• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Some people feel as if grinding sucks and/or makes the game easier. This is true but tbh I always played jrpgs for that. Even still, xiii is not as bad as It is made out to be.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Yeah you can. All the monsters respawn, so if you backtrack you can grind easily.
There really is no need to grind until post-game when you're killin' the Oretoises or doing missions.

The main story can be completed easily just by charging through the levels and killing everything once.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Am I the only one who dislikes grinding unless it's optional or the pay off is worth it?
Grinding isn't fun for anyone (at least for the most part), but it's kind of necessary for RPG's at some point in the game. Grinding before a boss is the usual routine for a gamer. In some sense, if you don't need to grind at some point, people are likely to say the game is too easy, and it requires almost no effort. Just Sayin~

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one who dislikes grinding unless it's optional or the pay off is worth it?
You're not, trust me.

Most of the reason I quit FFXII is because I always felt like I was either grinding for money or for leveling up.

finalark

SNORLAX
Grinding isn't fun for anyone (at least for the most part), but it's kind of necessary for RPG's at some point in the game. Grinding before a boss is the usual routine for a gamer. In some sense, if you don't need to grind at some point, people are likely to say the game is too easy, and it requires almost no effort. Just Sayin~
They could make the game challenging by making you think up strategies to take down the bosses rather than having to over power him via grinding. Just Sayin~

Minato

穏やかじゃない
They could make the game challenging by making you think up strategies to take down the bosses rather than having to over power him via grinding. Just Sayin~
Games like Dragon Quest do that, IMO. But some people find the game hard and just grind anyway.

I do think SMT games do a good job of balancing strategy with grinding though by making you level up along with having to get and fuse demons together. FFX and XIII did a good job too now that I think about it.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Games like Dragon Quest do that, IMO. But some people find the game hard and just grind anyway.

I do think SMT games do a good job of balancing strategy with grinding though by making you level up along with having to get and fuse demons together. FFX and XIII did a good job too now that I think about it.
I have not played any other DQ besides 8, but you don't really need any other strategy for a boss besides "Buff party". "Tension/Attack+ your heavy hitters" and "heal up". It works for every boss basically.

finalark

SNORLAX
In a new year's Message, Yoshida, FFXIV's director, said that his resolution for 2011 was to make FFXIV not suck.

According to the article, Yoshida have four vague points to make the game better. Fun, Live, Reboot, Rebuild. He also said that everyone working on the game is doing their best to improve it in every way possible.

I've more or less lost hope in FFXIV, but I guess we'll see how they did when the PS3 version comes out.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/final.../a-20110104151014643036/g-2009060212274149050

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Can't source this but heard FFXV is being made by team ivalice. Yay :D

finalark

SNORLAX

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Square registers FFXIII-2 domain name, hinting at the possibility of FFXIII-2.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f.../a-2011011391032673013/g-20080715115627250082

Really, Sqaure? You guys need to accept that the Final Fantasy name doesn't hold as much weight as it did ten years ago. You can't just throw around the FF name and expect everyone to get excited like it's a new Halo or something.
I blame western RPGs. They came along and suddenly the rough divide between the two types began. Nothing against the western games by any means. But...

/sighs/ I loved Final Fantasy XIII, and as a whole for this series, especially the animosity that XIII gets as a game, I can't help but seeth with anger. The people that go, "The people that just say 'haters gonna hate' and debunk what people find wrong with the game, are wrong," tick me off. I honestly cannot comprehend why people are frustrated with this game.

Linearity-wise, Final Fantasy XIII is a carbon copy of Final Fantasy X, which shared the exact same style of linearity and minimal exploring. Hell, the Calmlands in X was less fleshed out than all of Gran Pulse was for everything you saw and did, I find. Final Fantasy X's battle system was awesome but almost just as equally mindless until you fight optional battles or are underlevelled for Jecht.

Storyline and characters, I believe, is a matter of personal taste. VII is admired, but shares it's equal share of haters and lovers on many different aspects of the game. I just fail to understand what it is that makes XIII out to be so damn outcasted, while X gets praise (I liked that game too) by most for being just about the EXACT SAME DAMN THING.

And nobody give me some bluntly put "You're just wrong" or "stop debunking our opinions and facts on what is flawed about this game" when you fail to give me ANY acknowledgement of the fact that Square-Enix did this BEFORE with Final Fantasy X. My attempt to debunk haters who whine about the linearity and whatnot has a foundation based upon something already done, and seemingly, adored and praised by most. Honestly, I am getting sick and tired of seeing it get slammed for the linearity reason of all things.

Finalark, this ain't positioned directly at you or anything, just at the generic group in general. Guess I needed to get this off my chest.

People like me that just go "haters gonna hate" aren't saying it just because. That is all.

/huff

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've been getting into XIII and it's not bad really. The linearity of it is kinda refreshing tbh, you're not always overwhelmed.

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't played FFXIII so I have no opinion on it. But as for JRPG VS. WRPG, as far as I'm concerned JRPGs already dominated the console RPG world for four generations in a row. Let the WRPG have a turn, JRPGs will come back eventually. It's just that right now Japanese devs need to realize that the old ways of making RPGs doesn't work in a western-dominated market and they need to figure out a way around that.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I haven't played FFXIII so I have no opinion on it. But as for JRPG VS. WRPG, as far as I'm concerned JRPGs already dominated the console RPG world for four generations in a row. Let the WRPG have a turn, JRPGs will come back eventually. It's just that right now Japanese devs need to realize that the old ways of making RPGs doesn't work in a western-dominated market and they need to figure out a way around that.
Yeah I do think it's pretty awesome that other styles of RPG are getting some nicely hyped attention; in the long run though, I'm hoping that both can co-exist easier one day.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I just hope the random encounter days are gone for good. I like the idea of hitting an enemy, then the battle starts. (SO, XIII, etc)

Random Encounters always pissed me off. [And yet I love Pokemon]

Wrath`

Smash Master
I will agree, Realtime(KH) to Active(FFXII) to visible encounters(FFXIII) > random encounters, just goes to show Earthbound was ahead of its days. Also to me it will give older games a more nostalgic feel if they do move on from random encounters. Thus giving older games something unique.

finalark

SNORLAX

So am I the only one who is sick of Square whoring out FFI, II and IV? The first two don't hold up well at all and I'm sick of IV at this point (we're getting a PSP remake despite the fact that we already got a DS remake, wtf?).

Give me my FFVI remake already.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I was content with the DS remake and The After Years on Virtual Console. That's all the Final Fantasy IV I need for now.

Final Fantasy V and then VI please. If they're gonna go in order with all of these remakes as they have so far, they might as well stick to it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

So am I the only one who is sick of Square whoring out FFI, II and IV? The first two don't hold up well at all and I'm sick of IV at this point (we're getting a PSP remake despite the fact that we already got a DS remake, wtf?).

Give me my FFVI remake already.
FFVI is rumored on 3DS. Just wait.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'm happy that Aeris makes an appearance, even though she's just an assist :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Gilgamesh and Laguna make this game perfect. I suspect Barthandalus will appear as FFXIII's antagonist.

Considering they're only adding characters from the SNES era onwards, If I could add three more, I would add:
1. Locke [FFVI]
2. Odin (to counter Gilgamesh; allied with Cosmos) [FFIX]
3a. New FFXIII Purple Guy [FFXIII-2]
3b. or Noctis [FFvXIII]

And if I could add three more stages:
1. Midgar [FFVII]
2. Lunatic Pandora [FFVIII]
3. Mt. Gagazet [FFX]

Also:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
...oh....my god. GILGAMESH!!! This is going to be amazing.

Also, 3rd outfits for the rest of the cast (except for Gilgamesh and Prishe obviously) were leaked too.

I'm too tired to upload all the pics so I'll just say some notable ones.

Warrior of Light - 8-Bit Fighter; hair style, armor change and no cape and all. think 8-Bit Theater Fighter if he were in glorious 3D and not pixelly. it is AWESOME

Garland - Based off amano artwork where he looks all menacing and you can see his face. badass.

Kain - The Mysterious Man (when he travels with Ceodore in The After Years before revealing himself and fighting Dark Kain)

Bartz - based off his chibi artwork and in-game sprite, freelancer class, I believe.

Exdeath - amano-styled (I think), where he looks pretty demonic and scary. his face is revealed

Tifa - Cowgirl. Yeehaw!

Vaan - Sky Pirate outfit from his Tactics appearance, forget which Tactics game it's called again. pretty sweet.

Yuna - a simple recoloring and then her wedding dress.

Zidane, Shantotto and Kuja got one too but I don't recognize them well off the top of my head. But yeah, these are all pretty awesome! Oh, and Lightning has some kind of...sexy fanservice looking one that's got her wearing a hat and whatnot.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Kuja's third costume hasn't been leaked or unveiled, but his portrait shows that his clothing is black... perhaps to reflect Garland's clothing from FFIX?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It has, actually. I just didn't bother to say anything about it because (though I could just be ignorant), it just seems like a recoloring. His clothing and overall color scheme is way darker, and his Trance form has him all black. He looks pretty cool, if not gothic.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So guys, I finally found out that you can play psp games on ps3. That said, Dissidia is on the psp store.

What is this game like? It looks like a fighter with weps/accs, but they say "level up" in these guides, meaning lvl weps/acc, or do you level up your fighter?

It sounds interesting to say the least.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
To get said accessories in what's called battlegen, you have to fulfill certain requirements in battle. Most if not all of them are extremely easy, and the chances of you obtaining them are even higher if your character is of a lower level than your opponent (bonus if their difficulty is higher too)

For example, wall rushing someone, destroying the level, brave breaking someone, etc.

Top Bottom