• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Board's Question & Answer Thread.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
No it cannot.

Warlock punch takes godly reading + your opponent to make a massive error.

D-Tilt is a whole new different story. What are you on about?

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Alien Vision, to make my point clear about Dtilt... I'd have to rewatch our matches, but I don't think you landed a single Dtilt on me in the dozen or so dittos that we played lol.

It's a decent move in theory, but it really doesn't get a lot of practical use.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
D-Tilt is the key to improving Ganondorf's metagame! :awesome:

If it really hasn't been fully proven, then why drop it? Why not spend some time testing it out in many different perspectives?

Mhmm? :sheik:

Exalted

Smash Lord
The D-Tilt's been tried and tried and tried for a million times, literally. If there is something amazing about the D-Tilt it's probably already known, lol.

(Man, I'm sooo tired.)

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
No amount of time spent on a particular thing could ever deem it a comprehensive understanding.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
AV, it's probably best to let it go. One could argue without end that any given move has its applications, but from all realistic standpoints, DTilt is a circumstantial move.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Well, the most you need to know is that its most practical application is as a follow-up from Gerudo, and as a surprise attack from a UAir/DAir autocancel. Outside of that, its combat value is replaceable by other safe moves.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
This is where the controversy comes in.
Any controversy is semantical. It's demonstrably unsafe, meets minor ground spacing criteria and deals minimal damage. It's been reasonably proven in theory and demonstrated in practice.

DTilt is a good move, but it's not a move that will ever replace DAir, jab or anything else, except under special circumstances.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
What about using it for spacing?

That's all I am saying..

I just want to hear more opinions on that particular circumstance.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Spacing can be summed up by what I mentioned before. It spaces decently on the ground, but it has neither the range nor the disjoint to be safe or useful. Most ground moves aren't great for space, and it's usually only forward-moving moves on the ground that are. E.g. DK's FTilt, Snake's FTilt, Zelda's FSmash, etc.

DTilt is bad for spacing because it not only compromises your zone control by paralyzing you and necessitating a complete stop to execute, but because its hitbox is small and only serves to preempt opponents who feverishly try to rush you down with dash attack approaches when it comes to spacing. Unlike FTilt moves, which can be used in motion, DTilt requires you come to a full stop, which compromises your space around you, and is unsafe enough that the opponent can negotiate it with virtually zero trouble.

It's nice for a mix-up occasionally, but it's one of Ganon's moves that just doesn't have a universal combat application, as is the case with most character's DTilts/UTilts. Snake's DTilt is comparable to ours in a great many ways, but you'll never see a Snake use DTilt to space.

DTilt finds its greatest use in occasional autocancel buffer mix-ups and as a Gerudo follow-up. It can throw the opponent off once or twice, but it should never be used for zone control, which is the primary criterion for considering a move's general application.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
No problem.

Trust me, it's not uncommon for me to test things out with Ganon extensively in an attempt to further his game even just a sliver. But with some moves, it can't be argued that their application is just too nebulous to be practical.

Prince Suicide

Smash Rookie
So I'm starting to implement air dodging right before touching the ground to cancel landing lag and it's working quite well. I don't watch a lot of Ganon videos, but do you all do it?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
landing lag from what? you mean the RCO lag?

if you "soft land" with an air dodge while you have RCO lag, the RCO lag is reduced by a lot (I think it's 10 frames compared to 30 frames if you have the up B lag).

I don't think air dodging right before you hit the ground constitutes a "soft landing" though... I think you need to slide along the ground during the air dodge, like what Ganon does when he ledge hop->air dodges onto the stage.

That's just what I'm assuming... I've never actually heard anyone define a "soft landing"... I just saw it in a VGBC video

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I have no idea what you're talking about lol... are you talking about RCO lag?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Air dodges auto-cancel.

He's talking about air-dodging to skip the 2 frame soft landing and 5 frame hard landing lag, not to skip RCO lag.

RCO lag is Recovery Carry Over lag, it's where if you use Up/Side B the next time you land you suffer increased landing lag.
Air dodging doesn't cancel it.

*EDIT* I just checked. Air dodges DO NOT AUTOCANCEL. DISREGARD THIS POST.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
It does not. However if you're offstage, your opponent likely won't want to air dodge out of it, because he may not be able to recover if he air dodges offstage. So it might as well be a combo on a portion of the cast.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'd like to know if angling stutter step fsmashes is a good idea. Angling them up or down seems good in my head, to catch aerial opponents or opponents on the edge respectively, but I was wondering how practical it was.

Also, one mix-up I like to do if I read that the opponent will cross over me is dash-pivot fsmash, but a lot of the time he'll dash attack instead. Does he have to be standing completely still after the dash or can it be buffered in the last frames?

How viable is solo Ganon in tourneys? Obviously he's not 'viable' but what I'd like to know is how far a top level Ganon could take him.

Thanks in advance.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
How viable is solo Ganon in tourneys? Obviously he's not 'viable' but what I'd like to know is how far a top level Ganon could take him.

Thanks in advance.
Fonz placed 1st in a MK banned tournament a few months ago.

The only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself.

Oh and ****ing Ice Climbers. Such a dumb character.

Breezy

Smash Ace
Fonz placed 1st in a MK banned tournament a few months ago.

The only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself.

Oh and ****ing Ice Climbers. Such a dumb character.
I still don't believe ICs is as terrible a MU as most people do. Bad, yes. Terribad, no. And this is strictly off experience. **** theorycrafting, Einstein is over rated.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Thing is... IC Mains tend to underestimate Ganon's defences too much, thus making them play aggressively and go on the offense, which is stupid Vs Ganon.

If the IC Main decides to play as gay as possible (Retreating/avoiding/camping), Ganon can't do ****.

Top Bottom