• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Smoom77

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243922 said:
1. Buffer Desync
With the exception of Squall Hammer (FSpecial) or Belay (USpecial), perform any move and while in the lag of that move buffer a dash in the opposite direction to your facing. When the lag ends, only Nana will dash, while Popo will simply turn around.
Check that thread.

Your second question sounds specific but in reality it's really difficult to answer. If you're good, ICs players should just be using desyncs for whatever situation they're in. You learn naturally what works as you play more.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I land grabs by either reading their landings, punishing mistakes, nair on platforms, or RARELY desyncs.

Grail

Smash Rookie
- How long on average do you think it takes to perfect all types of chaingrabs on any character?
- What's the best way to desync fast?
- Any tips for when you have a solo Ice Climber left?
- Best way to edgeguard with IC's?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Depends how much you practice and how good muscle memory sticks with you. I learned mine relatively quickly because I relied on muscle memory in Melee due to my main (Samus). No real answer for this one.

Deferring until Delux answers

Just play as if you were playing any other character

Wait for them to come back and edge-pressure them. Edge pressure is much more successful than edgeguarding with ICs.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The best way to desync quickly is to use an option that puts on the most pressure without getting you hit. It's entirely dependent on the MU, the zoning, and the situation/conditioning of your opponent. It's like asking, "Which is the best Aerial to use?" as a blanket question. Certain options are better in certain situations. I tend to stick to ones with the lowest startup threshold regardless of technical input window difficulty.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
How long does it usually take to learn how to chain grab? Is that the only thing you can do with them? The only thing I can do to kill someone is get them out of sync and then kill my opponent if they re off the stage. And this is rarely.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I practice probably an hour a day on each of a few characters nowadays and I'm down to dropping only like 5-10% of the time.
Although I use a lot of different chaingrabs that require different amounts of practice.

Just keep practicing until you stop dropping them and then that's how long it takes to learn how to chaingrab.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I practice probably an hour a day on each of a few characters nowadays and I'm down to dropping only like 5-10% of the time.
Although I use a lot of different chaingrabs that require different amounts of practice.

Just keep practicing until you stop dropping them and then that's how long it takes to learn how to chaingrab.
Seems Legit. I like it.

Oh, how about I was playing in a Tournament today with Ice Climbers. I totally killed the Kirby the first round, but the Wolf killed me the second round. I was not aware of how the match up of Wolf and IC is. Unless I'm just that bad.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
or when u need to grab that ****ing hoe peach.

That dam **** is so hard to grab and her dair is like 2 jack knives that **** up ur 2 little ****ers.

If I get the grab its cause I get the grab the ***** from the threads of her dress.

Limeee

Smash Champion
should i learn the bthrow dthrow chaingrab or some other chain grab?

i always see top ice climbers using the bthrow dthrow but my friend was telling me it wasn't as good as dthrow to fthrow due to the chance of nana tripping when she bthrows

:009:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Just go someone else for peach. It's just not worth it to go Icies vs a character who has several moves safe on shield and never has to be in your grab range. >_>

also @Tricky Shadowe waaaaaa you have my old avvie ugh this is confusing lol

@Limeee Lux has been telling people to learn P Fthrow > N Bthrow which IMO is a really good and relatively easy chaingrab, P Bthrow > N F/Dthrow is pretty easy to space and time consistently once you figure it out but there's the chance of nana tripping which isn't in Fthrow > Bthrow.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'm sorry for asking this cause I'm sure you're sick of answering the same questions over and over, but I searched for it and couldn't find it.

So when I'm chain grabbing lighter characters (bthrow->dthrow) a lot of times when I regrab with popo, Nana will throw out an empty grab and I have to wait for her to finish her grab before continuing. How do I get rid of this? At lower percents people break out of the grab before she's ready, and I could get the kill if I didn't have to wait for her. It's obnoxious lol

:phone:

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
also @Tricky Shadowe waaaaaa you have my old avvie ugh this is confusing lol
Sorreh. I have been trying to look for a good one. And me having Lucas on there when he's not really my main person is confusing enough. I have to say IC are my main brawl character, but when it comes to doubles.... I need to find someone else.

Grail

Smash Rookie
Would you guys ever recommend using IC's UP-B to attack an opponent in the air? As a surprise maybe?

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
Would you guys ever recommend using IC's UP-B to attack an opponent in the air? As a surprise maybe?
IS it sad that it's the majority of the way that i kill opponents? I figured that they would see it coming, but nope.

It is one of my favorite attacks. :p

Takun09

Smash Rookie
I Would only use it if im 150% Sure it will connect and will kill, other then that its pretty risky cause your opponent will smile and have a field day with you if you miss.

DeLux

As many of you know, I have probably played the TL MU more than any other IC. I think my tourney record against MJG's TL is 0-13 ish. That being said, we've played a lot of games and I've literally tried every option I could think of, and in doing so, I stumbled across a use for belay.

Belay will kill TL around 135% from the lower Battlefield platforms. One of the options that a good TL player in the MU will do is time an iBomb into a platform and land and shield. If you belay when you know the ibomb is coming, Nana as a hitbox will go through the bomb and hit the TL before he can bring his shield up due to landing lag. The game can become a mock version of playing chicken if he has a bomb in hand and is shielding on a platform. Belay has a tendency to shield poke VERY early in shield life. At the same time, if the Belay hits the shield, there's enough shield push to send the TL into ledge slip minimizing possible punishes. If they try to ibomb away, for the most part the bomb again places Nana as a hitbox within range of hitting TL out of air dodge.

I think I've only hit him with this two or three times, because I try to manage the game flow so I don't have to. This is an option that I'd use in desperation mode, because it's ultimately super high risk, moderately high reward.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
As many of you know, I have probably played the TL MU more than any other IC. I think my tourney record against MJG's TL is 0-13 ish. That being said, we've played a lot of games and I've literally tried every option I could think of, and in doing so, I stumbled across a use for belay.

Belay will kill TL around 135% from the lower Battlefield platforms. One of the options that a good TL player in the MU will do is time an iBomb into a platform and land and shield. If you belay when you know the ibomb is coming, Nana as a hitbox will go through the bomb and hit the TL before he can bring his shield up due to landing lag. The game can become a mock version of playing chicken if he has a bomb in hand and is shielding on a platform. Belay has a tendency to shield poke VERY early in shield life. At the same time, if the Belay hits the shield, there's enough shield push to send the TL into ledge slip minimizing possible punishes. If they try to ibomb away, for the most part the bomb again places Nana as a hitbox within range of hitting TL out of air dodge.

I think I've only hit him with this two or three times, because I try to manage the game flow so I don't have to. This is an option that I'd use in desperation mode, because it's ultimately super high risk, moderately high reward.
Any time I jump towards them (as if to u-air) and read an airdodge OR an attack, I just belay.

I seriously get like 25% of my non CG kills with Belay. >.>

Malkz

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to pick up the Ice Climbers right now, and I'm having some, expected, intense difficulty learning the chain grabs. I'm practicing the alternating back-throw, and I think I have the timing for back throw into Nana, but when it comes to Nana to Popo I simply can't seem to do it right. When I try to back-throw Popo dashes forward or the opponent is thrown too far. Is there some method that could help me ? I've checked some guides and videos but it hasn't really helped in this specific problem.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Guys, randomly when im doing bthrow drthrow, for instance on mk, when i regrab with dthrow nana tends to do a grab, which messes up the cg, why is that? normally she is supposed to put up her shield then drop it right after but randomly she doesnt do it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
You're not holding shield after dthrow. You have to hold shield(which is the grab button in this case so when you do the dthrow keep holding the button a sec) for a sec or she'll grab.

Now for my question: How long can we walking solo dthrow cg falco/fox.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
You're not holding shield after dthrow. You have to hold shield(which is the grab button in this case so when you do the dthrow keep holding the button a sec) for a sec or she'll grab.

Now for my question: How long can we walking solo dthrow cg falco/fox.
At a guess, probably somewhere between 25% and 45%, assuming you've been CGing them since around 0. The throws have to be somewhat stale but not completely stale, iirc.

DeLux

I have the exact percents on my laptop on a spread sheet, and I'll post it when I have internet at home

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
so what do I do about the dk MU on wifi?

I suck so bad at it. I can't use ICs I can't cg. So how do I win? I suck.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Real men at least try to cg on wifi. CGing on wifi is manlier than a falcon punch.

Besides this if there is anything I need to learn with ICs its learning how to desync FAST and I mean fast.

When I was fighting Ryo, Desyncs really helped with getting the grab.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
What do I do when someone is right in front of me? I know it sounds silly but I am really not sure how to approach an opponent on the ground.

I'm still trying to figure out the CG but I will figure it out. Is there one that someone could recommend? Preferably easier XD.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
Ok thanks, also would you recommend walking over running? Walking is normally better for other characters but if you're trying to chase someone then it might be beneficial to run.

C.J.

Smash Master
You know what, Esam. I really like that you're so active on here helping other players. More top players should do this.

+10 respect points

Top Bottom