• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
lol, did i offend you only on that point, lol?
No, I was just adding on to your joke. Notice how I didn't disagree w/ the REST of the list.

Yeah.

Sheik doesnt annhilate either one of those 2.

Frickin Iori goes usually goes to every tourney with the goal of beating every sheik main in atleast a mm. Unless im mistaken, he beat tope at TO4.

As for kirby, sheik is actually one of kirby's better matchups (as in, kirby doesnt get annhilated as bad by sheik).
Hm, I figured most of the grab/duck stuff was useful, but I didn't think he'd be able to attack her back. I figured a turtling Sheik would just shut Kirby down. Again, I don't have much experience w/ either character, I'm just thinking about it.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Combos are the name of the game, and every character in the middle tier and above combos better than Ganondorf. And I feel that the tier list should reflect exactly that. Sure, he is strong, and his hit-boxes are larger than life, but the inability to guarantee consecutive hits restricts Ganondorf to the middle tier.

High:
Jiggs
Falcon
Ice Climbers
Peach (currently overrated imo)

Mid:
Luigi
Dr. Mario
Mr. Mario
DK

Low:
Ganon
Samus (for the same reasons as Ganon, her combo ability is poor, and the combos she does have suck.)

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Yeah, after seeing Jiggs in action yesterday, I'm most likely gonna be jumping on the "Jiggs in top tier" band wagon.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
DK for top tier?

Combos are the name of the game, and every character in the middle tier and above combos better than Ganondorf. And I feel that the tier list should reflect exactly that. Sure, he is strong, and his hit-boxes are larger than life, but the inability to guarantee consecutive hits restricts Ganondorf to the middle tier.

High:
Jiggs
Falcon
Ice Climbers
Peach (currently overrated imo)

Mid:
Luigi
Dr. Mario
Mr. Mario
DK

Low:
Ganon
Samus (for the same reasons as Ganon, her combo ability is poor, and the combos she does have suck.)

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
you would honestly put ganon below the plumbers and monkey?..... Combos aren't the name of the game to that extent, imo! Match-ups(_opportunities_ for combos according to the match up as well) hold just as much weight.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
I would probably agree with that statement, but when they do score hits, they have a much greater chance of continuing to score hits.

Look at the way Colin plays. When he hits you, he starts a combo, you take massive damage, and are either knocked off the stage, or left high in the air. It takes just a SINGLE attack to initiate a fatal chain-reaction. Fox not only has more opportunities to starts combos, but the combos are more effective too. Compare the combo rate of Colin's Fox to any Ganon/Samus player of comparable skill. They aren't the same, and it makes a huge difference.

Now replace the words Colin and Fox with the words Kyle and Mario. The paragraph remains
mostly
true. Combos make this game what it is.

Finch

Smash Lord
Mario's upair does like what? 9 damage? Just look at rom crews and you doing 4 hits with ganon for like 80 percent, plus ganon and samus being some of the best at edgeguarding in the game. You can't just look at combos. They're really important, and the best characters in the game are definitely the best at comboing, but they aren't everything.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Mario's upair does like what? 9 damage? Just look at rom crews and you doing 4 hits with ganon for like 80 percent, plus ganon and samus being some of the best at edgeguarding in the game. You can't just look at combos. They're really important, and the best characters in the game are definitely the best at comboing, but they aren't everything.
Yeah so a four hit combo does 80 dmg. How often do you think those happen? I'm lucky to get those once a set.

And where do you get off claiming "some of the best edgeguarding in the game?" I hear that a lot, and I think its a load of crap. Your telling me that ganon/samus compare to the shine spiking, falco's dair, Marth's poke/fwrd smash, and Sheik's ledgehoped bairs? Mario's Cape? Peach's dair to nair combo and dsmash? I would not be surprised if Hungry could edgeguard five players at once. And you are telling ME that Ganon has some of the best edgeguarding in the game? It's good, but its far from "some of the best." And Samus? What the hell does Samus have?

Ganon should move down, not up.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
When I start seeing mario's and docs placing higher than gannon ill agree, til then, we'll have to watch emilio and that fvcking homo kage keep gannon where he's at(or higher?)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yeah so a four hit combo does 80 dmg. How often do you think those happen? I'm lucky to get those once a set.

And where do you get off claiming "some of the best edgeguarding in the game?" I hear that a lot, and I think its a load of crap. Your telling me that ganon/samus compare to the shine spiking, falco's dair, Marth's poke/fwrd smash, and Sheik's ledgehoped bairs? Mario's Cape? Peach's dair to nair combo and dsmash? I would not be surprised if Hungry could edgeguard five players at once. And you are telling ME that Ganon has some of the best edgeguarding in the game? It's good, but its far from "some of the best." And Samus? What the hell does Samus have?

Ganon should move down, not up.
But you're not a combo oriented player. Your Fox and DK don't combo nearly as well as either character can. You focus far more on spacing which is one of Ganon's strong points, so you still place well (plus you're smart so that helps,) but don't tell me Ganon's combos aren't good when...

Grabs go for ~20% against most of the cast from 0-kill percents, with the grabbed character typically being left high in the air/off the stage for some edgeguarding. That's better than Falco, Puff, Peach, Samus, Doc, Mario, Luigi, etc. etc.

A single dair leads to another which does 44% if it's the first dair, into a tech chase. 44% is CCing most of peach's dsmash (one of peach's best combos.) If ganon goes for a dsmash or overb instead, he can pretty easily lengthen combos to 3-4 hits which is about 60% or more than half a stock when you're playing against Ganon.

Ganon's edgeguarding is verrry good, because IF it hits, the opponent is DEAD. Peach dair->nair? It's good against Ganon, but even then it must be done right 4 times in a row before Ganon dies. Against the other characters? It's really not that good.

Point being: OK Ganon isn't the best comboer, but he kills in less hits. Doing 18% with a fair is like a 40% combo for Marth in some matchups (thankfully they are also equivalently easy to do for both characters.) Doing a 60+% combo? that's a little more difficult, but so is doing a 100+% combo with marth, neither happen very often.

Just because he can't guarantee consecutive hits doesn't stop him from being a good character. His ability to KILL is a big strength not enjoyed by (Peach) Doc, Mario, Luigi or Samus.

Finch

Smash Lord
Wow gmoney you are ********.

And Dennis I'm surprised, you should know better how much better Ganon is at edgeguarding than mario, peach, ICs, falcon, etc. Obviously he's not as good as falco, fox, marth, sheik and jiggs, but that's why they're the best and way higher tier than ganon.

I don't know anything about samus except for esam's **** combo video in which he edgeguards the **** out of everything.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Yeah I really can't tell if Rock is serious.

I think he's just tired of losing as gannon :p

And where is gmoney in this thread finch?

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I think you are downplaying his edge guarding skills a little, rockcrock. Ganon can 0-death from the first attack just as fast as an awesome fox given the right circumstances. There are just so many opportunities and avenues to get someone off the edge and have them stay off when using ganon. All of these are basically avoidable, but it's easy to mindgame your opponent to do otherwise....being that you have so many ways to edge guard. Even if it's as simple as letting your opponent think they are avoiding the edge guard when you're just luring them to drop zone dair range.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Ganon definitely needs to move up.

and lol at that vid sleepyk.

some kid posted(basically verbatim) exactly what that video said.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
yeah, that was where the vid came from :colorful:

but the new kage ganon playstyle really changes the ganon landscape.

ganonscape.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Look at his match-ups, bad and good. Look at his placings, bad and good. Look at who he's lost too, good wins in addition to bad losses. Kage owns, I'm just saying he's not as special as some tend to believe.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
kage is decent. he just the lil wayne of ganon he is more expsoe to toruneys so he's more mainstream. chaddd tipman and linguini are wayy above him. but they cant prove it they too underground at least tipman and linguni is. so kage is just officially the best for now

SleepyK

well no, lil wayne isn't even decent, lol.

but i do think tipman is best ganon.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
exactly Lil wayne is decent.

He has his moments...

Elam that was a good analogy.

Tipman was Big Pun. Or lets just say, he was Naz...a founder of the revolutionized metagame for ganon...

Emillio spits hot fire, an im glad hes comin back.

Chaddd spits fairs...Im glad hes coming back? Chaddd u playin still? (idk any better dont beat me down)

But I love Kage...The man is a lovable canadian...Lol he questioned my "Inner Warrior"...i respect that =D

SleepyK

oh, he's all going to europe and being rusty.

like a fairy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hm, I figured most of the grab/duck stuff was useful, but I didn't think he'd be able to attack her back. I figured a turtling Sheik would just shut Kirby down. Again, I don't have much experience w/ either character, I'm just thinking about it.
Im a day late, a dollar short, and I know nobody really cares; but you realize that kirby's d.tilt is still low as hell (not to mention kirby's d.tilt is as long as sheik's moveset, save backair)

And it's not like kirby cant duck -> u.tilt (once or more di depending), -> grab/u.air/b.air.

Sheik's gunna turtle and what? Throw needles? Only needles that hit kirby are jumping needles.

_

It winds up being a ridiculously long match (which in smash terms means that somebody HAS to dominate the matchup, lol), but it's by no means kirby's worst matchup.

Oh no, that honor is saved for marth. XD

Renth

Smash Hero
:cry: no loves

also, don't care about tier lists or whos better than who. Just play the **** game.

Top Bottom