• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf can ledge-plank! WITH VIDEO PROOF!

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
As with just about everything else about Ganon, Ganon's ledge game is a little... lacking. While he does have the advantage of using a ledge-hop side-B, he's for the most part incapable of doing what most characters can do- mainly throw out an aerial and either grab the ledge or land on the stage. While Ganon can use his f-air or Zigma's famous Flipman combo to return to the stage (more on this later), the timing is much too strict for people to do on a regular basis. So what other option does Ganon have?

Planking (Inbe4plankingisntmanly)

Ganon has a short-hop perfectly suitable for planking; however, the problem has always been being able to throw out an aerial and get back to the ledge without being forced to use your up-B and thus leave you wide open for an attack. The video I will be presenting changes all of that, though, and proves that Ganondorf is actually a perfectly capable planker.

Here's the procedure:
1) Drop off the ledge
2) Immediately double-jump up-air (remain close to the edge)
3) Use side-B

This may seem really simple, but what pressing side-B does, if Ganon is close enough to the edge, is that it latches Ganondorf to the ledge without any start-up. The significance of this is without using side-B, Ganon can't use an up-air and then grab the ledge without being forced to use up+B. Thanks to the low height of Ganon's Double Jump, he can throw out an up-air and then latch to the edge while leaving almost no room for the opponent to punish him.

Ganon can do this on any stage without problem, but there are a few stages that get extra quirks. These stages are the ones where Ganon can reverse side-B stall, meaning that Ganondorf can move toward the stage while being 'below' it and then use a side-B in the opposite direction to return to the stage (example, Ganon's on the left ledge -> he drops down and moves toward the right -> Ganon double-jumps and side-B's to the left -> Ganon grabs the ledge). Reverse side-B stalling is mainly used because Ganon is more protected from getting hit than regular side-B stalling. The stages where Ganon can do this are:

-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium 1

Sadly, Ganon cannot use up-air and then reverse side-B stall on Lylat and PS1. With Battlefield and Smashville, however, Ganon has a further range on his planking by throwing out an up-air closer to the center of the stage and then using reverse-B to return to the stage.

All in all, I think that, when used in combination with Ganon's other ledge options, this form of planking can make Ganon better at defensive play. Now to present the video (Pokemon Stadium 1 is the last stage in the video, and that has a load of tricks completely unrelated to ledge-planking. I've included them all in the video, so be sure to watch till the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLQigMhVoxA

A few things I've noticed while doing ledge business with Ganon:

-) I've only been able to pull off a Flipman once, and the timing is really, really tricky. It's all because Ganon has a really funky timing with his double jump. You can't just immediately double-jump and throw out an aerial- you have to wait until Ganon reaches a point in his jump and then use the aerial. If you're reading this Zigma, would you please explain better how to time the Flipman correctly, because it's a really good technique all Ganon mains should know how to do.

-) I did not get clips for Halberd and Delfino, but I've played on them, and it is AMAZING for planking! Thanks to the lack of a solid base for both stages (when they're traveling), you can throw out an up-air and hit an opponent a good length away from the ledge and then still use a reverse side-B to get back.

-) You can hit an opponent on the side platforms in Battlefield with an F-air from the ledge to the stage, but the opponent has to be really close to the end (doing that falling over animation) for Ganon's F-air to reach them.

-) Pokemon Stadium 1... Nah, you'll know what I mean by watching the video.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I'm glad you posted a video and explanation, but unfortunately this is already known. At least, I already knew about it, and I'm pretty sure I learned it from this forum.

Besides, if a Ganon is actually in a situation appropriate for planking (i.e. a tournament match), I'm pretty sure they've already thrown out all notions of victory other than complete annihilation and humiliation of their opponent through brute force. Not planking lol.

This isn't a bad method of planking, but if anyone here wanted to plank, we'd be playing someone OTHER than the worst character in the game lol. Thanks for the contribution though

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
This isn't a bad method of planking, but if anyone here wanted to plank, we'd be playing someone OTHER than the worst character in the game lol. Thanks for the contribution though
Maybe people want to plank as the worst character in the game.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I think it looks sweet... maybe to just hit people away from you if your hanging on the edge...

but i dont plank and think its a really ****ty aspect of competitive brawl.. that aside i think this is very useful for Ganon's edge game.

I can't flipman at all..

Z1g?

TP

Smash Master
I applaud this find and the find on PS1 (lol wtf was that). I consider this the very best thing to do in doubles while waiting for your partner to respawn. I won't be using it in singles much, except to get my opponent away from me so I can get back onstage easier.

Don't forget that this makes your next Aerudo have 8 frames of landing lag instead of 16 thanks to the odd RCO transfer thing.

I have NO explanation for the PS1 thing, and probably never will.

:034:

Jupz

Smash Master
Lol yeah, I can't get over how sweet this is. The reverse thing at BF is pretty crazy lol. And wtf at PS1.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
This was already done in SGT 2 and im doing it since about 2 months

... i didnt know that nobody knew it <<
I'm missing the surprise announcement as well. I just commented on planking being manly due to being an avid fan of it.

TP

Smash Master
You guys need to share your info with the board more. No announcement should surprise exactly half of us.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I didn't know about this...

The one main problem Ganondorf has is making it back on to the stage, anyone with a decent mind should be able to edge-guard him till they get a KO.

This technique is actually VERY good and beneficial for Ganon. I like this.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I'll keeping watching this video more times and practice everything when I get a free time.

Actually I use this trick since 1 month (I guess), but not in the same way that you showed in your video.

I think this trick is useful.

I have to say... Good Job Clai. At least you're trying to help. That's good man.

You guys need to share your info with the board more. No announcement should surprise exactly half of us.

I would really like to explain my Approach with Ganondorf which I use in competitive matches, but my thread always get locked or my theories are always "Common Knowledge".

That's it...

Ijosh

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know about this...

The one main problem Ganondorf has is making it back on to the stage, anyone with a decent mind should be able to edge-guard him till they get a KO.

This technique is actually VERY good and beneficial for Ganon. I like this.
i do this often when we play kalm. u probably wasnt paying too much attention... lol

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
i dont even get how you can return to the stage by a ledge drop & jump. I never make it back up. I've seen people nair back onto the stage im like how the heck did they do that. i cant jump back onto the stage doing a neutral, if i do i end up falling and having to use upB.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Yay! Now I have reason to pick up Ganon again.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
If Ganon ever becomes president, you can be sure that it wasn't because anyone voted him in ;)

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
dis ain new infact theres somethin from 2008 in the related vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprLcIm6X1A&feature=related
I didn't realize how old this was. It may be an old trick, but I put up the video because I've never seen a Ganon player use this in a match before, and I wanted to share it so people can incorporate it into their playing styles.

It's all about improving Ganon's metagame, so it's a good reminder for people who haven't thought about using it in their matches.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
are you guys kidding me?
when that nub mad that thread a while ago about planking, I TOLD EVERYONE you could do this. I'm was sure that most of you had done this AT LEAST on accident when trying to Flipman->Gerudo. ... =/
I'm actually really disappointed =[
Now I think to myself, what else do I do that I thought all of us top Ganons knew but in actuality don't =/

EDIT:
just to make sure...
All of you know about Up-B stage Scarring right....
=[ please say yes

i dont even get how you can return to the stage by a ledge drop & jump. I never make it back up. I've seen people nair back onto the stage im like how the heck did they do that. i cant jump back onto the stage doing a neutral, if i do i end up falling and having to use upB.
To answer your question, the only way Ganon can make it back to the stage is if you press up and towards the stage IMMEDIATELY after you an aerial, or an Air-Dodge, other wise you'll just spin with your double jump and be forced to Up-b or Over-b to make it back to the ledge with the additionally recovery carry over lag that you may not have had before

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Nice explaination N stuff,, but you can find this in Sliq's good oooool' guide.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
are you guys kidding me?
when that nub mad that thread a while ago about planking, I TOLD EVERYONE you could do this. I'm was sure that most of you had done this AT LEAST on accident when trying to Flipman->Gerudo. ... =/
I'm actually really disappointed =[
Now I think to myself, what else do I do that I thought all of us top Ganons knew but in actuality don't =/

EDIT:
just to make sure...
All of you know about Up-B stage Scarring right....
=[ please say yes
Is that where you hold down as you use Up-B so that the punch comes out before you grab the ledge? I remember reading about it in the questions topic.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
So basicly you're saying that every Ganon suicides three times as soon as the match starts because if we wanted to win we'd be playing MK or Snake.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
So basicly you're saying that every Ganon suicides three times as soon as the match starts because if we wanted to win we'd be playing MK or Snake.
Not at all.

Let's say that there was a new AT for Jiggs, but it's ground-based. The usefulness of said AT would be questionable due to Jigglypuff not having a ground game to start with. As for Ganon, you can't plank with a character that can't recover/mix up his recovery.

Top Bottom