiniting everyone else but I sometimes Dthrow->Fthrow/Dthrow->Dthrow/Bthrow->Fthrow :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I got bthrow down now ^_^, I don't have to do anymore fancy dthrow pivot grab.
Since the thread's gonna take awhile till it gets to lucario, what do you guys think of the MU vs. Lucario, and why?
Lucario is hard :/.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
when you grab someone and there hangin off the edge. whats the best way to spike them? is it the No-Throw Spike or the F-throw F-air spike? or is there one im missing? cuz so far both of them can be teched.

Smoom77

Smash Master
when you grab someone and there hangin off the edge. whats the best way to spike them? is it the No-Throw Spike or the F-throw F-air spike? or is there one im missing? cuz so far both of them can be teched.
I think that if you're on the VERY edge, like, leaning over the edge, they can't be teched. I'm not sure about that though. Don't trust me. Personally, I like fthrow>fair and no-throw spike. I never liked dthrow>fair.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Nope, it's always SDIable/techable no matter how far out you are.

Spikes in order of awesomeness, IMO: NT-Spike, FThrow Spike, DThrow Spike.

... I used to DThrow Spike the most. :(

Firestorm - Ice Climbers don't have a spike that can't be teched. Just don't do it.

Snipa4800

Smash Lord
I got planked hardcore at my tourney the other day by floridas top player :( .
On smashville whenever the platform would reach its farthest point left or right , he would jump off and fly under the stage to the other side.
By the time he would get to the other side , the platform would meet him there and the fun would start all over again.
All my approaches were stopped , if I tryed riding the platform there he would fly around after he got to the otherside , bairs wouldn't work and he wouldnt even tornado me for a pivot grab.
Anyone have any ideas? X_x

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I got planked hardcore at my tourney the other day by floridas top player :( .
On smashville whenever the platform would reach its farthest point left or right , he would jump off and fly under the stage to the other side.
By the time he would get to the other side , the platform would meet him there and the fun would start all over again.
All my approaches were stopped , if I tryed riding the platform there he would fly around after he got to the otherside , bairs wouldn't work and he wouldnt even tornado me for a pivot grab.
Anyone have any ideas? X_x
i got an idea...

im gonna steal this and camp the mess outta any ICs that fight me

Top Bottom