• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
The only characterization that I can say that KH screwed up was Cloud's. The other characters I felt they portrayed pretty well, although I thought that they made Squall too likable. :troll:

But in all seriousness, I really didn't like the way Vivi was portrayed in KH2.

Sim

Smash Apprentice
So my dad asked today, concerning Lightning, "Wow she's so hot where is she from?". My Life Is Average.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yes, Tetsuya Nomura, he's been the main character designer since VII (but not IX or XII) and has worked with Square since IV.

This guy must be the devil that will bring about the distruction of Final Fantasy as we know it.

:3
Final Fantasy to me is FFI-FFVI. Sakaguchi/Amano/Uematsu, that is Final Fantasy. FF7, 8, and 9 are among my favorites in the series only because I played them first when I was young. I respect the classic six so much more. So, so, so much more.

Yo****aka Amano is one of my top favorite artists of all time. What he's done outside of Final Fantasy is even more fantastic. The fact that largely everything about the first six Final Fantasies was developed and based upon Amano's slew of concept art. Sakaguchi gave him guidelines, then he went to work illustrating them in such fantastical ways. FF7 doesn't really have the Nomura feel for it. In the characters yes. In the progression of the game and how it follows the formula of FF6? That makes it classic. They went for a somewhat real-world setting, and yet you still fight these ridiculous monsters that plague the entire planet. FF7 was so imaginative, though more subtly than its predecessors. Everything FF7-expanded that Nomura has directed has just been about style, clothing, over-expressive behavior and all. He's just a ****ing fashion designer; his art has no soul. It's graphical. Amano's art is full of emotion, energy, and movement. It captures the true nature of fantasy. His art is so dreamlike as Final Fantasy artwork should be. FF8 is when it really started to deviate.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I do agree that Amano's art is better suited for Final Fantasy, but it seems unfair to blame Nomura for the downfall of FF when he didn't have much to do with XIII hasn't had much influence in the main games.

I haven't played KH but I don't see a problem with anyone acting out of character. It's not like this is the same Cloud from FFVII so liberties can be taken, it will never effect Cloud in FFVII.

As for Nomura's art, I've enjoyed some of it. Not so much for most of the main characters but for stuff TWEWY and Dissidia. Amano is best for FF and I don't really think there's any arguing on that, but I don't think not having Amano will ruin a game.

Hell, neither of them worked on the art of my favorite Square game, but Akira Toriyama wouldn't really fit with FF.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Kingdom Hearts isn't bad. KH2 is "okay" Anything after that seems like Cash Product though. **** Roxas.

finalark

SNORLAX
I do agree that Amano's art is better, but Nomura just designs the characters. It's not like he's responsible for the over all quality of the games.

And I find it kind of funny that you consider FFI-VI to be more respectable despite openly disliking V.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I enjoy KH quite a bit (although it's going downhill). Still haven't bought BBS though.
While I like hating on Nomura, he isn't too bad (besides that one picture of him). His art style's pretty cool, but I think that Amano fits the classic Fantasy aspect of FF much better. Nomura's designs for XIII were pretty good though, imo.

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as KH goes, I thought the first game was really fun and was filled with charm but kind of suffered from a repetitious battle system and pretty unexciting Gummi ship segments.

KH2 then improved game play 100% but sacrificed Disney charm for melodramatic animu BS.

The spin-offs tend to be forgettable cash-ins IMO.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
Gah, if only I had any friends with a PSP :(

Keeping 2D is awesome, although it'll probably lose a whole lot of nostalgia of the old graphics. maybe awesome spell animation can make up for it :|

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Today's US PSN Update:

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim]Final Fantasy – FFIV BGM Pack [3 Tracks] ($0.99)
3 BGM tracks selected from FINAL FANTASY IV.
File size: 2.9 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim]Final Fantasy – FFXIII BGM Pack [5 Tracks ($0.99)
5 BGM tracks selected from FINAL FANTASY XIII. Includes the Japanese-language version of “Chocobos of Cocoon”.
File size: 10 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim]Final Fantasy – FF BGM Pack [5 Tracks] ($0.99)
5 BGM tracks selected from FINAL FANTASY.
File size: 2.1 MB

--

It begins, guys. We're getting our DLC!!

[EDIT]

Better yet, it's cheap too! At least, imo.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
^ that is awesome but I hate how people always make Kefka out to be this fairy looking androgynous clown

also that's not how I always pictures Celes in my head haha

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah FF6 was the best. I too hate that look they give Kefka. Most people don't realize that he's actually a mastermind who chose the path of a court mage (hence the look) to usurp the emperor and take over the world. He's not dainty at all. He's a savage killer with a sense of humor that does not undermine his seriousness (lol Joker). He's not some clumsy clown who tosses his juggling balls around and happens to destroy everything in the process. While some unprecedented things occur, he's distinctly planning most of it out. He sought out godhood and he got it. Not exactly an easy feat to accomplish.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Borrowed Crisis Core from a friend a few weeks back, just beat it yesterday.

Last boss was weak, cool looking but weak. Ending was super sad, but of course the best characters always die.

I plan on playing through all the Final Fantasys again, I'm currently playing I + II Dawn of Souls. I to be specific.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So it's cheaper than JP? I can only hope it's the same for everything else.
Give or take, 300 yen is generically around $3, with the sporadic changes in the economy and currency exchanges.

When I was in Japan, I bought a sword for 10,000 yen. It converted to around $100 here. Don't know what the exchange rate is now but there's a general idea.

Everywhere else is cheap like this too. So it's good.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
FFI was where I stopped, personally. Characters died too easily and it was too hard to revive them and build up Gil and EXP and whatever. Then again that may be because I was playing the very original 8-Bit one. But either way. lol

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
FFI was where I stopped, personally. Characters died too easily and it was too hard to revive them and build up Gil and EXP and whatever. Then again that may be because I was playing the very original 8-Bit one. But either way. lol
FF1 on NES was epic-broken.

finalark

SNORLAX
FF1 on NES was epic-broken.
NES FF1 had more bugs than a landfill. The newest installments tend to be easier with the only real challenge figuring out where to go next with only vague hints to guide you.

Pssssssh.

I don't plan on stopping. I wooooooooon't. I do need to get my hands on a copy of X though.
Yeah, then you have to endure broken leveling, un-fun game play, poor game design and generally ****ty-ness.

I don't remember where this is from, but I once read a quote that went, "In Final Fantasy II there are two battles. The battle between Firion and the Empire and between FFII and YOU, the player."

EDIT: Found the quote on TV Tropes, lulz:

"Final Fantasy II will do everything in its power to beat you down. And when I write "you," I am not referring to Frioniel's party. I am referring to you, the player. Final Fantasy II is a pair of simultaneous battles on two separate planes. The first is the fictional struggle of Frioniel and the rebel forces against the might of the Paramekian Empire. The second is the very real battle between you, the player, and Final Fantasy II, in which the game attempts to foil your efforts and demoralize you from ever playing again. As you try to beat Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy II tries to beat you."

Matt07

Smash Master
FF2 was very difficult for me first time through (I didn't do the training method of attacking my characters), especially Dawn of Souls, that took me a long time to beat. I would have to say FF3 DS is the most difficult out of them all. I played the game for a bit, and dropped it for a few months to pick it up again. That game kicked my ***, lol.

@Finalark give that game a chance, haha. It ain't all that bad ;). You guys know how much I like FF2 lol. I would say that out of all of them FF7 is my favourite one out of them all.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Woooooooooooooow at The Emperor and Onion Knight's DLC costumes. Those are THE BEST.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So I just recently picked up Dissidia 012, do people do Ad-hoc games through here when PSN isn't crappin' the bed?

Top Bottom