• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
All I can remember from BoF2 was the lulzy translation.

Is it weird that I'm really enjoying ff12? Hadn't played it until recently, almost finished it. I know it's kind of a black sheep in the series, but having so much freedom and so much to explore is so nice after 13. Almost as if you start in Gran Pulse instead of going through 25 hours of tutorials first.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
All I can remember from BoF2 was the lulzy translation.

Is it weird that I'm really enjoying ff12? Hadn't played it until recently, almost finished it. I know it's kind of a black sheep in the series, but having so much freedom and so much to explore is so nice after 13. Almost as if you start in Gran Pulse instead of going through 25 hours of tutorials first.
I don't think that's weird. While FFXII had weak characters and a weak story, the freedom and exploration was great.
I might replay it again sometime since I didn't have the chance to explore everywhere yet.
I really like VIII. Mostly because Junction is stupidly broken.

It's nice. :3c
I agree. It's fun having like 4000 HP and constantly doing Limit Breaks only a couple hours in. XD

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, I spent 7 freaking years looking for that thing and it cost me Saga Frontier 2, BOF 3-4, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and 2 other games, and I've never once regretted it.

As for FFIX, how do you guys feel it measures up overall to FFVI, VII, VIII, or X?
I love IX. To me it is second to VII and miles ahead of both X and VIII. I like it more than VI, but I haven't given VI a fair chance yet.

Matt07

Smash Master
FFVIII was the first Final Fantasy I played, and I really enjoyed it waaaaay back. I'm more than likely gonna end up buying it soon on the PSN.

D

Deleted member

I enjoyed IX. The graphics looked really nice, and Vivi just kicked *** in general. Unfortunately, that gay monkeyboy Zidane had to be in the lead role.

teva

Smash Cadet
I enjoyed IX. The graphics looked really nice, and Vivi just kicked *** in general. Unfortunately, that gay monkeyboy Zidane had to be in the lead role.
How dare you insult Zidane like that! He is like my second favorite lead character ever. =)

finalark

SNORLAX
I rather enjoyed Zidane's upbeat personality and womanizing antics compared to Cloud's ****ishness and stoicism (until later in the game, of course) and Squall's sheer indifference towards everyone and everything.

No, FFXII is awesome.

teva

Smash Cadet
I've wanted to play FF12 recently but when i turned on my PS2 it no longer worked =(

I'll have to buy a ps3 to play or wait for something in the future... However, I heard that ps3 you can't play ps2 games with? Is that true?

D

Deleted member

Only the old PS3's can play PS2 games. You'll have to get it used if you want PS2 playback. Or you could just buy a PS2. They're like 80 bucks now or something.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You can find them for about fifty in Canada, so I imagine even cheaper if you live in the US. I guess finding memory cards for them can be a bit of a pain though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sad story: I put 280 hours into XII. I had Danjuro, and Yiazmat was a joke. 100% file to say the least. Accidently turned off during save=Corrupted file.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You can find them for about fifty in Canada, so I imagine even cheaper if you live in the US. I guess finding memory cards for them can be a bit of a pain though.
Yeah, I hear that, even though I've got the latter edition 80gig version. Fortunately, I have my PS2 hooked up right next to my PS3 (and my PSX just needed a cord plugged in to be workable in case I want to gameshark some PSX games), so playing PS2/PS1 games is a matter of like....a foot.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, I hear that, even though I've got the latter edition 80gig version. Fortunately, I have my PS2 hooked up right next to my PS3 (and my PSX just needed a cord plugged in to be workable in case I want to gameshark some PSX games), so playing PS2/PS1 games is a matter of like....a foot.
Fair enough. I have a phat PS3 with backwards compatibility, so my PS2 is tucked away on my shelf. Don't really need it unless I want to play stuff like Melty Blood. :3c

D

Deleted member

I played a PS1 game on my Slim and it saved it without any kind of adapter. Not sure about phat PS3s or PS2 games.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Slim ps3's play ps1 games, just not ps2. They removed that driver to make it run better or something.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
They are fools. FOOLS I SAY. Why the hell keep the PS1 one and take out the PS2 one? That's the most counter-productive move I've ever known.

That's like if Wii games took away support for GameCube titles but supported N64 somehow instead. I know PS1, PS2, and PS3 are disc-based, but come on. Seriously?

I wanted to play Tales of the Abyss on my PS3... Alas. I still have my PS2, but playing it all on the big TV would be awesome.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It effectively cut the price by almost half by removing backwards compatibility. I seriously paid almost $600CDN for my phat PS3, and that was just before they announced that they weren't making backwards compatible PS3s anymore.

It wasn't a bad business move on Sony's part.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I already know you can save the games on it's hard drive. I was wondering if you could transfer saves from your old save files.
There's an adaptor that they used to sell where it's a USB that allows you to put in your PS1/PS2 memory cards.
It'll transfer your saves onto the PS3 instead of run them from the actual memory card.
They are fools. FOOLS I SAY. Why the hell keep the PS1 one and take out the PS2 one? That's the most counter-productive move I've ever known.
The PS1 BC isn't hardware BC, it's emulated. As for why they didn't want to go for PS2 emulation as well, I'm not sure. It's probably because it would've been glitchy. Kind of like how older PSP firmware would freeze on some PS1 classics.

finalark

SNORLAX
It effectively cut the price by almost half by removing backwards compatibility. I seriously paid almost $600CDN for my phat PS3, and that was just before they announced that they weren't making backwards compatible PS3s anymore.

It wasn't a bad business move on Sony's part.
Honestly, if cutting out PS2 compatibility made the PS3 less expensive then I say that I'm okay with Sony taking it out. If you still want to play PS2 games you can go down to Walmart and get one for dirt cheap.

The PS1 BC isn't hardware BC, it's emulated. As for why they didn't want to go for PS2 emulation as well, I'm not sure. It's probably because it would've been glitchy. Kind of like how older PSP firmware would freeze on some PS1 classics.
I have a friend with an older PS3 that has backwards compatibility with PS2 games. I can confirm that yes, it is glitchy as **** (try to initiate a local multiplayer match in Ratchet and Clank, I dare you).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm glad I have the old old PS3 with hardware backwards compatibility with PS3 games, the one only 20 and 60 GB have.
The only problem is that the PS3 fan is kind of loud.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Damn, this reminds me of that whole PSX/PS2 era FF/Chrono Cross video I was working on but because of all the synching can never pick up again after getting to the 75 second mark...of a 7 minute song, haha.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Watching that just made me want a FF8 movie done in the style of AC. FF8 was one of the largest games ever for its time, even surpassing FF7 in sales and ratings. I really think they could expand upon its universe, though if a movie were to come from any other game in the series, FF4 would definitely be the winner. They've already created super hi-res character models, so make a freaking movie!

Though personally, if any FF game were to be made into a movie, I would want none other than the original Final Fantasy. It would yield just the right amount of room for a screenwrite to create characters using the Warrior, Monk, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, and Red Mage classes as starting points, similar to the creation of new protagonists for the DS remake of FFIII. Garland is already a total badass and to see him on-screen as he appears in Dissidia (or even better, as this: http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/6/67/The_Cloudsea_Djinn.jpg) would be stunning. Then to weave in Bahamut, Lich, Marilith, Kraken, Tiamat, and Chaos, along with the elemental crystals. That's just straight up Final ****ing Fantasy right there.

Top Bottom