• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Noooo GW is best character on RC.

:D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IC worth the trouble using as a secondary? I main G&W and Rob with some Peach thrown in there.
It would be easy using IC for certain MUs only, easier to chaingrab effectively it will be an effective counterpick.
Just the problem is the fact are they worth it? They are pretty hard actually.
Also should I stay grounded as much as possible? I recall someone saying in the air, we can't grab so our biggest weapon is gone temporarily.
Also, against Falco, should I avoid being desynched at all?

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Also, against Falco, should I avoid being desynched at all?
Yes unless you are DeLux and can desync in like 4 frames or some bull**** like that.

His lasers interrupt too well to effectively desync (unless you're ****ing DeLux how do you do that **** DeLux) and there are other reasons but I have no time to elaborate.

Easiest way to beat Falco is wait for a phantasm (they all do it) and u-tilt > grab. Seriously broken ****.

Edit: All IMO.
I'm not as good as the others. I sit below Roller, I think, in skill.
No one knows who I am.
xD

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
SND > P Shield Drop > N IB is super broken in this matchup I've noticed

But you need to time the SND to Shield so you shield the laser. In doing so, you cover your desync option from the laser with shield which makes the desync window from shield drop longer because of shield hitstun. Since you covered the desync option, now the IB can cover your approach option.

Then there's like a tree of five things that can happen after that, 3 of which nets in a grab, one of which nets in a reset, and one of them is kind of a crap shoot depending on spacing. But eating a laser for a couple damage to secure an IB to control the space is a good trade usually imo, but you can feel free to disagree.

Or bait the side special and don't approach. But it's nice having a couple of backup options if you fall behind and you have to go for something riskier. Fortunately nearly every falco option loses to shield grab.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
...You can just pivot IB lux lol. It doesn't matter how you desynch if you are desynching far away from your opponent. If you mean in close - medium range pivot IB is still good because you can uptilt immediately if they phantasm, which gets you a free grab.

Basically just spam IB any way you want against falco and you will win >_> lol.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
...You can just pivot IB lux lol. It doesn't matter how you desynch if you are desynching far away from your opponent. If you mean in close - medium range pivot IB is still good because you can uptilt immediately if they phantasm, which gets you a free grab.

Basically just spam IB any way you want against falco and you will win >_> lol.
Pretty much. desync side b also ***** falcos side b.

:phone:

DeLux

lol does desynced squall actually work? I might try that for another out of shield option

But yeah. Jordan, I use my option because it's capable of desyncing through a ground level laser spam with the possibility of not eating a laser to do so. That's both the SHDL second laser or even grounded spam. Since those are the only laser beams that really matter for falco setup stuff, I like the idea of just pooping on all of their laser options. But admittedly we pooped on most of their options anyway before fancy things like that were around. I agree whatever safely gets IBs on the field is what works. Posted more for Saint's benefit because he seems to have an affinity for fast desyncing action :D

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Yea make one of the squal if you predict a phantasm. And hit him with it once and retreat with that squal and have the other walk up grab because he will be stuck in phantom lag.

Aye lux how do you oos desync?

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I didn't check here for a little.

Roller and esam.

I accept your challenge.
How about Saturdayyyyyyywifiiiii.

If hylian will join me.

I suck at Gdubz. I mained him forever ago.
I forgot how to play him.

DeLux

Yea make one of the squal if you predict a phantasm. And hit him with it once and retreat with that squal and have the other walk up grab because he will be stuck in phantom lag.

Aye lux how do you oos desync?

Most people will triple dash dance out of shield

You can also SND, kakera/2 dash dance, turnaround, LD1, LD2, shield drop squall, shield drop belay, shield hit stun will also desync off the top of my head.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Move control stick in direction opposite of where your facing about halfway (do it so that the ICs do not dash) then flick the control stick forward in the direction you were facing in the same motion then input a special or attack.

So if facing -> the inputs will be like:
<-(to half way) then snap the control stick -> and input an IB or Blizzard or even an attack or some other derivative of SND.

DeLux

Saint, I told you over skype already that you're broken and getting a rep for being known as such:\

You didn't believe me then though apparently

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, but I'm new to Ice Climbers and I want to know is it best to work on chaingrabs at first and what is a main chain grab that would work generally on a lot of characters?

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Wolfs high tier.

@zanx I got it this time! Come on, Gary needs a new pair of shoes!

The responses given to your question vary. Some people say "ignor ChainGrabs for now, just work on playing as ICs." others sometimes say "work on desyncs and CGs."

Honestly, we all train in our own way. Practice F-throw chaingrabs, but don't dedicate all your time to it. Donate some time to playstyle. After you're comfortable with ICs, and F-throw, try D-throw chain grabbing.
After that, try F-throw to D-throw chain grabbing, the try to throw some B-throw CGs into the mix.

This CG is trash, but it's good for learning CGs, and how they work. Try it out on different characters. Sonetimes you may perfer D-throw D-throw, sometimes F-throw B-throw.

And learn desyncs. Don't be bad like me.
Learn to use desyncs.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thank you :) I'll spend some time but not all time learning chain grabs and I'm getting used to desyncs now and eventually I'll learn when to do them right. Today I got a tournament to go to so I wanted to know what I could try doing before I go there xD does it take a long time to get good with chain grabbing when I do try focusing on it? ._.

Life

Smash Hero
Protip: when you're first starting to learn chaingrabbing, if you're having trouble, swap to a different character. I found GnW/Marth the easiest to learn when I was starting a few months ago. Once you have the basic motion down, switch to PT so you learn to adapt to different character weights quickly.

That's about where my ICs are currently and I have /hope4 tomorrow. (Haven't worked on any desyncs yet, but I don't plan on using ICs outside friendlies anyway--at least, not yet.)

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Hobbles? xD Sorry don't know what that is :p Thanks for the tip about who to practice on ! I appreciate the help and for my questions being answered

DeLux

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, but I'm new to Ice Climbers and I want to know is it best to work on chaingrabs at first and what is a main chain grab that would work generally on a lot of characters?
Work on what you're bad at. If you're bad at CGing, practice CGing. If you're bad at commanding the character, practice that. If you're bad at winning, beat people.

Practice what you can when you can. If you only have CPUs available to work with, then your most valuable practice at that point is probably learning to CG. If you're practicing with people, work on what you're bad at.

I still don't believe that I am broken.
I'm too bad at this game. That's like saying Wolf is broken. xD
But is Wolf IS broken :(

He flies around the screen kicking things to oblivion and goes in and out of invincibility at will

Okay, thank you :) I'll spend some time but not all time learning chain grabs and I'm getting used to desyncs now and eventually I'll learn when to do them right. Today I got a tournament to go to so I wanted to know what I could try doing before I go there xD does it take a long time to get good with chain grabbing when I do try focusing on it? ._.
Try this: When you grab someone with Popo, start charging a forward smash with Nana. Then down or back throw with Popo depending on where the blast zone is, and hit them with Nana for the kill. Since you'll be dropping grabs as a first timer, reducing your throw total might help to start.

You may want to try hobbles.

They're easy, and you can do them like, forever.

You can only hobble people to 220ish because IBs freeze.

Protip: when you're first starting to learn chaingrabbing, if you're having trouble, swap to a different character. I found GnW/Marth the easiest to learn when I was starting a few months ago. Once you have the basic motion down, switch to PT so you learn to adapt to different character weights quickly.

That's about where my ICs are currently and I have /hope4 tomorrow. (Haven't worked on any desyncs yet, but I don't plan on using ICs outside friendlies anyway--at least, not yet.)
ICs in friendlies, yikes

Hobbles? xD Sorry don't know what that is :p Thanks for the tip about who to practice on ! I appreciate the help and for my questions being answered
Throw with Popo > Footstool with Nana > IB reset/force getup with Popo > Grab > Repeat

Top Bottom