• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
*Looks in thread* Wow, this thread is as awful as the gamestop rules themselves. >_<

@people who identify themselves as casual, NO JOHNS!

@Blot, nooo, he is the type of person to demand not to be spoiled at a place where you are going to be spoiled. It is not mandatory. Just don't go if it means THAT much to you.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
To be honest, a person demanding not to be spoiled at the tournament isn't going to fair very well in it anyways. You might as well pick up the game and move on your merry way. Surely, at every gamestop, there will be someone who has at least watched videos of good people playing with characters that are available and he will have a one up over those who chose to live under a rock for the past month and a half.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Don't know if this is old info or not, but I just went up to my Gamestop today and asked about this. Didn't get any specific rules info (apparently my store hasn't received them yet), but I did get told that the controllers they'd be providing would be Wiimotes, with the Nunchuk attachment also available. No 'Cube/Classic controllers.

Zevox

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
And the customers who don't want the all the hidden characters spoiled on them?

Personally, if that's the way your store is going to run it, I hope I don't wind up playing there. It's not in northern California, is it?
First of all, I highly doubt many people would want you at their gamestops after seeing the way you attempt to bash people and start flame wars. You seem like the kind of person that complains about even the smallest things.

As for the characters, most people have probably seen them all by now. If you haven't and are planning on attending the tournament, you should not expect to only use the starting roster since it has not been stated in the official rules. I'm sure anyone attending would still go even if all of the characters were unlocked from the start. Nobody's going to *****.

Third, you cannot compare a fighting game to an RPG. RPGs are played for their characters and story, so ruining either is a major reason not to play. Fighting games are played for the action. Knowing which character is in the game doesn't affect the experience at all other then taking out that 5 second "OMG he's in the game" feeling when you first unlock a character. Comparing against genres in video games does not work well and you've presented everyone with a clear example.

Seriously, if this thread bothers you, then just don't read it. Nobody's forcing you to do so. Don't ruin what is a very informative thread for people who want to get a slight upper hand with your flaming.

Oh, and fact: casuals do in fact have very simple patters. Most of them will do running attacks more than anything. Easy counter is to shield grab them. They do not react very quickly to unexpected circumstances. When grabbed, some do not know how to get out. All of these things can and should be used to screw them over.

By the way, I'm going to be having SO much fun while I'm winning. I find nothing more satisfying than beating down my opponents until they're in awe. I love applying so much pressure that they have no idea what to do. I'll have even more fun when I play my free Brawl (assuming the rumors are true).

A rumor is one should completely ditch Melee all together until the Brawl is released to prevent one from implementing Melee concepts into Brawl. What do you guys think?
You don't have to ditch melee. However, there is one very important piece of advice I have to offer.

If you use advanced techniques in melee, make sure you play practice playing melee for about 2 hours without using them at all. When I first played Brawl, it took me several matches to get out of the habit of trying to wavedash, l-cancel, and JC grab and I got punished very often for my mistakes. Get it out of your system before you play Brawl.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I already know the characters. Hanging out at this forum, it's pretty impossible, what with people's signatures waving around who their main will be. It doesn't matter to me anymore.

But it's not a major plot point, I'll agree. It's still a surprise. It's your friend coming up to you and telling you EXACTLY what will happen in the Psycho Mantis boss fight of Metal Gear Solid. Yes, it's still cool.

But it's not as exciting now that you're experiencing it second hand.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
After reading the rules, I'm just going to buy the game, go home, and play it. Here's how it's going to play out [under the presumption Gamestop is selling the game at midnight in addition to the tourny] :

12:25
Tourny attendee: "Sweet, it's almost my turn to play!"
Me: "Awesome, I've been playing Brawl for 10 minutes now already!"

12:40
Tourny attendee: "My turn!" [Takes his 1-minute turn] "That rocked! Too bad I lost though."
Me: "I just unlocked Marth, Luigi, and C. Falcon from playing so many VS mode brawls. This is sweet!"

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
After reading the rules, I'm just going to buy the game, go home, and play it. Here's how it's going to play out [under the presumption Gamestop is selling the game at midnight in addition to the tourny] :

12:25
Tourny attendee: "Sweet, it's almost my turn to play!"
Me: "Awesome, I've been playing Brawl for 10 minutes now already!"

12:40
Tourny attendee: "My turn!" [Takes his 1-minute turn] "That rocked! Too bad I lost though."
Me: "I just unlocked Marth, Luigi, and C. Falcon from playing so many VS mode brawls. This is sweet!"
I do believe the tournament will be a few hours before midnight. I don't think Nintendo would plan for a tournament that late in the day knowing how they want to be family friendly and appeal to a large audience.

Even if it was like that though, who cares? Competitions are fun. That's why the sports industry makes so much money. Some people love to watch them even if they don't participate. I know I'd be going to watch if I wasn't allowed to enter the tournament. Plus you get to socialize with people, share in one of the very first tournaments, have a chance of winning free stuff, and not be a hermit.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I signed up for one of these already.

My gamestop is actually doing a Melee tournament for the first round. I would be fine with brawl..but melee will be even easier. I will just pick fox and horribly own everyone there.

Also, I have played the imported brawl a TON. I am sad that I won't be able to use GW but my samus should hold up :).

Maveritchell

Smash Rookie
Oh heck. I just checked with my local GameStop, and it would seem that they're doing 4-player FFA as the tournament format. I've been following these tips and was planning on using Ike, but I wonder now if a faster character wouldn't be more viable if they're actually doing 4-players. I figure Ike would still be able to get kills or turtle pretty easily, but I don't know if I'd be able to get the killsteals or items I'd almost certainly need to win. Any input?

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
so is it safe to say ike and d3 are the best bets for the first round at least?

what about Donkey's potential?

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Crap....i just called my gamestop and the clerk was like "wiimote and nunchuck onry!!!, you can't bring your CC!"...i'd advise people to give em a call so they won't be surprised. >.>

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Starting roster only? Lame, not really much of a tournement if you're restricted to a small list.

If you've been playing smash for a long time, I go with whatever character you've been comfortable with, unless your character happens to not be the starter list.

...as Marth isn't there I'll probably go with Ike, Metaknight or Pit.

Usage of the gamecube controller is good and all but I don't mind at all if we're made to use the nunchuck and wiimote. Everyone would be moreso on fair grounds with game controls.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
"Small list"? It's 25 unique characters. More if you consider Pokemon Trainer special. This isn't Street Fighter 2 where you had all of 8 at your selection.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Offhand, I'd say a smaller character with a few good killing moves would be best for an FFA item fighting fest if that's truly what's going on. Perhaps Kirby. Somewhat lower chance of getting blindsided with an item/falcon punch.

Alternatively, Ike would probably be good too. Abuse his Super Armor in the latter half of Eruption to get kills or Fsmash. But you'd have to beware his recovery.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
if it has items at all, fox or mario would be good choices due to their ability to reflect items. even more so in ffa methinks.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
i think it should be set up like ssbm tourneys those were alot of fun minus a life or 2 because of the harder to get a ko situation

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I'm going down to my gamestop to sign up for this and ask for extra info. Hopefully they'll know what I'm talking about when I ask them about this.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Why are so many people talking about FFA matches?? The rules clearly say 1v1. Come on now, please at least know the rules of the tournament before posting...

Coselm

Smash Ace
Why are so many people talking about FFA matches?? The rules clearly say 1v1. Come on now, please at least know the rules of the tournament before posting...
Haha you'd be surprised. At the Gamestop I went to, they said they might do free-for-alls. The guy was a jerk and said they could do it any way they wanted-which is true; they can.

If it is a free-for-all, I am just going to camp and then steal kills with Ike.

Maveritchell

Smash Rookie
It's probably not because we're daft or ignorant, but rather because that's what we heard from our local GameStops. Yes, the rules indicate 1v1, but given the leeway store managers seem to have I wouldn't put it past a few less-bright ones to mess up the rules. There's certainly no harm in planning for any contingency.

Of course I'd much rather it just be a case of local managers not having all the information yet and inferring their own rules while more official rules are still in transit.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well if you are planning for FFA then just use Ike. Use Ike and just kill steal. Play a defensive game and just rack up KO's when you get the chance. It shouldn't be that hard if you are against 3 casual players that have their attention divided to sneak in a smash or good killing blow.

PiSToLZ

Smash Lord
Mains- Lucario, Falco, and Meta Knight Seconda
OK this thread is pointless because brawl hasent come out in america so not everyone knows who to choose. Also you can only choose characters from the starting roster so sonic and snake fans are in trouble. Most people won't even be able to go to a tornument because its at midnight. I might go only because ive played brawl but my bests are toon link sonic and lucario, and you cant use any of them...I have to resort to lucas and pokemon trainer now.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OK this thread is pointless because brawl hasent come out in america so not everyone knows who to choose.
Nope. Myself and others have offered solid choices of who to use given the ruleset. It is based off of information we learned from the Japanese version. If you are a decent smasher from melee it shouldn't be too hard to employ the strategies that have been discussed.
Also you can only choose characters from the starting roster so sonic and snake fans are in trouble.
I haven't seen anybody talk about using them for this. Both characters are not good for this cause you actually have to spend some time with them. Snake plays extremely different than every other character, and Sonic is ridiculously fast and to be good with him you have to be very familiar with him.
Most people won't even be able to go to a tornument because its at midnight.
Uhhh... what? Why should that stop us from posting tips for those that are going to be able to attend?
I might go only because ive played brawl but my bests are toon link sonic and lucario, and you cant use any of them...
Cry me a river. At least you have played Brawl.
I have to resort to lucas and pokemon trainer now.
Lucas is a very viable character given the rules.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Ok i need a quick but somewhat detailed summary of how you play brawl with wiimote+chuck since my gamestop is being ******** about that...thanks in advance.

Blargamalarg

Smash Rookie
The first time I play brawl will likely be at the tournament, so I must ask about projectiles. Specifically, if it does come down to sudden death, whose projectiles can KO? I've heard DDD can, but I'm not sure. If so, it seems like DDD would be an even better choice for a one-minute match. I could be wrong though, as I don't have the game.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to use Mario since he is very similar to how he was in Melee. I'm going to just going to item spam if the items are on very high. I'll throw every items except for the super scope, which I'll use to shoot the heck out of my opponent. If my opponent gets close to me, then I'll do some face to face combat, otherwise I'm going use items and run like a chicken, especially if I'm playing agains Ike of DDD since they can easily kill Mario with a couple of smashes.

I really hope I don't have to play against DDD or Ike in the first round, if I do I really hope the person is a casual player, so I'll just use my speed and rack up a lot of damage.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
While not most related, I can't post it in a seperate thread apart from the current Gamestop Tournament threads and hence, here I go...

Like many of you, I am interested in participating in the Gamestop Brawl tournament and yet, I must admit, I do not want to be a true participant.

Playing people at your local Gamestop is great, going a bit out of your way to play people is great but going out of state... Nah... Personally, I would love to go and just play people there while waiting for midnight having fun, I don't care for glory of victory but to just have fun while waiting for the game to launch...

Therefore, I am curious to see if we would be able to just bum around and play while we would wait for midnight...

I'm not very much into it as the rules seem a bit.. eh.. Too much traveling and so forth. I just want to go to Gamestop come March 8th, play Brawl with people until Midnight and go back home.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I went to my local game stop and they said that the tournament starts at 9pm on March 8th but you should be there at 7pm so I'm assuming you'll be able to get some play time before the tournament. Also this tells that the tourny isn't really at midnight. Also you have to sign up online not at the Gamestop Store.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
While not most related, I can't post it in a seperate thread apart from the current Gamestop Tournament threads and hence, here I go...

Like many of you, I am interested in participating in the Gamestop Brawl tournament and yet, I must admit, I do not want to be a true participant.

Playing people at your local Gamestop is great, going a bit out of your way to play people is great but going out of state... Nah... Personally, I would love to go and just play people there while waiting for midnight having fun, I don't care for glory of victory but to just have fun while waiting for the game to launch...

Therefore, I am curious to see if we would be able to just bum around and play while we would wait for midnight...

I'm not very much into it as the rules seem a bit.. eh.. Too much traveling and so forth. I just want to go to Gamestop come March 8th, play Brawl with people until Midnight and go back home.

What are your thoughts on this?

Yeah its kinda the same for me too lol even though i made this thread about HOW CAN WE BE COMPEDITIVE AND BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF THE SCRUBZ i too just want to have a casual time and play some brawl. It would be nice to win and i will try my hardest but i have like no time to do anything because of college and work, so im not quite sure if i do make it past this first round that i would even want to go out of my way to travel and play another one you know. I was also thinking maybe i could sell the ticket if i win :p.

KungLao

Smash Rookie
Do you honestly think you stood a chance against the importers in the first place?
Having the use the wii remote and nunchuck, plus items on...yes I would stand a chance.

I guarantee the same people that imported aren't playing with that setup.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wow I'm very lucky. All of the first three rounds are less than a half an hour away from me!

The first round is of course my local gamestops. Infact I have 2 local gamestops.

Figures my secondary gamestop(about the same distance like maybe 5 minutes) is my district tourny.

And out of the 27 regional tourny gamestops in the COUNTRY. 1 of those 27 is in my local mall which is less than an Half an hour away!

Also I found out they will have it on march 4th and you can play it.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Wow I'm very lucky. All of the first three rounds are less than a half an hour away from me!

The first round is of course my local gamestops. Infact I have 2 local gamestops.

Figures my secondary gamestop(about the same distance like maybe 5 minutes) is my district tourny.

And out of the 27 regional tourny gamestops in the COUNTRY. 1 of those 27 is in my local mall which is less than an Half an hour away!

You do know you still need to win right?

Zink

Smash Champion
with all this rule confusion I'm gonna call a few gamestops and see which has the most favorable ruleset. I advise you all to do the same.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Are all gamestops planning on using the same controllers? I've heard some are using GC ones.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Having the use the wii remote and nunchuck, plus items on...yes I would stand a chance.

I guarantee the same people that imported aren't playing with that setup.
It never said you were forced to have a wiimote and nunchuck, it just said that you have to use the controllers provided. If you actually called up your gamestop and asked for a gamecube controller, they will probably oblige, if they haven't already. It's also very likely, considering the very lax rules, that you could simply convince them to let you use your gamecube controller.

That said, if you are up against a smashboarder who has been playing this game since the Japanese launch, you will lose. Unless you were an incredible melee player like Azen, MikeG, Chu, PC, or M2K, or some ****, you will not be able to compete with the importers. At least not at the first round.

Top Bottom