• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
SNOW IS IN THIS GAME?

GOD DAMMIT.

:mad:

EDIT: So I wasn't paying attention before, but FFX is coming out for PS3 too? Neat! But my PS2 copy still works so I doubt I'll buy it again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SNOW IS IN THIS GAME?

GOD DAMMIT.

:mad:

EDIT: So I wasn't paying attention before, but FFX is coming out for PS3 too? Neat! But my PS2 copy still works so I doubt I'll buy it again.
Snow's gotta show us more of that Steel Guard! in XIII-2.

And yeah. S-E's been vague on if it's really a remaster or something more though. They haven't clarified.
I really expect it's just an HD filter, but who knows. Either way, I guess the US finally gets those extra boss fights and new sphere grid.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I guess FFXIII-2 takes place in some sort of alternate universe where
Lightning sacrificed herself along with Fang and Vanille to prevent Cocoon from crashing into Pulse at the end of FFXIII
? Or maybe since time travel has been confirmed in the game, it was the work of the Time Haters? Whatever, at least Hope looks more badass.

And Snow needs to put his ****ing hat back on. AND THEN GET THE **** OUT OF THIS GAME.

I really expect it's just an HD filter, but who knows. Either way, I guess the US finally gets those extra boss fights and new sphere grid.
Wait, they're remaking FFX International? That's actually pretty awesome! I might pick that up if it's <$45.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, whatever the game is, I'm only expecting it to have extras from International.
It'd be silly if they didn't since it's not like they have to translate anything.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
@Gates
Yea other characters can, Sephiroth and Kuja are good at doing that iirc, Sephiroth can spam Shadow Flare for example to build up his meter (and get combo's off that and then rack up more damage with Assists)

I'm afraid I don't know much about Exp to X abilities :S As for Flare not connecting to Ultima properly, I noticed that too and I honestly don't know why that happens. Looks pretty irritating though

Ex Revenge is something new they introduced. If you get hit whilst you've got a full Ex Gauge, you can use the whole thing up and freeze your opponent for a while (they can Assist change out of it though). Ex Mode is so short and Ex Bursts are so terrible that it's actually worth considering

I've seen a video where Gabranth has Ex Revenged someone and then charged his Ex all the way back up using Ex Charge - I wonder if it's possible to Ex Revenge, Ex Charge and then unleash hell by going into Ex Mode whilst they're still frozen

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Bleh, I just realized that I meant EX Guard and not EX Burst.

Ex Revenge is something new they introduced. If you get hit whilst you've got a full Ex Gauge, you can use the whole thing up and freeze your opponent for a while (they can Assist change out of it though). Ex Mode is so short and Ex Bursts are so terrible that it's actually worth considering

I've seen a video where Gabranth has Ex Revenged someone and then charged his Ex all the way back up using Ex Charge - I wonder if it's possible to Ex Revenge, Ex Charge and then unleash hell by going into Ex Mode whilst they're still frozen
Though there was no official name for it back in the original Dissidia, it was pretty much the same as what you described here. When an opponent is attacking you, you activate EX Mode and it lets you out of the combo like a burst from GG and staggers them so that you can get free combos on them, usually ending an EX Burst for a kill.

This doesn't look nearly as bad as that though since it doesn't seem to actually put you in EX Mode and thus you can't use EX Burst. This is probably the best gameplay decision they made since raw activation of EX Mode sucks.

So they basically took the worst part of the game and made it simultaneously better and worse. Ehh, I guess it's for the best since an EX Counter was usually a free win in the original.

And yeah, I'm sure what you said is a major Gabranth tactic. He was high tier in Dissidia simply because he could turtle for meter and then bait the opponent into getting a combo off on him so he could EX Mode out of it and go into an easy EX Burst. If he's able to do the same in Dissidia 012 then he's probably still a big deal. Nevermind, I just reread what you said and I seriously doubt they'd be frozen for long enough for Gabranth to build a full bar. EX Revenge only lasts for 4 seconds and Gabranth takes 2 seconds to build about 40% of his EX meter, so there's no way he'd make it in time. Really shows how important being able to abuse the game system is, doesn't it? :p

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really hoping that FFX HD makes people realize that FFX and FFXIII are the exact same game.

I'm also really hoping for better voice acting.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
98% of everything is crap. The amount of books, games and movies I found disappointing heavily outweigh the amount I thought were actually good.

And honestly, books tend to be better at telling stories than any video game or Japanese cartoon (although there are a very few exceptions).
It's sad but very true. The only thing that saddens me more is how content everyone is with crap books, games, movies, & t.v. shows. *shrugs*:urg:

Cloud/Sephiroth debate: Daily Final Fantasy feed EXPLODES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHOY6WJa8Y4

^ the realistic version

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
And yeah, I'm sure what you said is a major Gabranth tactic. He was high tier in Dissidia simply because he could turtle for meter and then bait the opponent into getting a combo off on him so he could EX Mode out of it and go into an easy EX Burst. If he's able to do the same in Dissidia 012 then he's probably still a big deal. Nevermind, I just reread what you said and I seriously doubt they'd be frozen for long enough for Gabranth to build a full bar. EX Revenge only lasts for 4 seconds and Gabranth takes 2 seconds to build about 40% of his EX meter, so there's no way he'd make it in time. Really shows how important being able to abuse the game system is, doesn't it? :p
Found the video I saw it in

I think this might be because equips are on though, I dunno. Either way I did a double take when that happened

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Definitely had Equips on. You can tell because the max HP for every character without equips is 6999 and this guy had over 10000 HP.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's sad but very true. The only thing that saddens me more is how content everyone is with crap books, games, movies, & t.v. shows. *shrugs*:urg:
Which is why Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

And I can't believe the Could VS. Sephiroth argument is still going after all these years. I know jack **** about competitive Dissidia, but if you want to answer to that question go watch Advent Children. Boom, argument over.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Which is why Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

And I can't believe the Could VS. Sephiroth argument is still going after all these years. I know jack **** about competitive Dissidia, but if you want to answer to that question go watch Advent Children. Boom, argument over.
lol. Avatar....I can see how that movie became so big but minus all the hype it's just an ok film.

As for Advent Children settling the fight...it's like saying if you wanna know who wins Sylvester Stallone or dolph lundgren go watch rocky 4. Boom, argument over.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Smooth Criminal
was that really necessary? It's an ok film. Minus the hype. It's visually stunning and really gets you into a world beyond this one. Aside from that it is very typical. In fact it's nearly a complete rip off of Pocahontas.

finalark

SNORLAX
This reminds me why I almost lost track of liking FFVII. The fans...
I was a VII hater for a long time because of its fans.

was that really necessary? It's an ok film. Minus the hype. It's visually stunning and really gets you into a world beyond this one. Aside from that it is very typical. In fact it's nearly a complete rip off of Pocahontas.
And Fergully. And Last Samurai. And Atlantis. And about fifty other movies.

God Avatar was such a mediocre pile of bull****.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So some FFXIV Updates on Tuesday

-Chocobos,
-Fixing Stats, etc
-Fixing the leve quests
-Fixing the arrow keys being bound
-Repair system being fixed heavily
-New Content(forget what)

This is another golden update ;)

An update on what I've done

-23 Lancer, 15 Miner, 15 Goldsmith. If anyone plays ever, I'm on Selbina.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What do you do in FFXIV? I'd like to hear from you a solid description of the gameplay.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well it's an mmo, I could've sworn you told me you hate online games. You have to understand it's story, first.

It was released last year in quote "Beta". Which was a horrible Beta, like Alpha or something. It then went on to sub. fees, and failed miserably. SE fired the director, hired an amazing guy (or appointed someone, idk), and it went back to being a free beta.

So what I'm saying is, it's in Beta right now, meaning it isn't fleshed out.

What I do:

-Craft (Mine, Synth, etc)
-Level a job. soloing most until 18+, but then in groups of 6~8.
-Do quests, story quests, explore.

I have to say, the world is beautiful XD. Sometimes just going out to see lv99 monsters that can do 4k+ and are impossible to kill atm is amazing. :3

To be a tad more... in depth:

-Quests are quests, kinda...yeah

-Leve Quests are level quests you do 8 each for melee classes/harvest classes and 8 for crafting classes. They are usually grinding quests. Kill X things, get a bunch of xp. These are mindless, yes, but their meant to help you level, nothing more.

-Jobs work like this:

War Classes - Melee, mage, tanks, the classes that kill stuff
Hand - Field things like Miner, Boatanist, and Fisherman. You find nodes on the map and react to them with minigames that give you items/xp.
Crafts - Alchemy, cooking, etc. Create items.. kinda, y'know crafting?

You change jobs by equipping weapons, so it's encouraged to be several different classes. Infact, for synthing, it's a requirement.

Sorry if this is all over the place, very tired XD.

finalark

SNORLAX
For anyone who cares, I plan on joining Ryu once my WoW subscription expires at the end of the month.

From what I've read its like FF V in the sense that you can freely switch classes then use skills acquired in those classes in combination with your current class.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
For anyone who cares, I plan on joining Ryu once my WoW subscription expires at the end of the month.

From what I've read its like FF V in the sense that you can freely switch classes then use skills acquired in those classes in combination with your current class.
Selbina, for the love of god go to Selbina.

The last part is true, but I'm pretty sure it's being removed. Quite frankly it's OP in a few cases and useless in others.

Example: Doomspike is amazing for Lancer, it's a pierce attack. You'd think it'd be amazing for everyone, but no one else but Lancer does good with it. Why? No one else focuses on Pierce.

Then there are op setups that Archer can do with other classes, etc, that hurt the game. It needs to be removed imo.

Another thing is you can wear ANY piece of armor at any level. The catch is if you're not the right job, level, etc, it won't give the stat bonuses, it'll tear easy and need to be repaired, etc.

It is important to note you don't have to be the exact level. Lv23 using a 25 lance is fine, heck lv20 and 28 can work but it's hard.

Jiveturkey

Smash Cadet
I played ffxi for roughly five years, but ffxiv didn't cut it for me. I haven't played since release, but they had alot of MAJOR issues that needed to be fixed when I got of. Biggest thing being the UI and the menu lag. I'll probably look into it again during ps3 release because that was when it was supposed to have everything fixed.

:phone:

•Col•

Smash Champion
So I guess FFXIII-2 takes place in some sort of alternate universe where
Lightning sacrificed herself along with Fang and Vanille to prevent Cocoon from crashing into Pulse at the end of FFXIII
? Or maybe since time travel has been confirmed in the game, it was the work of the Time Haters? Whatever, at least Hope looks more badass.
Nah, it takes place like 2-3 years after FFXIII. There's a short written story posted up somewhere online (canon) that takes place DIRECTLY after the ending of the first game... If you want the gist of it...
Lightning decides to run off on her own to try to find a way to save Fang/Vanille... Which ends up with her being swallowed into some mysterious void or something.

FFXIII-2's story is Serah going out to look for Lightning.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh right, I remember now, it was like an audio drama or something that never got localized.

Well whatever.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There's a lot of Norse Mythology in the FFXIII universe. Following Ragnarok, Lightning essentially becomes a valkerie in service of Odin and the alternate dimensional city of Valhalla, which houses the Goddess Etro—the goddess of death. Valkeries carry those who've died in battle to Valhalla, hence Lightning's purpose.

I really enjoy the concept of 'gods' in the FFXIII universe.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What's up with the faux-Maria Carey music? And why is the dubbing so poor?

finalark

SNORLAX
Three things:

1: I hope the voice acting is better in the final product.
2: WTF is up with the music?
3: HOLY **** HOPE HAS BALLS NOW.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know. TBH, FFXIII's voice acting wasn't too far off from this one.
It's just that since this trailer didn't have any of the lips synced, so it made it even worse.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
DLC is not mandatory.

Get over it.

(Or preorder from Amazon so you don't have to pay extra for it).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XIV update is today. The loadstone has all the specifics, but it's a major overhaul on the game ^^

Top Bottom