• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The only way to do what cheese is saying is to SH not under the platform and move under it while falling and uair.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Hmmm... Interesting. Seems like you're just asking to get punished while you're flat on your back on the floor beneath them in landing lag.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmmm... Interesting. Seems like you're just asking to get punished while you're flat on your back on the floor beneath them in landing lag.
You can do two uairs in one sh, you can do one halfway with no lag still.

Also, you should just be nairing them if they are on the platform really.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
The only way to do what cheese is saying is to SH not under the platform and move under it while falling and uair.
I'm used to doing that because i got sick of getting my uairs shuttle looped.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I read it, I just don't know what oli's AT nonsense does. Regardless, the ICs duck their heads when they uair. So the hurtbox is lower than where it "should" be.
Okay, that makes sense then. Couple that with what you said about getting hit by shuffle-loop and what RBM said about G&W's dtilt, I take back my theory, haha.

Olimar has ATs?

I quit. That is a bold face lie right there, sir.
Very few, most are just mechanic abuses of standard techniques. Specifically to this situation, there is an "AT" related to performing a usmash oos. If an opponent's hit-box touches a Pikmin while charging a smash, but does not hit Olimar, the Pikmin will "desync" towards the opponent and take some arbitrary KB of the attack while retaining the hitbox - usually hitting the opponent in the process. The mechanic abuse of usmash oos is that when an attack hits your shield, the hitbox of that attack is neutralized for your character. However, since Pikmin aren't part of Olimar, but coded as an article, the shield doesn't cancel the hitbox for them, thus you can do an upsmash and the Pikmin will do the rocketing mechanic I previously described. Like I said, not really an "AT"... more just sakurai-mechanic abuse. It's no different than jump-canceling an usmash with any other character, lol.

To answer your question Dynce, I'm 00-0
It's the tag for my name lol
Oh, haha. I thought it was some type of abbreviation or something, sorry XD

Tmacc

Smash Lord
when I played logic in a mm at apex he upsmash OoS my upairs. was pretty much like mk on a platform -_____-

olimar >>>> ics
Not true. And I'm using this character for Olimar now because of it. Been practicing hard core to have them ready by WHOBO.

Although my D3 is good against Olimar, I can never seem to pull the set win out against good ones.

Plus pocket ICs are awesome.

Lion Dance

Smash Rookie
So i'm a new Ice Climbers main and I know getting the chain grabs down is important, what else would you more seasoned players suggest i practice doing

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Definitely practicing and learning your desyncs. Knowing when and how to desync is an important part to learning how to get the grab setups.
You should also mix in constant practice of your cgs so you know what to do when you actually do get the grab.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
So i'm a new Ice Climbers main and I know getting the chain grabs down is important, what else would you more seasoned players suggest i practice doing
If you're really dedicated then you should already know the answer: Learn EVERYTHING.

Look up everything, Look at old videos, new videos, desynch videos. Learn CGs, learn desynchs, learn fusion glitch, know EVERY BIT OF DATA YOU CAN FIND. Watch videos of every Ice Climber player from when the game first came out up till now. See what they did wrong and right, see how they spaced and how the maneuvered themselves. Read every old thread that is in these boards, even the troll thread that got lock immediately. Make it so that if there is a frame data question, you can answer exactly when it the attack comes out, its cool down, IASAs, Frame Advantage, and so on. Strive to know more than any of us here. Practice until your fingers become swollen. Do whatever you can to surpass us, and make us have to repeat this process just to surpass even you. Thats what you SHOULD do.

/rant

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Nah man just do liek CGs and u gud 2 go.

:troll:

Nah seriously everything Rubberbandman said. The CGs are important but you'll never land them without knowing the proper setups for them. And make sure you learn the character first. Learn their moveset, their strengths and weaknesses and all of that. Chaingrabbing and Desynchs should come after you understand and are able to play Ice Climbers at a basic level. Get to know the spacing of your moves also. Its a huge help and stepping stone towards the more advanced aspects of competitive IC play.

ZTD | TECHnology

Maybe I'm weird but I've found that for middle weights I have had a lot more success chaingrabbing them by using the B-Throw to F-Throw method. It seems to set me up just right in terms of spacing. Does anyone else do this or have better methods?

Excellence

Smash Champion
So I've been using the Ice Climbers lately and I've got down how to de-sync and the basic combos for it but I'm still having a little trouble with the chaingrabs. I'm specifically talking about the alternating BThrow -> DThrow chaingrab. Sometimes when I throw them back, Nana rolls backward. Sometimes she does not turn around at all but instead grabs in place after I toss to her. Can someone tell me what is going on in each of these situations?

For middle weights, how effective is alternating DThrow? And what's the most reliable grab for heavies?

ZTD | TECHnology

I believe that if Nana is backward rolling then you are pressing Z a bit too early because you roll when you press Z and a direction together. The idea is for her to be pivot grabbing to catch lightweights or just simply pivoting and then grabbing (but not together) for heavier opponents. As for her just standing there I am not sure what does that. Never really had that happen to me *shrugs*

And as far middleweights go people have their own methods from what Ive seen. I've been practicing a lot recently and seeing that B-Throw > F-Throw works wonders for me. I've been able to 0 to death Lucario, Luigi, Mario, Yoshi and others pretty consistently with it. But thats just how I do it.

And heavy weights once again everyone has their own method. I still haven't found a great method yet. Hobbling is fun but it shouldnt be relied on.

There are far more knowledgeable people on these boards though that should be able to answer your questions though. I just thought I would answer what I know as a beginning ICs player.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
So I've been using the Ice Climbers lately and I've got down how to de-sync and the basic combos for it but I'm still having a little trouble with the chaingrabs. I'm specifically talking about the alternating BThrow -> DThrow chaingrab. Sometimes when I throw them back, Nana rolls backward. Sometimes she does not turn around at all but instead grabs in place after I toss to her. Can someone tell me what is going on in each of these situations?

For middle weights, how effective is alternating DThrow? And what's the most reliable grab for heavies?
Practice, use your own observational skills and logic to determine "why x does y". Why would nana ever roll during a grab? because grab functions as a shield when held, therefore roll gets buffered out when you try to input a direction when attempting to move nana about. CGs is just gameplay physics at work, if you haven't used observation to figure it out by now you're doomed.

CGs are person to person dependent. Do what you feel is right.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Whats the best stage to take toon link to? I fought a really good TL in my tourney yesterday and I took him to battle field so I didn't have to worry about dodging his bombs all the time but it was very difficult to get damage on him because he made it very difficult for me to punish his landing. any tips?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I agree, platforms empower TL against us, on BF you're going to have a hard (impossible) time approaching so you better be prepared to win by chip damage if at all. Take him somewhere where it's hard for him to camp, FD, Yoshi's Island and Smashville are good choices, personally I do not mind Delfino or Castle Siege either.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Control where your opponent's TL lands(by uait pressuring) and you might get oppoturnitys for grabs, worked well for me a long time ago, and should still work since it worked on stages like yoshis.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
oh and what is the best stage to take olimar to? and what is the best way to approach him? I tried desyncing blizzard but the olimar that I played would just throw a purple pikmin through and all hell would break loose. any tips?

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Just by that comment above, I would say "Enda, you need to learn more about Olimar and his Pikmin, especially after all the kinda bad info you gave me in the chat"
=/

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Unless your name is Hylian, sooner or later that Purple comes for all of us. We are Doomed.

In a convo I had with him a while back, he said to retreat your blizzard wall when a purple is throw. You can do this by jumping backwards as the blizzard hits, or even SHAD with Popo to pull back Nana while she's blizzarding.

When Fino hits me with a failed purple that gets stopped in blizzard wall, I try to kill it. It's worth it.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
oh and what is the best stage to take olimar to? and what is the best way to approach him? I tried desyncing blizzard but the olimar that I played would just throw a purple pikmin through and all hell would break loose. any tips?
Just by that comment above, I would say "Enda, you need to learn more about Olimar and his Pikmin, especially after all the kinda bad info you gave me in the chat"
=/
...>.>

10 >.>s

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Unless you time them out.

Top Bottom