• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Spire

III
BRoomer
X-2's battle system was basically the predecessor to XIII's. If XIII and X's battle systems had a baby, it'd be X-2.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I liked X-2. Whatever. I'm too lenient on games though. I'm not a harsh rater kinda guy.

D

Deleted member

Ugh. X-2 isn't my thing at all. It's like Charlie's Angels: The Game. The combat system's fine (should've been turn based like X though!), but I really hate the character's personalities and the plot in general.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh the plot is atrocious and the difficulty level is embarassing. I beat the game easily on my first playthrough without getting a game over. The final boss was cool in design, but in purpose? It's like, "why didn't Bevelle use Vegnagun against Sin, what the hell?"

And that Tidus clone. Worst cash-in attempt ever.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well I was like 12 when it came out, so I'm pretty sure I beat off to the game a lot, thus making it good.

Yuna was just too damn cute :3

Wrath`

Smash Master
I thought Brother was awesome, and a very creepy, but still hilarious. But I have learned it doesn't take much for a game to amuse me, which in turn lets me play more "bad" games as the general public would put it.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah i do have to say, X-2 and XII are the two Final Fantasy games that i remember being really disappointed right when i beat them. This was due to i accidentally beat both of them (trying to progress a little in the story line and it ended up being the end of the game and the bosses were so incredibly easy) so the final bosses were a major pushover.

With that said though i still enjoyed the games. Sure they aren't my favorite of the series, but enjoyed them none the less

D

Deleted member

Why does everyone overlook Brother hitting on Yuna? They're cousins for god's sake!

Spire

III
BRoomer
...I'm just gonna roll around laughing. I have never once cared about Versus XIII. I think it's the pinnacle of Nomura sucking enough **** at Square to do whatever he wants, and I think the guy has become the bane to the series. Circa FF7/8 he was cool, but post-FFX he started going way downhill aka KINGDOM HEARTS.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Iunno if Nomura was part of it, but I liked ...well I liked the mainstream numbers. XIII/XII were good. Kingdom Hearts is meh though.

They need to drop the ******** **** like Bahamut's Blood, Dragon Quest, MindJack(lmao?), Dungeon Siege(forgive me, I played II ages ago. It never seemed special..)

Drop the small stuff, focus on the rebirth of oldschool rpgs... Chrono Trigger :[

finalark

SNORLAX
Iunno if Nomura was part of it, but I liked ...well I liked the mainstream numbers. XIII/XII were good. Kingdom Hearts is meh though.

They need to drop the ******** **** like Bahamut's Blood, Dragon Quest, MindJack(lmao?), Dungeon Siege(forgive me, I played II ages ago. It never seemed special..)

Drop the small stuff, focus on the rebirth of oldschool rpgs... Chrono Trigger :[
Two things:

1: Don't go saying that Square needs to drop their "********" IPs, then say that they need to reboot their old franchises while listing Dragon Quest, one of their oldest franchises to date, as one they need to drop.

2: Complaints like this are why Square just continually releases new Final Fantasies that would work well as entirely new IPs without the FF name. Honestly, people ***** about them making nothing but FF but when they try to make new franchises they sell poorly.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Quick question. Can you transfer DLC and all that from one memory stick to another? Where I work there's 16GB ones on sale until the 17th so I just wanna make sure before that sale ends that when I buy a new one I can carry over my DLC like KH!Cloud and all for Dissidia 012.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Two things:

1: Don't go saying that Square needs to drop their "********" IPs, then say that they need to reboot their old franchises while listing Dragon Quest, one of their oldest franchises to date, as one they need to drop.

2: Complaints like this are why Square just continually releases new Final Fantasies that would work well as entirely new IPs without the FF name. Honestly, people ***** about them making nothing but FF but when they try to make new franchises they sell poorly.
This. QFT.
Square-Enix would probably do a terrible job on the next Chrono game unless people like Kato and Mitsuda come back just for that one game.
Otherwise, it isn't worth it, IMO. I don't want an entirely new team to touch that awesome series.
Quick question. Can you transfer DLC and all that from one memory stick to another? Where I work there's 16GB ones on sale until the 17th so I just wanna make sure before that sale ends that when I buy a new one I can carry over my DLC like KH!Cloud and all for Dissidia 012.
Yeah, you can. It'll work since you're going to be using it on the same PSN account/PSP.

D

Deleted member

I picked up Advent Children yesterday. I thought you guys said it would explain things?! I'm more confused than ever! Maybe I'm just bad at comprehending plots, but I found it really tough to follow.

Anyway, the CGI was amazing, and the voice acting wasn't too bad either.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I can't help but think that you're trolling me every time I look at your Rebecca Black avi, Godsmith. :\

Lol anyway, thanks for the heads up on that. I can upsize then ftw.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Two things:

What's so good about Dragon Quest though? I'm sorry, but games where the main character's name is hero... x_x.

I'm all for creating new IPs, I was just saying I miss old ones.

I actually didn't mean Blood of Bahamut (I've never played it), I just meant their hack-n-slash genre in general. SE fails at making Hack-n-slashes. (Drakengard/Nier are prime examples...)

Though it comes off as such, I'm never a fan of them just spitting out FFs and nothing else. I just wish the cutbacks would hurt the things that need to sleep (or die in some cases), than others. If that makes sense.

Forgive me though, I've never liked Dragon Quest(bar IX). I've played a few of the old ones, VI, and VIII, and I hated them. I really tried to like them, too ;/. IX is fun though, but it seems..different, iunno how to explain it.

Also, it's not our fault 75% of their new IPs are ********.

-I played Drakengard1/2 and tried Nier, they were terrible.
-My friend had mindjack, meh.
-I've played KH1, 2, and one of the Gba ones, it was.. I'm sorry I didn't like it?

I will say TWEWY looks amazing, I really need to get that, and Drakengard had a decent story. That's really all I can say.

I hate the fact they milk FF and DQ badly, but they need to either fix bad IPs, or just let them die and start fresh.

Also, on an ending note, drop=sleep not end. I would love to see Dragon Quest thrive...later. (I wish they'd quit making hack-n-slash games though)

Edit: Sorry this post is all over the place, my friend is over so itsa bit choppy :3/

finalark

SNORLAX
What's so good about Dragon Quest though? I'm sorry, but games where the main character's name is hero... x_x.
I've only played VIII, but I was just pointing out that it's ridiculous that you asked them to revival their old IPs while simultaneous asking them to put down one of their most successful and oldest franchises.

I'm all for creating new IPs, I was just saying I miss old ones.
It would be interesting to see Square do more with their older games, I do agree with that.

I actually didn't mean Blood of Bahamut (I've never played it), I just meant their hack-n-slash genre in general. SE fails at making Hack-n-slashes. (Drakengard/Nier are prime examples...)
That's right, there is no such thing as a bigger company publishing a smaller company's game. ALL GAMES WITH THE SQUARE LOGO ON THE BOX ARE MADE BY THEM. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Sarcasm aside, I've never played either so it's not my place to judge. Although it is interesting to know that Drakenguard and Nier where both developed by the same company. Also, don't go hating on a game you haven't played.

Though it comes off as such, I'm never a fan of them just spitting out FFs and nothing else. I just wish the cutbacks would hurt the things that need to sleep (or die in some cases), than others. If that makes sense.
I would rather that they just released new games without relying on the FF name.

Forgive me though, I've never liked Dragon Quest(bar IX). I've played a few of the old ones, VI, and VIII, and I hated them. I really tried to like them, too ;/. IX is fun though, but it seems..different, iunno how to explain it.
I've only played VIII, and I really couldn't get into it. So yeah, I have to agree with you that Dragon Quest isn't my cup of tea.

Also, it's not our fault 75% of their new IPs are ********.
Such as? Come on, Square is publishing DEUS EX now. Lets not forget that the Tomb Raider reboot looks to have promise (although that franchise was rendered null and void by Uncharted). Sure, they've published some bad games but stop focusing on the negative and pay attention to what they've done right.

-I played Drakengard1/2 and tried Nier, they were terrible.
-My friend had mindjack, meh.
-I've played KH1, 2, and one of the Gba ones, it was.. I'm sorry I didn't like it?
Square has more IPs than that. Sure, Drakenguard, Nier and Mindjack might have been lackluster but it's not like those are the only IPs Square has aside from FF. And KH defiantly isn't for everyone.

I will say TWEWY looks amazing, I really need to get that, and Drakengard had a decent story. That's really all I can say.
If you liked TWEWY then you should pick up a copy to support non-FF Square games and show them that we're willing to pay for more than just FF.

I hate the fact they milk FF and DQ badly, but they need to either fix bad IPs, or just let them die and start fresh.
I agree here. Just don't complain about every game that comes out and be thankful that Square is doing more than FF and DQ.

Also, on an ending note, drop=sleep not end. I would love to see Dragon Quest thrive...later. (I wish they'd quit making hack-n-slash games though)
The only hack and slashes Square published was the two Drakenguards and Nier. Plus the Bouncer but I've heard that game was just forgettable, not really bad. But that's only four games compared to the stupid amount of RPGs they've made.[/QUOTE]

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've only played VIII, but I was just pointing out that it's ridiculous that you asked them to revival their old IPs while simultaneous asking them to put down one of their most successful and oldest franchises.

It would be interesting to see Square do more with their older games, I do agree with that.

That's right, there is no such thing as a bigger company publishing a smaller company's game. ALL GAMES WITH THE SQUARE LOGO ON THE BOX ARE MADE BY THEM. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Sarcasm aside, I've never played either so it's not my place to judge. Although it is interesting to know that Drakenguard and Nier where both developed by the same company. Also, don't go hating on a game you haven't played.

I would rather that they just released new games without relying on the FF name.

I've only played VIII, and I really couldn't get into it. So yeah, I have to agree with you that Dragon Quest isn't my cup of tea.

Such as? Come on, Square is publishing DEUS EX now. Lets not forget that the Tomb Raider reboot looks to have promise (although that franchise was rendered null and void by Uncharted). Sure, they've published some bad games but stop focusing on the negative and pay attention to what they've done right.

Square has more IPs than that. Sure, Drakenguard, Nier and Mindjack might have been lackluster but it's not like those are the only IPs Square has aside from FF. And KH defiantly isn't for everyone.

If you liked TWEWY then you should pick up a copy to support non-FF Square games and show them that we're willing to pay for more than just FF.

I agree here. Just don't complain about every game that comes out and be thankful that Square is doing more than FF and DQ.

The only hack and slashes Square published was the two Drakenguards and Nier. Plus the Bouncer but I've heard that game was just forgettable, not really bad. But that's only four games compared to the stupid amount of RPGs they've made.
[/QUOTE]

-I plan on getting TWENY, work sucks bro.
-Blood of Bahamut was a hack-slash no?
-I know they don't create every game that has the logo on it, but I thought SE had a lot to do with Dungeon Siege, no? Or maybe Obsidian is doing most of it, hell I just could've sworn I read they had a lot to do with it...

As for Drakengard, I'm pretty sure they influenced it, but I get where you're coming from.

I am grateful they do non-jrpgs, but I'm not going to support crap either. I plan to buy TWEWY, it is a gem, but things like Drakengard...(and Nier) are...-sigh-.

I have to say though, DQIX is a sign they may break the mold with DQ.

Edit: I tried to post how you did...dunno what happened XD. (Well I do, but too lazy to fix..)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Square has let me down a lot of franchise revivals. Samurai Legend Musashi(which wasn't that bad actually as its own game) and the newer Mana games were a let down. I still have to try out The 3rd Birthday. That one actually looks pretty fun though.
The main characters' name in DQ is not "Hero"...
Dragon Quest's main charm is just the style of the game and its world.
It's not too different from Pokemon, really.

And it's not like DQ is really affecting a lot on the "Square" side of S-E anyways, so you don't have to worry about Dragon Quest if you don't like it.
The people working on DQ games aren't on the same development team as the ones for FF and such.

If you don't like DQ, that's fine. It's more of an old school charm that's hard to like by people into newer RPGs.
Don't force yourself to find things that are good about it. If you don't like it, just pass on it, I guess.

finalark

SNORLAX
-I plan on getting TWENY, work sucks bro.
I haven't played TWEWY yet either. My friend's girlfriend loves the game and I'll probably end up borrowing it from her at some point.

-Blood of Bahamut was a hack-slash no?
I don't know anything about it. So really don't have any thoughts on it.

-I know they don't create every game that has the logo on it, but I thought SE had a lot to do with Dungeon Siege, no? Or maybe Obsidian is doing most of it, hell I just could've sworn I read they had a lot to do with it...
Publishers can have some influence the process, but usually they'll just ask the team to make some minor tweaks before releasing it. Plus Square didn't pick up the dungeon siege rights until recently (like, only last year recently). And everything Obsidian touches turns into a buggy mess that is hardly worth your time anyway.

I am grateful they do non-jrpgs, but I'm not going to support crap either. I plan to buy TWEWY, it is a gem, but things like Drakengard...(and Nier) are...-sigh-.
Well, its better to show them that **** outside of FFs sells, then.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I understand where Ryu is coming from. SE does not need to discontinue their efforts in making new IPs, they just need to make new IPs that don't look like Final Fantasy ripoffs. lol almost all of their other IPs are medieval fantasy.

Front Mission however, is not at all and while I've never played a game in the series, I totally support it because it's vastly different from FF.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
@ Dragon Quest: I love old school rpgs, I firmly believe Breath of fire needs a reboot. I guess I just never found the love for the DQ niche. I will say it again though, IX is awesome.

And...yeah that's another point Spire. I like FF being medievil fantasy (for the most part), but the reason why I love TWEWY is it looked like a good mix of earth with fantasy.

I don't like completely realistic games (CoD), but SE does need variation.

@Final Ark:

The problem is SE doesn't listen. One time I wrote them a suggestion email for FFXI. (They took suggestions, btw). They very mature-like told me to stfu and mind my own business, it was their game.

This is why so much of their new stuff fails. If they let FF and DQ sleep for a while and made fresh IPs that were different and great, plus maybe revive some older ones, I'd be all for that. (Sorry for run-on sentence)

--I'll try to find that email to post here.. it's on my OLD old old email.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
TWEWY really is pretty good, and if nothing else, incredibly refreshing. Also, Front Mission is indeed not like Final Fantasy, but I can't stop recommending Front Mission 3 though.

finalark

SNORLAX
@Final Ark:

The problem is SE doesn't listen. One time I wrote them a suggestion email for FFXI. (They took suggestions, btw). They very mature-like told me to stfu and mind my own business, it was their game.
SE has a bad habit of doing that, especially to their western fans. Square's biggest problem is that they're only interesting in appealing to their Japanese fans. Their Japanese fans eat up Final Fantasies and whenever a Dragon Quest is released its practically a national Holiday over there (or so I've heard). That's why they're failing. They still think that its 2003 and the Final Fantasy name alone is enough to make one of their games a massive hit and they also seem to think that the Square name holds a ton of weight to it still. All they do is focus on their homeland while any vague attempts to appeal to a western fanbase falls flat on its face (by Deus Ex 3 does look ****ing fantastic).

This is why so much of their new stuff fails. If they let FF and DQ sleep for a while and made fresh IPs that were different and great, plus maybe revive some older ones, I'd be all for that. (Sorry for run-on sentence)
That would be fantastic, but again, they only care about their Japanese fans who eat up FF and DQ like no tomorrow.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SE has a bad habit of doing that, especially to their western fans. Square's biggest problem is that they're only interesting in appealing to their Japanese fans. Their Japanese fans eat up Final Fantasies and whenever a Dragon Quest is released its practically a national Holiday over there (or so I've heard). That's why they're failing. They still think that its 2003 and the Final Fantasy name alone is enough to make one of their games a massive hit and they also seem to think that the Square name holds a ton of weight to it still. All they do is focus on their homeland while any vague attempts to appeal to a western fanbase falls flat on its face (by Deus Ex 3 does look ****ing fantastic).

That would be fantastic, but again, they only care about their Japanese fans who eat up FF and DQ like no tomorrow.
Really? Hm... I actually thought all Square's been doing was trying to appeal to its Western fanbase instead of the opposite with games like Nier and such.

As for letting FF and DQ sit on the sidelines for a bit, IMO, they kind of already are.
The main DQ games are pretty spread out and the main FF games take forever to make.

All Square's been doing is pumping a lot of new IPs and just doing remakes and ports (like they've always done).

Top Bottom