• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I would guess not on Lucas. And probably Ness. Outside of that, not 100% sure since I fthrow > Bthrow everything lol

dettadeus

Smash Lord
In my experience, I've been able to do 40% or more on Snake with Fthrow Fthrow without moving half the length of a dash.

Popo can grab snake while standing slightly behind nana due to his being thrown animation.

:phone:

tekkie

Smash Master
is it a relatively less-known/understood way to CG? i've never seen it done so quickly in such a small walking frame before

DeLux

???

I can think of like 4 ICs off the top of my head that primarily use Fthrow strings

Shout outs to E_Alert

DeLux

Yes, but Fthrow strings should be like the back up go to option for EVERY IC if they are playing in a MU they aren't familiar and don't know the CG since the timing is the same for every character and you can just visualize out the spacing.

People have known this since like early 2009 >_>

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yes the f-throws can be spaced like that for every character BUT Lucas. Ness you can, it is just a stricter timing. I used to CG like that back before I actually picked up ICs.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I find Fthrow chain incredibly hard to do many times in a row. Using Fthrow -> Bthrow you can just see when to time the grab anyways so it doesn't matter much. Snake, Ganon and Zss are the only character I consider hard to Bthrow.

B0NK

Smash Lord
???

I can think of like 4 ICs off the top of my head that primarily use Fthrow strings

Shout outs to E_Alert
I better be one of them LOL

I use to only f-throw>f-throw>spike when I first started playing in 08.

It was the first CG I learned, and I still use f-throw over d-throw most of the time.

f-throw>f-throw da bess CG -_^b

EDIT: Also f-throw should be the go to options in random situations where Nana is elsewhere but with a grab (aka not next to you). So like you missed timed a B-throw part of the chaingrab and Nana goes sliding forward. F-throw is best in that situation to keep the CG going. There's at least a half dozen examples I can think of that are similar =P

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDrmUnz1gQ

Big D, you have gained favor with me. I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG. I feel like I won the lottery. Now every time someone asks how to do a desynch we have a video to refer to.
Even though there are some mistakes (which I made note of in the comments), it gets the point across.
+10 internet cookies

DeLux

I already gave him a ummmm detailed, yes that's the word, list of corrections I'd make as well, but kudos imo

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey so what makes a chaingrab tripless? Can a bthrow, dthrow CG be tripless? The only one that I hear is tripless is the b-throw/f-throw 2011 CG. What else is tripless?

DeLux

Anything where the climbers don't dash when you CG is tripless

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
You only trip at the start of your dash animation, so no, you cannot trip while walking.

Welp, there's my answer, thank you. I will go into Hyperbolic Training for Waba and Apex. I want to make it out of pools this time and make final bracket at Apex. I'm still not sure who I'll use ICs on though because tbh I pretty much have every matchup down w/ Pit except Fox which I struggle so much against. I lost to Zeton's and Gnes's Fox at Whobo mid-tier singles.

How does IC do vs Fox? What is the matchup like?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Fox vs Icies is like Falco vs Icies except easier to deal with because he can't spike you as hard to kill you and he doesn't have a god tier jab.

DeLux

You only trip at the start of your dash animation, so no, you cannot trip while walking.

I also trip while going into pivot animation, so for most bthrow CGs, it's x2 opportunities of tripping.

Welp, there's my answer, thank you. I will go into Hyperbolic Training for Waba and Apex. I want to make it out of pools this time and make final bracket at Apex. I'm still not sure who I'll use ICs on though because tbh I pretty much have every matchup down w/ Pit except Fox which I struggle so much against. I lost to Zeton's and Gnes's Fox at Whobo mid-tier singles.

How does IC do vs Fox? What is the matchup like?
The Fox MU is really super super super super homo. The fox player will run away from you until the end of time. The only solace in all of it is that no matter how horrible of an experience it is for you, it's twice as worse for them.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Tournament today. Tournament next weekend. <3
Guys, I'm going to go to as many as I can before the Air Force militarizes me and I stop finding fun in things like video games or food.
:)

Edit: Whoops, this is the Q+A thread, not the social, I'd better post for relevancy,

WHAT DO AGAINST WARIO
I NEED TRICKS AND ADVICE

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Tournament today. Tournament next weekend. <3
Guys, I'm going to go to as many as I can before the Air Force militarizes me and I stop finding fun in things like video games or food.
:)

Edit: Whoops, this is the Q+A thread, not the social, I'd better post for relevancy,

WHAT DO AGAINST WARIO
I NEED TRICKS AND ADVICE
Read old discussions, so the search button is my advice.

Removed By Request

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, when I'm doing the alternating bthrow->dthrow CG, Nana will sometimes attempt to grab while Popo is regrabbing (rather than shield buffer like she usually does). So I have to slow down my CG in order to make sure Nana's grab animation doesn't screw it up randomly. Is there any way to ensure that she always shield buffers? Am I doing something wrong?

crifer

Smash Lord
Hey guys, when I'm doing the alternating bthrow->dthrow CG, Nana will sometimes attempt to grab while Popo is regrabbing (rather than shield buffer like she usually does). So I have to slow down my CG in order to make sure Nana's grab animation doesn't screw it up randomly. Is there any way to ensure that she always shield buffers? Am I doing something wrong?
Remember that if you press Z and hold Z your shield will come out.
simply hold Z a little while (or whatever your grab button is) in order to make nana shield instead of grab.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Hypothetical scenario time

If I were to pick up ICs right now, would it be too late at this point in Brawl's lifespan to become any good with them?

I ask because I realize that this character takes time to become successful with. I'm aware that you have to learn how to actually fight as them first, and then you gotta learn the grabs. I have zero experience playing as ICs, for the record.

DeLux

Generally there's been a strong history of people that have mained other characters and then converted to ICs with great success.

Vinnie and ESAM come to mind. It looked like it took them about a six months to get good and about a year to be amazing

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hypothetical scenario time

If I were to pick up ICs right now, would it be too late at this point in Brawl's lifespan to become any good with them?

I ask because I realize that this character takes time to become successful with. I'm aware that you have to learn how to actually fight as them first, and then you gotta learn the grabs. I have zero experience playing as ICs, for the record.
It's never too late to main ICs. I find that they are a difficult character to main due to the technical aspect/psychological/player responses. They are an extremely technical character, and the patience you need to learn everything can be overwhelming at times. Also, I main Pit, and I had a player on wifi down-talk me about my campy style and that I had no skill and no fundamentals, but imagine if you mained ICs...I'm sure it's way worse even in person, so you have to be strong-minded and not worry what people say about you or your character, but just play to win.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
From personal experience, you will hit a lot of plateaus with ICs that will considerably slow you down. Really good players can overcome this much much faster, allowing them to become amazing in like half a year. I'm still stuck there, beating those plateaus one at a time...

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Guys I've come to a point where I feel like I can't improve what so ever....... It's just really hard, figuring out how to take the next step. I feel like I'm only at the foundation of a 24 story building. What would you guys do in my position as an IC main? Any tips....

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
1) Practicing each matchup on computers and players (don't take much damage if you can avoid it on computers, and just read the players for smart opportunities).

2) videos - example: how did 9B manage to force the opponent into that last grab? Can I do that? *attempt* *learn*, what did the opponent do to split up Vinnie's climbers? What could he have done to avoid that, or even punish the attempt?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ok, ICs are off stage vs MK...what are some of the best options? And this happened to me while playing online matches, but MK shuttle loops Popo after Nana uses up-b to grab the ledge...what's next? How do you recover?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's all about being unpredictable. If MK knows how you are going to recover, you have no chance of making it back. Remember sideB goes really far if you mash well so there is no need to get back ASAP. I usually try to bait MK into dairing or shuttle looping me, but making him whiff by suddenly backing up, then using an upB or sideB to go through him.
If you get hit offstage against MK, it is unlikely you make it back. If the thing you explained in your post happens where MK interrupts your upB, you are surely dead.

AdamToTheApple

Smash Rookie
NNID
AdamToTheApple
Faster? What exactly do you mean by that? I heard at a tournament all I have to do is buffer it. What did that mean?

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
buffering something is when u press the buttons for something ur going to do while ur still doing something else.

Like MKs like to buffer UP Bs after they down smash or tornado.

If u buffer a dthrow with popo right after u make the climbers grab nana wont fall through the platform. Then as u do the dthrow with popo and get the regrab with nana buffer a dthrow again and repeat.

Top Bottom