• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch Match-up Export Thread Directory

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
and you've played what olimar mains???

fair will more than likely get whistled when off stage
There was one at Shuffle and Cut I played in August 31st...it wasn't you. I know that lol.

I played one at Quiznos VI, I think...and I essentially gave up in that set when my controller started to do BS to me lol. It was vs some guy named RichBrown who I thought was pretty good.

But seriously, if you're at Genesis, I'm up for a $5-$10 MM if I see you first day. I have brand new controllers (bought the LAST FREAKING ONES from Circuit City before they died) so I won't john.

Cook

Smash Master
There was one at Shuffle and Cut I played in August 31st...it wasn't you. I know that lol.

I played one at Quiznos VI, I think...and I essentially gave up in that set when my controller started to do BS to me lol. It was vs some guy named RichBrown who I thought was pretty good.

But seriously, if you're at Genesis, I'm up for a $5-$10 MM if I see you first day. I have brand new controllers (bought the LAST FREAKING ONES from Circuit City before they died) so I won't john.
RichBrown is a scrub.

<3 RichBrown

asob4

Smash Champion
if mr. x wasn't ridiculously good, i'd say me and rich are the best oli's in so cal

<3 awex but you been gone :[

going to SCSA??
me, mr. x, and maybe rich should all be there

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I probably won't be able to make it to any other tournaments besides Genesis...

I mean I have SO LITTLE time during the schoolweek. Spring Break is shot for me unless I can find anything on the East Coast that isn't drastically out of the way from Washington D.C. So yeah...I'm hoping to be available in the Summertime.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
So here's gishnak's story. Gishnak watched Leepuff destroy some scrub olimar
Skank
and learned how to approach the matchup.

As leepuff mentioned, being aggressive is key. Campy gdubs has a hard time with olimar, because if you give olimar breathing room he can space/pivot grab etc, and life is worse. Grabs own in this matchup too. I played RichBrown in some friendlies, and as soon as I became overly aggressive I did much better.

I think this matchup is 55/45 or even 60/40 in gdubs favor.

<3 gaying Skank with jungle japes.

Cook

Smash Master
On Jungle Japes if Olimar tries to up-air G&W through one of the small platforms (a lot of Olimars like to up-air through the stage if they're on a ledge) then G&W can stage spike him THROUGH THE STAGE by up b'ing out of shield.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
On Jungle Japes if Olimar tries to up-air G&W through one of the small platforms (a lot of Olimars like to up-air through the stage if they're on a ledge) then G&W can stage spike him THROUGH THE STAGE by up b'ing out of shield.
This is good to know. Thanks!

LeePuff

Smash Rookie
Haha gishnak is too pro. So i agree with making it 55/45 in g&W's favor. Although g&W has the ability to **** olimar, if you face an olimar good enough(like skank) then you will see the matchup as more even. Haha wow asc853 really? That's some pretty interesting info. So it must look kinda funny when olimar gets stage spiked like that huh? Gotta put that into my arsenal of tricks :)

Cook

Smash Master
Yeah, it's really dumb, but really funny. Just another reason for Captain Olimar to avoid the left platform at all costs.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Haha gishnak is too pro. So i agree with making it 55/45 in g&W's favor. Although g&W has the ability to **** olimar, if you face an olimar good enough(like skank) then you will see the matchup as more even. Haha wow asc853 really? That's some pretty interesting info. So it must look kinda funny when olimar gets stage spiked like that huh? Gotta put that into my arsenal of tricks :)
They both have the ability to **** one another depending on the range.

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i did it to him at low percent, so i dunno if it kills ever, but it will for sure on the left side. and it will for sure if you spike him into a klap trap! :laugh:

asob4

Smash Champion
<3 gishnak
<3 leepuff

i can agree with 55/45 GnW
not a huge disadvantage

@gish: if i didn't lose the first i wouldn't have been ****ed with your counterpick of either rainbow or japes
so yeah hella gay vs GnW >.>
i beat you bad on yoshi's island though ;D

K@0S

Smash Ace
Haha too good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I played Kurohito and got owned at Races, so I will immediately point out it is a fairly close matchup.

Lucario's F-smash is pretty stupidly safe, much like G&W's Smashes, only his F-smash has a bit more range on it so he'll like camping with that in order to score some easy KOs. The solution? Learn to bait it out and powershield it.

Lucario is a fair bit harder to juggle than some characters because of his incredibly safe D-air, but you can N-air or Up-B out of shield if he does it on your shield. Up-B invul frames are awesome for beating him up when he starts D-air stalling.

From the side...he doesn't want to take you on at all in the air cause you have more range.

Can't say much else since I'd appreciate more experience. Anyhow where is Slivik?

Timbers

check me out
I don't believe GaW can punish fsmash at tipper range with PS. He can punish a lot of things in this matchup but I don't believe a wellspaced fsmash is one of them.

This matchup is mad stage dependant I think, it's really hard to throw numbers at it due to how much it can/will fluxuate stage to stage, but the advantage to GaW is certainly there.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'm not a G&W, but Lucario and G&W are probably the matchups I know best with Peach, and I've been coaching a Lucario against a G&W so if you don't mind, I'll join in here. I've also played with Xefnir, Kurohito, phi1ny3, and Samuelson IRL from the Lucario side, and Valdens, Onski, Corimon, and a few other G&W's in NorCal.

Definitely G&W's favor, for starters, but it's a very interesting matchup. G&W doesn't really have much ability to punish Lucario's fsmash out of powershield, unlike most characters. While G&W's bucket prevents aura sphere camping, it doesn't prevent the Lucario from throwing out charged spheres at close range since bucketing them results in a free fsmash for Lucario.

What the Lucario's I've watched usually do is camp G&W's with retreating rolls, fsmash, and ftilts, then using jab to punish spacing mistakes. G&W's nair messes Lucario up in the air and the Lucario has to be wary not to push his combos too hard because of G&W's up-B (and don't dair his shield >_< ).

Lucario's jab, ftilt, and fsmash seem to be the best moves in this matchup. Due to Lucario's superior range, the G&W is the one forced to approach in this matchup, but he has all the tools necessary to do so. Problem is that the fact that Lucario has to rely on spacing fsmash in this matchup means it will probably go stale and with bucket breaking G&W will not die as fast as one would hope.

Most importantly, low percentage kills screw Lucario over. If G&W lands a smash attack at 80, Lucario is probably not going to win the match, despite his ability for comebacks.

I've seen G&W vs Lucario matchups run the timer out- it can get pretty gay, since Lucario shouldn't be approaching :/

I'd have a tough time rating this matchup with a number, as I'm the coach and not the player here xD But I'm thinking 60:40 in G&W's favor. You guys decide. Hope my input helps :)

EDIT: Also, I would also like to note that Peach vs G&W is my absolute favorite (in terms of fun) matchup in the game. If any G&W's wish to MM me at Genesis, I'll take it. It's a hard matchup but I just enjoy it too much xD

Lee Puff, you're mine.

Timbers

check me out
You have to **** up very badly to actually get hit by GaW's smashes in a consistant manner. Fair being able to **** Luc's vulnerable offstage game is far more scary than his smashes imo.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
lucario's Fsmash is one of the advantages that he has over mgw it's hard for mgw players to avoid from all the mgw mains i've played thats almost all you will hear from me.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
It's pretty hard for G&W to land one of his smashes against a good Lucario. As Lucario i try to stay out of air since G&W beats Lucario there really bad. I think Lucario beats G&W on the ground though. G&W can't really do anything to Lucario from his Dthrow since we roll really far away and we don't need to tech it to avoid Dsmash.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It's pretty hard for G&W to land one of his smashes against a good Lucario. As Lucario i try to stay out of air since G&W beats Lucario there really bad. I think Lucario beats G&W on the ground though. G&W can't really do anything to Lucario from his Dthrow since we roll really far away and we don't need to tech it to avoid Dsmash.
I agree. Lucario has the ability to space to avoid all of G&W's smashes (so does Peach). I just thought it worth mentioning because if he DOES manage to predict you with a smash, you're screwed xD

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I often play against the best Lucario in Georgia (I main G&W despite the Pikachu and Wario icons :p).

To win this matchup, you must play incredibly patient. Lucario is really good at disrupting momentum. You have to be extra careful because Lucario has the ability to play agressively defensive, so sometimes it's hard to get in Lucario's range in the air and on the ground.

Lucario is most dangerous on the ground, so it's smart to play pretty campy against him. Only use the bucket at unpunishable ranges. Sometimes Lucario will bait you to fill the bucket at close ranges to punish you, so be cautious. Use down tilt if he approaches from the ground, and up-b out of shield if he approaches from the air (but use up-b after his attack hits your shield). If you must approach him, I like to use full hopped tippered fairs. This is to avoid his range and also allows you to be in range of his rolls if he rolls behind you. A big part of versing Lucario is taking up as much space around him so you can punish his rolls (which is super hard). If you are able to grab him, down throw him a few times to condition him for G&W's other throws. If you want, you can down throw and tech chase him for some more down throws. Once you feel you have conditioned the Lucario enough, grab him near the edge and throw him off stage (this will make the Lucario have bad DI and air dodge). This is where G&W *****. Abuse fairs a lot. G&W has tons of freedom off stage and can sometimes gimp Lucario if you're smart. If Lucario is about to recover, grab the ledge, and if Lucario makes it to the stage, punish Lucario's recovery by using a ledge hopped fair. On stages where Lucario can wall cling, predict it and use a fair.

For bair and nair -> bair is good but only sometimes, since the Lucario can simply powershield the first hit and then c-stick roll the rest of the hits. Nair is good for intercepting Lucario after he gets hit/thrown in the air. It's also good for platform pressure.

For downair and up-air -> up-air is really good for baiting an attack. Put Lucario in the range where up-air will make him float but not hurt him. This will bait an attack or airdodge, but still keep him in the position where you can hit him with an up-b. For down air: down air is pretty good, mostly used for mix ups or baiting attacks. Another thing I like to use for baiting is use a smash attack at a safe range, then they come up to punish and you use a down tilt to stop their approach.

One of Lucario's biggest weaknesses verse G&W is that G&W kills Lucario so early that Lucario's aura isn't as effective here. Abuse this. It'll be hard to land a smash attack, but you've got tech chase -> upsmash, and you should be able to predict Lucario's roll dodge since it's so abusable. Most of your kills will be from edgeguarding though. If you really want to kill with a smash, it requires even more patience because you have to wait for an opening. Don't get hit while being patient though. Zone with nair.

Lucario will beat you if you are impatient and have bad spacing. The matchup is 60:40 in favor of G&W.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I hate this match-up so much. I don't like being forced into a predictable camp game, nor the fact a short opponent has ridiculous kill power, even if he has trouble landing it.

60:40 G&W

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Simple. Just jump and click A.

I don't know if it's really effective, but I see other G&Ws use nair for zoning :chuckle:

I guess it could stop Lucario from approaching, but Lucario shouldn't really be approaching to begin with.

LeePuff

Smash Rookie
Ok so my Bro BoA used to play/still kinda does play lucario so i have some osrt of experience against this character, also ive played against samuelson a few times i think. I hear everyone talk about G&W having to camp...but you don't really have to. If you pressure Lucario into the air then you can eventually build enough damage with nairs and bairs to finish him off with a fair...of course you can always just mindgame the other player with a smash attack (which is usually what i do) to finish him off at around 80% too. Im sure camping works well to though, just not my style. I agree with the 60/40 G&W's favor. G&W's air priority, early kills, and edge guard ability against lucario seems to leave G&W for the advantage.

Hahaha Oh snapz Praxis calling me out eh? hahah i would be glad to face you praxis :) I sure hope i get to go to Genesis though cuz im not sure if im going yet. If i do though, 5$ money match sound fine?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Ok so my Bro BoA used to play/still kinda does play lucario so i have some osrt of experience against this character, also ive played against samuelson a few times i think. I hear everyone talk about G&W having to camp...but you don't really have to. If you pressure Lucario into the air then you can eventually build enough damage with nairs and bairs to finish him off with a fair...of course you can always just mindgame the other player with a smash attack (which is usually what i do) to finish him off at around 80% too. Im sure camping works well to though, just not my style. I agree with the 60/40 G&W's favor. G&W's air priority, early kills, and edge guard ability against lucario seems to leave G&W for the advantage.

Hahaha Oh snapz Praxis calling me out eh? hahah i would be glad to face you praxis :) I sure hope i get to go to Genesis though cuz im not sure if im going yet. If i do though, 5$ money match sound fine?
Just wondering, how are you able to pressure Lucario into the air? Any of G&W's throws (minus d-throw) will get Lucario in the air, but getting into his range for a grab is a burden. But for pressuring..... does bacon spam work good for this? I might try that. I'm versing the GA Lucario today.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've played Valdens once or twice, so I'd like to say I've had some experience.
Tech throw isn't entirely very easy for G&W. It's possible to punish some lucario options, but this isn't going to be a free dsmash or anything like that. G&W ability to kill early must come from either gimping or the guy totally not knowing about the matchup and getting smashed. Lucario's ground game is pretty good (I kind of like jab, tilts, and fsmash in this matchup for lucario), but frankly we'll get gimped very easily if the G&W is smart. But there are a few ways to make lucario "less" vulnerable. For example, if we are recovering from above, we can do some dair stalling to mess up timing if you want to kill with fair, but doesn't work very well if you predict it. Also, if someone is edgehogging, lucario can fire a BAS or fair/uair (although this won't work very well if they ledgehop a bair or nair), basically providing both options similar to Olimar's aerial anti-hogging and Ivysaur's Razor leaf anti-hogging.
This is more stage dependent than anything, G&W lurvs RC vs. Lucario, it's just horrible there for lucario. Frigate Orpheon is note entirely that great for a lucario CP, since even though the pretty large stage kill zones allow lucario to live earlier, this also means G&W can use bucket brake more and we can't take advantage of his light weight to kill him early either.
imo 60:40 Gay Men Watch's favor, although I'm slightly inclined to say that it could potentially become 55:45 (not really tho).

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
A few thoughts on my matchups against Fogo's Lucario:

Learn to smash DI his aerials when you are at low percents. DI is good, but he can still connected his fairs and nairs on you. SDI makes it much more difficult for him to do follow up combos.

Don't get baited into his fsmash. This is Lucario's favorite kill move. It's super powerful when Lucario is at high percents and you can't afford to get hit. Just be patient.

Lucario's uair is deceivingly good. It sometimes goes through your key. When you are at high percents I would advise against not using the key.

G&W's fair is a great move against Lucario. It helps a lot when trying to gimp Lucario since his recovery sucks quite a bit. If you don't use it for gimping, save it as a kill move.

Don't be fooled by Lucario's aura sphere. If you are at high percents, do not bucket on the ground. Unless the Lucario is spamming the heck out of you with this, I honestly wouldn't try to fill your bucket. You don't need it to win.

As usual, G&W's bair and nair are amazing in this matchup. If you can learn how to bait Lucario's airdodge, you'll do really well in this matchup.

Dthrow doesn't seem too good in this matchup. If the lucario knows how to tech roll it's REALLY hard to techchase because of his long roll. I think it's better to just bait a roll and punish with Upsmash. Learn the spacing you need for the Upsmash to connect with his long roll. If you do grab them at high percents I normally like to do a grounded grab release, run forward anticipating a roll and fair.

LeePuff

Smash Rookie
Just wondering, how are you able to pressure Lucario into the air? Any of G&W's throws (minus d-throw) will get Lucario in the air, but getting into his range for a grab is a burden. But for pressuring..... does bacon spam work good for this? I might try that. I'm versing the GA Lucario today.
Well you can pressure lucario into the air by mixing up a series of keys and turtles in front of him. Now by in front of him i dont mean literally right in front of him so he can punish you. I mean that you should turtle space just right anough to hit him, and also mix it up by doing a full hop d-air everyonce in a while. By doing this, the lucario can't simply roll around and f-smash. They are forced to fight back which invlolves them getting into the air, seeing as how their main fighting moves are all in the air. After this you know they eventually are gonna try to land so read it and combo em ^_^ (haha sorry kinda bad advice but its all i gotz)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Well you can pressure lucario into the air by mixing up a series of keys and turtles in front of him. Now by in front of him i dont mean literally right in front of him so he can punish you. I mean that you should turtle space just right anough to hit him, and also mix it up by doing a full hop d-air everyonce in a while. By doing this, the lucario can't simply roll around and f-smash. They are forced to fight back which invlolves them getting into the air, seeing as how their main fighting moves are all in the air. After this you know they eventually are gonna try to land so read it and combo em ^_^ (haha sorry kinda bad advice but its all i gotz)
I'll try it next time I verse some top tier Lucarios.

Srsly?

Smash Rookie
I play against a very good Lucario frequently, doesn't have a name on here though I think.

I can second the "Dont get baited into the fsmash" statement, far too risky to be messing with that kind of range and power.

His dair beats G&Ws nair so the Lucario can stomp dairs on platforms if you try to shark the platform with nair.

Most of what I can advise has already been said, but don't let Lucario juggle you or it will be a quick win for him because he accumulated damage pretty quickly.

If your able to get a bucket alot of Lucario players will panic and try to get a counter on it, so sometimes its good just to hold a bucket just to make the Lucario overly cautious.

Top Bottom