• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's Video & Video Critique Thread [Current Critique - MBmoney]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@RayKalm

That one vid is mainly about your opponent doing some silly things and getting owned.

That one time you got killed by Up-smash, the safest thing to do would have been retreat to the platform above you.

Not much else I can say really lol.

stRIP

Smash Ace
Can anyone help me get up some replays? I have no way to upload them.
if you have a SD Card and you're able to upload those replays i could record them. Just send me a link to the Replays. I wont add you at your wii, becuz i hate this procedure :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Now you're making me feel depressed Marsulas.

But seriously, I honestly think I found a better way to efficiently upload videos (in lower quality) so hang on a little. I think I should be getting new stuff up soon...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Now you're making me feel depressed Marsulas.

But seriously, I honestly think I found a better way to efficiently upload videos (in lower quality) so hang on a little. I think I should be getting new stuff up soon...
hehe ok;). I wasn't directing my post at you by the way I know how busy people can get and sometimes you just dont have time to do stuff for other people like upload vids lol.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
First off, welcome to Smash World Forums =]

second, it's easier to critique videos of you losing or barely winning, but since it's your first time, I think we can do a quick break down for you.

HOWEVER

Tis 3 in the morning and I need sleep. I'm sure that by the time I check this tomorrow you'll have a critique or two already, and I'll try to add what I can to theirs when I arrive. Thanks for being a part of our boards:)

TP

Smash Master
It's OK Red, I'll do the critiquing.

Hello, all. I just wanted to share a few of my videos, and perhaps get a little feedback from some veterans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCWlYMccAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFJ_q8P9Tk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBSb4-eRwCs
I'm only going to mention bad things I see. Don't take this critique as negative, since you can assume you are doing everything fine except for what I point out.

1st vid:

0:12 - Failed Dair>Usmash. Dair>grab would be more likely to work, and is only a few less percent (pummel + Fthrow = 15)

0:36 - Link could have done a jab lock, which would have ended in an Fsmash at the edge for the kill. Now I know he's not very good or he's holding back.

0:43 - While waiting for him to respawn, do a short hop to get rid of your RCO lag. If you don't know what that is, I'm too lazy to explain it. It's in a couple of the other stickied threads.

0:49 - Fail DI. Oh, and Nair/Uair/Bair are all better choices than air dodge after you get hit to cancel momentum.

1:02 - Don't forget to pummel. It took me forever to reach the point where I didn't have to remind myself to pummel each time, but now it is natural for me. It's free damage. This applies for all future grabs as well.

1:02 - Later in the same second lol. You were in the perfect spot for a Wizkick Cancel, or WKC. It would have made edge guarding much easier. Again, if you don't know what it is, our guides have it.

1:15 - Your Dair edge guard attempts are very repetitive, and thus they are predicable. In many situations, you are better off using Uair to edge guard (while facing backwards, hitting them with the end of it). This is called a Tipman Spike. It's not actually a spike, but it sends them away and down, so they usually die.

1:22 - Your first Uair. This is Ganon's best move. Use it much more.

1:42 - Fail choke following. Jab is guaranteed. I would recommend just going for that instead of anything fancy, because Link was so near the edge you could set up an edge guard from it. The only time you should ever jump after a choke is to thunderstomp.

2nd vid:

0:32 - Never Dsmash.

0:57 to 1:08 - You don't always have to be so aggressive while coming down. You are in the disadvantaged position, so just worry about getting down safely.

1:12 - LOL.

I'm too lazy to watch the 3rd vid. Overall, you are alright. Your main issues I stated above, except one: you (and your opponent for that matter) are VERY predictable. If we were to fight, by the middle of the second match you would be pretty much unable to hit me because you don't mix things up enough. A major part of that is that you aren't using enough moves. Only 1 dash attack is a real issue, that move is great. Nair, Fair, and Bair were only used once or twice, Fsmash only once, etc.

Well, that's enough for now. If you play online, we can play each other sometime.

:034:

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
What's the point of critiquing a WiFi vid?
double-u tee eff
Despite the laggy input and issues altogether it's still a good way to improve/learning from mistakes and such. Also pointing out a mishap and helping out overall you can get better insight from brawling on wifi. You're not serious are you?

On a side note; the Ganon boards are by far, the most interesting. Don't know why I didn't frequent around before.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*sigh*

Critiquing a WiFi vid is pointless because some of the mistakes you see a player make online he might not make in real life that and it's nearly impossible to react the way you do to certain things offline due to the input lag.

I am dead serious. WiFi is only beeneficial for matchup experience.......and even then it's iffy.

Kishin

Smash Ace
That's true. There are many things in wi-fi that you wonder what the other player was thinking but nonetheless, if someone critiques it then you'll still know what to do better in that certain situation. If you accidentally use U-tilt when you meant to charge an U-smash then someone who critiques it may suggest to bait an air dodge and U-air instead. It still helps.

It is rather ironic how people who main Ganondorf, worst character/one who murders, have such a developed board with a bunch of nice people.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
WiFi vids can definitely help to critique and give advice about people's general strategies, as in where their holes are in their overall strategies. As far as technical skill goes though, it can always be cloudy to judge in WiFi vids. I can't tell you how many d-smashes I've accidently done, or how many times I've f*cked up on teching or failed to spot dodge an approaching grab. I'd probably get told with some of my wifi vids "Why the hell don't you spot dodge more?" It's like "That was me trying to spot dodge >.>"

Come to think of it though. After a while on wifi, it becomes hard to even judge general strategies. General strategies can tend to change with the restraints of wifi.

It is rather ironic how people who main Ganondorf, worst character/one who murders, have such a developed board with a bunch of nice people.
Eh, playing the worst character in the world tends to humble people :p...except kosk.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Eh, playing the worst character in the world tends to humble people :p...except kosk.
Rather, since we play a character who is definitely one of the worst in the game, arguably the only thing keeping us from going insane and abandoning the board and the game is the fact that we've gotten to be such a community.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
Hello there Ganon boards :)

A wifi friend posted his ike video for critiquing, but since I seem to play a decent Ganon in it, I was wondering if I could get some general critique on playstyle and such. I heard the Ganon boards had some awesome dudes, so please impart your wisdom, lol

Wifi Ganon(Mishi) v Ike(ComboKing) -- sorry no label on the video.

Thx and enjoy :)

weinner

Smash Apprentice
@Ari 1:20-1:24 was sexy. For Comboking anyways.

I only saw one gerudo (side B) in that whole video and it did not even connect. The gerudo is the one of the best moves in Ganondorf's Moveset. Not to mention that you are fighting an Ike, he gets put in a bad position everytime you land a gerudo because, when properly buffered, We have 5 follow-ups on him [Jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, iDA and platform drop>Uair (on platforms only)]. Also, it's a better horizontal recovery move due to the fact that it has less RCO.

You can Thunderstorm, You use Uair several times and attempt to gimp Ike with the tipman you also set Ike up for tech-chasing with dtilt on several occasions. However, and this is a big no-no, you barely put your shield up during close combat in that match. Ganondorf in a defensive character who has defend to prevent him from recieving damage, wait for an open spot and inflict massive damage. Here, you were getting hit several times by a character with damage racking attacks and killing blows through out his entire moveset. You always want to shield and dodge when in doubt or at close combat. Also, a Dash Attack is a great kill move even on Ike the heavy weight. It's fast, it's strong and has a long and large hit box.

That's my opinion anyways.

You should use Nidoking.

~~Ari~~

Smash Apprentice
Oh, god. You play with CK? You poor, poor *******.
lol, just this once, I have no idea who he is, I share roster space.

@Ari 1:20-1:24 was sexy. For Comboking anyways.

I only saw one gerudo (side B) in that whole video and it did not even connect. The gerudo is the one of the best moves in Ganondorf's Moveset. Not to mention that you are fighting an Ike, he gets put in a bad position everytime you land a gerudo because, when properly buffered, We have 5 follow-ups on him [Jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, iDA and platform drop>Uair (on platforms only)]. Also, it's a better horizontal recovery move due to the fact that it has less RCO.

You can Thunderstorm, You use Uair several times and attempt to gimp Ike with the tipman you also set Ike up for tech-chasing with dtilt on several occasions. However, and this is a big no-no, you barely put your shield up during close combat in that match. Ganondorf in a defensive character who has defend to prevent him from recieving damage, wait for an open spot and inflict massive damage. Here, you were getting hit several times by a character with damage racking attacks and killing blows through out his entire moveset. You always want to shield and dodge when in doubt or at close combat. Also, a Dash Attack is a great kill move even on Ike the heavy weight. It's fast, it's strong and has a long and large hit box.

That's my opinion anyways.

You should use Nidoking.

Thank you so much :)

I was thinking that I don't do enough chokes; I will definitely try more. You know, I play pretty aggro so my shield tends to be down, unless I'm behind in stock or outmatched in ratio or near the edge of a stage like the second part of Seige. I kinda forgot about ike's killing power, I just went all out with suicidal gimps and flips cuz Ganon is insane like that. What I have been trying is for a Dash Attack chain, so I will definitely be trying Dash more when I play....well when my wrist feels better, I sprained it or something :(

Thanks for da tips, and lol on tipman, I didn't know the gimp name :D

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Awesome. It always amazes me that, even though you might be playing in lag, you always appear to play as though you're not affected at all.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
It looked oddly fast for Wifi. I saw nothing wrong besides the random fair, WLP, and lack of Victra-esque chain choking of Charizard.

:031:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'll edit this for critique once my internet starts being nice to me.

Also, first link is still processing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly, you played the matchup alright. You made a few bad choices here and there, but really, there isn't much to know. Zelda is a very linear character. What works with her works.

You did a stupid Flame Choke in the beginning (and anyhow, Flame Choking is usually a bad idea vs her since it's very easily punished)

8:26, you completely missed an opportunity to punish her. Flame Choking, Grabbing, or F-tilting here would have been very good.

You SDed, probably in fear of one of her aerials or Smashes. I don't blame you though. DarkMusician is very good at reading you when your in the air. Honestly there isn't anything that I can assuredly say is safe against Zelda when you're at the ledge. She can really punish ledge getups very effectively. What might have worked in that moment would be landing on stage with N-air, or F-airing as she approached the ledge and then Up-Bing to recover.

On the last stock, air dodging where you just airdodged was pretty stupid. Zelda players want you to air dodge in this situation as they will then U-air you out of lag. Aerial Wizkicking, as risky as it is, would have been a better option there for two reasons. One is the possibility of hitting Zelda. The other reason is that it's much harder for her to punish you specifically with U-air in that situation. If the Zelda player chose to punish you with a Smash, keep in mind you just went a ways in making one of her more likely KO moves stale.

Honestly though, you were alright minus some bad choices.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
On the last stock, air dodging where you just airdodged was pretty stupid. Zelda players want you to air dodge in this situation as they will then U-air you out of lag. Aerial Wizkicking, as risky as it is, would have been a better option there for two reasons. One is the possibility of hitting Zelda. The other reason is that it's much harder for her to punish you specifically with U-air in that situation. If the Zelda player chose to punish you with a Smash, keep in mind you just went a ways in making one of her more likely KO moves stale.
Actually, I thought a fast-falling dair would have been perfect answer to both DM's options in that situation (once you assume he's taking one of those two). At precisely the moment you air-dodged, I think.

Also, at 7:06 I personally would have fair'd. I'm not sure what down-B got you. ... and as you probably can see, 7:22 would have been a great WizKick. But that's incidental.

Obvious tilt mistakes are obvious. Can you expain your ftilts, anyway? They just... missed. Expecting Dash Attacks? Does DM do a lot of those (outside this game)? I don't see why Zelda would do them in this matchup.

But there is one thing I can say authoritatively. At 8:47 you should have just kept shielding. Zelda's grab is bad enough you can respond on reaction (although the 8:26 A2Z mentions seems to show your reaction time to that), and given your surprise, she can dtilt, or Lightning Kick, faster then you can do anything. After absorbing her next action, you could maybe dodge or jump or something.
This is a technical thing, since it's obvious you were trying to drop after the perfect shield, but ... well, if you don't know you're going to perfect shield, you have to be able to react if you're going to try to react. Else you're just throwing away 7 frames.

I focus most on the ledgerape. We know Ganon can't do **** there, but... Christ.

Last... you are aware attacks clank with Din's Fire, right? ftilt is a good option for it, as is iDA. At a particular range, I think iDAing the Din's puts Zelda at a frame disadvantage. nah that's impossible. lol. :'( But I mean it does put some pressure on where you can dtilt or ... do something else, and he has to guess.

Just a comment now, I like the dtilt at 9:57. It's interesting.

TP

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGs00smnxPk&feature=channel_page

That is one of the best German Ganons vs the best Tink in Germany

Obviously, Ganon is so fkin evil if you dont know the matchup and you are just thinking "CRAP CHAR I **** LULZ"
LOL owned. You could tell the TL had never played a good Ganon before. He was waaaaaay too aggressive. But yeah, that Ganon was great at seeing opportunities to get chokes in and stuff. Good video.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
There really is no reason to clanking with her Din's fire unless you're right next to the Zelda b/c she can just get away before you can hit her with anything. The ftilts were me both hoping he'd attempt to fsmash so I could hit the extended hurtbox while in the low hitstun of the outer sparkles, and using them as a brickwall. It's something I do with a lot of characters b/c it'll make opponents more cautious... gives me breathing room.

At 7:06 that was me just doing Wizkicks b/c I like them, haha. 8:47 shieldpoked me, I'm pretty sure. I'm used to Wario's shield which is a lot safer (b/c he's less big). I chose to be safe at 8:26 b/c I didn't want to risk attempting to side b when he buffers a back roll or spotdodge. Her grab has a long startup, but, like most grabs, doesn't leave her very vulnerable... and when you play at high level you get used to people avoiding the side bs.

You have to keep in mind that DarkM is a very smart player, and rarely ever misses his lightning kicks, which is why you see some increased hesitancy and fear on my part from time to time... also, the airdodge thing is a game of rock paper scissors. I don't always airdodge, and he doesn't alway upair. If I try an attack he can airdodge it on reaction (b/c he doesn't really upair until I dodge), and then hit with a lightning kick or something else anyway (b/c Wizkick lags so much on the ground).

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
I thought you played well PX, I was impressed

edit: that guy you played in the grand finals was trash, did he know what DI was? >.> You were really good though =]

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I thought you played really well, PhantomX. Your DI and timing of attacks were great. Only thing though, you should have saved your Dash Attack and Aerial Wizkick till about 10 percent after the time you did it. But yeah, that's pretty much it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I don't have very much experience with Ganon vs a large array of the cast, so whenever I Gerudo them for the first time or two in a set/game, I try the more common guaranteed followups (i.e. gerudo > dtilt and gerudo > jab). If they don't work then I go for reads (lol, I got getup attacked while trying to walk through him)... yeah, as I get more experience vs more characters I'll know when things kill and when they don't, etc.

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
I could use a bit of help with spacing.... Me Vs Ijosh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acijtW3l_BI&feature=channel_page

No matter how hard I try, I am always in range of my his attacks, as well as some other decent players. Any advice?

Oh and Kingdom.... Champ, that you? Well, first of all, you dodge roll more than anyone ever should lol. Ganondorf is such a huge target, and dodge rolling causes you to be open to attacks, not to mention it's extremely predictable by anyone. Just don't do it, there's always another way. Another thing, when fighting DDD, really, REALLY try not to use such laggy attacks like Aerial Wizkick as you did in the match. It is so easy for him to grab with his 6 frame grab <_< and the lag is insanely bad for Ganon's Aerial Wizkick. The last thing though, at 4:18 in the video, a single jump and Fair would have worked nicely there. At least, better than Dair.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Yea, it's Champ!

I'm tryna start repping Ganon at tournies.

So, stop rolling and I see what you mean, that I shoulda faired it makes more sense now lol. I'll probably use Ganon again at Hobo 18 that's why I need as much critiquing as I can get!

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
That's good. We could use all the help we can get. I did notice you seemed to improve a bit, and Im glad you haven't given up like most people who try Ganondorf. Thanks for joining us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom