• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
Well its nice to see that FF is at least trying to get the "forty hour movie" label off of itself. Its not exactly new (a good amount of modern games have done something similar) but its a good step forward.

O_J

Smash Rookie
Umm, I really don't think they're stepping away from being as cutscene heavy as they were before. Interactive cutscenes are still cutscenes.

finalark

SNORLAX

Spire

III
BRoomer
I totally support the aesthetic change. It seemed as if they wanted the most realistic modern-styled FF, so the desaturated look works. Noctis looks less like an anime character now, which I'm way cool with.

finalark

SNORLAX
Noctis looks less like an anime character now, which I'm way cool with.
I second this. He looks less like a generic anime dude and more like a guy having a bad hair day. I think this new stylization really helps the modern and more realistic setting that Versus is going with.

Now only if Square would stop announcing games without intending to release them by the end of the following year.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I personally think it looks worse, graphically. The recent one does portray a more "realistic" look on the hair though.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I believe final fantasy 4 is the best. :D
lol stumbled on this thread by accident and i do agree sir, *****es dont know about kains lance.

my personal rankings
final fantasy:
4. 10. 3. 5 . 9 . 1. 7 ( overated). 2. 6. 8( idk) . and havent played the others.

shoutout to ff tactics, my personal favorite. i wish there was an online mode for this

NTA

Smash Lord
The last Final Fantasy game I played were Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. I really liked both of them and I"m hoping to play Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift someday. The only thing I didn't like about them is the end of the game and starting me off from where I last saved. They're still epic games to me though.

finalark

SNORLAX
FF XIV patch today. A few changes for all two of you who play:

- A ton of new content such as new towns, raids and quests.
- Reworking the battle system to add auto attack,
(XIV seriously didn't have this?)
having to mash a command to attack has been removed
(no, seriously, they didn't have auto attack? That has been a staple in MMORPGs since '04 when WoW showed us how awesome it is. Jesus, Square, I knew you were behind the times but this is a new low. At least you finally pulled your heads out of your ***** and added it)
, the removal of the stamina bar, the addition to showing the cool down timer
(holy **** they didn't show you the cool down timer on your abilities? Square really does think that its still 2002)
and reworking the way agro works.
- Numerous spells and abilities have been rebalanced.
- The interface has been improved
- A number of bugs have been addressed

This sounds like a massive anti-suck patch. If my guess is correct, this patch will turn FFXIV into a god-awful MMO that's trapped in 2002 into an underwhelmingly average MMO from 2006.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I see potential in 14, tbqh. It has a chance if it gets its **** straight.

Matt07

Smash Master
Just beat FF7 today, woohoo! SaferSephiroth wasn't too bad, he kept using Pale Horse on Cloud a lot, and since I didnt have a Ribbon on anyone...it wasn't good xD. BizzaroSephiroth took longer 'cuz I had no clue what to do.

Now I'll probably replay it later, this time gonna get a lot of the things I missed (Materia, and didn't get Vincet, or Yuffie xD.) And beat the other Weapons lol.

:phone:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
About a month from now I'll be playing 14. Couple months from now my gf will play with me at the same time. :s

finalark

SNORLAX
(What's a double post?)

So 1 1Up's first impressions of Type-0 are out. Apparently, they like the game play and the darker and more mature themes in the game. Time will tell if these theme are actually mature as in they cover adult subjects or if they're a 12-year-old's idea of "mature" with blood and violence everywhere.

You can read it in detail here: http://www.1up.com/previews/final-fantasy-type-0-dark-violent

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No, I think that was just someone with silver hair who looked like Hope. Probably that girl who was mourning at that gravestone who Serah was talking to later in the trailer.

But yeah, the dialogue makes me wonder if it was just as bad in the original Japanese or if the translators decided to make it that bad.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
No, I think that was just someone with silver hair who looked like Hope. Probably that girl who was mourning at that gravestone who Serah was talking to later in the trailer.

But yeah, the dialogue makes me wonder if it was just as bad in the original Japanese or if the translators decided to make it that bad.
Well, this is the picture. It looks like Hope. http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=153261|0

And yeah, I really think the dialogue might actually be that bad in the original. Kind of annoying how the cutscenes in this game look nice but the dialogue is like it's meant for an anime.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh, that. I never saw that. I thought you were talking about the person who Serah tripped over during that fight scene because she's the new annoying, ditzy, borderline ******** character lovably quirky. That's definitely Hope in the picture you posted though, and it does give me some ho-- er, make me optimistic for how the game will turn out since Hope was one of the characters I actually liked.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "dialogue meant for an anime" because a.) I think it's pretty obvious that Square is taking a ton of graphics/art style/storyline/dialogue cues from anime, and b.) that's kind of like saying that since the dialogue is bad it must be for an anime, which is not necessarily true. I've seen plenty of anime and I admit there is a ton of it that's poorly written, translated, or dubbed, but there are plenty of shining examples of when it's well written and acted and it's great because of it. Even games that have a heavy anime influence in their writing and dialogue like Valkyria Chronicles can often pull it off well.

FFXIII-2's dialogue problem so far isn't that it's written for an anime, it's that it just generally sucks. The very beginning of the trailer made me want to turn the sound off as soon as I heard the most melodramatic line Lightning has ever said. Seriously, there are lines in that trailer that are along the same caliber as "People die when they are killed" and "fun things are fun".

In fact, Lightning's severely decreased role in this is another thing I don't like. I mean we see that she's playable at points which is all well and good, but the reality of it means that we're just going to be occasionally switching to playing as her for a couple of chapters very briefly before we go back to playing as her much less awesome sister, like they did throughout FFXIII or more accurately how you'd occasionally play as Delita in FFT. Lightning was awesome in FFXIII. She didn't have as much character growth as Sazh or Hope, but at least she had some unlike Snow or Vanille (Fang I can forgive for not having character growth since she was only in the second half of the game). Admittedly, it was pretty obvious that Lightning was (and forgive me for being a weeaboo here) tsundere and that her character growth was going to consist of her opening up to people and being more accepting of Snow as her brother-in-law and so on, but it was still well done and she became a sympathetic character as well as a badass, which is more than can be said of a lot of modern game protagonists.

Instead Lightning seems to be getting shoved aside by being trapped in the Phantom Zone for the duration of the game while her sister, who even fans of FFXIII BARELY know, is running around with Snow's old Special Olympics team who were by far the worst characters in FFXIII. It's like Square knows exactly what fans want and they tease us with it and then pull it away, but considering they made a PS3 tech demo of FFVII back in like 2006 and never mentioned it again they've probably been doing that for years.

And where the hell is FFvsXIII? This is starting to be like some Duke Nukem ****. I know that making two Dissidias and some Kingdom Hearts spinoffs has made Tetsuya Nomura and his development team busy, but they could at least give us something besides a trailer that has all the same clips from the previous trailers but it's edited differently and has maybe a split second of gameplay.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I get what you mean. When I meant dialogue for an anime, I mean the intentionally corny ones (since there are lots of high quality ones too). It just feels like the dialogue is out of place and could've been done better. This is what I thought for XIII also.

And I do hope that we'll be seeing more Lightning despite what the trailers imply. I liked her character and they could've done more with her in XIII.

And speaking of which, I still need to pick up a copy of Valkyria Chronicles. I've always wanted to get that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Talk about counting your chickens...

I really hope they release FFVI on Wii Virtual Console soon. I feel like if they don't within the next 6-10 months then they never will since the WiiU will be coming out next fall and Nintendo will drop all support of their old consoles like they always do. It's already out in Japan, so hopefully it'll be released soon.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Im thinking of buying FF XIV for pc... It looks fun but has a billion bad reviews, and a few good ones saying its getting better, advice? (BTW i tend to like RPGs that suck O.o)

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Yeah... my mom is EXTREMLeY picky about what i play... and those wouldnt meet her standards x_x (just 3 years and i can move out of the house DX)

Top Bottom