• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
There is no best one,mashing out of grabs depends on the player getting grabbed and the one performing the chaingrab,i think the best you can do is press all buttons and rotate the control stick.Each button/rotation counts as one input,which decreases the time you are grabbed.The best you can do is not get grabbed,or choose a character that has a relatively good matchup against ICs.(mk,snake etc)

This is ok, except for the part telling the matchups. Snake has a really good matchup vs IC. However, there are lots of better options than metaknight.

.AC.

Smash Lord
This is ok, except for the part telling the matchups. Snake has a really good matchup vs IC. However, there are lots of better options than metaknight.
no there are not a lot better options than mk vs ICs,except for snake.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
How do you guys charge Usmash when Popo/Nana is grabbing? Usually when I try, Nana (I use nana first) is holding the enemy, and popo jabs while nana still holds, or Nana uthrows and Popo Usmashes later.

.AC.

Smash Lord
How do you guys charge Usmash when Popo/Nana is grabbing? Usually when I try, Nana (I use nana first) is holding the enemy, and popo jabs while nana still holds, or Nana uthrows and Popo Usmashes later.
use the c-stick and charge by holding "Z".

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Pass to the partner, then press Z and Up on the C-Stick at the same time while holding Z to charge.

DAMMIT AC!!! D:<

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
Well there are two ways of doing it:

The first, which I wouldn't do if I were you, is doing a smash but pressing A a LITTLE time before pushing the analog stick up. If done correctly, nana should pummel, and popo should charge (or vice-versa, however, you should almost always hit with popo)

The second one, which I prefer, is moving the c-stick up and hold z. Doing this is better for me because immediately after doing it you can have nana throw a heavyweight back to you using the analog stick if you dashed with her the last time.

istudying

Smash Lord
Do people even read the Ice Climber guides before coming here?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Do people even read the Ice Climber guides before coming here?
Well, I've already read the IC guide a while ago, and I've done it by pummeling twice, then doing ^A, so I assumed I was just timing it wrong.

But thank you for your input everyone else.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I cannot find this is any of the desync threads: but how do you do the alternating ice blocks by each climber in order to do an ice block lock? I've done it occasionally but not sure how

Sieguest

Smash Master
I cannot find this is any of the desync threads: but how do you do the alternating ice blocks by each climber in order to do an ice block lock? I've done it occasionally but not sure how
I'm not too good at it...
but I usually pivot desync into the Ice blocks....:dizzy:

Smoom77

Smash Master
With mashing to release out of grabs, what are the percentages and how fast they get out?

I know that you can get out in 1 frame if it's 40? Or is it 50?

After 40/50, how many frames does it take? Does it ever change again?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
With mashing to release out of grabs, what are the percentages and how fast they get out?

I know that you can get out in 1 frame if it's 40? Or is it 50?

After 40/50, how many frames does it take? Does it ever change again?
I'm only going to answer the 1st one since I'm not a pro on frames... @_@

The min's obviously 0%, and the max is like 60% or so to get out immediately, but I don't really know since it depends on the player's mashing and opponent's percentage; they get out very fast when the player's mashing all the buttons and the control stick(s).

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm sorta looking for an exact percentage/frame rate. I want to be able to use that knowledge in matches. But thanks. :)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I believe Susa has a thread on the tactical boards with the grab release formula as well as how long each characters pummel is. From there, you just plug numbers into the formula and you can get how many frames it would take an opponent to break out of a grab at X %.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing my chaingrabs like a good little noob for a while but i'm having trouble getting the different timing with characters like lucas. I'm able to 0-death easy characters like sheik now but i can't even get to the third fthrow chain.

can anyone just let me know what happens to the timing, i.e., slower, faster, and where its slow/fast? thanks in advance =D

Sieguest

Smash Master
I've been practicing my chaingrabs like a good little noob for a while but i'm having trouble getting the different timing with characters like lucas. I'm able to 0-death easy characters like sheik now but i can't even get to the third fthrow chain.

can anyone just let me know what happens to the timing, i.e., slower, faster, and where its slow/fast? thanks in advance =D
As damage increases you have to regrab faster.:)
Practice. You'll get it.
^The paragon of answers! Live and Learn! (I'm serious)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sounds kind of nubbish, but I've gotten practically every throw down except bthrow, which I get like 50-60% of the time, and it almost seems as if dthrow -> pivot regrab is easier. Should I invest in bthrow still, and if so, how do I get it to work more consistently?

Sieguest

Smash Master
Sounds kind of nubbish, but I've gotten practically every throw down except bthrow, which I get like 50-60% of the time, and it almost seems as if dthrow -> pivot regrab is easier. Should I invest in bthrow still, and if so, how do I get it to work more consistently?
Bthrow's good in my opinion...
I usually listen for the first "whoosh" in the throw sound to get the regrab, and as their damage gets higher I kinda do a just think like I'm putting in a code real fast...it works for me...except for when I get nervous...which happens a lot...:(

but whatever works for you go with it! :)

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
what does it mean to "buffer" attacks/grabs. I've seen a video of some insane chaingrabsbut i don't even know where to start with those. I still havn't perfected my Fthrow grab on all the characters but I feel like that buffering throw tech seems more fool proof so i wanted to try it, this way either ill know if i'm wierd and find that easier or I'll fail miserably and want to work on the Fthrow/bthrow/dthrow more.

Also, if anyone can explain how the mechanics of the game allows it to happen, that tends to help me master a lot of the advanced techniques I've learned in the game.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Buffering is inputing an action before it happens...
for example say you grabbed someone and you fthrow them, if you start pressing the b button then when the fthrow is finished then you'll do an Ice Block! get it?

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Oh makes sense, so basically i would just input a re-grab before the throw is finished. ill give it a shot see how i like it... does the timing change at all from character to character?

Sieguest

Smash Master
Oh makes sense, so basically i would just input a re-grab before the throw is finished. ill give it a shot see how i like it... does the timing change at all from character to character?
Yep...depending on the weight class timing for regrabs shift...
If I'm in my right mind- the lighter the character the faster you have to regrab...

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I have a question. When i do the forward throw with popo and then grab with Nana. When i try to back throw with nana, popo walks away to far to get the grab. How can i solve this problem.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Any match on a flat surface like FD is great. MK is probably like a 45-55 in my opinion. It's pretty even there because there's no platform camping like on BF or Smashville.

Top Bottom