• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

D

Deleted member

That article was a good read. If I had all the games, I'd gladly go through them all again (minus II and the MMOs). The thing I like best about the series is that it's always changing. If the next game's a dud, we always have the next to look forward to.

finalark

SNORLAX
The thing I like best about the series is that it's always changing.
I agree, each game has it's own game play, world, characters and themes meaning that we get all sorts of different people who enjoy certain installments for many different reasons.

Actually, this is probably why opinions are so varied across the fanbase. Oh well, I'm okay with it. It keeps the franchise from getting stale by keeping things fresh.

Saux

Smash Apprentice
is it just me, or do alot of fans complain when they change things.... but then they also complain when they dont change things?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'll admit, I bashed FFXIII so much upon release for being so linear, but then when I actually played it...

I really liked it's story. Really I've never had a problem with a main roman numeral FF except for 8. I can't stand Squall, :3

Spire

III
BRoomer
XIII's story is somewhat significant to the current condition of humanity. Granted it's not life-changing, but it does reflect what's going on politically in various parts of the world.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah... I just liked the sacrifice at the end. It's something we all could learn from to be honest. I also really loved X as well.

D

Deleted member

I made an attempt to buy FFX-2 at the local game store. After asking them to inform me when it came in back on the 20th of April, I went over. A half hour of searching later, the owner concluded he didn't have it after all.

Yeah... Where the hell can I find this game?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Between FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFV, FFVI, FFVIII, and FFIX, which would you like Square to expand upon the most and why?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
VI. Partly because it's my favourite, and partly because it has so many characters. There's a lot of material to work with, and I would like to know more about them.

D

Deleted member

Since you don't have VII or X, I'll say VI. It was the only one of the Nintendo Final Fantasies I enjoyed, Kefka was an epic villain, and Terra is one of my top protagonists in the series to date.

Second place would go to IX, as I feel it was unappreciated and totally overshadowed by FFX.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think FFVI is perhaps the most dynamic in terms of background information. Every character could be seen as a main character.

I think VI could be expanded into a whole series larger than the FFIV collection, the FFVII compilation, the Ivalice Alliance, and whatever they're doing with FFXIII.

****, FFVI should be made into two films. I'm a huge advocate of video-game based movies in that I believe it can be done right. FFVI could (and should) be made into two films: before ruin and world of ruin. Kefka could channel the Joker's on screen theatricality (that so many are familiar with) in totally new context. All of the characters are important, so it would make for a great character-driven film(s) versus the existentiality of other Final Fantasies.

Hypothetically speaking, as of right now if I was given the opportunity to direct as many Final Fantasy films as I wanted, I would make:
  • Final Fantasy (based on FFI but with revisions and the addition of elements from across the series—like Chocobos)
  • Final Fantasy II (sequel to FFI involving the rise of Emperor Mateus)
  • Final Fantasy III (sequel to FFII involving Xande, Cloud of Darkness, and the return and defeat of Chaos)
  • Final Fantasy IV (as close to the story as possible)
  • Final Fantasy V (Gilgamesh is protagonist; story of him seeking the most powerful weapons in the world only to fall victim to the void at the end of the movie; no real closure to the film, rather somber actually)
  • Final Fantasy VI (first half)
  • Final Fantasy VI: World of Ruin (second half)
  • Final Fantasy VII (mainly based in Midgar)
  • Final Fantasy VII: Meteor (based around the party searching for Sephiroth)
  • Final Fantasy VIII (the love triangle movie that the game was trying to be; **** Ultimecia, Edea and Seifer are the antagonists)
  • Final Fantasy IX: Gaia (animated movie)
  • Final Fantasy IX: Terra (animated movie)

Or just a trilogy:
  • Final Fantasy (Garland captures Princess Sarah, prompting Cosmos to summon the Warriors of Light to defeat and save her... to prevent Mateus from rising to power.)
  • Final Fantasy II (Gilgamesh is introduced as a folly to the Warriors of Light, eventually joining them to defeat the Four Fiends in pursuit of ancient powers to revive his people; Mateus ascends to the throne as Emperor)
  • Final Fantasy III (Mateus' right hand man Xande tries to manipulate the void, but the Cloud of Darkness (a part of Chaos)

...something something not done with these ideas, gotta go to work.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I think FFVI is perhaps the most dynamic in terms of background information. Every character could be seen as a main character.

I think VI could be expanded into a whole series larger than the FFIV collection, the FFVII compilation, the Ivalice Alliance, and whatever they're doing with FFXIII.

****, FFVI should be made into two films. I'm a huge advocate of video-game based movies in that I believe it can be done right. FFVI could (and should) be made into two films: before ruin and world of ruin. Kefka could channel the Joker's on screen theatricality (that so many are familiar with) in totally new context. All of the characters are important, so it would make for a great character-driven film(s) versus the existentiality of other Final Fantasies.
Freaky, we must be on exactly the same wavelength because this is exactly what I have been thinking the past few days

I also think it could work - There are ample opportunities in the game for you to skip parts (like, the section from Arvis telling Locke to rescue Terra to meeting the Returners could be skipped through the dialogue' but it'd still have to be a pretty long film to get everything in. WoR section would be pretty tricky considering all the optional stuff that can be done. IIRC, the TAS of the game is like, 4-5 hours and that's with all the dialogue and optional chacters in the WoR being skipped out...imagine trying to cram that all in a film lol

It would be extremely epic though...one can dream. IMO though 4 would be the easiest to make into a flim

Although that isn't saying much since not only are the games being very long, the combat system of Final Fantasy in general is not very well suited to combat in films

Spire

III
BRoomer
Lol in no way would we see battles where a team lines up against a line of enemies to take turn attacking eachother. FFVII:AC showed how combat in-film can break that mold, so it's rather simple really.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Basically I think FFI, II, and III should be merged into a trilogy of films. Each game is not strong enough to stand on its own in the film format, but mix and match elements from each and you've got a solid story with solid characters. Also, Firion would be the main protagonist. Not only was his original sprite the same as Warrior from FFI, but he is technically the first named protagonist in the series.

Also Gilgamesh just needs to be in there, period.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I made an attempt to buy FFX-2 at the local game store. After asking them to inform me when it came in back on the 20th of April, I went over. A half hour of searching later, the owner concluded he didn't have it after all.

Yeah... Where the hell can I find this game?
Try GameTZ.com (Game Trading Zone). It's an awesome place, that REALLY helps and is awesome for buying, selling, and trading games. It also does systems, gaming accessories, DL codes, and other miscellaneous things like cds, dvds, and books.

D

Deleted member

YES! After a marathon play session, I just Omnislash'd Sephiroth's emo ***! I lost to him like 4 times, but it was worth it.

By the way, what the hell's with the ending? Did Cloud and crew save the world or not?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
YES! After a marathon play session, I just Omnislash'd Sephiroth's emo ***! I lost to him like 4 times, but it was worth it.

By the way, what the hell's with the ending? Did Cloud and crew save the world or not?
Clearly somebody doesn't know anything about the Compilation that expands on the story in general. :awesome:

Ultimately, yes, Cloud and the others saved the world. But it came at a terrible price. Meteor was stopped, but not before all of Midgar was left in ruin. It's completely inhabitable which is why Edge was built on the outskirts of it shortly afterwards.

D

Deleted member

Considering VII was the last game I had to beat (besides II, it's just too awful). I can now say for certain that VI and X were my favorites. VII was good and all but it's aged horribly.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Graphics-wise? ....yyyyyyeah... Actually, I got a proposal for you.

Step into a time machine and then play FFVII on the PSP instead. For some reason playing it on a handheld and indulging yourself with the graphics on that makes it that much better imo. Playing it on a big screen just...idk. XD It was good for me in the earlier days, but I can agree that on a graphical note? It did age pretty badly.

Though admittedly, I find a certain charm in the way that it was made.

D

Deleted member

I'm on a 19 inch screen, so I'd assume it looks fairly good compared to a 55 incher or something. I usually don't care about graphics in games, but it's hard to feel deep emotion for the characters when there's no voice acting and the character models look like a bunch of fused triangles.

It needs a remake really badly, we all know it'd sell like hotcakes.

finalark

SNORLAX
It needs a remake really badly, we all know it'd sell like hotcakes.
I second this. The ENTIRETY of the PS1 cycle has aged horribly, and they all need to be remade (oh, and VIII need's a spin-off that follows the adventures of Laguna and friends in detail).

And I'm just gonna say that my first time through VII I actually thought that the game had a downer ending and despite their victory again Jenova and Sephiroth they failed to save the world. I actually think I prefer this interpretation of the ending over the random fanservice orgy of AC. I feel that it fits the rather dark tone and the deconstruction of pre-VII JRPG stories instead.

D

Deleted member

It would've been cool if it would've ended on a sad note. I thought FFX was going to pull it off with Tidus fading away and whatnot, but they just couldn't do it I guess. Seems like Final Fantasy heroes just can't die (minus Aeris of course).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Um.... they kinda did, didn't they? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tidus fade away because he was part of the spirits lost from Sin a long time ago?

D

Deleted member

He comes back at the end of X-2 if you get a large percent of the game done. Or so I've heard.

finalark

SNORLAX
He comes back at the end of X-2 if you get a large percent of the game done. Or so I've heard.
Basically. I've never played X-2, mostly because they decided that the dark tone and themes of authority corruption needed to be replaced with JPop and skimpy clothes.

D

Deleted member

Don't be hatin' on the fanservice! That's the only thing X-2 had going for it!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I second this. The ENTIRETY of the PS1 cycle has aged horribly, and they all need to be remade
At first I thought the graphics aged badly on FFVII. I don't really think that way now for some odd reason.
And I'm just gonna say that my first time through VII I actually thought that the game had a downer ending and despite their victory again Jenova and Sephiroth they failed to save the world. I actually think I prefer this interpretation of the ending over the random fanservice orgy of AC. I feel that it fits the rather dark tone and the deconstruction of pre-VII JRPG stories instead.
Hm... I never saw the ending like that as a kid. The way I saw it, everything went well. It's just that Midgar became inhabitable.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hm... I never saw the ending like that as a kid. The way I saw it, everything went well. It's just that Midgar became inhabitable.
This.

At first I thought the graphics aged badly on FFVII. I don't really think that way now for some odd reason.
I don't mind the graphics. I actually still play many old games for the N64 and PS1. I don't really care for graphics as much as gameplay.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like the hokiness of VII's graphics. I'm replaying it now and at first it bugged me because it looked so much worse than I remembered...but a couple hours in and I've warmed up to it. It's just charming to me.

It's interesting to play it again. The last time I played it, I was no older than 13 or 14. Back then the story was the most incredible thing to ever be in a video game. It's pretty stupid though. The Temple of the Ancients part is pretty lame. The horrible translation doesn't help either. The whole Cait Sith sacrifice scene, was that supposed to be touching/emotional? He's a remote control doll. I thought it was hilarious that Cait Sith version 2 appeared in the middle of what was supposed to be a tense mysterious scene.

Top Bottom