• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

The Filth

Smash Lord
I'm currently practicing the backthrow / dthrow chaingrab, but i have a problem.

I can grab my opponent after the backthrow every time, but i have a problem when it comes to grabbing after the dthrow. If i dashgrab after dthrow, i have no problem, but i get the feeling, that this is a bad idea, since it requirres more space and increases the risk of tripping.
So i would like to ask for some tips on how to grab my opponent with popo after nana dthrows him. I get the feeling that i have to walk foward a bit, but i am not sure how much. I have seen videos, but i cannot seem to get the same effect myself. Only when i dashgrab with popo after nana dthrow can i do it every time.
It's only a very small step forwards after the Nana Dthrow. Your problem may be you're trying to regrab after the Dthrow too soon.

After the thud of them hitting the floor, you can grab. Try and time the regrab so it comes as soon after that thud as possible, if you leave too large a gap then they will fly upwards out your hands while you grab at air.

All you can really do is practice practice practice, there's no easy way to do it. If there were, people would be playing icies instead of MK :3

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Does anyone know if you can walking CG any characters other then MK?

I know for MK it's dash x2 from 0 then walking cg till 40 then dash grab and either fsmash or dash upsmash...

What about say...falco? Shiek?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
^ I know there ARE characters, I dunno which ones though.

I know what buffering is, just wanted more info on buffer CG'ing. is it hard to get the buffering grabs down? isn't it .5 seconds buffer or something like that?
It's just timing, just another subset of CG timing like regrabbing a BThrow. Except for FThrow, the timing is going to change on a per-character basis so we can't really tell you when exactly to do what input.

It's not really "hard" per se, it's just something else you have to pick up, you can't just learn regular CGing and expect to buffer that **** instantly.

Also what Smoom said.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ejflkdnba kfdnaiofnjeoiwngkjrbngajagdhj

You can walking cg multiple characters
Which characters and %s? I know you can walking cg mk with single climber how I outlined above...

Who else and what %'s? Are dashes required first like MK?

The Filth

Smash Lord
Right... I've noticed that when trying to speed up my Bthrow - Dthrow on the lighter characters, I seem to mess up.

I've noticed I'm messing up due to Nana doing her grab animation as Popo regrabs from her Dthrow.

Now, I've also noticed that in most vids of lightweights being chain grabbed, that Nana shields instead of doing her grab animation (she just stands there when I CG midweights/heavies). I realise the shieldings done by holding Z for a split second rather than just tapping it, but is this done conciously? As in, do people deliberately hold Z a split second longer to reduce the time the opponent can wiggle out of the grab? Or am I just timing lightweights slightly wrong?

I've noticed I used to have the same problem when CGing midweights, but that's cleared up. Any ideas?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, when I CG with DThrow -> BThrow, I hold Y (My grab button) for a little longer to make the shield pop up. For whatever reason, this makes Nana easier to turn around.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Arg I was afraid of that... I've just been trying it out and it's hard as hell compared to vanilla grabs I was doing :(

Thanks though <3

Edit: Oh also, seems I've picked up some bad habit I can't pinpoint. when I go for the Bthrow regrab with nana, she seems to... pivot grab? Yeah looks like a pivot grab.

I have no idea how I'm doing that, any ideas of why it's happenning/how to fix it?

r3d d09

Smash Master
Makes her recover faster because shield dropping is faster than her buffering a grab. (Sorry im a technical freak with ic).

<3 Bunny
This is a good thing. that's why you're bomb with IC's Meep. :D
So basically hold your grab button a tad bit longer, is that what I'm getting from these posts? i'm in the making or my IC's i'd rather start with a good habit, then make a bad one and fix it.

The Filth

Smash Lord
It seems my problem is that I'm pressing the control stick too fast for the Bthrow :(

Hooray for having to re-learn chaingrabs :3

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I've never had a problem with the stick for BThrow. Mashing it regardless of regrab timing works for me. :/

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Questions :
What is the most efficient way to desynch?
What is the "best" chain grab available overall?
Hm
What is love?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Meep has been playing ICs for a while. >_> Chu only uses ICs in IC dittos and Atomsk is just a good player.

You can't just pick them up out of nowhere and be good with them.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Bunny, you can't pick up any character and immediately good. Maybe MK, lol. But any character takes match knowledge and experience.

Pick ICs if you like them, not to win tournaments. That's why I (and I hope others) don't use MK.

Smoom77

Smash Master
How did Lain start winning/doing well at tournaments? He's worked hard, why can't others? Who's gonna be the ICs main winning tournaments when Meep/Lain leave smash? It might as well could be him, or me, or you. It's called hard work. >_>

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how to affect the direction lands when hobbled/footstooled? It seems like on some chars (Yoshi, ZSS) the icicle will go over his head unless he is facing a certain way.

ZSS can only be force-get-upped when she lands with her head facing toward the climbers. When her toes point towards the climbers, the ice block goes over her head =/

r3d d09

Smash Master
How did Lain start winning/doing well at tournaments? He's worked hard, why can't others? Who's gonna be the ICs main winning tournaments when Meep/Lain leave smash? It might as well could be him, or me, or you. It's called hard work. >_>
you're telling this to IC mains? xD we know Hard work I believe :D

Sieguest

Smash Master
Anyone know how to affect the direction lands when hobbled/footstooled? It seems like on some chars (Yoshi, ZSS) the icicle will go over his head unless he is facing a certain way.

ZSS can only be force-get-upped when she lands with her head facing toward the climbers. When her toes point towards the climbers, the ice block goes over her head =/
For most characters that aren't heavy weight I hobble them with
U-throw=>footstool=>Ice Block I usually land ice block consitently like that..

With heavies I always bthrow=>footstool=> Ice block and I constistently land the Ice Block like that...

Speaking of which...I have a question
I was practicing my hobbling on Bowser on Final Destination (near the center of the stage just to be specific) and for some odd reason- I would hit bowser with the Ice Block, but he was able to roll away from me, or get-up attack me...

All I noticed was that he didn't get up immediately after the Ice Block hit...he waited a little and then made a move. Does the forced get up only work if they try to get up immediately after the Ice Block hit?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I was practicing my hobbling on Bowser on Final Destination (near the center of the stage just to be specific) and for some odd reason- I would hit bowser with the Ice Block, but he was able to roll away from me, or get-up attack me...

All I noticed was that he didn't get up immediately after the Ice Block hit...he waited a little and then made a move. Does the forced get up only work if they try to get up immediately after the Ice Block hit?
Hobbling on Bowser doesn't work. It has something to do with his size proportions.

"For most characters that aren't heavy weight I hobble them with
U-throw=>footstool=>Ice Block I usually land ice block consitently like that.."

Chibi told me that Uthrow hobble only works on Marth, but I couldn't find the info for it. Anyone know about this?

@reddog, you work hard, why can't he. :/

Sieguest

Smash Master
Hobbling on Bowser doesn't work. It has something to do with his size proportions.

"For most characters that aren't heavy weight I hobble them with
U-throw=>footstool=>Ice Block I usually land ice block consitently like that.."

Chibi told me that Uthrow hobble only works on Marth, but I couldn't find the info for it. Anyone know about this?
Oh okay..thanks for letting me know...

@only works on marth-o rly-I've pulled it off on many other characters before....
but then again, Cpus don't always DI like a champ do they...>.>

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
For most characters that aren't heavy weight I hobble them with
U-throw=>footstool=>Ice Block I usually land ice block consitently like that..

With heavies I always bthrow=>footstool=> Ice block and I constistently land the Ice Block like that...

Okay I'll try upthrow on light chars, but do you know what determines which way a char faces when the land form a foot stool? B/c ZSS is rly easy to BThrow footstool (try it!)

Sieguest

Smash Master
Okay I'll try upthrow on light chars, but do you know what determines which way a char faces when the land form a foot stool? B/c ZSS is rly easy to BThrow footstool (try it!)
Depends on the angle the the opponent is at when they hit the ground...
Oh...and I wouldn't try the upthrow anymore...I've just been told that it's not exactly reliable.

@smoon-Is dthrow usable to hobble mid to light weights effectively?
Or can a DI champ beat that too...

*sigh*(This is why practicing AT's in Group Mode only goes so far...>.> Why couldn't I start trying to practice hobbling/wobbling back at home....>.>)

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Alright thx for the fast response. is there anyway to control that angle?

Smoom77

Smash Master
Personally Marthage, I don't think hobbles should be used other than b-throw smash hobbling on heavy weights. d-throw/f-throw is easier to mess up.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I like to use dtilt when someone is trying to get to the ledge from sorta the bottom corner. It's situational though, because dtilt won't always hit them. I know there are more uses for both of them, but I don't know them. I use them to mix up my attack also.

Top Bottom