• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
It never said you were forced to have a wiimote and nunchuck, it just said that you have to use the controllers provided. If you actually called up your gamestop and asked for a gamecube controller, they will probably oblige, if they haven't already. It's also very likely, considering the very lax rules, that you could simply convince them to let you use your gamecube controller.
Not true , when they told me only wiimote and chuck was allowed i asked if i could bring my classic controller to use and they told me it was not allowed to use anything else.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
It never said you were forced to have a wiimote and nunchuck, it just said that you have to use the controllers provided. If you actually called up your gamestop and asked for a gamecube controller, they will probably oblige, if they haven't already. It's also very likely, considering the very lax rules, that you could simply convince them to let you use your gamecube controller.

That said, if you are up against a smashboarder who has been playing this game since the Japanese launch, you will lose. Unless you were an incredible melee player like Azen, MikeG, Chu, PC, or M2K, or some ****, you will not be able to compete with the importers. At least not at the first round.
I agree it is simple logic people that have the game will be better at it than people that dont have the game. nuff said.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Not true , when they told me only wiimote and chuck was allowed i asked if i could bring my classic controller to use and they told me it was not allowed to use anything else.
That is for your gamestop. Managers are upholding different variations of the rules. Hell, a MANAGER even posted in this thread how he was going to run his tournament differently. Basically, if you don't like the rules at one gamestop, try looking at the rules for another gamestop that is close by. Don't even tell me it isn't possible, cause I live in MS and have 2 decent choices for where to attend.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I hope that's not the case. That would suck but I'll start practicing a bit with the wiimote then.
I'm just gonna go ZSS at mine I think and just go for quick up air kills lol. Funny thing is most people are gonna go WTF when I pick Samus and see me playing as ZSS in the match, and they'll also get instantly owned by armor parts...probably kill with just those lmao.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice

yep some gamestop stores can make there own rules and use the wii mote and chuck the only thing no store can do is alow people to bring there own controllers

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lol my county (I didn't say country if anybody misread) sucks and my district tourny is 5 minutes away from me so Unless if I get gayed by some Noob player, sombody i haven't heard about that lives near me, or one of my friends, I should be fine.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Ironically, the wiimote + nunchuck only rule helps importers even more, because they can just practice with that control scheme. Meanwhile, we'd not only have to get used to Brawl, but the controller as well. It's a pretty ****ty situation.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
That is for your gamestop. Managers are upholding different variations of the rules. Hell, a MANAGER even posted in this thread how he was going to run his tournament differently. Basically, if you don't like the rules at one gamestop, try looking at the rules for another gamestop that is close by. Don't even tell me it isn't possible, cause I live in MS and have 2 decent choices for where to attend.
Well i've already preordered from there and i have no idea where another gamestop around where i live is...and that one is very close to home so i don't feel like looking around.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
I just called 3 of the many gamestops in my area and 1 said they didn't know how its going to be done. 1 said time. and another said they are going to try to do stock. so i know which one i'll pick :)

anyone know if fox's lasers count as a kill if someone else knocked them off?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I just called 3 of the many gamestops in my area and 1 said they didn't know how its going to be done. 1 said time. and another said they are going to try to do stock. so i know which one i'll pick :)

anyone know if fox's lasers count as a kill if someone else knocked them off?
Fox's lasers count as a kill.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Hurray for Orlando's failure Gamestops!

I just called three of the Gamestops in my area and all of them had no idea how the tournament was going to be run yet...

However, the two that I spoke to (third one kept giving me a busy tone -_-) said that they would set up booths any hour or so after their store closed. So, it looks like some Gamestops are willing to let you practice before hand.

I'll just have to call back later and, see if I can convince them to allow GC controls.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
So I went to gamestop today to ask about tournament specifics. They know almost nothing about the tournament. No idea which characters will be unlocked, no idea what stages will be allowed, what items, etc, but I'm assuming it'll be only the starting roster (at least at my GS) with items.

Our tournament will be starting at 10 PM on March 8th. They're taking sign ups before the tournament even begins, not 30 minutes in advance like the website said they were. When I asked them about it, they didn't even have a list going, so they made one on the spot and I was the first name on the list. I doubt my gamestop will have many participants because of the fact that the tournament isn't really advertised much so most people don't even know about it unless they happen to go to the GS website. Hopefully they'll start advertising it locally sometime soon. Either way though, it's a win-win for me. If a lot of people sign up, it'll be more fun, but if only a few participate, I have a good chance of winning.

Since the tournament starts at 10 PM, I'm assuming they'll have the wii set up ahead of time and will allow people to play a bit before it starts. Might be a good idea to go and check to see if you can get some practice matches in if you haven't played Brawl yet.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
So I went to gamestop today to ask about tournament specifics. They know almost nothing about the tournament. No idea which characters will be unlocked, no idea what stages will be allowed, what items, etc, but I'm assuming it'll be only the starting roster (at least at my GS) with items.

Our tournament will be starting at 10 PM on March 8th. They're taking sign ups before the tournament even begins, not 30 minutes in advance like the website said they were. When I asked them about it, they didn't even have a list going, so they made one on the spot and I was the first name on the list. I doubt my gamestop will have many participants because of the fact that the tournament isn't really advertised much so most people don't even know about it unless they happen to go to the GS website. Hopefully they'll start advertising it locally sometime soon. Either way though, it's a win-win for me. If a lot of people sign up, it'll be more fun, but if only a few participate, I have a good chance of winning.

Since the tournament starts at 10 PM, I'm assuming they'll have the wii set up ahead of time and will allow people to play a bit before it starts. Might be a good idea to go and check to see if you can get some practice matches in if you haven't played Brawl yet.

Yeah to be honest i dont think alot of people will show up to alot of these gamestop tournemnts and i have a fealling if they do it will mostly be the more experienced players who are 18 and older.

Angry Aipom

Smash Rookie
Well in Brawl I plan on maining five different characters, and out of those five my favorite is Mario. Now I was thinking that I would use Mario in the tournament because he is my favorite and is pretty easy to pick up and play. I'm starting to think though that DK would be a better choice because it would be easier to defeat opponents with his wide arsenal of kill moves. Any suggestions?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Well in Brawl I plan on maining five different characters, and out of those five my favorite is Mario. Now I was thinking that I would use Mario in the tournament because he is my favorite and is pretty easy to pick up and play. I'm starting to think though that DK would be a better choice because it would be easier to defeat opponents with his wide arsenal of kill moves. Any suggestions?
I'd suggest picking a pick-up-and-play character like Metaknight. Not only will you be able to rack up damage quickly, but you'll have great recovery and items to finish off your opponent.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Meta Knight, from what I hear, is a good pick-up-and-play character, so is Pit. Picking your previous main in Melee (if he/she/it/potato is in the starting roster) isn't that bad of an idea, either, since many of the characters haven't changed much (Mario, Bowser, and Kirby are the only ones I can think of on the top of my head).

Milln

Smash Champion
To clarify, the gamestops don't know about the tournament because they receive their emails and packets of information extremely late, if at all, and if they're even doing the tournament. For example, the one I'm going to just got their packet like two days ago and they're still working on how they're going to perform the tournament. Lay off Gamestop, guys, it's corporate's fault, not the store's or the employee's.

Also, I'm now pondering using Pit instead of Poketrainer... >,>

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Good **** on this thread, I've been discussing ways to get that quick kill, although I haven't been able to work on them due to classes.

Ideas that come to mind:

- CG with D3 and hit with a fully charged fmash when they recover off the edge.
- Choose Ike and just spam his AAA attack (decent knockback and damage), then kill with a tilt.
- Spike with Diddy's dair (I'm unsure of this, but I saw a video in which someone did that)
- SideB suicide with Bowser, then do it again in Sudden Death FTW (watch Gimpy's video for how to do that)

Basically, the next two weeks are going to spent on the best ways for getting fast kills so that we can all win the first round and go to the much fairer matches.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
To clarify, the gamestops don't know about the tournament because they receive their emails and packets of information extremely late, if at all, and if they're even doing the tournament. For example, the one I'm going to just got their packet like two days ago and they're still working on how they're going to perform the tournament. Lay off Gamestop, guys, it's corporate's fault, not the store's or the employee's.

I wasn't being serious with the failure comment. I use that word a lot and very lightly. I know they get there info pretty late, especially since it's a Nintendo side tournament and not something they decided to do by themselves.
I'm just happy they're allowing some people to come in early for practice.

Also, for the PT or Pit thing.
I would go for Pit.
He's got awesome recover and can rack up damage.
Being safe to assume that not a lot of highly skilled players will be at these tournament. Spamming Pit's Side B (angel's ring i think) will be a good idea since DIing out of it would be hard for most of the people there.

That and, the only thing Pit's lacking is kill power which is covered up by the items you can throw.

GinRei

Smash Apprentice
- SideB suicide with Bowser, then do it again in Sudden Death FTW (watch Gimpy's video for how to do that)
I think there aren't Sudden Death matches in Rounds 1, 2, and 4. You just replay until someone wins.

Milln

Smash Champion
Also, for the PT or Pit thing.
I would go for Pit.
He's got awesome recover and can rack up damage.
Being safe to assume that not a lot of highly skilled players will be at these tournament. Spamming Pit's Side B (angel's ring i think) will be a good idea since DIing out of it would be hard for most of the people there.

That and, the only thing Pit's lacking is kill power which is covered up by the items you can throw.
Hmm... Cool, thanks. I'll probably use Pit, then, and save Pokemon Trainer for when I have more time. I don't like using someone I plan to main in the future first, anyway. Good call. =o *tries to find videos of Pits that do more than just arrow spam so he can research tactics...*

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I think there aren't Sudden Death matches in Rounds 1, 2, and 4. You just replay until someone wins.
Does not compute. They would be doing the low time limit to have short matches and cycle through everything quickly. As is, if they had you replay ties then it would take longer than doing a regular stock match, which btw, is something to consider using to try to convince your local gamestop of changing its ruleset if they truly do want you to do rematches instead of playing sudden death.

chaos_zero

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0222-2373-0059
(used to be ASM at Gamestop)

Just talked to my buddy, the new ASM there, and he told me he just got off a conference call this morning and gave me some new details about Brawl.

Keep in mind they may be store/district specific, but here's what they were (at this point in time)

3 minute matches, (if gamestop gets to pick rules, this specific one will not use items) everyone entered into tournament bracket. He said they'd probably only do 30 or so people (whatever the tournament allows) so you won't have to keep fighting random people over and over.

No controller specifics were mentioned by the higher ups yet, but you must go to your gamestop and sign up before hand, because I doubt they'll allow more than 32 players.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

Nobody's really bashing gamestop. Only reason we're going there to get info is to find out what to expect ahead of time. We know it's not the store's fault.

I'd suggest picking a pick-up-and-play character like Metaknight. Not only will you be able to rack up damage quickly, but you'll have great recovery and items to finish off your opponent.
Don't pick Meta Knight. He'll rack up damage, but people aren't kidding when they say he can't kill. I picked him and couldn't get in a kill move on a Sonic player and ended up losing because of it, even though I was in the lead for most of the match.

Pit, on the other hand, is a great choice.

Milln

Smash Champion
Nobody's really bashing gamestop. Only reason we're going there to get info is to find out what to expect ahead of time. We know it's not the store's fault.
There was Gamestop bashing. I saw it. >,>

Arrrgh. Looked at Pit. I really don't think he's gonna fit my playstyle. >,<!

!

ZERO SUIT SAMUS. Definitely. Especially with Up+B spam. As if anyone's going to tech that correctly! =DD And her stuns? And the ridiculously long tether reach? Mmmm.. Definitely. Up+B and Stuns alone should throw any casual off their game, if not into a fit of frustration.

Edit: CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP! My best friend's wedding is on the fifteenth! The same day the second round of the tournament is held! Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! XD It's in the middle of the day, too. If anyone has ANY information regarding the second round's tournament time, I would absolutely love that information and whoever gives it to me to bits. <3

NDUDE

Smash Ace
If Smash Balls are on, I have a question...

If you use Ike's FS without ground beneath you, would you slam both of you down into oblivion? If so, who gets the point, Ike, or the victim?

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
has any one asked their gamestop about the tournament because when i asked about it they said its gonna be a melee tournament not brawl

then they said brawl then the final result was melee

i wanna confirm this because ive been playing melee for the past few days just for practice so can ppl go around and ask at gamestop and not go by what the internet says

edit: oh and i live in lancaster/palmdale there is 4 gamestops in palmdale, all 4 are participating, and i've asked at three, the one with my pre-order and 2 closer ones(2 in 1 mall!), and my friend asked were he pre-ordered it(the answer he got was melee)

Milln

Smash Champion
has any one asked their gamestop about the tournament because when i asked about it they said its gonna be a melee tournament not brawl

i wanna confirm this because ive been playing melee for the past few days just for practice so can ppl go around and ask at gamestop and not go by what the internet says
It's a Brawl tournament.

TBL_Luis

Smash Apprentice

edit: oh and i live in lancaster/palmdale there is 4 gamestops in palmdale, all 4 are participating, and i've asked at three, the one with my pre-order and 2 closer ones, and my friend asked were he pre-ordered it(the answer he got was melee)
Its Brawl
also cool i was born in lancaster :D

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
If Smash Balls are on, I have a question...

If you use Ike's FS without ground beneath you, would you slam both of you down into oblivion? If so, who gets the point, Ike, or the victim?
Ike would get +1 for killing the opponent, the opponent would get -1 for getting killed, and Ike would get a -1 for suiciding, ending in a 0 to -1 lead for Ike.

ZERO SUIT SAMUS. Definitely. Especially with Up+B spam. As if anyone's going to tech that correctly! =DD And her stuns? And the ridiculously long tether reach? Mmmm.. Definitely. Up+B and Stuns alone should throw any casual off their game, if not into a fit of frustration.
ZSS is a good choice only if you've used her before. She isn't your standard character and takes a bit longer to get used to than most characters do. If you're familiar with her though, you might be able to pull it off.

Haha...my anniversary's on the 15th...it'll be 2 years and 5 months. Too bad my girlfriend isn't going to see me if I end up winning round one. She probably won't see me much even if I lose since I'll be playing Brawl.

Milln

Smash Champion
ZSS is a good choice only if you've used her before. She isn't your standard character and takes a bit longer to get used to than most characters do. If you're familiar with her though, you might be able to pull it off.
I like to think i'm able to adapt very quickly, so I think I can handle her in Round 1 of a tournament. I'll be playing around with her moves in the earlier matches (making sure I get that KO, though) and getting a feel of her and Brawl's physics so that I can play effectively and seriously in the last match of the night in case the opponent is tough.

Zevox

Smash Lord
When I asked about the tournament at my Gamestop, I got told some stores were doing Melee rather than Brawl because they didn't have permission to use Brawl before its release, or some weird reason like that. The guy wasn't entirely clear on the why, and to be honest after he affirmed that my Gamestop was going to be doing Brawl, I didn't particularly care, so I didn't bother to ask for clarification. But it does sound as if some Gamestops will be doing Melee instead, yes.

Zevox

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ike would get +1 for killing the opponent, the opponent would get -1 for getting killed, and Ike would get a -1 for suiciding, ending in a 0 to -1 lead for Ike.

Ike's FS automatically sends him and his targets to the middle of the level once he connects with it. You can't kamikaze kill with it.

Also, you can't deny KOs in Time games by SDs. Whoever hit you last will get credit for the kill regardless. If absolutely no one hit you on your life and you SD, then it's only -1 to you, but doing that on a fresh life will severely hurt your progress regardless.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I like to think i'm able to adapt very quickly, so I think I can handle her in Round 1 of a tournament. I'll be playing around with her moves in the earlier matches (making sure I get that KO, though) and getting a feel of her and Brawl's physics so that I can play effectively and seriously in the last match of the night in case the opponent is tough.
I hate to say this, but if you haven't played as ZSS before you'll most likely have alot of trouble winning with her. In fact the first time I tried using her I was so horrendous that it made me wonder if she sucked. Now that I've been using her as my secondary though I think she's awesome. Anyway, the point is I wouldn't exactly call her a "pick up and play" character so my advice is not to go with her for a first timer.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm a sheik/gdorf mainer in melee.

that == screwed.

So, do I combo ftilts and nairs, then try for the kill with an usmash? Or do I go in attempting to learn a new character?

I was decent with Marth, so maybe Ike would be okay. I prefer faster characters though, so I was thinking ZSS.

However, earlier posts say Zamus is hard to learn, so I don't know.

Thoughts? Here are the two scenarios:

Complete noob competition level, and no time to prepare: sheik??

Decent competition level and a couple minutes to prepare: Ike, DDD, or ZSS?

I really would like to show well at this pathetic excuse for a tournament, but I am scared ****less of 1 minute matches. Especially with ITEMS!!!!

Oh, btw, is there a thread with item mechanics? Such as airdodging through, tapping z when passing an item, things like that?

Never thought I would ask some of these questions.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

Ike's FS automatically sends him and his targets to the middle of the level once he connects with it. You can't kamikaze kill with it.

Also, you can't deny KOs in Time games by SDs. Whoever hit you last will get credit for the kill regardless. If absolutely no one hit you on your life and you SD, then it's only -1 to you, but doing that on a fresh life will severely hurt your progress regardless.
Wow, I didn't know about that whole SD thing. Are you 100% sure about that? Seems somewhat illogical to have the last person that hit you get the kill even if you suicide after hitting the ground first.

Oh, and I'm thinking of using Zelda for this tournament. What weight class is she in? Anyone know how good she'd do? Sweetspotted Fairs seem to **** anything in the 90-110% range and her Din's Fire spam is way too good.

Chommo

Smash Rookie
When I asked about the tournament at my Gamestop, I got told some stores were doing Melee rather than Brawl because they didn't have permission to use Brawl before its release, or some weird reason like that. The guy wasn't entirely clear on the why, and to be honest after he affirmed that my Gamestop was going to be doing Brawl, I didn't particularly care, so I didn't bother to ask for clarification. But it does sound as if some Gamestops will be doing Melee instead, yes.

Zevox
I happen to be a manager at a GameStop, so let me give my two cents.
There are two big reasons that this will be a Brawl tournament.

Number 1: Nowhere in our e-mails or store informers did it ever say that it was going to be Melee. Also in many cases a Melee tournament would be impossible, as the game has become moderately uncommon and many stores don't have a single used copy to use.

Number 2: The Brawl Midnight Launch planner states that the players will compete using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo, as many of you know, this combo could only be supported with a Wii game, and would be impossible to use while playing a gamecube game.

If anyone has any questions concering the midnight event, don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind spilling beans.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I happen to be a manager at a GameStop, so let me give my two cents.
There are two big reasons that this will be a Brawl tournament.

Number 1: Nowhere in our e-mails or store informers did it ever say that it was going to be Melee. Also in many cases a Melee tournament would be impossible, as the game has become moderately uncommon and many stores don't have a single used copy to use.

Number 2: The Brawl Midnight Launch planner states that the players will compete using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo, as many of you know, this combo could only be supported with a Wii game, and would be impossible to use while playing a gamecube game.

If anyone has any questions concering the midnight event, don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind spilling beans.
...Why..cant..we use game cube controllers? *face palms

I am DEFINITELY not attending now.

Top Bottom