• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
So, if some of the players here are so good? Why would you need tips to beat casuals? Even if you don't get practice in for Brawl and it does play differently to Melee, your experience in higher levels of competition should put you at an advantage from the go.

MRX

Smash Cadet
Here's a good tip in the tournament for you guys:

Try your best and have fun!

Seriously, majority of the gamers you will be versing would be gamers who are not or hasn't played Smash in a while. Aside from that you'll get people who played Smash for a while to the people who has the import copy. However, keep this in mind:

Assume you'll be playing with the starting roster with a time limit in Battlefield with the classic controller. Anything else would be added as "bonus."

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
neat trick me and my brother learned about melee was that say its mario VS samus. they each have 120dmg.

samus fires charged shot killing mario with 15 seconds left.

samus gets +1 mario gets -1.

now in 15 secs, samus could still easily get ko due to the high dmg.

so as samus, jump of the edge and get -1

the score is now samus-0 mario -1 !!!!!

this way you start back off at 0dmg and incredibly hard to ko.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
neat trick me and my brother learned about melee was that say its mario VS samus. they each have 120dmg.

samus fires charged shot killing mario with 15 seconds left.

samus gets +1 mario gets -1.

now in 15 secs, samus could still easily get ko due to the high dmg.

so as samus, jump of the edge and get -1

the score is now samus-0 mario -1 !!!!!

this way you start back off at 0dmg and incredibly hard to ko.
That is a pretty slick move.
That only counts if you've ko'd though.

Who knows though.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
I'm stuck between

DDD and Ike. I mained Peach in melee so waddle spamming with DDD seams viable. Being a large character and having multiple jumps also makes it seem like it will take longer than a min to KO him.

But I played an ok Marth in Melee so Ike looks like he'll be easier to pickup and play than DDD. Also his kill moves all look like noob killerz.

So who should i use?

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I'm stuck between

DDD and Ike. I mained Peach in melee so waddle spamming with DDD seams viable. Being a large character and having multiple jumps also makes it seem like it will take longer than a min to KO him.

But I played an ok Marth in Melee so Ike looks like he'll be easier to pickup and play than DDD. Also his kill moves all look like noob killerz.

So who should i use?
I am using Ike, I was a marth main in melee. If i were you i would do the same. . . he's good and i hear he is easyer to pick up on the spot than D3. watch some vids with AZEN playing with him it will help you out.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
As for myself, I'm working up something epic for the Momocon tournament I'll be attending on the 15th. I'm going to have vids, but if it works out how I'm envisioning it, this will be the ultimate demonstration between the differences of the casual mindset and the competitive mindset.
Im going to momocon as well! I'll look forward to playing you in the tourny

krynny

Smash Cadet
among my friends so far, they are all practicing Ike and DDD. This one guy was an exception who rocks the kaazba with Zelda (not sheik). Zelda actually seems better in brawl than sheik.

I was mainly using Diddy and Lucas, but now that i know they are 1 minute matches i think i should change to DDD as well. At least for the first round.

World

Smash Cadet
Im kind of confused right now, I read a post somewhere that their gamestop was
allowing them time to practice if the people showed up early enough.

I just called two of the tournament locations near me and they stated that there
would be no such time to practice and the people can only play when the tournament
begins.

Does anyone else have a gamestop that said they will allow people to get use
to a character before the tournament starts?

If I can have no time to get familiar with my character of choice, ZSS, then I guess
I am going to have to start with Ike or DDD...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm actually somewhat frustrated with the inconsistencies with all the Gamestop tournaments. It's very unprofessional, and it also grants some people an easier ride through round 1 while others have to wait till midnight and have a wiimote chucked at them and told "figure it out." This is far from a sterile somewhat fair environment. It's bad enough that the importers have a considerable advantage and that you pretty much have to pray one of those guys aren't part of your round 1.

Still, I would still participate if it wasn't for another tournament that would conflict with round 2.

Saje

Smash Cadet
Couldn't agree more Mookie... At this point it's only a tournament in the sense that there are players, winners, and prizes. The rules are basically non-existent and one can hardly take pride in placing except perhaps in the third and fourth rounds. But even then, victory is tarnished by the idea that plenty of other equally capable players got ruled out by a poor match-up, a Bob-omb, the Wiimote, or just a lack of familiarity with the game. I'll still be participating, but only so I can have my chance at a free copy of the game. That said, I'm doing my best to stack the odds in my favor, reading up on Ike strategies, learning the stages, seeing which Gamestop near me has the most amenable rules, and even bringing a few friends who don't own Wiis but love the series. Win or lose though, it will be an awesome night as I'll finally have my hands on a copy.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Im kind of confused right now, I read a post somewhere that their gamestop was
allowing them time to practice if the people showed up early enough.

I just called two of the tournament locations near me and they stated that there
would be no such time to practice and the people can only play when the tournament
begins.

Does anyone else have a gamestop that said they will allow people to get use
to a character before the tournament starts?

If I can have no time to get familiar with my character of choice, ZSS, then I guess
I am going to have to start with Ike or DDD...
That was my post you read and it wasn't confirmed. I merely mentioned that it might be allowed since it starts at 10 and they'll probably already have the Wii set up. Unless they plan on not letting anyone touch it, it'd make sense that you'd be able to play a bit before.

That's just my gamestop though.

Guys...I'm stuck. I need help picking a character. So far it's between:

Kirby:
Fairly quick and has decent kill moves. Good recovery. I could also play around with him a bit in Melee just to get used to Kirby's moveset, giving me a bit of an advantage.

Ike:
I mained Marth in Melee. Ike is insanely powerful and a heavy character, but I'm afraid of his recovery. One gimped kill would be enough to screw me over. Unlike Kirby, Zelda, or Fox, I can't practice playing with him in Melee to get used to his moves. His final smash is an almost guaranteed kill.

Fox:
Very fast, good recovery, good KO moves. Reflector helps for campers and items, and perhaps even stalling if I'm about to die and the match is close to finishing. I could practice with him in Melee as well. His FS is pretty much unavoidable and very powerful. I'm mainly considering him because if I can apply enough pressure to my opponent, he'd get frustrated and make more mistakes.

Zelda:
Almost everything about Zelda has improved since Melee, but I'm mainly considering her for her insanely powerful Bair and Fair. I've seen them KO Ike at 90-110%. Her recovery also attacks after she lands now, preventing her from getting attacked at close range. Din's Fire is great at juggling opponents (it also has a huge damage radius) and is insanely good for keeping them off the stage in case they happen to survive her Dair or Fair. And like in Melee, damage and knockback increase the further Din's Fire has to travel.

Pit:
I wasn't considering pit until just recently. His recovery would pretty much ensure that I stay alive the entire match. He has high priority, a projectile, reflector, and very quick moves. Has decent kill moves as well, especially his Bair. Good at racking up damage, but as with Ike, I've never played him and can't get used to his moves in Melee.

Give me some input please.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually somewhat frustrated with the inconsistencies with all the Gamestop tournaments. It's very unprofessional, and it also grants some people an easier ride through round 1 while others have to wait till midnight and have a wiimote chucked at them and told "figure it out." This is far from a sterile somewhat fair environment. It's bad enough that the importers have a considerable advantage and that you pretty much have to pray one of those guys aren't part of your round 1.

Still, I would still participate if it wasn't for another tournament that would conflict with round 2.
why not go for a chance at the free copy? you know save a little money, have a good time. . . you never know you could even sell the ticket to someone lol

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
That was my post you read and it wasn't confirmed. I merely mentioned that it might be allowed since it starts at 10 and they'll probably already have the Wii set up. Unless they plan on not letting anyone touch it, it'd make sense that you'd be able to play a bit before.

That's just my gamestop though.

Guys...I'm stuck. I need help picking a character. So far it's between:

Kirby:
Fairly quick and has decent kill moves. Good recovery. I could also play around with him a bit in Melee just to get used to Kirby's moveset, giving me a bit of an advantage.

Ike:
I mained Marth in Melee. Ike is insanely powerful and a heavy character, but I'm afraid of his recovery. One gimped kill would be enough to screw me over. Unlike Kirby, Zelda, or Fox, I can't practice playing with him in Melee to get used to his moves. His final smash is an almost guaranteed kill.

Fox:
Very fast, good recovery, good KO moves. Reflector helps for campers and items, and perhaps even stalling if I'm about to die and the match is close to finishing. I could practice with him in Melee as well. His FS is pretty much unavoidable and very powerful. I'm mainly considering him because if I can apply enough pressure to my opponent, he'd get frustrated and make more mistakes.

Zelda:
Almost everything about Zelda has improved since Melee, but I'm mainly considering her for her insanely powerful Bair and Fair. I've seen them KO Ike at 90-110%. Her recovery also attacks after she lands now, preventing her from getting attacked at close range. Din's Fire is great at juggling opponents (it also has a huge damage radius) and is insanely good for keeping them off the stage in case they happen to survive her Dair or Fair. And like in Melee, damage and knockback increase the further Din's Fire has to travel.

Pit:
I wasn't considering pit until just recently. His recovery would pretty much ensure that I stay alive the entire match. He has high priority, a projectile, reflector, and very quick moves. Has decent kill moves as well, especially his Bair. Good at racking up damage, but as with Ike, I've never played him and can't get used to his moves in Melee.

Give me some input please.

I would say it depends man if you were a marth main go with Ike, If you were a fox main go with fox, If you played alot with zenda go with zenda,

It all depends on your playing style

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
There is basically a cost-benefit analysis for melee players who haven't played brawl.

Cost would be difficulty to pick up, benefit would be how well the character fits into this ****ed up set of rules gamestop is laying down.

Sheik (Old main who's weaker in Brawl):
I'm a Sheik/Gdorf main, so would I be completely wrong to use sheik? I could practice right now in Melee not using anything but her usmash and fsmash, no more fairs. That has the least cost, and I KNOW I'll be able to run circles around most of the people I'll be playing, but I'm not sure about the benefit.

Cost: None
Benefit: mediocre

DDD:
He has an insane amount of benefit, since he's got a great recovery and weighs a ton. However, since I am used to a fast character, I might be SOL on this one. Would practicing with Bowser reduce the cost of this character?

Cost: ???
Benefit: Great

Ike:
He is a slow marth. His benefit is monumental, and his cost doesn't seem all that high. I'm just wondering about how hard it would be to pick him up and adjust for the startup time of his moves.

Cost: Likely less than DDD
Benefit: Good

Zelda:
She's up there in my consideration. She's got a reflector, and good projectiles. While she's been buffed all to hell, she looks like she plays very similarly, which will allow for Melee practice.

Cost: Very Little

Kirby:
Everyone's favorite puffball has insane recovery and buffed range. But. He's. Liiiight.

Cost: None
Benefit: Fair

ZSS:
To me she looks like Sheik with a **** whip. Leet. However, from all I've heard, she takes a while to acclimate to. Once you do, you can spam armor, have range, and a great tether recovery. It also seems obvious that you will be able to dance around most competitors. She may be the best choice if you have some warm up time.

Cost: Considerable

Once I get a response to this post, if it is favorable, we can research counterpicks to likely char choices (I'm looking at you, Ike).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
why not go for a chance at the free copy? you know save a little money, have a good time. . . you never know you could even sell the ticket to someone lol
2 reasons. The closest tournament is an hour drive from me, and I already have a ton of friends in my area in which I could host a better tournament and win back $50. The second reason is because I would have to compete against my friend NESN00b, and basically he is the only other good person that will be there. Considering I win, I would prevent him from going further AND I wouldn't even participate in round 2.

Oh, for those who are planning on using Ike. Check out that video that talks about his super armor frames. I'm sure you can score some easy free kills by randomly charging his neutral B to bait in a n00b into smashing and then take the hit and slam them with the attack. It seems like there are plenty of frames of armor so it seems like a safe tactic.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYmG4_6ews

Knowledge is power!
You know you want to do this. Do it for the lulz.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I happen to be a manager at a GameStop, so let me give my two cents.
There are two big reasons that this will be a Brawl tournament.

Number 1: Nowhere in our e-mails or store informers did it ever say that it was going to be Melee. Also in many cases a Melee tournament would be impossible, as the game has become moderately uncommon and many stores don't have a single used copy to use.

Number 2: The Brawl Midnight Launch planner states that the players will compete using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo, as many of you know, this combo could only be supported with a Wii game, and would be impossible to use while playing a gamecube game.

If anyone has any questions concering the midnight event, don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind spilling beans.
No Classic Controller?

otter

Smash Ace
So there are some people saying you get no prizes for round 1, and most people seem to think you get a copy of the game. Do we know for sure what's up?

I also hope they figure out what controllers they want to use. It will probly just be up to individual store.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I'm bringing my wavebird to the tournament on the 9th whether the store likes it or not. Gamestop can go **** themselves for gimping people with the nunchuck combo (even though I'm trying to get a job there over the summer.)

MRX

Smash Cadet
Jeez.... people are taking this tournament seriously. -.-" Well, I would like to be supportive and say that good luck guys on your tournament play!! I would love to join the tournament play as much as many of you would like, but I work and going on vacation on the third week of tournament so playing to win isn't in my head! Good luck y'all!

Snakeee

Smash Master
Guys I tried using the nunchuck + Wiimote and I have to say it does take some getting used to. I think my biggest problems were having the jump button on my left, and the B button under the controller (kept feeling like it would make me shield). I kinda got the hang of it after about 10 - 15 mins but you guys arent gonna have that much time so if that's what they're using I suggest you try out the game somehow first.
Also, why are people saying that Ike's recovery sucks?? It's actually not that bad at all (you do know he can recover with forward B right? Charge it until youre alligned with the ledge then release)

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
So there are some people saying you get no prizes for round 1, and most people seem to think you get a copy of the game. Do we know for sure what's up?

I also hope they figure out what controllers they want to use. It will probly just be up to individual store.
The gamestop site itself says there will be individual prizes at each of the four tournaments.

It sucks that we can't use GC or classic, but even being able to use the wiimote sideways would be pretty good. I'll be happy as long as I don't have to do the wiimote + nunchuck combo.

neowulf297

Smash Rookie
Ok does any one know how to grab items in midair? Is it still z (or it counterpart)? This could help with catching items right out from under some one.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Ok does any one know how to grab items in midair? Is it still z (or it counterpart)? This could help with catching items right out from under some one.
I know attacking while in midair will grab items. Not sure about items that are being thrown at you though. Probably the same thing.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Is gamestop seriously going to force us to use the wiimote in tournament play?Last time I checked,the rules said they would provide us with a variety of 4 controllers to choose from.

eugoogalizer

Smash Rookie
I was at the mall today and decided to stop by Gamestop (hearing rumors of first round being Melee and not Brawl) and asked the store manager if the tournament would be based on Brawl or Melee. He said Melee. Now I don't know if this varies with other stores, but this definitely got my hopes up of having any chance in the tourny, due to I've never really played Melee.

Anyone else getting the same answer? And no I'm not a troll, just simply stating what I'm told.

Zevox

Smash Lord

cetona

Smash Rookie
You might need to check on the sign ups, my local gamestop is only accepting 16 players and is already making them sign up. They started sign ups started on Sunday and already had 16 people signed up by the end of the day.

Top Bottom