• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I don't think I've ever missed a hobble on snake lol.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
There's a very obscure set of circumstances that can occur (3 windows involving spacing and timing), that if all 3 occur the IB will go over Snake. I think I've done it five times out of the couple thousand I've hobbled snake to test it

Roller

Smash Legend
How do you hobble "too quickly?" You just mash jump until it works. The only time it ****s up (outside of this bizarre instance Lux has pointed out, which I may have seen happen once or twice ever.) is if you mechanically do something wrong with your fingers. Such as not hitting back on the analog stick or something.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
There's a very obscure set of circumstances that can occur (3 windows involving spacing and timing), that if all 3 occur the IB will go over Snake. I think I've done it five times out of the couple thousand I've hobbled snake to test it
Yes, this has happened to me before in tourney, its the most frustrating thing to happen in tourney.

Also, Attila help me learn Japanese. :V

DeLux

You'd probably be better of going King DDD if you had one.

The Wario matchup is super stressful if you ever fall behind but very easy if you're ahead. For the most part you should be able to play from ahead based on our damage output, but it's not an easy matchup at all objectively. I think it's +1 us, the new matchup chart is going to call it even, and I've seen opinions range from +3 to -1.

DeLux

I would think a RC would be a stage a Wario would CP in that matchup, not the other way around...

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Well, our resident Waio CP's Frigate, but yeah, RC's the other I ban. #nsdoublebanswag

I could try DDD, But he's just not as mobile as DK, which annoys me, haha.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would think RC benefits DK more since DK doesn't get CGd anywhere but the boat and he still gets some GR stuff

DeLux

My thought process was simply adding on the whole Wario capitalizing on forced aerial zoning + more room to run from grabs if he doesn't want to go for the moderate risk to high reward trade, but it still being there as an option on the boat and top side scroller.

But I only play Wario on RC/Brinstar so my frame of reference on matchups compared to neutrals is probably skewed

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've gotten several top players in the dtilt lock with GW vs MK on RC in tournament lol.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
The whole running away and such is what turns me away. Besides, I'm not comfortable on it, so I prefer comfort to whether it's a stronger CP.

DeLux

Metaknight. He covers all bad matchups and he dominates on their worst stages.

DeLux

The only issue with Wario is that he gets bodied pretty hard by Peach, who also does really well against us. I want to say that playing on only Brinstar would help mitigate that, but I'm not going to pretend that I've played a Peach in tournament with Wario so that's just speclation/theorycraft/rumor mongering on my part. That being said, Wario is ridiculous on Brinstar.

Mr. Game and Watch is just as ridiculous on Rainbow Cruise, and has sort of a historical tradition with being the go to IC secondary. Hylian and Vinnie have more or less shown what the threat of a top level Game and Watch can do when it comes to counter picking and protecting against the janky stages and even using the system in your favor. On a MU spread level, Game and Watch is slightly more limited than Wario both in my and BBR MU chart's opinion, but again it's probably going to be on RC so it doesn't reallly matter.

Outside of that, it's kind of a crapshoot between DDD (common for making the Snake MU easier back when Snake was considered our hardest MU), Pikachu for handling the other stages especially RC (although I feel like the IC/Pika people went from Pika to IC and going from IC to Pika might be more difficult), Marth because of his fairly neutral MU spread, and whatever personal preference is.

I use Lucas because I feel like he has a lot of technical depth as a character and is top tiered for low tier events. I also recently have been playing a lot of Mario, which for some reason I have a natural feel for as a character probably because I use him before every set when I enter my control scheme via the "test" function. Both are also better on janky stages, but they are low tier and pretty/very limited and I have more or less resorted to forfeiting game 2 if I win game 1 (don't do that).

But seriously, Metaknight is the best secondary in terms of stage and matchup covering.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Pretty much all the top/high tier characters have some value of being a secondary for Ice Climbers.

I personally play Game and Watch on CPs cause Its fun and I like the character. Occasionally I'll go Ice Climbers on like RC but for the most part I'll go GnW.

Roller

Smash Legend
I've started using ICs on RC sometimes. But otherwise I normally go pika, since I'm one of those Pika/ICs Lux mentioned that started out as pika and converted.

I also believe Pika is the best character in the game on RC. Yeah. I said it.

DeLux

I have the brain capacity of Nana, and RC makes me auto forfeit my stocks when I'm under stress.

Top Bottom